What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

T6 NX Franklin Class would be cool.

2»

Comments

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User

Star Trek itself has many instances where time travel was massively inconsistent. Nit picking the plot of a Star Trek show and/or movie is fun, but ultimately fruitless.

Also, time travel only works for the featured "heroes".... never for the villains. Not even the Borg could pull it off.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    F86, F100, F102, F104, F105, F106, F108. F109, F111, F4. You see the order of progression. Sometimes there are do-overs.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    captsol wrote: »
    I just want to know how it's the first Warp 4 ship with an NX registry in the 300s when the first Warp 5 ship was NX-01. ;)

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.​​

That. Or the Kelvin Timeline is not/was not a divergent timeline and its past, present and future are all self-contained. This definitely smooths over all the plot holes.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    I just want to know how it's the first Warp 4 ship with an NX registry in the 300s when the first Warp 5 ship was NX-01. ;)

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.​​

That. Or the Kelvin Timeline is not/was not a divergent timeline and its past, present and future are all self-contained. This definitely smooths over all the plot holes.

But creates a massive plot hole in of itself since time does not work like that.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    talonxv wrote: »

But creates a massive plot hole in of itself since time does not work like that.

The Kelvin timeline specifically would become an overshoot in that regard but of an entirely different part of the multiverse. One that retains its conventions. Temporary timelines and other shenanigans generally don't have such drastic changes, they're cast from the same mould.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Assuming that Nero traveled back in time and created a new timeline, then it one question arises. Did he go back to the Prime Universe that was shown in the first few episodes of Star Trek or the Prime Universe that was shown in Nemesis? STO has always followed the standard rule of Star Trek time travel. Changing the past changes the present. Everything in Agents of Yesterday points to that.

It is just easier for the Kelvin Universe to be its own self-contained parallel universe with the only connection to the STO Universe being Nero, Spock, and our STO Admiral.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    I tend to subscribe to Occam's Razor: the theory with the fewest number of assumptions is probably the correct one.

Therefore, my belief is that the Kelvin Timeline was indeed indistinguishable from the prime timeline until the Kelvin incident, and that any apparent inconsistencies are simply in-universe mistakes or exaggerations on the part of the characters.

Take the SS Valiant. Kirk says it was launched 200 years ago, which taken literally would place in around the 2060s. I think we can safely say that wasn't the case, based on what was later established in First Contact. The simplest explanation is that he was simple exaggerating, and that it was really launched closer to 2100. That makes a lot more sense than claiming the Valiant was some kind of temporal anomaly or something else like that.

Likewise, any inconsistencies in regards to ENT can be chalked up as mistakes on the part of characters who lived a hundred years later.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    I tend to subscribe to Occam's Razor: the theory with the fewest number of assumptions is probably the correct one.

Wouldn't the fewest number of assumptions be just no direct relation to the core timeline? I mean canon is what you make of it but in regards to Occam's Razor it's a simple explanation.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    When he attacked the USS Kelvin as he emerged in 2233, the incident affected people and events so much that it created an all-new alternate timeline. - See more at: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/nero#sthash.mt8rSuN1.dpuf

From Star Trek.com hence CBS. Can we just put this to rest now?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    darakoss wrote: »
    When he attacked the USS Kelvin as he emerged in 2233, the incident affected people and events so much that it created an all-new alternate timeline. - See more at: http://www.startrek.com/database_article/nero#sthash.mt8rSuN1.dpuf

Not according to STO as I showed in a previous post in this thread.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Also, Daniels says the following quote in Terminal Expanse at the start of the mission:
    In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one. A Romulan ship accidentally traveled here through a singularity.

They found themselves in 2233 and later destroyed the U.S.S. Kelvin in battle. This caused their timeline to differ from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline.

We believe the Sphere Builders communicate with their operatives through the rift.

There is absolutely no mention of an all-new alternate timeline being created when Nero from the STO Universe traveled to the Kelvin Universe and destroyed the USS Kelvin. "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one" makes it extremely clear that according to STO, the Kelvin Universe is a parallel universe that has existed long before Nero arrived.

What is canon to the Prime Universe is not canon to STO as far as events after Nemesis are concerned. The Prime Universe might have their version of Nero go back in time and create an all-new alternate timeline, but that has nothing to do with STO. However, until Nero and the destruction of Romulus is acknowledged in a new Star Trek series set after Nemesis, then it is just speculation.

If you meant an all-new alternate timeline like any of the times that the crew of the Enterprise, DS9, or Voyager went back in time and changed events like bring Voyager back 20 years earlier or defeated the Borg in the 21st Century, but happened in a parallel universe that had its own history with slight variations instead of the Prime Universe, then it is an all-new alternate timeline. However that is assuming that time travel in addition to dimensional travel is involved. 2387 in the STO Universe could be 2233 in the Kelvin Universe for all we know and there was no time travel involved. If no time travel is involved, then no all-new alternate timeline in a parallel universe was created.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    gradii wrote: »

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.

Would also explain the Blingons and the poor hairless Caitans.

What's different about the Klingons? They look identical to the prime versions. And what Caitians? None have appeared in the KT at all, let alone hairless ones.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    "Remember Drake Franklin".

I believe you mean Franklin Drake, so no namesake honors there.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

Also, Daniels says the following quote in Terminal Expanse at the start of the mission:
    In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one. A Romulan ship accidentally traveled here through a singularity.

They found themselves in 2233 and later destroyed the U.S.S. Kelvin in battle. This caused their timeline to differ from ours - as a result, we now refer to it as the Kelvin Timeline.

We believe the Sphere Builders communicate with their operatives through the rift.

There is absolutely no mention of an all-new alternate timeline being created when Nero from the STO Universe traveled to the Kelvin Universe and destroyed the USS Kelvin. "In 2387, an incident created a quantum rift between our universe and this one" makes it extremely clear that according to STO, the Kelvin Universe is a parallel universe that has existed long before Nero arrived.

What is canon to the Prime Universe is not canon to STO as far as events after Nemesis are concerned. The Prime Universe might have their version of Nero go back in time and create an all-new alternate timeline, but that has nothing to do with STO. However, until Nero and the destruction of Romulus is acknowledged in a new Star Trek series set after Nemesis, then it is just speculation.

If you meant an all-new alternate timeline like any of the times that the crew of the Enterprise, DS9, or Voyager went back in time and changed events like bring Voyager back 20 years earlier or defeated the Borg in the 21st Century, but happened in a parallel universe that had its own history with slight variations instead of the Prime Universe, then it is an all-new alternate timeline. However that is assuming that time travel in addition to dimensional travel is involved. 2387 in the STO Universe could be 2233 in the Kelvin Universe for all we know and there was no time travel involved. If no time travel is involved, then no all-new alternate timeline in a parallel universe was created.

STO is not canon. Your point is moot.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The klingons do not look exactly quite the same, and kirk was banging two caitians in into darkness. Lest we all forget about the nx there was a model of the actual nx from ent in the same film.. wouldnt it look different if it followed the same rules as the uss kelvin with the past and future "ripple" theory
  • Options
    nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

The Narada incursion into the Kelvin Timeline altered history up and down the timeline because time isn't linear, therefore maybe the Enterprise NX-01 was actually slower than the Franklin within that reality.

What's different about the Klingons? They look identical to the prime versions. And what Caitians? None have appeared in the KT at all, let alone hairless ones.​​
    I take it your refusing to acknowledge that they are indeed caitians?

as for the franklin it very easily could be the first warp 4 vessel of its kind but we cant be picky with warp speeds as the cannon is a mess since TOS had ships going past warp 10 while in TNG+ it was seen as impossible for a ship to achieve that speed.
    According to Star Trek: Starship Spotter, the redesignation of warp 10 as infinite speed occurred in 2312. The warp factor specifications prior to 2312 were rated by Starfleet using the Original Cochrane Unit warp scale, abbreviated as the OCU. Warp factors after 2312 use the Modified Cochrane Unit warp scale, abbreviated as the MCU.
    so the franklin's warp 4 may be a lot faster than we think plus we dont know if the nerada impact cause the redesign of warp speeds to occur earlier than 2312, the point is it may seen like an error but it star trek as a whole is full of them when describing top speeds.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    T6 Franklin with NX class kitbash options and I'm sold! Been waiting a long time for a T5 or T6 NX ...

https://youtu.be/55LC7H8aT6M
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

How is it moot? STO is canon to itself. It is not Star Trek canon, but Star Trek Online Canon. So if it says that the Kelvin Universe is a parallel universe, then its Kelvin Universe is a parallel universe to the STO Universe. It doesn't matter what CBS says what the Kelvin Universe is in regards to STO since CBS is about defining what is canon in the Prime Universe not the STO Universe.
  • Options

To be honest the biggest quibble I feel is why would a ship from the core timeline (Jellyfish) use Kelvin timeline stardates?
    Multiverse is a confirmed thing so what's canon especially with quantum and temporal shenanigans is a bit fluid, I mean, anyone could come along and retcon in future iterations.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    artan42 wrote: »

One of the people working on Into Darkness said that the two tailed women Kirk was sleeping with were Caitians. That's the only evidence we have to go on at the moment. Some people take that as gospel, others don't. I believe that's what he's getting at.
  • Options
    raxsavvageraxsavvage Member Posts: 1 Arc User

the ship was likely scheduled for a renaming to NCC but was also an existant vessal of likely hundreds or other designs at the same time that upon formalisation of the UFP this vessal was lost shortly after and the NX-0X's were likely an attempt at reorganising all vessals to a new standardisation of designs, 2 nacells, saucer, central hull design with forward facing deflector. the franklin being an NX model it however is not nessarily the first of its class, just the first the crew was ballsy enough to push the engines to dangerous levels, forget not that even NX-01 had real issues attaining and maintaining warp 5 because of a few reasons, like simple field testing in none-lab tests. there were other NX-0 vessals and of them its plausible they acheived 5 first, but even then it would only be EARTHS first warp 5, the vulkans helds back on us they themselves had like warp 7 or there abouts.

really i think its better to think of it the same way existant miltiary technology does.
    world war 2 M2, M3/M5 stuart, M4 sherman, M24 chaffee, M26 pershing
    Korean war/post KW M48 patton, M60 Patton still having logical incremental numerics right?
    1976 the M1 Abrams is designed and enters service in 1980 the M2 Bradley in 1981

why are the numbers low again?

no one questions it, they just accept it and move forward
    and seeing how its based on american military ideology modified a bit for fiction and space. i propose this to be the answer.
    stuff just gets reset now n then to make things more manageable logistics wise.

in the same vein in the ToS we seem to have just 1 type of ship going, the miranda class exists in star trek 2. several other vessal types are named. but as far as origonal run goes twer just 1 ship type whose numeric started at 1700 with its namesake consititution.

so when an older vessal with a higher numeric exists, chalk it up to a logistics shakedown and redevlopments in spatial identifications. like i feel like the first vessal starfleet makes would likely be the NX/NCC-001 and that all andorian tellerite and vulcan designs all combine their design tastes and vessal proposal teams work together to make the first >STARFLEET of the UFP< vessal. with all existant vessals slowly being phased out to free up both their names, numerics and to improve fleetwide unity.

so yeah thats my answer to this. :)

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    T6 Franklin with NX class kitbash options and I'm sold! Been waiting a long time for a T5 or T6 NX ...
    The NX-2000 is currently available as an end game T6 cruiser.
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Here's what Dylan Highsmith had to say:
    If you want the official explanation on the Franklin and it’s warp factor: it was a M.A.C.O. ship (or a United Earth Starfleet ship that housed M.A.C.O. personnel at times) that predates the NX-01.

When the UFP Starfleet is formed, M.A.C.O. was disbanded and the ship was reclassified as a Starfleet ship [with the USS identifier]. The ship is then “lost” in the early 2160’s.

It was important to everyone that the ship, like Edison, predate the Federation; that thematically, the ship mirrored an earlier time in history and served as a bridge in design between then and the NX-01.

Doug [Jung] and Simon [Pegg] may have worked up something [on an official launch date], but if they did it never made it to script or screen.

Either way it predates the NX-01, and was reclassified after the UFP is formed.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I saw in some interview I part watched where the designer also had the nacelle down until the script rewrite required the franklin body surf a mountain range to lift off, and soon as he flipped that *poof* everyone saw the nx