Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online 50th Anniversary Giveaway

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Great recovery - but I do wonder if it was a case of:

"Oh TRIBBLE - we really DIDN'T have anything planned for today - but players are right, it SHOULD be a big deal for us as we are a Star Trek based MMO. QUICK! What CAN we do today?"

type of situation?

Either way (and even though I bought it when it first came out and never regretted it as you guys did a great job on the Constitution interior and the uniforms); it's a fitting giveaway for the 50th Anniversary of the public airing of the first ever Star Trek episode - "The Man Trap" - on NBC on September 8, 1966.

So, yes, thanks for doing this for Star Trek's 50th 'birthday' (of sorts.) ;)

[Even if you're not a big fan of TOS, the ship interior is really interesting to run around in.]
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Nice and Thanks cryptic

Happy 50th TREKAVERSARY!! Everyone :)
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Disappointed that it had to be something I already got back when it was first released, but at least they did SOMETHING.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Glad to see someone's manning the consoles there at STO, and ya'll finally acknowledged the 50th Anniversary Day. A giveaway of the TOS Bundle is nice for those who don't have it. Congrats to you players. Once again, as with too many STO giveaways, those of us who frequent and support the C-Store get nothing. :(

Mostly I'm disappointed, thought, that nothing *SPECIAL* was created just for this day. No commemorative item. No unique/exclusive thing. Not even an in-game accolade or title. I seem to recall we got such things from TNG's 25th Anniversary, First Contact Day, and other similar events... Star Trek's 50th should have rated the same.

I understand that the AoY Expansion and other releases this year have been done "in celebration of" - but it's just not the same (perhaps because we'd've got various new seasons/expansions regardless...).

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    May this bundle bring a fan the joy I have from it.

Even tough this was like my first purchase in Space Barbie Online...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    Much appreciated. Thanks, Cryptic! Happy 50th!
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,063 Arc User
    I'd agree that this 'once in a lifetime' event would perhaps warrant something bigger to mark its' passing, the TOS pack giveaway is still a very nice freebie for us. Thank you, Cryptic, thank you!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I would also like to thank Cryptic for doing something to recognize this special day.

I personally would have rather seen something as simple as a huge banner at ESD, First city, and Rom CC saying "Happy 50th" as that could be enjoyed equally by all players. Although Roms and Klingons do get the phaser so they weren't totally left out.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Thank you, Cryptic. While I had the pack on the PC, I now have it on XB1
  • Options
    wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    Thx! Put it on my other toons incase it wasn't account-wide.
    But I was looking and isn't this the same as what came with the TOS characters?
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Thank you very much.

I am very disappointed that there was no in-game acknowledgement, unlike during STO anniversaries, when I logged in today. Despite being Star Trek's birthday, and STO and Star Trek are helping keep each other alive, it seemed like just another day. I was shocked and disappointed so I immediately logged off.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Thank you @pwlaughingtrendy :love:
    Thank you @pwesalamiinferno
    Thank you @pwelucilleball
    Thank you @pwebillclinton
    Thank you @pwewilliamshatner

I love you guys. Happy Anniversary to you too!
    God Bless you everyone. :bawling:

Now ill be eyeing a possible TOS ship to use this one and really trick out my TOS toon.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Sweet! And happy 50th to everyone!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shaneseifertshaneseifert Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    I know I am going to get the usual, YOU MUST BE HAPPY OR WE WILL GIVE YOU A HARD TIME TRIBBLE. Having been a Star Trek fan since the late 70's early 80's I have watched literally every episode and every movie. Read most of the books even. So when the 50th Anniversary rolls around, and we have this game with so much potential this seems so disappointing. The original show was saved by an outpouring of letters, the original space shuttle was named after the Starship from The Original Series due to a letter writing campaign. Star Trek lived on beyond the original series because of the love of the IDEA of Trek and the loyalty of its fans. Some that have been around since the beginning or close to it. So when the 50th Anniversary rolls around, and its filled with blatant money making schemes like lock boxes, R&D boxes (both gambling devices) and the gift on the day of is something I have owned for years I am really disappointed in the people running this game. You guys are vampires. So I have not won the endgame ship, I already owned the other. That's how lifetime members and loyal customers are rewarded. Would have been one thing to put it in the Cstore, but this, was just greed at its worst. Hell of legacy coming from a universe filled with the promise of better.
  • Options
    c0nd1t10nr3dc0nd1t10nr3d Member Posts: 638 Arc User
    This is a really nice giveaway for those who are relatively new to the game but a lot of us have been here a while and already have this stuff. I was expecting a few more fireworks from you guys at STO and maybe an event of sorts to celebrate this 50 Year milestone. I have to say that I am very disappointed in your lack of creativity for this event.

Sorry.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Not account unlock? So each toon needs to claim?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I didn't actually expect Cryptic to give anything away, so this is extremely nice and generous of them. I certainly won't look a gift horse in the mouth. (never have understood that saying, but whatever :) )

I do have one question, do I need to claim it on all my Fed alts or is it claim once and then it's open for everyone. I'm guessing "for everyone" since that's how past giveaways have usually worked, but it never hurts to be sure.
    First off, thanks Dev team for the giveaway. However, I cannot help but feel somewhat disappointed that there is nothing made available for the Romulans or the KDF.
    My Fed aligned Romulan was who I first claimed the pack with, so it's at least something. Obviously KDF aligned Roms and of course pure KDF won't be able to get it...
    Edit

Ummm, apparently KDF CAN claim the pack. At least to get the Phaser. Not sure about the Shuttle and I would guess the uniform and bridge are not going to carry over, but it looks like everyone can get at least something out of this!
    You can use the outfit on one of the marauder cross-faction boffs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Not account unlock? So each toon needs to claim?

I didn't see any referrance to an full account unlock, so just did it with each toon. Someone else may be able to tell for sure.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Great recovery - but I do wonder if it was a case of:

"Oh **** - we really DIDN'T have anything planned for today - but players are right, it SHOULD be a big deal for us as we are a Star Trek based MMO. QUICK! What CAN we do today?"

type of situation?

Either way (and even though I bought it when it first came out and never regretted it as you guys did a great job on the Constitution interior and the uniforms); it's a fitting giveaway for the 50th Anniversary of the public airing of the first ever Star Trek episode - "The Man Trap" - on NBC on September 8, 1966.

So, yes, thanks for doing this for Star Trek's 50th 'birthday' (of sorts.) ;)

[Even if you're not a big fan of TOS, the ship interior is really interesting to run around in.]

My thoughts as well! [=

I purchased the bundle way back when so I am glad to see it offered up for everyone. It's an excellent bundle!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yeah, I've had this stuff for a while. Nice stuff though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Disappointed that it had to be something I already got back when it was first released, but at least they did SOMETHING.

Concur. I still think it was a case of the 'oh sh*t we 'F'ed up' than them really caring. just my opinion so who cares
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    Thanks for the bundle! Happy 50th, LLAP.
  • Options
    Ok... I'm about to vent really hard here, Peter Griffen Style!!

Ya know what really grinds my gears? When STO Developers can come up with a unique mission for Halloween and repeat it every year and call it an "event" and then can't respect the 50th anniversary of Star Trek enough to make something special like a new mission or event in the same respect. It's the least they could have done but, meh... They didn't bother!

That's what really grinds my gears...

This has been Peter Griffen for Fox news!
  • Options
    maybe they ment to release the "Temporal Special Agent Pack" instead and accidently did the wrong one?

:D>:)
  • Options
    tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    First off, Happy 50th

Second, giveaway ....meh

Now back to watching First Contact, with TOS on BBC america tonight.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    I wasn't expecting anything for today from Cryptic.

This is a most welcome surprise.

Many thanks, Cryptic! :)
  • Options
    akaar2akaar2 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    tygerzz wrote: »
    Now back to watching First Contact, with TOS on BBC america tonight.

yep BBC America and SyFy currently have the best tributes to Star Trek. (isn't there supposed to be something on the history channel too?) not STO, very sadly
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    A lot of ungrateful folks here.

Are you owed something?
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    No, no Cryptic you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to wait until the day after I buy something to give it away :)

Thanks for this, going to be very useful for my two TOS characters.
  • Options
    Oh god... I'm still venting lol

But guys... You really missed an opportunity here! The 50 year Anniversary is/was a seriously big deal and you missed it! It's a milestone that you STO developers could have marked in your own right and missed the opportunity! I hope you don't feel too much shame when you look back on this part of your life 10 years from now and think to yourself "I could have done better" because it'll be too late.

Sorry, this is my third post here and I'm just venting. I'm just really disappointed in the lack of respect for this 50 year anniversary event and milestone.