test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

K-13 Android

So, yeah, bought Andrea, the K-13 Android. 2 things that bother me:

1) You can't change her appearance. First Android I have that disallows such change. She looks fine, but I would have loved to slap a, you know, Android part on her. Now she just looks human.

2) She can't be taught any 23c abilities (beyond Ensign). That's annoying. She's a boff, and she's 23c as well (at least from K-13, so she should be).
3lsZz0w.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Minor improvements could be made i am sure they will happen soon then!

but yeah totally agree.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Aren't all 23C abilities beyond Ensign broken right now? There's a thread I just read about that...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    bergins wrote: »
    Aren't all 23C abilities beyond Ensign broken right now? There's a thread I just read about that...

Yep, just found the thread in the bug section. :) Thx. So, I hope that, at least, gets fixed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, are there screenshots out there of these two BOffs? I don't remember seeing one in the blogs, I suppose I should go look...
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    Hey, are there screenshots out there of these two BOffs? I don't remember seeing one in the blogs, I suppose I should go look...

Here's quick shot of Andrea I took from my UI (not at the tailor):

211sdhu.jpg
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I have the KT android and you cant change his looks beyond eye color and uni.
  • Options
    alonar wrote: »
    I have the KT android and you cant change his looks beyond eye color and uni.

Odd; Andrea you can't change at all: totally greyed out.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    211sdhu.jpg

Dumb question. Can her uniform be changed?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Hmm... So, you can change Dr Brown's uniform? Interesting. Wonder if they'll "fix" that like they did for the Mr Potatohead BOff? Many other "unique" BOffs have set appearances. Leeta, Nelin Exil, Reman & Breen BOffs, the original Holo-Tac BOff...
  • Options
    feiqa wrote: »
    211sdhu.jpg

Dumb question. Can her uniform be changed?

Like I just said, "Odd; Andrea you can't change at all: totally greyed out." :)

Her uniform is probably wht you can't change her (as her suit is nor a standard item). Not a good reason not to be able change her, though, as I have a Liberated Borg too, also with a unique armor suit, that you can change just fine. Also, she's an android. All androids I've had could be fully customized with android head-parts and such, as well as their clothing.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    She is not programmed to please you.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also, wrong android style. Vet androids are of an unknown origin, but they're apparently not Soong or Korby-types.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminns wrote: »

Yeah, now the thread officially got weird. Let's not go there, please. I want the Devs to fix her.

Anyway, do we know Andrea is "apparently not Soong or Korby-types"? Apart from her somewhat out-of-place uniform (or, rather, a uniform I can't so directly place), for an Android, I don't see why she couldn't be a spawn of Soong.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator

Yeah, now the thread officially got weird. Let's not go there, please. I want the Devs to fix her.

Anyway, do we know Andrea is "apparently not Soong or Korby-types"? Apart from her somewhat out-of-place uniform (or, rather, a uniform I can't so directly place), for an Android, I don't see why she couldn't be a spawn of Soong.

@markhawkman was saying that the Veteran Android is not a Soong or Korby-type. Although, I disagree, and think that the Veteran Android would fall into the Soong-type category as it is meant to mimic Data, and most likely represents the Daystrom Institute's continued research in that field.

Andrea, however, is a Korby-type Android, and the uniform she is wearing is lifted directly from the TOS episode in which she appeared, "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" And I believe @ltminns line is a reference to a line spoken by her in that episode in which she tells Kirk that she is "not programmed" for him. Given K-13's TOS setting, and the fact she is lifted directly from TOS, Andrea would be the spawn of Korby engineering, not Soong.

Do I understand that there is an option for a Brown, Korby-type Android? If so, does anyone have a pic? Personally, I think it'd be great if they also had the Ruk "Old Ones" type Android. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options

No, she is a Korby Android, from the TOS episode "What are Little Girls Made Of?", as is the Dr Brown model, and the uniform.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Are_Little_Girls_Made_Of?

The Star Trek Nerd Council will be through shortly to start the inquiry into the validity of your Trek Fan-ness.

Oh, I bought Doc Brown, mostly based on the report that your could change his uniform. I cannot. The buttons are greyed out in the Tailor. I misread the post talking about 0718, thinking they meant Brown.
  • Options
    Andrea, however, is a Korby-type Android, and the uniform she is wearing is lifted directly from the TOS episode in which she appeared, "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" And I believe @ltminns line is a reference to a line spoken by her in that episode in which she tells Kirk that she is "not programmed" for him. Given K-13's TOS setting, and the fact she is lifted directly from TOS, Andrea would be the spawn of Korby engineering, not Soong.

Ah. Thx for this useful background info. I had no clue. :) Netflix is streaming TOS now, so I guess I need to go watch it again.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The Star Trek Nerd Council will be through shortly to start the inquiry into the validity of your Trek Fan-ness.

That hearing may be over before it even starts. :P At least it's good to know now where Andrea (and her uniform) came from. Guess that's why you can't customize her, as she's apparently a known entity.

I haste to say this does not excuse the Dev team from having made her so she can't train 23c boff abilities. If she's not programmed for Kirk (that perv!), then at least she needs to be programmed for learning 23c abilities.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    Although I liked Data's character a lot, I always disliked how supposedly he was the only Android when there were what, two episodes with them on TOS? Including a whole planet full of them.

(Not as bad as giving Romulans funny foreheads, when their whole point is that they looked identical to Vulcans and are somehow related to them, but if Vulcans don't have those, then Romulans can't, you just don't evolve stupid foreheads in a few thousand years)
  • Options
    Everytime one of you mentions the Doc Brown android I want him customizable with a white lab coat and wild white hair. . .

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Mudd's Androids.

There may be a case that the Shore Leave planet in the Omicron Delta region also produced Androids programmed to act according to your memories.

Did the Excalpians (The Savage Curtain) create Androids mimicking people from memories and data and acting as they should?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Mudd's Androids.

There may be a case that the Shore Leave planet in the Omicron Delta region also produced Androids programmed to act according to your memories.

Did the Excalpians (The Savage Curtain) create Androids mimicking people from memories and data and acting as they should?

They were rock beings capable of altering the environment on a molecular level. I think they even got to scan space Lincoln and he came up as human to their instruments. Whether he was a biological android or just a puppet is debatable.

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2017

Given her age, a little COBOL will fix that in no time!

Side note: Does she run Linux? Cause I could totally use GnuCOBOL on her then. If she runs BSD however I'm totally going to get her horns, a tail, and a pitch fork weapon.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    discojer wrote: »
    Although I liked Data's character a lot, I always disliked how supposedly he was the only Android when there were what, two episodes with them on TOS? Including a whole planet full of them.

Actually, there were a number of TOS episodes that dealt with androids: "What Are Little Girls Made Of?", "Requiem for Methuselah", "I, Mudd", and "Return to Tomorrow". Not to mention the Ilia probe from TMP, which is classified as an android on Memory Alpha, and the Cravic and Pralor androids from VOY. All of which pre-date the Soong-type Android. The thing that apparently set the Soong-type Android apart was its positronic brain. Presumably, no other android before it possessed one.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    nimbull wrote: »

Side note: Does she run Linux? Cause I could totally use GnuCOBOL on her then. If she runs BSD however I'm totally going to get her horns, a tail, and a pitch fork weapon.
    What about Solaris? :p
    discojer wrote: »
    well, the only functional Soong-type... But yeah the Vet androids have many similarities to Soong types.
    Mudd's Androids.

I think those were more robots than androids though. they didn't seem to actually think.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

What about Solaris? :p ...

Oh dear god! People thought the licensing issues with CBS and getting a Constitution class end game ship was bad! Wait till they have to start paying for another boat for Larry with the per polygon licensing fees for that!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Also, wrong android style. Vet androids are of an unknown origin, but they're apparently not Soong or Korby-types.
    My assumption has always been that the vet androids are based on the work of Bruce Maddox, the guy who wanted to dismantle Data in the episode Measure of a Man. I figure he was eventually successful in creating an android, but found a different way of doing it than Soong did. At least one Trek novel mentioned the idea of a holographic brain rather than positronic (and considering how apparently easy it is for holograms to become sentient, it makes some sense), so I like to think that's what the main difference is between Maddox and Soong androids.
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    How is the android aquired?
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    K-13 Fleet Holding unlock.
  • Options
    lnblade wrote: »
    My assumption has always been that the vet androids are based on the work of Bruce Maddox, the guy who wanted to dismantle Data in the episode Measure of a Man. I figure he was eventually successful in creating an android, but found a different way of doing it than Soong did. At least one Trek novel mentioned the idea of a holographic brain rather than positronic (and considering how apparently easy it is for holograms to become sentient, it makes some sense), so I like to think that's what the main difference is between Maddox and Soong androids.
    Yeah, it does make me wonder. :)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    The 23rd century skills are just incomplete. Boffs can be trained in skills that don't have training manuals available (like Engineering Team) and vice-versa.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1