test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Foundry Returns Today

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
The Foundry for Star Trek Online is returning later today. We're still running some tests, so editing and review functions won't be available, but you can return to your missions.

We would love to get some feedback as you're playing through - how is everything working? Please use this thread to discuss.

Comments

• ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Excellent! I'm looking forward to designing new worlds eventually for players to explore, but having great missions such as the Honor of Ferasans, Honor of Orions, Honor of the Empire, as well as Heroes of the Empire return is most welcome indeed. :)
  • keith90#1977 keith90 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    ok this sounds cool
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    First point: space lighting has changed (or been lost). This map below used Sol system background template (IIRC).
    Before (lighting 1.0)
    Cy9EnGcWQAAnJ1R.jpg

After (lighting 2.0)
    Cy9EgYbWIAAC1gV.jpg

Second point: Outdoor ground maps are FUBAR
    Cy9FieyXEAAYP66.jpg
    Testing on tribble indicates this applies to all maps with natural terrain (excluding Ancient Iconia and the Empty ground map, but including everything else.) With bloom set to 0% the terrain looks like a patchwork quilt of random colors (the souce of the colored bloom). Lighting 1.0 is fine, 2.0 causes the death bloom. I believe this is the same bug affecting the Nukara ground map in the main game. In case this is system specific, my information is provided below. As it is though, I will not be able to use the Foundry under lighting 2.0.

Hardware
    Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
    Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
    Device ID - 6658
    Vendor ID - 1002
    SubSystem ID - E258
    SubSystem Vendor ID - 174B
    Revision ID - 00
    Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
    Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 2.0 x16
    BIOS Version - 015.046.000.000
    BIOS Part Number - 113-258ELBAB50-X001
    BIOS Date - 2014/05/22 04:30
    Memory Size - 2048 MB
    Memory Type - GDDR5
    Memory Clock - 1250 MHz
    Core Clock - 1050 MHz
    Total Memory Bandwidth - 80 GByte/s
    2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

Software
    Radeon Settings Version - 2016.1115.1552.28539
    Driver Packaging Version - 16.40.3211-161115a-308829E
    Provider - Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    2D Driver Version - 8.1.1.1571
    Direct3D® Version - 9.14.10.01221
    OpenGL® Version - 6.14.10.13456
    OpenCL™ Version - 21.19.164.1
    AMD Mantle Version - 9.1.10.0163
    AMD Mantle API Version - 102400
    AMD Audio Driver Version - 10.0.1.0
    Vulkan™ Driver Version - 1.3.0
    Vulkan™ API Version - 1.0.26
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2016
    Hey-o!

Thanks to Cryptic for working on this. I'm gonna share some pictures from one of my maps with a little backstory for each location.

Main Bridge
    Pros:
    • Assets which should be Emitting Light now do. Including the Custom Engineering Station built from Odyssey Diagrams
    • Wall Assets now emit Light from their Bars. :smile:
    • Consoles are now lit and active.
    • Ambient light in the map is more lifelike, meaning I no longer have to light the map with consoles hidden behind walls.
    • Shadows no longer appear through the ceiling. YAY!
    • Shadows no longer mysteriously stop when there is a break in the carpet.
    • UFP Door appears more Frosted.

Cons:
    • Omni-Light Assets only function with Lighting 1.0 (this was expected, but I needed something to put here. ) :smile:
    UFP Door leads to Command Center appearing Below.
    Lighting 1.0
    7qxWgJl.jpg
    Lighting 2.0
    yND5atp.jpg

XO's Officer
    This entire office was built in the hallway that ran from the Bridge to Turbolift. LOL
    Due to Bright lights being in the Turbolift and Bridge, you could not place light assets to light it up. As it was over the light limit. Omni's never worked here.

Pros:
    • Ambient Light is brighter meaning this map is no longer Obscenely Dark.
    • The Light and the Glass Panes now emit light, and shadows.

Cons:
    • Replicator is not Lit anymore
    Lighting 1.0
    tBENABv.jpg
    Lighting 2.0
    leeCGBq.jpg

Main Command Area
    The UFP Door leads back to the Bridge.
    Office is shown is the Far Back and on the right.

Pros:
    • No More Mysterious Shadows
    • Shadows are now casted from the Ceiling. Meaning Light no longer pours through Assets.
    • Consoles now Last light and shadows on the Officers using them.
    • Lights and shadows are now casted on the Floor.
    • Walls and the Pulsing Light Rings on the ceiling now cast light.
    • UFP Door appears more Frosted.
    Lighting 1.0
    gDBeR39.jpg
    Lighting 2.0
    SZ7rcok.jpg

Full Album : http://imgur.com/a/NdiVT
    edited December 2016
    Found more issues:

1. Omni-lights do not function under lighting 2.0 (which is important to me, I've built some spaces with variable light source size in mind.)
    2. Ceiling lights (new source) turn off while standing under them (ie. in the area of light beneath).

View 1
    Cy9NcPZXAAA20ZO.jpg
    View 2, looking back at location of view 1. That lights on, but next on is off.
    Cy9NdQZW8AAhbK_.jpg

Please, do not unlock the Foundry as is.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2016
    Update on space map lighting: it simply appears to be broken under 2.0.

Before (1.0)
    Cy9QZ2nWEAAXWnt.jpg

After (2.0)
    Cy9QREUWQAAtzvU.jpg

Again, the Foundry does not appear to be in workable shape under Lighting 2.0.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Another visual oddity to report: This is one of the Starfleet interior maps (the Rapier, IIRC). Note the odd, marbled shadow pattern on the floor (but not other objects above the floor, such as the tabletops).

GoW2%207.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    that appears to be a stupidly low res version of... something. As if it's drawing part of the map at minimum resolution.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • galabrekgalabrek Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I unfortunatly dont have access to the foundry yet is it gonna be available to other players anytime soon?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Foundry's back nice. There are some stories in TOS setting which i was aching to play with a TOS char.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2016
    galabrek wrote: »
    I unfortunatly dont have access to the foundry yet is it gonna be available to other players anytime soon?

Foundry missions are back up for everyone, just check your mission journal or the sector block. What's (thankfully) locked are the editor and reviewing functions (and I have to say again to emphasize the point, DEVS, DO NOT TURN THE FOUNDRY BACK ON IN IT'S CURRENT STATE. There are ruinous lighting issues present in the current build.)

BTW (for devs): for testing purposes the "Ceiling lights turning themselves off as you approach" bug can best be illustrated in Epoch, Part 1 [AEI]. It applies to the generic ceiling light detail object, not the ESD variants.)
  • sativasavantsativasavant Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I can see why some people are grumbly about the new lighting but on behalf of myself and some others I know, thanks for clicking foundry back on. Any maps with funked up lighting I can just do the same thing as I do on Nukura and it's eye searing lighting... got to options and turn off lighting 2.0
  • stoodoggstoodogg Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    So is foundry live or?
    Nothing comes up in the menu for it my end.
    Panel member, Tribbles In Ecstasy
  • rancidmojo#7824 rancidmojo Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    stoodogg wrote: »
    So is foundry live or?
    Nothing comes up in the menu for it my end.

Do you mean the log on menu or the game mission menu? In game I've been able to play missions, but the editor is greyed out when I log on.

• theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    It appears that the Foundry has been taken down again.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Editor is still offline for me as well ... @ambassadorkael#6946 any insights on this? :smiley:
    6tviTDx.png

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    The Editor was never brought back up when this came online, we're still getting all of your feedback on how the Foundry is currently working before we bring that back.

If you're not seeing certain missions, there were some we had to republish, so they should be back relatively soon.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Much appreciated Kael! :smile:
    6tviTDx.png

• ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    And an update to an update: You're right that it seems the Foundry has been shut back off. We're looking into that.
    3x Update Comboooo!

It's back. Still play only. Please continue doing the feedback thing in this thread, and thanks!
  • captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    A few authors have noticed that some object/NPC state changes and NPC animations have reset, and need fixing and republishing. Some of the troubled missions are spotlights. It is not a matter of urgency, but it would be nice if the spotlights were unlocked for a time, once the editor comes back online. Thanks
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    A Large number of Missions are still MIA, so I am assuming the Republish is still in progress.

Also, last night on the Foundry Roundtable, they did some play throughs of some missions and located quite a few bugs. Green Dragoon also had some insight into what might be causing them. Specifically the "Lights of Zetar" bug that has been plaguing a lot of people.

The show starts at 34 Minutes and 55 Seconds. As they had some tech issues at the beginning.

https://www.twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable/v/105969992

Note: Dragoon will likely edit this and post it to Youtube on Monday like he usually does, but you can watch the VOD until then.
    primar13 wrote: »

Note: Dragoon will likely edit this and post it to Youtube on Monday like he usually does, but you can watch the VOD until then.

We were also taking notes during the livestream. We'll post that list of bugs along with the video once everything's in order.

Update on the latest republish: same problems.

"Lights of Zetar" - Dragoon speculated this might be from an old vertex lighting system flipping out with lighting 2.0
    Lighting 2.0, cinematic depth of field off, 0% bloom
    CzMdWBwUQAAwkrI.jpg

Dysfunctional space lighting
    Lighting 2.0 - all space maps appear to have the same minimum ambient lighting
    CzMcgQmVEAQfedq.jpg

Lighting 1.0
    CzMchQOVIAAky37.jpg
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Some pretty rainbows on the Aluceon ocean:

CzBR2oRXUAAQAbB.jpg:large

Oasis Clearing map with the Risa backdrop. Obviously not intentional, but I'd love to keep it.

Also, one of the water objects (I believe the ESD one, will get the exact asset name when editing is up) is pretty much invisible under Lighting 2.0 :(
  • psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    foundry offline is the best part after any update - why the time it is offline is always so short?
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    I'm seeing the Zetar bug on at least two locations on the Meadow Clearing map. One is on the small island just north of the clearing:

LoZ%20bug%201.jpg

The other is on a hillside on the map's main landmass, almost directly south of the island:

LoZ%20bug%202.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Looks like all we'll need is a few Unicorns and well have the complete set. ;)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm seeing the Zetar bug on at least two locations on the Meadow Clearing map. One is on the small island just north of the clearing:
    Try looking at the map again. My experiments suggest that the locations aren't fixed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Two things today:

1. Horray! Editor is back (and reviewing is still down). :smile:
    2. The lighting in the editor character creator seems to be much, much too bright. It's pretty difficult to work with when trying to sort of fine details and colors. :(