test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Event Tips and Tricks 2016!

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Make sure its pg.1 for the Race. I might need help indexing the tips we get as we get more pages.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Make sure its pg.1 for the Race. I might need help indexing the tips we get as we get more pages.

Well, it is your thread so you can always copy and paste the best stuff into that first post if you feel the need to.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    True. Speaking of...

Klingon Ice Fishing tip!
    Have frosted boots active while going to the ice patches. Ice Skating will actually make it easier to stop. Gets knocked off you whenever the serpent comes up and you go into combat, but it helps to get around.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    dwolf1400dwolf1400 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    Personally, I hate the fishing event. Give us back the Snowball fight. That was so much fun, a zone wide battle with snowmen ending at the lake.
  • Options
    dwolf1400 wrote: »
    Personally, I hate the fishing event. Give us back the Snowball fight. That was so much fun, a zone wide battle with snowmen ending at the lake.

I kind of like both. Maybe they can work out a way to alternate between them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

I kind of like both. Maybe they can work out a way to alternate between them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes this!!! Give us both.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Tip for old-timers like me: Do not try to do a tactical roll to kill a slide. That worked in past years but earlier this year they changed crouch and roll to add a couple of seconds of character hold afterwards. Jump or let go of the keys like the first post says instead.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Not the Dilithium Store, but the Event Reputation Store.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    True. Speaking of...

Klingon Ice Fishing tip!
    Have frosted boots active while going to the ice patches. Ice Skating will actually make it easier to stop. Gets knocked off you whenever the serpent comes up and you go into combat, but it helps to get around.

They also get knocked off of you if a Legendary fish swallows you. Or the huge fish swallows your arm. Just put them back on after throwing them into the pot.

Oh, and about using the frosted boots for the daily race? Tried that, didn't like it, didn't feel like keep trying till I got it right since my method I put on the front page works for me. As long as I'm not being rubberbanded backwards like I was yesterday. Had to redo at least half a dozen times solely due to rubberbanding/lag.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    ltminns wrote: »
    Not the Dilithium Store, but the Event Reputation Store.

That the one! :smiley: I always end up looking in the first before finding what I want in the 2nd. :/

echatty wrote: »
    True. Speaking of...

Klingon Ice Fishing tip!

They also get knocked off of you if a Legendary fish swallows you. Or the huge fish swallows your arm. Just put them back on after throwing them into the pot.

Oh, and about using the frosted boots for the daily race? Tried that, didn't like it, didn't feel like keep trying till I got it right since my method I put on the front page works for me. As long as I'm not being rubberbanded backwards like I was yesterday. Had to redo at least half a dozen times solely due to rubberbanding/lag.

True - Boots don't help me at all. Everyone has to find what works best for them. I don't even use the key to go faster until late in the race and only on straight parts of the paths and only then do I use the double-tap to stop and turn on sharp corners.

Truth is it took me more than a month before I truly got the hang of the race. A lot of trial and error in that time. But I'm not your standard player. ( see example )
    gut.gif

Also, rubberbanding/lag screws up many an Event. Luckily, it rarely last through an entire event.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    The straights are a great way to gain momentum but slow down near the corners. If you are fast enough and can judge the turn, drift it
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      Okay, I put a thread in the bug report forum, but I'm going to mention it here too. Almost all of my *newest* avatars cannot run Fast and Flurrious a second time. You know, the races run back to back, and my RomBorg Vince, and my two Tellarites Amee and Trogg have run into that bug where they can only run the first race. If I try to run the second race with them then the interact Join Race button comes up. I click it, they'll glow and then the button pops up again. And there's no "Waiting for Start" thing blinking above their heads. Now my AoY, human male Jax can run both races back to back.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
      Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
      I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    • Options
      echatty wrote: »
      Okay, I put a thread in the bug report forum, but I'm going to mention it here too. Almost all of my *newest* avatars cannot run Fast and Flurrious a second time. You know, the races run back to back, and my RomBorg Vince, and my two Tellarites Amee and Trogg have run into that bug where they can only run the first race. If I try to run the second race with them then the interact Join Race button comes up. I click it, they'll glow and then the button pops up again. And there's no "Waiting for Start" thing blinking above their heads. Now my AoY, human male Jax can run both races back to back.

Huh. Guess I should have checked in here first. :blush:
      arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1225731/mission-the-fast-and-the-flurrious-possible-glitch
    • Options
      bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
      True - Boots don't help me at all. Everyone has to find what works best for them. I don't even use the key to go faster until late in the race and only on straight parts of the paths and only then do I use the double-tap to stop and turn on sharp corners...

Heyas Zed, what 'key' are you referring to in the above passage?

Just curious! :)

• Options
      bulvyne wrote: »
      True - Boots don't help me at all. Everyone has to find what works best for them. I don't even use the key to go faster until late in the race and only on straight parts of the paths and only then do I use the double-tap to stop and turn on sharp corners...

Heyas Zed, what 'key' are you referring to in the above passage?

Just curious! :)

[ shift ]
    • Options
      Oh I do. I run full out till I almost reach a big curve, then do the jump/stop move. You can tell when you can just run full out and when you can't. There are areas with small curves that you can just run straight through the middle of them in a straight line. Those I don't slow down for.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
    • Options
      fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
      I think the race problem is people are trying to take the path literally. You don't have to do this. So long as you don't get the "off the track" penalty, you don't have to follow the exact path. In fact, there's one hairpin turn you can completely avoid this way.

That and run while bunny hopping. For some reason, the bunny hop and completely stopping all motion with the evil turns seemed to get it for me.
      One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
    • Options
      toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      While the Frosted boots may cause less consistency for the daily race, I'd still recommend people try them. I believe some of my characters were managing faster races with them back when you had to run the race on every char for the ship (off the top of my head I believe my Gorn has always behaved different on the track, as well as my Caitians/Ferasans).

And for the sake of information: I drift the full course at sprint... unless I TRIBBLE up a turn. Then I usually employ "Emergency double-tap roll".
      TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
      Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
      Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    • Options
      edited December 2016
      I've never been able to run the course in frosted boots, either one of them. I do best sprinting and drifting/cutting curves and jump/stop to avoid offtrack penalties.

On FnF I do a lot of drifting, and it's not very forgiving if you get even slightly off course.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
    • Options
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      I run full speed (no boots) and then double tap W to roll on tighter turns. Been using that for four years now with no problems. They seemed to have changed the race somewhat this year. I start running on 0 and not 1 as in the past and it seems they have increased that thin Breen's speed somewhat. In past years I could never see him out of the corner of my eye. Now I see him a turn or so behind me.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • Options
      boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
      I want to thank everyone for the tips on ice racing. My first attempts were mostly terrible, even against the NPC, and it took me forever to finally "win" one.

But now? Now I have my Fast and Flurrious title and even in large races I've always netted at least third (except for a time I derped off the course). Heck, I don't even have any abilities to help me! I'm now rolling in Epohh research, and should be able to amass enough to, well... I guess get as many Epohhs as I can.
    • Options
      bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
      ltminns wrote: »
      I run full speed (no boots) and then double tap W to roll on tighter turns. Been using that for four years now with no problems. They seemed to have changed the race somewhat this year. I start running on 0 and not 1 as in the past and it seems they have increased that thin Breen's speed somewhat. In past years I could never see him out of the corner of my eye. Now I see him a turn or so behind me.
      It appears that we can't "jump the gun" anymore, each race I've been rooted to the spot until after it hits 0.
      They also did animation changes quite a few months back, now doing a roll has a second or two cooldown before you can sprint, as a result the NPC's are a lot closer if you roll a lot.
    • Options
      Yeah, I noticed the roll animation has changed, though I never really used it. I've found I can sprint a lot of the daily race course now, as opposed to last year and only jump/stop at really tight turns. The jump/stop works better than rolling for me, always has.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Ice Fishing: the legendary fish doesn't knock of your skates, only the huge fish which you have to beat down. Also I think (but that may just be an impression) that the "jump stop" is a tad quicker when wearing boots.

Daily race: I run full throttle the whole race (my usual goal is to get the opponent from the race before me before my predecessor wins and makes it disappear). With the sidemoves keys and the willingness to turn the camera to the side or (almost) backwards ahead of curves, using snow to gain traction and cutting the tips of the hairpins it ain't that hard. You may need half a dozen to a dozen races to get the hang of where you can and where you cannot go. The easternmost turn (cf. graphic at the beginning of the thread) is the hardest, if you can master that, you can do the whole race. The hairpin after going under the bridge/when the "final stretch" announcement comes up on the other hand is very lenient regarding "cutting penalties".

PvP race: On the first straight there is a gap between the two "ice rock" formations which you can narrowly run through, giving you a completely straight runup in a decent angle towards the first curve. Also you can use the central ice rocks on the second straight to not overshoot and correct your running direction. The same holds for the curve after the jump, when sliding sideways you can use the ice to position yourself to go left of the large central rock. About the jump: well timed, you can avoid the ditch, gaining you precious seconds. If you miss it, immediately double jump. On the final straight: know when you're beat and head for the left (2nd place) or right (3rd place) flags if you're too far behind or cannot f-smash properly.

Both races: bunny hopping is the fastest, but you need to be able to do it properly. Personally I never tried to learn it because it looks too silly to me, but it ain't cheating, so try if it works for you.
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    • Options
      Yeah, I don't mind bunny-hoppers, but I never really learned to do it. I'm content to come away from the PvP ace with two tags and not complain because I can't grab one of the place flags. If I'm very far behind I do go right or left, depending on exactly where I am. It's not hard to position yourself so you slide right into where the flags are supposed to spawn.

And I have learned where I can cut curves in the daily race so that I can run full out through a lot of it and only jump/stop on hairpins. It only took a short while before I was 'winning' on my first try.
      Now a LTS and loving it.
    • Options
      breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
      edited December 2016
      bloodyriz wrote: »

Yes this!!! Give us both.​​

Yeah, that'd be nice. The Snowball Fight was my favorite part of the Winter Event (okay, maybe second favorite, after getting a cool Breen ship); I really enjoyed the cross-Zone teamwork, with scouting and calls for assistance helping bring players together.
      Ym9x9Ji.png
      meimeitoo wrote: »
      I do not like Geko ether.
      iconians wrote: »
      With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
    • Options
      nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User
      Not connected to either of the races (Possibly fast and flurrious?) But does anyone know what the deal is with the special epohhs they mentioned that got tangled up in some lights?

They don't seem to be critical results from the Epohh raising missions, so how does one get them?
    • Options
      xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
      Also anybody know whether the "better" fishing gauntlets actually make a difference?
      My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries