What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What from Beyond do you most want to see in STO? [SPOILERS]

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    New Uniforms (standard & jackets)
    Canon wise I view it as more late 23rd century, around say... ST6. While they do have touchscreens rather than the push buttons, you can't just jump centuries based on scan data. You still gotta reverse engineer the tech in a usable form. The scan data did make a technological leap, but not to the same level as the Narada was.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you're forgetting that the klingons also had the narada for several years, and despite what some people claim, the entire empire is not made up of ignorant neanderthals who wouldn't know a particle fountain from a solar flare

they undoubtedly pulled a good deal of technical data from the ship while they had it - and then section 31 swiped it from them since their intelligence services suck​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Canon wise I view it as more late 23rd century, around say... ST6.

Ah, so as powerful as the Excelsior, which itself was half as powerful as a Bird Of Prey. :tongue:
    they undoubtedly pulled a good deal of technical data from the ship while they had it - and then section 31 swiped it from them since their intelligence services suck​​

I don't know. If the Klingons tried to jack in to the Narada, wouldn't the Borg Nanites have gotten a hold of their tech?

Wait. How did we get on to this topic? We should be talking about Jackets, Beats-n-Shouts, and Awesome-Aliens-Without-Pants.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I went for the uniforms. I'm always wanting more options for looks.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    tiekosora wrote: »
    Yeah, gimme the Minmay Attack! (Beats and shouting)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeez.

I wasn't the only one then.
  • Options
    pine-stb-header.jpg
    So want...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    Franklin
    Not quite Beyond related unto itself, but I happened across these- perhaps in the future Cryptic may consider making a couple of these Kelvin ships?
    stxi-concept-chart.jpg
    stxi-ships-screen1.jpg

Personally I like the aesthetic a lot. I feel like a Yorktown/Kelvin themed expansion later down the road would be a great opportunity for the game.

I know a lot of people here especially like to pretend the new movies aren't canon, but according to the powers that greenlight and fund them, they are. And that provides ample storytelling opportunity, as well as a chance for Cryptic to drain my wallet further.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Everything, but I'll settle for more Space Barbie.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    1701-A
    captsol wrote: »
    I want those sweet jackets the most, myself. But, I'd vote for an 'All of the Above'. :)

Though, is the Kelvin Timeline 1701-A different enough from the old Enterprise to be more than a skin? All I really noticed that was different was a slightly redone bridge.

Neck and nacelles are different
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    I want those sweet jackets the most, myself. But, I'd vote for an 'All of the Above'. :)

Though, is the Kelvin Timeline 1701-A different enough from the old Enterprise to be more than a skin? All I really noticed that was different was a slightly redone bridge.

Right, but is that enough to make it anything more than a skin? We need more data.
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    Franklin

Right, but is that enough to make it anything more than a skin? We need more data.

The deflector looked to be a bit different as well. I don't think it is drastically different, but it also did not get that much screen time. I'm planning on seeing the movie again in the near future and I'm sure some high res shots will surface soon enough- maybe then we can get a better idea of what is different. I think there might be enough to justify a "Kelvin Timeline Heavy Cruise refit" but it may come much later down the pipeline.

I think, if there was to be more kelvin focus, that it should be on the uniforms from Beyond and the Franklin. There's also the Kelvin itself which has yet to make an appearance- maybe not a T6 ship but I could see it as a lockbox token T5/T5-U.

sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    I think, if there was to be more kelvin focus, that it should be on the uniforms from Beyond and the Franklin. There's also the Kelvin itself which has yet to make an appearance- maybe not a T6 ship but I could see it as a lockbox token T5/T5-U.

The Franklin? It's older than the NX-01. It doesn't have Future Tech to supe it up like the two Kelvin ships that we currently have. I have nothing against the Franklin, mind you. I just think that it should be a Starter Ship if it were to be added in to the game.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    1701-A
    jslyn wrote: »

The Franklin? It's older than the NX-01. It doesn't have Future Tech to supe it up like the two Kelvin ships that we currently have. I have nothing against the Franklin, mind you. I just think that it should be a Starter Ship if it were to be added in to the game.

No, it should be the new skin that comes with a T6 NX class :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    tiekosora wrote: »
    Yeah, gimme the Minmay Attack! (Beats and shouting)
    Well, not so unreasonable, given that Scott Bernarding is possible (Torpedo Spread), and the existence of the RFML...
  • Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Plus the starship entry goes down a tunnel which is the perfect size for that ship?? Nothing bigger can be made? Just my first nitpick of this movie.

Suez and Panama canals? Railways? You just build ships to a standard loading gauge. In 100 odd years you retrofit if there is a need (like they just did to the Panama canal). ESD doors are too small but a) you just orbit and b) the ESD is from the 23rd century and we're flying 25-9th century ships into her but that's what we get when the nostalgia brigaide wants the classic icon (I blame the National Trust).
    pine-stb-header.jpg
    So want...

The jacket, or Pine? Should I have put that as a poll option?
    jslyn wrote: »

Ditto - she's a prime universe (sort of) ENT-era ship, don't see how she could be T6. The jellyfish still isn't in game and that would be higher rated. Given the huge number of T6 ships we now have, I'd prefer some more interesting small craft for a change.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    I'll settle for the uniforms
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
      I want several of these things, but the ones I want most are the new uniforms, and 1701-refit and -A parts for the Connie.
      Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    • Options
      The jacket, or Pine? Should I have put that as a poll option?

The Jacket. If I was female I might go for Pine.
      But as I am a guy... I'll take...
      latest?cb=20100426173058
    • Options
      phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
      It is now canon that subspace party amplifiers can be used as weapons of devastating power.

I believe cryptic needs to reflect this addition to canon with a trait - perhaps one that keeps the amplifiers lit during combat, and deals a DoT to all enemies within range? In addition, of course, to having them usable in both space and ground maps.
    • Options
      edited July 2016
      It is now canon that subspace party amplifiers can be used as weapons of devastating power.

I believe cryptic needs to reflect this addition to canon with a trait - perhaps one that keeps the amplifiers lit during combat, and deals a DoT to all enemies within range? In addition, of course, to having them usable in both space and ground maps.

It was a boombox. Not a Disco Ball. :p
    • Options
      kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Member Posts: 1,410 Arc User
      New aliens
      I'd already be happy with a pale skin option + Jaylah tattoo & hair :)
      "We might get pretty singed at that range, but not as singed as they're going to get. Engage."
      - Captain Six of Nine aka Ashley "Don't Call Me Ash" Campbell
      q4F10XV.jpg
      ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED
    • Options
      phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User

It was a boombox. Not a Disco Ball. :p

Amplified through subspace.
    • Options
      Ground Device - Boombox
      :D
    • Options
      szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
      why have starships?

To actually FIND the planets. You want to just point in a direction and beam... into open space without a way back?

Well, you wouldn't beam out people. You would beam a probe to the unexplored system XY. The probe scans the system and if a M class planet was detected they could beam a research team directly from Earth to the new planet. And every Starfleet officer would be equipped with an emergency beacon. Upon activation they would be beamed back to Earth within seconds. Transwarp beaming was the worst addition ever!
    • Options
      haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
      The planet, the "ancient one's", their drones and ships (prime or kelvin universe)
      I wholeheartedly agree with alpharaider472 that:
      However, if there was one thing I think would be absolutely awesome to add...
      Kelvin Constitution Saucer Separation
      Or perhaps extend the existing consoles to be used on the above ship.
      Maybe have us control the saucer, to make it different. And because I think the Kelvin Constitution Stardrive section, on it own, would look off.

I’d like the Franklin, but unless you’re saying it’s a temporal ship with far future technology hidden onboard, I can’t be anything more than Tier 2, and Tier 2 is pushing it. Probably Tier 1. I wonder, though, is the Franklin-class small enough that it could be treated as a large shuttle? Because I could see myself flying that in the Vault. I’d still prefer them to give us the Jellyfish, but a Franklin a shuttle might work really well.

A swarm ship might be a good shuttle, too.

The alien from the beginning could make a fun pet species. (It actually amused me how many of the aliens in this movie looked like the could've been created in the STO character designer.)

Since Keenser is in this movie, too, I’d love a Boff of his species.

In addition to ships, powers, and the like, I’d like Beyond's situation retold from STO’s perspective. Maybe Franklin Drake contacts us with information intercepted from the Kelvin Timeline and says “This could exist in our universe, too. Let’s check it out.” The information we're given could involve the revelations discovered in the movie, but as long as there’s a long enough delay before releasing such a mission, that’s no problem.

This would let us go in knowing what’s going on, so our version of that adventure would be radically different.

Have...
      ..the Franklin on the planet, still.

Best of all:
      We can have Krall appear without Idris Elba’s voice and without the design(s) used for him from the film, and it would make sense based on the story.

As an aside, maybe the Son’a (those not reconciled with the Ba’ku) can go after the life-preserving technology. Because what Krall had is a lot better than their solution. In many ways, Krall’s group in the movie reminded me of the Son’a, only done much better.

One other story element I want is:

Dealing with the fact that we have MACOs in the 25th century, when we now know the group was abolished when the Federation was founded. What does it mean for us? I think it means that Starfleet has gotten more of a military feel. The salutes I keep being given point to that as well. The Borg threat and the Dominion War may have led to the group’s reformation. Maybe in our story, Krall approaches MACOs, thinking there are kindred spirits among them, now. Are there? The only now declining (but not fully ended) Ten-Front War probably created the sense of conflict he craved. But that doesn’t mean any MACOs would turn on the Federation. Does it?

One final thing to add: Our Vice-Admirals fly!
    • Options
      isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
      hauriant wrote: »
      One final thing to add: Our Vice-Admirals fly!

Now that would have been a different ending.

"Vice admirals don't fly, do they?"

"Yes they do, in fact you unlock a new tier of ships. Do you want to fly a Vesta?

"Oh, cool. Okay"

"Or a Jem'Hadar attack ship?"

"What's the Jem'Hadar?"

"Or a massive Tholian tarantula! Or a Romulan dreadnaught with outlawed weaponry! Or something from a different timeline!"

"Commodore... How long have you been stuck out here?"
    • Options
      fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
      As rediculous as it was technologically, even for star trek, yorktown would be kinda cool.
    • Options
      seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      As much as I enjoyed the movie, the only things I saw that I really wanted in STO were the uniforms.

Out of all the "Kelvin Timeline" movies, the only ship in all of them I really ever wanted was the Vengeance, and I have it. The uniforms in the new movies are awesome, hoping to see more of them make their way in game.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • Options
      risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
      New aliens
      Haven't seen the movie (yet) but as someone who gets a bit tired of the focus on new ships (personally I think we've got enough of those and I think it's time to focus on something else for a while) I'd welcome new playable species.

One thing you'd have to think about though, is how would you add it? It's still a separate timeline after all, an uniform could be inspired by our visit to that timeline in that one episode. But an entire species or ships that were only encountered in a movie set in a different universe than ours? I think it'd be difficult to come up with a story, since you'd basically have to fuse the universes. Or at least create some permanent 'bridge' between them that could explain the crossing over of entire species etc.
    • Options
      alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      1701-A
      I want the 1701-A as a skin option for the Lockbox Connie.

I would also love to see our version of the Franklin story. Seeing as how the stranding of the Franklin and all that was pre-Narada, and thus part of the Prime Timeline.
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q