test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you could remove something from the game, What would it be?

Comments

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    gawainviii wrote: »
    stofsk wrote: »
    Remove one thing from the game? Character bound items. Everything should be account bound, or not.
    Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY don't like this idea. Doing so would encourage even more farming, which would in turn lead to more grinding, which would cause a need for more min/maxed DPSing. YMMV, but I want to play Star Trek--NOT World of Warcraft in Space.

Just my opinion, of course, but I really... REALLY *like* his idea. Seriously, it would allow me to play my alt again. Without this, it remains killed... by Geko, under the illusion I would start fully Upgrading my alt as well. Yeah, right. Instead, I just had to abadon her. :( It's been a while, but I have not forgotten. Zathras remembers.

Nobody's stopping you from playing your alt, but yourself. You're the one making the choice to throw her into the freezer a la John Spartan from Demolition Man. You always have a choice. Whether you tap into motivation and determination is up to you.

If by 'choice' you mean chosing wisely not to embark on a journey to the poorhouse, then sure, my choice. Or you could learn a few basics about Economics, realize money doesn't grow on trees, and that to the vast majority of mankind (to which I belong), money is a scarce good, and that suddenly doubling one's monthly game cost is simply not for everyone.

I didn't invent the insane Upgrade System, Geko did. I just did the math, and realized I could only do this for my main, which effectively meant having to starve my alt. I tapped into my 'motivation and determination' not to wind up having no food on the table half the month. If you insist on calling that a 'choice', be my guest.

It's your choice. You mentioned in other threads the piles of unrefined dilithium that you have on your main. Well, guess what? If you had split that playing time with your alt, you may not have gotten quite as much to begin with, being that the alt is less-geared, but you would have gotten some large percentage of half of that dilithium on the alt, which you could then have used to upgrade that alt, and happily play both. No extra money or time required, and a solution to some of your excess unrefined dilithium problem.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    The insane DPS Hornyness. The Cap on healing. the nerfing of Engineers in space and ground to complete TRIBBLE. Nadion Eversion back to 2010 standards. Tailor Category Limitations. Lack of a PET ONLY Directory Bank for space and ground.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    A vast majority of the playerbase.

I really admire that the thread based on hate has endured longer and gotten more replies than the thread based on things you'd like to see in the game started at the same time.

Especially considering the haters post in the other thread, too.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    But yeah, you're saying everyone would have done lockboxes and the Upgrade system? I doubt it.
    Have you seen basically every other MMO?

Lockboxes were the norm for F2P MMOs long before Cryptic introduced it, and the RNG based crafting system is also fairly typical. STO's crafting is honestly pretty fair compared to most other MMOs I've played, and I have played a lot.
    But they lost a lot of customers too (empty queues; when was the last time you were able to pug a Federation Fleet Defense?!).
    Basically every MMO ends up this way after 4+ years.

People don't play MMOs for fun, they play it as a second job. That is why people only care about how "efficient" they get things done, which always results in people finding ways to get the most out of non queue events, which always results in queues, dungeons, and all but the rare raids, in being empty.

Except, in this case, the queues dropped dead, right after Delta/Dilithium Rising.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »
    It's your choice. You mentioned in other threads the piles of unrefined dilithium that you have on your main. Well, guess what? If you had split that playing time with your alt, you may not have gotten quite as much to begin with, being that the alt is less-geared, but you would have gotten some large percentage of half of that dilithium on the alt, which you could then have used to upgrade that alt, and happily play both. No extra money or time required, and a solution to some of your excess unrefined dilithium problem.

Yeah, no. Indeed, I have untold millions in Unrefined Dilithium. But all my Upgrades largely came from just buying Zen and converting it to usable Dilithium, instead of having it trickle in at 8k per day. Honestly, can't afford that for my alt. Maybe, just maybe, I will one day make 1 full ship Epic on my alt, but I even shudder at the foreseeable cost of doing so. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

I really admire that the thread based on hate has endured longer and gotten more replies than the thread based on things you'd like to see in the game started at the same time.

Really?! I thought the thread topic was actually quite refreshing. :) I mean, ppl always say "I want this!" Or "I want that!" Or they come up with ship designs Cryptic should make, or other 'brilliant' plans to improve the game. So, I figured this thread was kinda nice, focussing on 1 specific beef ppl might have that they'd really like to see removed.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    the neverwinter portion of PWE's forums has like and dislike buttons...STO should have them too​​

The WoW forums have like and dislike buttons, and I personally think they accomplish nothing beneficial for anyone. I've never played Neverwinter (and never will since it's exclusively F2P) so I've never visited those forums and don't know how that feature plays out with Cryptic, but with WoW all it does is add an extra level of toxicity to the forums.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    - - F2P business model. Won't keep the crazies completely out of here but might slow most of them down a bit.
    Again, you'd mess up the primary thing that keeps STO running. Without F2P, they would have already shut down the game and I'm thinking you likely wouldn't want that.

Appreciate the input, but care to offer something that might be - oh I don't know - useful, if it was ever called into question?

At this point this is probably true. However, if Cryptic had made better decisions during the initial development F2P may not have ever been necessary. I despise all F2P models, however Cryptic's is my absolute least favorite.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Something removed? Nothing. If I don't like an aspect of the game I just don't do it. What is so difficult to manage that?
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    - - F2P business model. Won't keep the crazies completely out of here but might slow most of them down a bit.
    Again, you'd mess up the primary thing that keeps STO running. Without F2P, they would have already shut down the game and I'm thinking you likely wouldn't want that.

Appreciate the input, but care to offer something that might be - oh I don't know - useful, if it was ever called into question?

At this point this is probably true. However, if Cryptic had made better decisions during the initial development F2P may not have ever been necessary. I despise all F2P models, however Cryptic's is my absolute least favorite.

Look - they (like the majority of the other Western MMOs that did - read nearly every MMO but WoW) went F2P because:

1) They had evidence gamers would accept/use the model and NOT drop the game (thanks to Dungeons and Dragons Online).
    2) They KNEW that overall, F2P BRINGS IN MORE MONEY/HIGHER PROFIT.

Once DDO (in desperation) tried it; and saw that players took to it (and spent money) - the Western MMO developers finally realized that F2P was acceptable to Western gamers and the flood gates opened.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User

It wasn't supposed to be. It was meant as a creative view-point, since 'removing something in order to improve the whole' is a tried and true method as valid as 'creating something from nothing'. It's also easier to improve a thing by taking-away than it is by adding-to. You often get higher-quality sculptures through removing excess than you do by slapping on more clay to the blob you already have. Works the same with any project.

I just thought it'd be interesting to see what people in the forum would do if given the choice. This is often the kinds of question a room full of Devs gets thrown by 'The Boss'. B)
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    discojer wrote: »
    Fleet ships. It's ridiculous that you spend 3000 for a ship, yet have to then spend another 500 and be in a fleet to get the real version. The hit points isn't a big deal, but the extra console slot is.

LOL at this.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2016

Yeah, no. Indeed, I have untold millions in Unrefined Dilithium. But all my Upgrades largely came from just buying Zen and converting it to usable Dilithium, instead of having it trickle in at 8k per day. Honestly, can't afford that for my alt. Maybe, just maybe, I will one day make 1 full ship Epic on my alt, but I even shudder at the foreseeable cost of doing so. :)

LMAO! Seriously you're killing me guy... Hey do the freaking Romulan rep for the upgrade R&D free dilth cost and boosts for quality and Tech work with them and there are tons of those on the Exchange for EC not dilth. So yeah what a whiner. Guy have pretty much uprated every item on my prime KDf toon with those to Epic so yeah if you really want epic you can do it and not spend Dilth if you put effort in.
  • Options
    jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    Mission reward set pieces all awarded by the same frigging mission. The correct way to do this is as it was done with the Dominion and Breen sets - spread out over a series of "episodes". The hateful, sociopathic way to do it is to make me repeat stuff like "A Step Between the Stars," "Sphere of Influence" and "Dust to Dust" multiple times to complete a mission reward set. I don't care if you're trying to pad your replay stats.

Oh goddess yes! Or at least make the pieces account bound instead of character, just so one doesn't have to drive themselves nutty trying to get all the parts. And it is for this reason I rather loathe re-playing those missions on my toons. And I'll agree - Dominion and Breen did it right.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »

LMAO! Seriously you're killing me guy... Hey do the freaking Romulan rep for the upgrade R&D free dilth cost and boosts for quality and Tech work with them and there are tons of those on the Exchange for EC not dilth. So yeah what a whiner. Guy have pretty much uprated every item on my prime KDf toon with those to Epic so yeah if you really want epic you can do it and not spend Dilth if you put effort in.

This right here. That was on meimeitoo for throwing cash at zen for dil, when it's stupid easy to get the dil on alts, every 10 days the rommy upgrade tokens from the admiralty, ON TOP of the admiralty for KDF tour of duty for more dil, on top of getting the dil for pretty much everything else. That 8k-8.5k each day, could easily be grown with a couple alts into 17k+. And if you have multiple alts that don't have T5 rep with each rep group, there are also the CCA/MI events for that. Now, I haven't taken economics since high school, but I know enough about the F2P game, to where if I need to increase my dilithium refining capacity, i spend zen on character slots(zen that I gain from saving my dil and converting it to the gold coins), and create more dil batteries. Fresh level 50 stands to make...250k-300k+ unrefined dil from the CCA event itself. Funnel dil through dil exchange, and you don't have to throw greenbacks or whatever RL currency while crying about how you can't afford more than one toon. So yes, it is a choice that you willingly make.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    This right here. That was on meimeitoo for throwing cash at zen for dil, when it's stupid easy to get the dil on alts,

There we go with the alts again.
    every 10 days the rommy upgrade tokens from the admiralty,

Riiight. Do you even hear yourself?! LOL. Okay, let's quickly examine this, then. Say, we're planning to upgrade a single KCB. For sinplicity's sake, we asssume it's already at Mk XIV. At 358K Upgrade Points per round, and (generously) assuming you manage to get it to Epic in 5 rounds, that's 1,790,000 required points, aka 119 Romulan Tech Upgrades. So, 1190 days (according to your own time table), aka 3.34 years. Yeah, adding those to the equation really helps. :P

Now, 1,790,000 / 12800 points (per Superior Tech) = 139K Dilithium. (Which shows how generous my calculation was: I daresay few, if any, got it to Epic for just 139K Dilithium.) Not to mention you still need to buy those 139 Superior Upgrades (and please don't say you get them for 'free' grinding for the mats: we've been over that already; time and all that). And factor in the purchase of Quality Upgrade Boosts, there's a substantial EC cost involved too. And all of that just for one wep!
    ON TOP of the admiralty for KDF tour of duty for more dil, on top of getting the dil for pretty much everything else. That 8k-8.5k each day, could easily be grown with a couple alts into 17k+.

And still only refineable at 8K-8.5K per day, so utterly irrelevant. That's where those 'untold millions' of Unrefined Dilithium of mine come in: can't use 'em for anything.
    Now, I haven't taken economics since high school, but I know enough about the F2P game, to where if I need to increase my dilithium refining capacity, i spend zen on character slots(zen that I gain from saving my dil and converting it to the gold coins), and create more dil batteries.

And that's essentially what your entire argument boils down to, isn't it?! Alts. And you're not even wrong about that; except, of course, where you keep leaving out time, and stubbornly keep insisting others presumably must have an infinite amount of it. I don't.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    So needing to repeat a mission makes the devs sociopathic? What a massive load of bovine fecal matter.

I think I rarely agree with you, but here I wholeheartedly do.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    What i'd want to see removed from the game?

- Perfect strangers who send you team invites out of the blue, probably assuming you're here to abide to their needs and desires...

- ESD Zone chat. Need i give a reason?
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    This right here. That was on meimeitoo for throwing cash at zen for dil, when it's stupid easy to get the dil on alts,

There we go with the alts again.
    every 10 days the rommy upgrade tokens from the admiralty,

Riiight. Do you even hear yourself?! LOL. Okay, let's quickly examine this, then. Say, we're planning to upgrade a single KCB. For sinplicity's sake, we asssume it's already at Mk XIV. At 358K Upgrade Points per round, and (generously) assuming you manage to get it to Epic in 5 rounds, that's 1,790,000 required points, aka 119 Romulan Tech Upgrades. So, 1190 days (according to your own time table), aka 3.34 years. Yeah, adding those to the equation really helps. :P

Now, 1,790,000 / 12800 points (per Superior Tech) = 139K Dilithium. (Which shows how generous my calculation was: I daresay few, if any, got it to Epic for just 139K Dilithium.) Not to mention you still need to buy those 139 Superior Upgrades (and please don't say you get them for 'free' grinding for the mats: we've been over that already; time and all that). And factor in the purchase of Quality Upgrade Boosts, there's a substantial EC cost involved too. And all of that just for one wep!
    ON TOP of the admiralty for KDF tour of duty for more dil, on top of getting the dil for pretty much everything else. That 8k-8.5k each day, could easily be grown with a couple alts into 17k+.

And still only refineable at 8K-8.5K per day, so utterly irrelevant. That's where those 'untold millions' of Unrefined Dilithium of mine come in: can't use 'em for anything.
    Now, I haven't taken economics since high school, but I know enough about the F2P game, to where if I need to increase my dilithium refining capacity, i spend zen on character slots(zen that I gain from saving my dil and converting it to the gold coins), and create more dil batteries.

And that's essentially what your entire argument boils down to, isn't it?! Alts. And you're not even wrong about that; except, of course, where you keep leaving out time, and stubbornly keep insisting others presumably must have an infinite amount of it. I don't.

It's been over 800 days since Delta Rising launched. That's over 6 million potential refined dilithium that you've wasted not running your second character, all because you're bitter and addicted to having top-of-the-line gear for your dps score. You probably could have gotten all of one ship's gear to Epic Mk XIV with just that dilithium.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2016

You're lucky, then.... I've run into vastly worse F2P systems out there. SWTOR's is annoying (stop paying your sub, and they add several layers of Tedious into everything), anything from Aeria is hideous, etc. And don't get me started on games that only sell you "premium" items as 'rentals' - like 'Bank Expansion (30 days)'. STO is one of the best I've run into, honestly. /shrug

It's a known thing, in psychology & customer service, that complaints are much more commonly given than compliments. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember being told that customer service desks weigh unsolicited praise several times higher than complaints because people are so much less likely to do it. (and this was before the internet made 'anonymous whining' so much easier)
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I'd get rid of the existing Reputation system and replace it with something great

After we have ground up to T5 in nine different reputations on god-knows-how-many different toons, you want to scrap it all? Did yo momma drop you on your head when you were a baby?

• Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    3) Un-droppable missions that clutter up your "in progress" list. Yes, I get that we've unlocked some super sekrit messages with our reputation projects, but I don't want to have to look at them until I FEEL LIKE IT.

Oh gods yes, and the Romulan ones are the worst. At least the others are just "go to DS9/Nukara Prime/Dyson HQ/whatever and suffer through a cheesy cutscene", but the Romulan ones require you to actually do some badly-designed, incredibly aggravating mission which has no significant rewards of any type. The final one of the five is just notoriously buggy and has been the source of numerous frustrated pleas for help.

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    kiralyn wrote: »

You're lucky, then.... I've run into vastly worse F2P systems out there. SWTOR's is annoying (stop paying your sub, and they add several layers of Tedious into everything), anything from Aeria is hideous, etc. And don't get me started on games that only sell you "premium" items as 'rentals' - like 'Bank Expansion (30 days)'. STO is one of the best I've run into, honestly. /shrug

It's a known thing, in psychology & customer service, that complaints are much more commonly given than compliments. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I remember being told that customer service desks weigh unsolicited praise several times higher than complaints because people are so much less likely to do it. (and this was before the internet made 'anonymous whining' so much easier)

This topic, when reading past the snarky comments and elitism displayed by some, does provide insight into what annoys players. In that regard it's pretty useful.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    If there was only ONE thing you could remove from the game in order to improve the game? What would it be?

The game!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    kiralyn wrote: »

Huh, I personally feel games like SWtOR and LotRO have vastly superior F2P systems ... but then, I always sub to any MMO I play, and WoW has my #1 favorite "F2P" system (ie either use gold to buy a subscription token from the auction house, or pay cash). I also seriously hate it when above is able to play an MMO for free outside of a trial.

The one thing that does annoy me about SWTOR though is how you have to wait 36 hours before trading anything you buy off the cash store. Ran into a situation where I wanted something, got something to sell so I could buy it, and by the time I could sell it it's price had gone down while the item I was ultimately trying to buy had doubled in price.
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.