test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 NX Franklin Class would be cool.

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
Just a Suggestion, a T6 NX Franklin Kelvin Timeline ship, who would be a cool upgrade to the T1 NX class ship.

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    If Cryptic introduces the Franklin, then it would have to set Kelvin Universe canon again with another Kelvin Universe Romulan ship.
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    I'm somehow thinking this will be the next Federation ship with a Pilot seat on it.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    If that's the case, it'll probably be the first Pilot ship I'll be interested in.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    People have compared the Franklin to the old Loknar class frigate from the old Star Trek RPG. Also... she looks smaller than an NX, only having maybe 3 decks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, the Franklin is more like a big runabout than a proper starship.

pop-mech-stb-diagrams.jpg
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    If Cryptic introduces the Franklin, then it would have to set Kelvin Universe canon again with another Kelvin Universe Romulan ship.

It was a rip off of the NX class.​​

and according to some, the NX class was a ripoff of the Akira class.

your point?

• Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    I just want to know how it's the first Warp 4 ship with an NX registry in the 300s when the first Warp 5 ship was NX-01. ;)
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I don't consider design continuity within a franchise (Kelvin or no) a bad thing. The story itself made allusions to a period that mirrored the Romulan Earth War and it worked for me. I call double jeopardy where criticisms that it looked nothing like the NX would have followed if it didn't.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    captsol wrote: »
    I just want to know how it's the first Warp 4 ship with an NX registry in the 300s when the first Warp 5 ship was NX-01. ;)

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.​​

Would also explain the Blingons and the poor hairless Caitans.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    Slightly related due to the presence of the NX-class Franklin and its captain, Beyond quite invalidates the STO mission Terminal Expanse in its current iteration (the devs can always tweak it later) by making
    the Xindi Incident and thus, their status as proxies of the Sphere Builders, canon in the Kelvin Timeline, unlike what Daniels says. Also, humanity had to face the Builders in the 22nd century, so unless 0718 developed a new tactic to destroy the spheres, what he says is also invalidated. That is, unless the timeline was messed up again in the 22nd century and the Xindi decided to fight humanity on their own.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    with unique console broadcasting loud music on radio frequencies?
    [AoE debuff and electrical damage sort of thing :P]

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The movie clearly states that before the Franklin, MACO was already disbanded, and the Xindi and Romulan Wars had already been fought.

Very easy to explain the ship numbers. Regular ship numbering whereas, the NX-01 was the first of experimental Warp 5 ships, hence the NX and low number. And to the rip-off of the NX-01, if it preceded it then that was the saucer design/nacelle placement of the time. So in effect the NX-01 'ripped' it off.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

*buzzer* EEHHHH!!! Sorry it doesn't work like that. KT universe was the same up until the Narada entered and destroyed the Kelvin. You don't suddenly rewrite history prior to that point just because "Reasons".

That one is simply bad writing.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »

*buzzer* EEHHHH!!! Sorry it doesn't work like that. KT universe was the same up until the Narada entered and destroyed the Kelvin. You don't suddenly rewrite history prior to that point just because "Reasons".

According to Simon Pegg, who was one of the writers of this film, the quantum mechanics at work with the temporal event that happened when the Narada destroyed the Kelvin, had a rippling effect up and down the timeline. So things can and will be different both before and after the Kelvin incident.

Now kindly "Get to your Kelvin Pods" and abandon this thread people!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User

According to Simon Pegg, who was one of the writers of this film, the quantum mechanics at work with the temporal event that happened when the Narada destroyed the Kelvin, had a rippling effect up and down the timeline. So things can and will be different both before and after the Kelvin incident.

Ok, now I just want to pull a "Log Horizon Akatsuki Face kick" on Simon Pegg. Let's toss temporal mechanics right out the window here.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    It's not so far fetched at all for the NX prefix to have been used before Captain Archer's time.
    It's also quite possible that after the founding of the Federation all existing Star Fleet ships were renumbered.
    For all we know the Franklin could have had a completely different prefix and number when it was launched.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    trejgon wrote: »
    with unique console broadcasting loud music on radio frequencies?
    [AoE debuff and electrical damage sort of thing :P]

I would pay 6k zen for that console alone!
  • Options

Ok, now I just want to pull a "Log Horizon Akatsuki Face kick" on Simon Pegg. Let's toss temporal mechanics right out the window here.

Star Trek itself has many instances where time travel was massively inconsistent. Nit picking the plot of a Star Trek show and/or movie is fun, but ultimately fruitless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Star Trek itself has many instances where time travel was massively inconsistent. Nit picking the plot of a Star Trek show and/or movie is fun, but ultimately fruitless.

Besides, it is so much more fun and productive to find ways to make it "fit", rather than just complain about it.

That use to be the norm with Trek fans, take what's given and "squeeze it in" in some fashion that seems reasonable...

Not just bee-itch about it and tear it to shreds because it doesn't align to our own personal head-canon.

People talk about being a "True/Real Trek" fan...,

A "SINCERE" fan, doesn't seriously tear the thing down, they look for ways to build it up and revere it.
    smh
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Another possibility is that the Franklin was made before the faster NX-01 as the S.S. Franklin, then made U.S.S. and even a new registry number when the Terran Starfleet was converted into the Federation Starfleet. Why the number was so high seems odd, but there we are. Has it ever been established that normal registry numbers are always in a sequence based on which ship was made? (Obviously, Enterprises are different, and the latest Defiant got to refuse a number.)

Personally, given how small the Franklin is, maybe it could be treated as a large shuttle rather than a main ship. Cause no way would it be a T6 ship. I'd be curious to see how its rock music attack console works, though.
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    It's not so far fetched at all for the NX prefix to have been used before Captain Archer's time.
    It's also quite possible that after the founding of the Federation all existing Star Fleet ships were renumbered.
    For all we know the Franklin could have had a completely different prefix and number when it was launched.
    B)

Why would you think that? Current US armed forces have unique prefixes for experimental craft. For fighter planes, for example, in its test phase the F-18 was known as a YF-18 before it was approved for production. It's actually a bit silly to think Starfleet didn't have a prefix for experimental craft before the NX-01 Enterprise. The 1 doesn't at all mean it had to be the first experimental ship, just the first in that particular series or class/designation.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

Why would you think that? Current US armed forces have unique prefixes for experimental craft. For fighter planes, for example, in its test phase the F-18 was known as a YF-18 before it was approved for production. It's actually a bit silly to think Starfleet didn't have a prefix for experimental craft before the NX-01 Enterprise. The 1 doesn't at all mean it had to be the first experimental ship, just the first in that particular series or class/designation.

He just said that it was likely they DID have a NX prefix before the NX01. And the current US armed forces have nothing to do with Starfleet registry processes. If they did there would be a whole lot of stuff with the same designations... M1 Rifle, M1 carbine, M1 81mm mortar, M1 MBT, etc....
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    those "Franklin" ships were limited prototype model, not many as 20-30 were made before scaled up and upgrade to constellation class. there were a biggest battle not far where the Babel was held.

i have seen "Franklin" name few times, it was one of the most advanced than other original NX model at that time. remember Drake Franklin? was he another agent of time temporal "watcher"? was he from past? was he a father of "Enterprise" navigator Franklin pilot for captain archer?
    he said he was part of family of cargo runners and claimed that his father "died" saving the crews and families when they got boarded.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Do I get an awesome Kelvin Pod survival jacket if I do? :)
  • Options

Do I get an awesome Kelvin Pod survival jacket if I do? :)

Yes! It'll be in a swag box sent out to you asap! ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Also, Daniels says the following quote in Terminal Expanse at the start of the mission:
    In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one. A Romulan ship accidentally traveled here through a singularity.

They found themselves in 2233 and later destroyed the U.S.S. Kelvin in battle. This caused their timeline to differ from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline.

We believe the Sphere Builders communicate with their operatives through the rift.

So there is no difference between the Kelvin Universe and any of the alternate realities seen in the Parallels episode and would have been one of those ships if Nero didn't change their future. According to STO, the Kelvin Universe wasn't created by Nero destroying the USS Kelvin, but has existed as long as the STO Universe has which we assume to be almost 14 billion years. Therefore, there can be certain differences between pre-2233 STO Universe and pre-2233 Kelvin Universe that can't be explained by a temporal rippling effect like Human Caitians.

The Kelvin Universe is a completely different Star Trek Universe so it doesn't need to have the same aliens or history as the Prime Universe. The Borg and Dominion might not even exist in the Kelvin Universe. In fact, it is better to create their own major villains instead of using the same villains we know.

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Well, as far as timeline ripples go...

There were several instances where, in the original timeline, the storyline took characters into the past before the Kelvin Incident. Biggest, easiest example is "ST: The Voyage Home.". What if:

1. KT Kirk somehow want allergic to Retinax V, so didn't need glasses, thus Bones didn't give an antique pair to him as a gift, and so had to sell something else in today's San Francisco? What ripples would just that cause?

2. The events of ST III didn't happen, leading to them being in the Enterprise instead of a BoP? Many potential ripples here:
    a. They would not have landed in the park, and would never have scared the garbage men. Who knows how that impacted their lives? Maybe in The Original Storyline (TOS?) they were so frightened they quit their jobs, and one picked up his hobby of Ham Radio, and subsequently invents subspace radio long before it should have been? Or he went out drinking instead of going home and having a romantic evening with his wife, and their daughter wasn't conceived, so never went on to become an influential President of the United States?
    b. With the resources of the Enterprise, would they have needed to construct a whale enclosure? At very least, would they need to trade future tech (transparent aluminum) for plexiglass?
    c. Without Spock dying (his death was caused by Khan, who is already out of the picture) would his actions in San Fransisco be different? Without giving the nerve pinch to the punk rocker, would the kid be on time to an audition, starting his band off on a string of number one hits, one of which, calling for social justice for the oppressed, spurred off a new social revolution?

3. Perhaps most simply, what if KT ships and weapons were able to deal with the Whale Probe long before it ever became a threat to Earth?

There are, of course, countless other examples of how just this one story would have run differently in the KT, giving us countless ripples that would influence the timeline leading up to the Kelvin Incident itself. I don't have to like it (really, I don't) but the logic is sound.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock