Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online 50th Anniversary Giveaway

Comments

• Options
    akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    A lot of ungrateful folks here.

Are you owed something?

well I know a lot of people wanted a give away for today. I just wanted an acknowledgemnt that today was a special day for Star Trek. That is what (imho)didn't happen. I didn't want a giveaway, maybe a party at club 47 like the old days.
  • Options
    userplayer1941userplayer1941 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I think it's account unlock. When I go into C-Store on my other fed toons, it says "Available", not "100% off" like it did before I claimed it on my first toon.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Oh god... I'm still venting lol

But guys... You really missed an opportunity here! The 50 year Anniversary is/was a seriously big deal and you missed it! It's a milestone that you STO developers could have marked in your own right and missed the opportunity! I hope you don't feel too much shame when you look back on this part of your life 10 years from now and think to yourself "I could have done better" because it'll be too late.

Sorry, this is my third post here and I'm just venting. I'm just really disappointed in the lack of respect for this 50 year anniversary event and milestone.

I get you, it is annoying. People have accused me of being greedy or entitlement. But lets do a brief history lesson.

1 man had a vision and after a lot of hard work he managed to bring that vision for everyone to share on T.V. Some Exec's after a while didn't share that vision and tried to cancel the show. That man Gene Roddenberry fought tooth and nail and organised the fans of his vision to protest and kept the show on the air for a little longer and then 50 years on we still have new Star Trek Movies being made and a new T.V Series in production

5 T.V Shows with a 6th in production
    1 Cartoon Series
    13 Movies
    Dozens of video games on multiple platforms over the years.
    Merchandise
    Conventions

Just want people to know its not entitlement or greed wanting this day marked with something more special and unique. Its the complete lack of respect to the I.P on a landmark day shown by Cryptic by a I.P that pays their bills.

Look past the FREE item, look how long it took them to announce this, and you'll see this is nothing more than a token gesture to appease the anger felt by some in the STO community and a save face exercise.

(Now here comes the criticism from the well its free, free, FREE ! I tell's ya Brigade)

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,478 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Happy 50th anniversary, Cryptic! I will definitely take advantage of this free offer. They probably already had it planned for today, just late getting out. LLAP. God bless.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,520 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Its the complete lack of respect to the I.P on a landmark day

They did a whole season for TOS, letting us create TOS captains with TOS uniforms, beam out effects, tricorder scans, sound effects, Walter Koenig. They even made sure to kill a red shirt, classic style.

After months of work, I think they've done more than enough to honor the 50th.

If they really were caught off guard, it was probably from not realizing that some people would still demand more. "Sure, you spent 6 months slaving over AoY, but what have you done for me today!?"

I'm thinking of words less kind than "entitlement," to describe the players not Cryptic. They did good, thanks!
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    First off...
    This is a cool freebie. I'm not gonna deny that.

Weather this was intended or as a "OMFG! We forgot!" thing, its the perception of when and how this was put up. And it was handled without the usual punctuality things like this get put out.
    I know the Console versions got let loose this week, but seriously, you guys knew this was coming. I am... disappointed.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Oh god... I'm still venting lol

But guys... You really missed an opportunity here! The 50 year Anniversary is/was a seriously big deal and you missed it! It's a milestone that you STO developers could have marked in your own right and missed the opportunity! I hope you don't feel too much shame when you look back on this part of your life 10 years from now and think to yourself "I could have done better" because it'll be too late.

Sorry, this is my third post here and I'm just venting. I'm just really disappointed in the lack of respect for this 50 year anniversary event and milestone.

I get you, it is annoying. People have accused me of being greedy or entitlement. But lets do a brief history lesson.

1 man had a vision and after a lot of hard work he managed to bring that vision for everyone to share on T.V. Some Exec's after a while didn't share that vision and tried to cancel the show. That man Gene Roddenberry fought tooth and nail and organised the fans of his vision to protest and kept the show on the air for a little longer and then 50 years on we still have new Star Trek Movies being made and a new T.V Series in production

5 T.V Shows with a 6th in production
    1 Cartoon Series
    13 Movies
    Dozens of video games on multiple platforms over the years.
    Merchandise
    Conventions

Just want people to know its not entitlement or greed wanting this day marked with something more special and unique. Its the complete lack of respect to the I.P on a landmark day shown by Cryptic by a I.P that pays their bills.

Look past the FREE item, look how long it took them to announce this, and you'll see this is nothing more than a token gesture to appease the anger felt by some in the STO community and a save face exercise.

(Now here comes the criticism from the well its free, free, FREE ! I tell's ya Brigade)

This is my point exactly. The achievements gained from the struggles that gave us the franchise we love so dear should be given a little more respect and represented in a better effort in an MMO like this to help us celebrate. It would be also the respectful thing to do.

Like, we have winter and summer events.We have the yearly Zephrin Cochran event. etc. etc. Hell, we even have a Halloween event!

Would it have been so much of a task to have thought... "Oh, what are we gonna do for the big 50th next year?" and came up with something?

Don't get me wrong... I don't give two flying hoots for free stuff but I would have liked to have seen more of a celebration ingame in the form of an event made by the devs. But, there was no foresight and no implementation. I'm just disappointed.
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    A lot of ungrateful folks here.

Are you owed something?

nah. 'Preciate it. Just looks like the standard pack that came with the TOS toon. you unlock most of this stuff through the TOS storyline, just for that one toon though.
  • Options
    ronthefanronthefan Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Now we just need the T6 Sovereign and Norway for the First Contact release in 2 months.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    LOL @ The "New" player base. I am wondering though where they are going to pull another one from after the console players get to where we are now. Plus I could care less about their very limited content expansion pack.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    Lovely! Thank you! :)​​
  • Options
    specterkevspecterkev Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Thank you. It is nice, for the start of my PS4 adventure. #LLAP
  • Options
    steinbergsteinberg Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Well it is free if you do not already have it and of course never use bought it from the cstore and for that thanks.

Useful to the fed players for costume parts.
    The F class shuttle is not any better than most ingame shuttles,but is iconic.
    The tos phaser is cool.

The real gift is the 23C bridge/interiors and for that thanks.

But strictly speaking STO is not really free the developers have costs and a proportion of players do actually pay to keep the game running.

The cstore and subscriptions pay for the game.
    So free in this instance is subjective.

A better gift would have been a t4 or t5 ship free to all factions which can then be used for admiralty.

But saying that thanks again for the 23C bridge.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Nice and Thanks cryptic

Happy 50th TREKAVERSARY!! Everyone :)

I'll lift a flute of tranya to that! :)

• Options
    nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    So I bought this pack a while back and have loved it, specialy with the Temporal ships. I am saddened to see so much hate and greed spreading across the fanbase here, it just seems to go against the very hope that Star Trek was trying to inspire.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Those people can stuff their ENTITLEMENT ISSUES into a paper sack and go home with it.

Seriously? Must have been born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
  • Options
    binar0nebinar0ne Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Thank you Cryptic!
    LLAP
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    This is my last vent....

I don't care for free stuff. I just would have really liked to have seen at least a new mission or something to celebrate the 50th anniversary of our beloved Star Trek. Something new to do ingame to mark this special milestone.

But I suppose Summer, Winter and Halloween are more important, right?

I'm just really disappointed and I expected more from you guys. :(
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    ^You're horrible.
  • Options
    nikolunus wrote: »
    So I bought this pack a while back and have loved it, specialy with the Temporal ships. I am saddened to see so much hate and greed spreading across the fanbase here, it just seems to go against the very hope that Star Trek was trying to inspire.

Actually, you're thinking of the Temporal Special Agent Pack (I listed it earlier, but may have put the wrong name here), not the one they are giving away for free. This one doesn't have any ships. Just the shuttle you'd get normally for a Tos toon. The pack unlocks it for the rest of your Fed toons.
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'm really getting sick and tired of stupid people shouting "entitlement issues".
    This has nothing to do whatsoever with entitlement, and everything to do with the feeling that the 50th anniversary of Star Trek deserved more pomp and circumstance than a mere giveaway.
    And that does not automatically translate into: "Want more stuff!"
    nikolunus wrote: »

That's rich, considering that the R&D TOS ship promo is nothing but greed in its purest form on Cryptic/PWE's part.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    (Free) 23rd Century Bundle:

contains:
    - The Federation Starship Interior: The Original Series;
    - Federation Bridge: The Original Series;
    - Access to the Federation Shuttlecraft Class F with included pet;
    - Black-and-white TOS-style Type 2 Phaser Variant that increases in effectiveness as you level;
    - Federation Costume Pack: TOS Dress Uniform;
    - Federation Costume Pack: TOS Medical Uniform;
    - Federation Costume Pack; TOS Command Tunic

This is all it contains.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with this. but there's some confusion from what I'm reading as to what's in the pack. So I put it here.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    (Free) 23rd Century Bundle:

contains:
    - The Federation Starship Interior: The Original Series;
    - Federation Bridge: The Original Series;
    - Access to the Federation Shuttlecraft Class F with included pet;
    - Black-and-white TOS-style Type 2 Phaser Variant that increases in effectiveness as you level;
    - Federation Costume Pack: TOS Dress Uniform;
    - Federation Costume Pack: TOS Medical Uniform;
    - Federation Costume Pack; TOS Command Tunic

This is all it contains.

Yeah I thought it came with the regular TOS Fed Uniforms... it does NOT.

Also the weapon is common... dont know if that is an error or not but it's common and caps at mk 10 since it is an infinity marked. Will need to see if it can be auto upgraded to mk 12... but getting it beyond mk 12? dont think so... it's a common white item. Can you imagine the number of upgrade and dil it'll cost to get it to Epic?
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Happy 50th! Got my stamps today!

2dag7ja.jpg
  • Options
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Does this once claimed unock for all charatcers on an account forever

Is that a question or a statement? Am told it is an account unlock. But to be safe you can claim it with each toon that can claim it (Feds). The rest just seem to get the phaser.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Does this once claimed unock for all charatcers on an account forever

Yeah it looks to be an account wide unlock... I claimed it on 1 Fed toon and went to another and visited space dock... and that 2nd toon can claim the shuttle.

edit: also before you claim it... on the zen store it is listed as "On sale! 100% Off! Available" After you claim it's just listed as "Available"
  • Options
    Should mention that you also get the associated Shuttle Class F Admiralty card, even though it doesn't list it.

CxL7jf4.jpg
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Free is Free, I think you all, CBS, Perfect World, Cryptic Studios, lets not forget Lucille Ball

Cr16IeoXgAEB2oH.jpg:large

Thank you all!! Here's to another 50+

What a grand lady Lucy was!

And THANK YOU CRYPTIC AND PWE !

I already have the bundle, BUT I'm VERY glad the event got some attention it deserved. You did a good thing !

Happy 50th everyone !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif