test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Catching the Torch

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
edited November 2016 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hey everybody,

My name is Mike, and I’m going to be the new Community Manager for Star Trek Online.

I’m really excited to be joining all of you here, and to be your voice to the dev team (and their voice to you.) I’ve been hanging out here in secret for a few weeks, and this is a really awesome community. You stand atop a salt mountain and make reasonable arguments about things that would bring other communities to their knees. I like that.

I’ve been running online communities for about five years, including running my own news website and moderating forums and live streams for major video game companies. I’ve been a part of internet communities since before there was an internet – did anyone hang out on INN way back in the day?
I’ve been a Trekkie ever since I first caught “Sins of the Father” on TV about twenty years ago. I haven’t watched all of it, but I’ve seen all of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, and all of the movies. My favorite ship is the Bird of Prey, and my favorite characters are Worf and Quark.

Other than that, I’ve got a wide variety of nerd interests, from those other Star things to comics, pro wrestling and theatre. You can sort of assume that if it’s happened in the geek world, I know about it, except for my own giant blind spot, anime.

I’ll be working closely with Trendy over the next few months as we move into the next phase. Don’t worry, she’s not going away. We’ve got a lot of cool stuff that we’re working on together coming your way soon, so stay tuned.

Comments

• Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Welcome aboard..
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Welcome! :) Or should we say "yI'el!" now, considering your favourite ship and character?
  • Options
    ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,675 Community Manager
    nebfab wrote: »
    Welcome! :) Or should we say "yI'el!" now, considering your favourite ship and character?

There's a Klingon/English dictionary in the office. I need to study now. :)
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    Five years running online communities and you haven't given up in despair? Impressive.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Welcome aboard, Mike! Happy to have you with us!

So what is the requisite time required before we can pile on your workload? I think at least one day to assimilate will do, yes? :p
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    Welcome! Look forward to the future.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, Mike! Happy to have you with us!

So what is the requisite time required before we can pile on your workload? I think at least one day to assimilate will do, yes? :p

You have to type out the evil cackles, or I can't hear you. ;)

In all seriousness, though, like I said up top Trendy and I are working closely together for a bit, so fire away, and I'll start to learn to adapt.
  • Options
    autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    You stand atop a salt mountain and make reasonable arguments about things that would bring other communities to their knees. I like that.
    /em shrug

I have my moments ...
    My favorite ship is the Bird of Prey
    The Bird of Prey League would no doubt break open the bloodwine casks if you ever find yourself short of targets and in need a little "winding down" towards the end of a solar day ...
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    My favorite ship is the Bird of Prey
    The Bird of Prey League would no doubt break open the bloodwine casks if you ever find yourself short of targets and in need a little "winding down" towards the end of a solar day ...

Well, that just sounds spiffy.

• Options
    comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    Welcome aboard,

*Bows down and presents the almighty Ban Hammer*

Many great names have ruled the foruminiets with this Great Ban Hammer and you're now the next ruler to rule with it Kael...

In all seriousness, welcome aboard Kael...

Hopefully I can bring you as much trouble as I did with the previous CMs, hehehehe!
    6tviTDx.png

• Options
    Welcome aboard,

*Bows down and presents the almighty Ban Hammer*

Many great names have ruled the foruminiets with this Great Ban Hammer and you're now the next ruler to rule with it Kael...

In all seriousness, welcome aboard Kael...

Hopefully I can bring you as much trouble as I did with the previous CMs, hehehehe!

You know, someone at work mentioned I needed a Ban Hammer.

But I was thinking something more in the style of a Ban'tleth...

• Options
    winters83winters83 Member Posts: 486 Media Corps
    Welcome aboard Mike, I look forward to getting to know you! :smile: I'm really excited to see what you guys have planned!​​
    Twitter: @P1Winters83 YouTube: WintersGaming
    =/\= ========================================== =/\=
    Fleet Admiral Winters - Priority One Armada
    U.S.S. Wolverine - NCC 831216
    =/\= ========================================== =/\=
    Armada Leader // Executive Producer // Host // Priority One Podcast
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    welcome hope you do streaming alot
    Post edited by garaks31 on
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Welcome aboard.

Now, with that out of the way, where are the official forum announcements for...

The new ships, which includes the Archon from last week. I had no idea it was even for SALE until someone mentioned it to me as I figured that an announcement saying when the ship would go up for sale would be coming, but it never did. And the blog never said when either. Granted, it's usually a given that any announcement, like the blog, implies the ship will arrive "this week", it's not always the case.

Patch notes for tomorrow since the launcher does say to check the forums, and I did, which led me here.

The new Tales from K13. Usually there is a thread up so players can discuss these but nada so far.

By the look of it though, you just got handed the keys to the castle, so I can let it slide.

This time. :p
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    Congrats Nabreeki/Mike!
  • Options
    captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Congrats on the promotion Mike, we're glad to have you.
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    Hi Mike, Seems the theme today is torches, so I imagine the change over ceremony went something like this:

GFLwMjulAtbcQ.gif

Also, active communication with the community can help avoid this:

StYFyOLYpGdKE.gif

Welcome and good luck!

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Welcome aboard, Mike! You have some big shoes to fill because @pwlaughingtrendy has set the bar the highest so far of all Community Managers that have come out of PWE. Trendy definitely will be missed!
  • Options
    ryghanryghan Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Jolan tru. Nice to meet you and thanks for sharing a bit about yourself! Looking forward to having you about....hope you feel at home here!
  • Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    It is nice to see someone will be manning the fire extinguisher around here. I was starting to think we were left to our own devices. Welcome to the community.
  • Options
    holyknight22holyknight22 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    Real Question: Can we expect you to advance the cause of the mighty Gorn......I mean Klingon Empire? We really need the ability to throw massive rocks at our opponents and giant diamond cannons.

Just saying.
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    Which year's party popper is your favorite?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Welcome aboard! As the first Foundry author (I think) to post here, I believe it's required of me to ask a few questions.

1. Are you familiar with the STO Foundry?
    2. Have you played any missions before/lately?
    3. Any thoughts about community activities relating to it?

We've got a few groups (the Foundry Roundtable podcast, Starbase UGC, and active Foundry authors more generally) who can always be counted on for support and/or ideas, if ever you consider involving the Foundry with the lots of cool stuff you have planned. Personally, I'm just looking forward to whatever (I just like structured community things) but again I think I'm obligated to say something for our sub-collective. :tongue:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    Hey everybody,

My name is Mike, and I’m going to be the new Community Manager for Star Trek Online.
    Good luck, Mike.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbqHZiap_u4

Also, have you noticed that the word dork is in the middle of your screen name?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2Gxm6nZAk

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    admiralkogaradmiralkogar Member Posts: 875 Arc User
    Hey everybody,

I’m really excited to be joining all of you here, and to be your voice to the dev team (and their voice to you.) I’ve been hanging out here in secret for a few weeks, and this is a really awesome community. You stand atop a salt mountain and make reasonable arguments about things that would bring other communities to their knees. I like that.

Welcome! :)

I like that despite our passions we still come across to you as an awesome community. ;)

I know I am not the only one who hopes we in the community will continue to live up to your very kind words.

Qapla'
    Live Long and Prosper.
    Remember the I.D.I.C.
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Glory to you ...and your house...

Q'apla!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    Welcome aboard.