test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

-/ A Cardassian Faction Simply Could Never Work \-

I've given the idea of a Cardassian faction in STO a lot of thought, and I've become convinced that it simply isn't possible.

It's nothing to do with the developers or the engine or anything like that, it's just that the Cardassians are particularly poor fodder for an MMO.

What is the basis of the Cardassian character and its society in Star Trek? It is selflessness.

How do you represent that in a game, much less an MMO? To be compellingly and plausibly Cardassian, the player would have to have as his primary motivation selfless service to others. Self-sacrifice is where you do the work, you make the sacrifice, and someone else besides you benefits from it. That's not on with MMOs. An MMO player wants a reward, he or she won't do things without being rewarded.

The Cardassians are probably the finest creative product of the minds behind Star Trek, and its because they represent such an elevated purpose and a clarity of virtue. It would be difficult for any game to do them justice, unless that game was "selfless service simulator."

It's easy to understand why so many people admire the Cardassians and want to be like them, to imitate them, but you can already do that in STO. There is a growing number of Cardassian ships you can fly if you just want to do a tribute to them.

But actual playable Cardassians? Its very difficult to see how that could possibly work. Real people are weak and vain, but the Cardassians are an imaginary idealized form, they embody all that is best in people.

free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    IHlU09f.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I think a True Way faction would have been possible at one point, but now they've released the majority of the dominion and cardassian ship's in boxes and promo packs so a faction for either is pretty unlikely.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    the OP is an obvious "joke" meant to get a reaction from people with no sense of humor. do not take is seriously or let it upset you.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Couldn't agree more. Cardassians have been my favorite Star Trek species for a long long time. I used to hope for a playable Cardassian faction but I've come to the conclusion that it will never happen for a myriad of reasons not limited to what the original poster wrote.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    People don't really know the North Koreans. They are really a bunch of fun loving comedians.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    umformtechnik#9538 umformtechnik Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    the OP is an obvious "joke" meant to get a reaction from people with no sense of humor. do not take is seriously or let it upset you.

Why would this OP upset anyone?

because this is the internet, and the STO forums, and some people will get upset about anything. even you seem to be riled up by my mundane post. please calm down, there is no reason to let this stuff upset you.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Typical Radical Bajoran talk, known fact that Bajorans control the Federation News network
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *throws a bag of popcorn into the microwave...*
  • Options
    No, posted in the right place. Trying to do my best to bolster the assertion that the Cardassians were really misunderstood as is the case with real world nations.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    It is weird if you look at the cardassians as individuals they can be seen quite like the op puts forth, but like many good things in the world evil can happen from such good intentions as well. Even Dukat at his core was a good an endearing character, that had his own evils he had committed for the betterment of his people an those he held dear. Hell you look at most of the characters in the star trek universe this is broadcasted quite often with characters doing something wrong or evil, but having good intentions an reasons that are not truly selfish or evil at heart.

I actually think most of all after the events of the tragedy the dominion brought to the Cardassian homeworld, that the Cardassians could have worked as a good race to add to the Romulan republic faction, but not as a stand alone faction like the fed or even KDF. Both having lost quite ability of their past either in the form of their solidarity with the Cardassians, and their homeworld specifically for the Romulans, and now needing to rebuild their societies. Also there is the fact that both the groups are dealing with fighting to keep their independence from groups that once ruled over them, the true way for the cardassians, and the Tal Shiar an also the remnants of the Romulan star empire for the Romulans. Also this would give the addition of ships from the Cardassians could bolster the star ship line up for the romulans, with the cardassians giving carriers/cruisers/science ships, which would augment the largely tactical leaning starship pool of the romulan ships.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    0dd9c47c85695d65d90c5acc8306aad6.jpg
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    Aren't Cardassians ophidians or something? I always thought they looked a bit snakey.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I laugh because i can see this for what it truly is.

Troll bait. Don't get sucked in. Buttons are being pushed to start arguments.
  • Options
    Gul Dukat is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful being I've ever known in my life.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    If they do add them, it'll probably be done just like the TOS captains, their own tutorial and one-time developed roster of ships across the ranks, aligned with federation according to canon (If I remember that correct) and that's it, never touched again by the devs once done. Either that or just playable race. It can and possibly will be done, but not to any greater extent than that.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    ^Oh my. :rollseyes:

We must have watched different Star Treks.
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    I've given the idea of a Cardassian faction in STO a lot of thought, and I've become convinced that it simply isn't possible.

It's nothing to do with the developers or the engine or anything like that, it's just that the Cardassians are particularly poor fodder for an MMO.

What is the basis of the Cardassian character and its society in Star Trek? It is selflessness.

How do you represent that in a game, much less an MMO? To be compellingly and plausibly Cardassian, the player would have to have as his primary motivation selfless service to others. Self-sacrifice is where you do the work, you make the sacrifice, and someone else besides you benefits from it. That's not on with MMOs. An MMO player wants a reward, he or she won't do things without being rewarded.

The Cardassians are probably the finest creative product of the minds behind Star Trek, and its because they represent such an elevated purpose and a clarity of virtue. It would be difficult for any game to do them justice, unless that game was "selfless service simulator."

It's easy to understand why so many people admire the Cardassians and want to be like them, to imitate them, but you can already do that in STO. There is a growing number of Cardassian ships you can fly if you just want to do a tribute to them.

But actual playable Cardassians? Its very difficult to see how that could possibly work. Real people are weak and vain, but the Cardassians are an imaginary idealized form, they embody all that is best in people.

Hmmm

"The Cardassians are probably the finest creative product of the minds behind Star Trek, and its because they represent such an elevated purpose and a clarity of virtue."

"Real people are weak and vain, but the Cardassians are an imaginary idealized form, they embody all that is best in people. "

Well I suppose when your the OP Genocide, TRIBBLE and Torture are all that.. again I suppose.. simply his words afterall
  • Options
    gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    I think both @repetitiveepic and @somtaawkhar are right... but are missing a piece of the puzzle. IMO, Cardassians are a very Orwellian society. If they were developed more fully during the Gene-run era, they would have been symbolic of Stalin's Russia. They are cruel and ruthless in the pursuit of their selfless goals.

For a Cardassian, the State is everything. They know their propaganda is utter bull, they're not stupid, but they accept the lies their government spits out because they genuinely believe its for the good of all Cardassia. Take another look at the 8-episode-long Finale, especially Damar's character.

Cardassia is ruthless, and cruel... Cardassians are selfless and sacrificing. Their priorities, generally speaking, are:
    * The State
    * Family
    * Commander
    * Self
    * Friends
    * Everyone else

... in that order.

So... yeah, I think they would work as a faction... but only as a full faction, not a Romulan Republic-esque pseudo faction.
    newstosiggy.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The current Cardassians fit extremely well with the current Alliance setting. Just have a few initial missions and put them in with the rest of Starfleet. Cryptic has made a bunch of backstabbing Romulans and militaristic Klingons to play nice with the Federation and it would be even easier with the Cardassians due to them being brainwashed by the Federation.

The most important reason to have a Cardassian micro-faction is to have an unbiased view of how 25th Century Cardassians are. Our Cardassian exposure is extremely limited due to there only being the True Way, the Cardassian diplomat, a couple of tailors, and a few other minor roles that are extremely forgettable.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    THERE.... ARE.... FOUR... LIGHTS!
    12585.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Real people are weak and vain, but the Cardassians are an imaginary idealized form
    What, and double what?

Cardassians were brutal conquerors, who violently oppressed anyone who wasn't them that they could, and ruled their people with an iron fist so tight they made the Tal Shiar look nice.

Cardassians were soem of THE biggest **** in Star Trek canon.

Don't fall for the OP. He pretends the Cardassian never oppressed the Bajoran and the Bajorans were the real villains. It's relatively easy to see how wrong he is if you've watched DS9, so you you know the real purpose of this alleged opinion is to rile up people. If you engage him, do it in fun, not because someone is wrong on the internet.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    It's easy to fall into a trap and succumb to racial bias. Bajorans are very VERY human looking which causes viewers to instantly identify with them and viewers tend to take what they say at face value without much investigation. Meanwhile, Cardassians are brushed off by many viewers as they are much more alien looking and are not given an equal opportunity to be appreciated. We need to recognize this racial bias and move past it so that Cardassians can get the same treatment that they are denied due to their scaly, almost reptilian look.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.