test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] 26th Century Dreadnought R&D Promotion!

Comments

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Anyone notice the nacells on the fed ship? Is it me or does it look like broken polygons strung together to look like a starship?

2b7852480cc2e6eb252ca53931e5d9db1488840538.jpg

Seriously am I seeing actual rendering issues in this promo picture because the one nacell looks like it's stitting on a toothpick of a strut that actually doesn't appear to be touching any part of the nacell and the blue part is almost floating there.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    After about 6 years, they finally did it. The Enterprise-J was one of the entries in the Engineering Reports from the first year that Cryptic was planning to add to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvuM3DjvYf0
  • Options
    jcsteelejcsteele Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    If that's the way Cryptic wants to make money, more power to them. I'm just not giving them my Zen for this flustercuck.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    While starkaos' vid above works, I feel the following also works for this bit of idiocy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwn358yvWjM
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    monodoso wrote: »
    The chances of getting this ship are so far out there. I tried with the T6 Constitution promo. After 150 boxes, no ship.

I truly don't mean to be a smart aleck, but selling 150 boxes for 20,000,000 EC (A very reasonable price during these promotions) would have gotten you (in theory, I know there are EC limits) 3,000,000,000 EC. That's 3 BILLION. More than enough for two Tier 6 prime connies. You won't get bit that badly if you just do a little research. The forums are full of people who are willing to help, and full of threads about why selling boxes for EC and buying the ship is much better than gambling for it. Hopefully this helps you for the future...
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    Seriously am I seeing actual rendering issues in this promo picture because the one nacell looks like it's stitting on a toothpick of a strut that actually doesn't appear to be touching any part of the nacell and the blue part is almost floating there.

That's what it's supposed to look like.
    I'm going to pass on this promotion. The Rommie ship looks like it's the only one I'd consider flying, and I've got plenty of R&D stuff right now, anyway.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    I was excited for this until I got to the part where it mentioned it's in an R&D Promo Pack. Why can't we have more ships in the C-Store instead of lockboxes and promo packs?
  • Options
    sorojisoroji Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    How high is the person coming up with these promotions? The model for the Enterprise J was badly done, nacelles held on with tooth picks and maybe some space glue... maybe. I can' see it wasn't improved upon at all since the temporal missions and the BfPV stf...

Put things on the C store...
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Anyone notice the nacells on the fed ship? Is it me or does it look like broken polygons strung together to look like a starship?

Drexler even said he wants to one day make a ship with nacelles floating along side the ship, no physical attachments....sorta like the Iconian ships.....and I LOVE the idea.

And remember, an advanced society, far in advance of our own, would have technology that would make a mainstream engineer or scientist go "WTF??????!!!!!!!" As Doug said, "stop thinking with the 'ape brain." i'm working on ideas similar
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    firstaid#5667 firstaid Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Can't we call them something else like '26th Century Heavy Explorers' or something? I know it seems minor, but why do we call every large cruiser a dreadnought now?

Also kinda wish these were c-store items.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    As a rule I don't want anything to do with R&D promos. The boxes are more expensive and unlike regular boxes there's nothing in them to soften the edge on not winning. Odd that they haven't fixed the nacelles since we first saw the J in game but moot for me really.

I wouldn't count on it being especially overpowered either; I predict a single hangar bay (maybe with some new heavy fighters) and some sort of lance console, and £1 says that will be Tox Uthat related.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    This is all....

jiFfM.jpg

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User

Actually that's how it supposed to be. I've googled "Enterprise J Model" and everything is fine.

Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2BUSS%2BEnterprise-J%2Bmodel%2B2.jpg
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    lol lots of butt hurt in the thread. Sheer entertainment.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    While I personally don't care for the idea of introducing these ships into the game I have to admit that the Romulan ship looks pretty sharp. Regardless, I'd prefer to see them for sale in the C Store instead of wasting zen trying to win the ship lottery. I will abstain from this promotion.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

^^^^
    Ask Doug Drexler - he designed it and the model it pretty spot on here (if smaller than what was stated by Mr. Drexler.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Sweet mother of...

And the best/worst part is, I totally want that Valkis.

So, I take it the turn rate is about 3?
    Darn, I'd be afraid to put that thing in orbit of a planet, I'd be too afraid to cause a mess with tidal forces.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    gxv4gxv4 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Whats next?

gNV7X3P.png
    Blue02.png
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    gxv4 wrote: »
    Whats next?
    This was also my first thought when I saw the Breach event announcement: "Hmm, they've tweaked the model a bit. I can't imagine why...".
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    For a comparison:
    20161101120551_1.jpg
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Whats next?

gNV7X3P.png

We will obviously never see that ship as playable. I do however, expect to see a Voth Citadel at some point. It's just a matter of time.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Whats next?
    I wouldn't mind this as a new holding for the fleets.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Sweet mother of...

And the best/worst part is, I totally want that Valkis.

So, I take it the turn rate is about 3?
    Darn, I'd be afraid to put that thing in orbit of a planet, I'd be too afraid to cause a mess with tidal forces.

If you run across the J in your quest, and don't want it, PLEASE contact me! ~puppy dog eyes~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

Actually that's how it supposed to be. I've googled "Enterprise J Model" and everything is fine.

Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2BUSS%2BEnterprise-J%2Bmodel%2B2.jpg

That is messed up, but hey it'll float some peoples boats to open their wallets. Not me though. :neutral:
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    i wont waste money on boxes for a ship, i tried that once, 3k in zen 2 yrs ago, and 0 ships, i wont try that again. i will buy them from the c store and i will not spend upwards of hudreds on boxes just to get a ship, i will loose out on the constitution cause of that and the enterprise j. when you decide to put them in the c store, i will then consider getting them till then keep em. there not worth what people spend to get them.
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User

Really? I just went and looked up the scene in Enterprise where you see the Enterprise J, and even though you can only see the nacelles from a rather small visual in the hallway, it doesnt look like the pylons extend past them like that. Someone said that they think it's fine since it's future tech. I'd be ok with that reason as well...if it didnt look like a mistake.

Regaurdless if it's supposed to look like that or not or whatever reason they can think of to justify it, the way the end result looks, makes it seem like a mistake, and they need to address that. if that means moving the nacelles, or making a few other changes, doesn't matter, but what we have now looks like either a lazy artist, or graphical errors. I mean, I dont know about anyone else, but when I first saw the J in the story mission, I was convinced it had missing textures or something.
    gilion wrote: »
    I'd be ok with that reason as well...if it didnt look like a mistake.

Regaurdless if it's supposed to look like that or not or whatever reason they can think of to justify it, the way the end result looks, makes it seem like a mistake, and they need to address that. if that means moving the nacelles, or making a few other changes, doesn't matter, but what we have now looks like either a lazy artist, or graphical errors. I mean, I dont know about anyone else, but when I first saw the J in the story mission, I was convinced it had missing textures or something.
    The main reason it's like this is that, from Memory Alpha:
    A CGI model of the ship was built by production illustrator Doug Drexler. According to Robert Bonchune, "From what I understand, it was done quick and dirty, so was not really detailed in any way like a model we would use in multiple shots." [1] Drexler himself explained, "With two days before a production meeting [I had] to think fast and not obsess… especially since I wanted [Production Designer] Herman [Zimmerman] to be able to show a rendered animation of the ship in flight [....] If we had a few weeks, it would have finalized differently. As it was, the model was bashed out in a matter of hours."
    But it is not a mistake.

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    nikolunus wrote: »
    By the great bird of the galaxy I think this is a bad idea putting these in game, there really should be some ships that should not become playable and the J should be one of those.

Agreed. I dearly miss the times when you jumped to fight the Borg surrounded by Defiants, Vestas, Galaxy-X etc. Now a typical team has Breen, Jem'Hadar and Kobali ships everywhere. This isn't more a MMORPG. This is only a MMOG. It is sad that the cost of the game beeing alive costed its identity.

Yeah, because in real life there is no such thing as captured enemy vehicles, defectors, alliances, equipment loaning, military equipment sales, joint operations, personnel exchanges and of course, pretending your captain is in one of those situations can't be considered roleplaying.

Hell it's even in canon, the D7 is a Klingon cruiser and they sold it to the Romulans, there is also the HMS Bounty, the cell ship and xindi shuttle Archer captured, the captured Jem'Hadar ship they used to steal the Breen energy dissipation weapon.

The game even offers explanations to some of those situations, claiming that many ships were either captured, salvaged or directly purchased by the Lobi consortium just to sell them to the KDF/Rom/Fed alliance.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Cryptic just keeps raising the bar when it comes to promotions.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator