Install Arc
Options

Grand Admiral Thrawn is becoming a part of the new Star Wars canon

Comments

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    '
    artan42 wrote: »
    This is good news, but for me Disney Wars will never be as good as the EU was, even if it turns out Mara Jade is Ray's mother. Disney crushed my favorite parts of Star Wars, then let JJ **** all over the entire franchise. I always wanted a sequel trilogy, it's true what they say be careful what you wish for ...

I don't think I'll ever be as big of a Star Wars fan as I used to be. My only hope for an enjoyable experience for the foreseeable future is "Rogue One".

As with the ST fans that cry the same thing. You still have those books and stuff. No film would ever live up to that childhood nostalgia, there would always be insurmountable differences between your head and what the director chose to go with.
    Just get over it and get back to the books that nice Mr JJ hasn't taken from you.​​

That's just it, Disney and JJ HAVE taken something away. Almost as soon as Disney purchased the franchise, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy was canceled. The EU still has several dangling plot points, and now they will never be concluded. Prime Trek at least has a conclusion for each iteration it went through.

A conclusion, but not a continuation. Trust me, we're all in the same boat here, whether we liked Star Trek, Star Wars or both. (Though it's still a better boat than the one Stargate wound up in... :angry:)

Anyway, Thrawn's return sounds like it might be interesting. It's a shame I still won't get the chance to watch an episode of Rebels without that stupid redubbing (or, lately, even with it), but okay.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    chrisedallen89chrisedallen89 Member Posts: 17,293 Arc User
    I am actually pretty excited.. However I do worry if he is going to stay in the show and not be shown in Episode 8 or spin off films. Because the one thing I felt that VII lacked was a antagonist that was not Kylo Ren..
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    Yeah, I try to forget that ever happened (like so much else in the EU). I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to make Daala leader of the New Republic. Wasn't she a... y'know... war criminal?​​

Daala was a useless imo, they should have introduced somebody else. Xizor is still gone though.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    '
    This is good news, but for me Disney Wars will never be as good as the EU was, even if it turns out Mara Jade is Ray's mother. Disney crushed my favorite parts of Star Wars, then let JJ **** all over the entire franchise. I always wanted a sequel trilogy, it's true what they say be careful what you wish for ...

I don't think I'll ever be as big of a Star Wars fan as I used to be. My only hope for an enjoyable experience for the foreseeable future is "Rogue One".

As with the ST fans that cry the same thing. You still have those books and stuff. No film would ever live up to that childhood nostalgia, there would always be insurmountable differences between your head and what the director chose to go with.
    Just get over it and get back to the books that nice Mr JJ hasn't taken from you.

That's just it, Disney and JJ HAVE taken something away. Almost as soon as Disney purchased the franchise, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy was canceled. The EU still has several dangling plot points, and now they will never be concluded. Prime Trek at least has a conclusion for each iteration it went through.

The DS9 relaunch books were cut short with all the dangling plot threads from that. The whole show ENT was cut short with large problems there.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I want more Mon Calamari in on-screen Swars pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

Marr! Marr! Marr! Marr!

tumblr_nh11o9aMjp1rznrano1_r1_500.gif

XD Such a disappointment they killed him off. I really hate KOTFE. Can't believe BW couldn't come up with something better than some lack lust bad guy plot called the eternal empire.

Bane!! Bane!! Bane!! Bane!!

darth_bane_by_therisingsoul-d5kxnmi.jpg

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    '

Just get over it and get back to the books that nice Mr JJ hasn't taken from you.

The DS9 relaunch books were cut short with all the dangling plot threads from that. The whole show ENT was cut short with large problems there.​​

Ok, so you bought up the Relaunch stuff. Enterprise still has a successful post-finale novel line that so far has reworked 'These Are The Voyages' to make much more sense, detailed the Romulan War and explored the early years of the Federation.

The DS9 Relaunch, put on hold during the post-Destiny era, is still going: Force And Motion being the latest installment http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Force_and_Motion
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    JAR-JAR!!! ....... JAR-JAR!!! ........ JAR-JAR!!!

Dn97nK8.jpg

<snicker>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    dmt wrote: »
    '

The DS9 relaunch books were cut short with all the dangling plot threads from that. The whole show ENT was cut short with large problems there.

Ok, so you bought up the Relaunch stuff. Enterprise still has a successful post-finale novel line that so far has reworked 'These Are The Voyages' to make much more sense, detailed the Romulan War and explored the early years of the Federation.

The DS9 Relaunch, put on hold during the post-Destiny era, is still going: Force And Motion being the latest installment http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Force_and_Motion

That's more of that typhoon Pact stuff. The pre-Typhoon stuff is still not being tied up.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    So, Mark, your favorite parts of the film franchise were the ones that weren't actually, y'know, filmed??​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    dmt wrote: »
    '

The DS9 relaunch books were cut short with all the dangling plot threads from that. The whole show ENT was cut short with large problems there.

That's more of that typhoon Pact stuff. The pre-Typhoon stuff is still not being tied up.​​

I've never been able to get into any of them so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was always that Star Trek never had a continuous canon for it's novels, but rather a collection of stories that may or may not connect or conflict with each other. I've tried to read a few but I've never been able to get more than a chapter or two in, they never grabbed me like the star wars EU did.

For Star Wars I started with the Young Jedi Knights series when I was in middle school, went back and read the Thrawn and Jedi Academy trilogies, as well as the Rogue Squadron series and some one offs like Truce at Bakura and Courtship of Princess Leia. I skipped most of the others that had been released at that point, saw Vector Prime at the bookstore one day and was on the edge of my seat for the duration of the New Jedi Order series, always waiting for the next book. Star by Star is one of the most depressing sci-fi novels I've ever read, and it's also one of my favorites. I know I'm in the minority, but I was sad to see that series end.

I seem to have gone off on a tangent ... anyway, I'd be happy if they'd just give the old EU an ending. I have an idea for how an existing EU concept could be expanded to establish a Star Wars multiverse, but just an ending would suffice.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, Mark, your favorite parts of the film franchise were the ones that weren't actually, y'know, filmed??​​

Yes. ;)

The old EU, good and bad, is quite possibly in the same boat as the Star Trek prime universe. Dead. At least there's some tiny glimmer of hope left on the Trekkie side of that boat, though that hope is starting to evaporate the closer the new series is coming to release. :neutral:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

There are parts of the EU that I did in fact enjoy more than the movies. As an example, the Yhuuzan Vong are probably my favorite Star Wars aliens.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Thrawn was great - I wonder if they can really convey a genius (with some blind spots) properly given how tactics and strategy are easy to 'flow' on the page than in spoken conversation.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    @evilmark444: More correct to say that the Star Trek novels didn't ALWAYS have a single continuity. That was due to IP owner-imposed rules that were lifted around 1998 or so. But every book since A Singular Destiny (other than the last three Rihannsu books) has been in one continuity.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Getting back to Thrawn... he also made an appearance in the game TIE FIGHTER, but as a VICE ADMIRAL at first. And TIE FIGHTER takes place between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. So... this appearance will have him serving in the Imperial Navy for quite a bit longer than previously establised...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    he showed up in EAW:FOC as captain of the admonitor too​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    True, but I believe he is still considered an Admiral. He just happens to command a Star Destroyer. Also I think he gives a passive buff on the galactic map.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    no, the game SPECIFICALLY refers to him as a captain...but mind you, the game is pretty loose with continuity because ackbar wasn't part of the alliance until some point AFTER yavin, yet you get him before that in EAW

and IG-88 was a rogue droid who didn't work with organics at all and in fact tried to cause a galaxy-wide droid uprising during the battle of endor by hacking the death star 2 (and this is probably one of those EU moments people would cite as evidence that disney did right by wiping the slate clean), yet he's following tyber zann in FOC​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    no, the game SPECIFICALLY refers to him as a captain...but mind you, the game is pretty loose with continuity because ackbar wasn't part of the alliance until some point AFTER yavin, yet you get him before that in EAW

and IG-88 was a rogue droid who didn't work with organics at all and in fact tried to cause a galaxy-wide droid uprising during the battle of endor by hacking the death star 2 (and this is probably one of those EU moments people would cite as evidence that disney did right by wiping the slate clean), yet he's following tyber zann in FOC​​

There were four IG-88s constructed. IG-88B, C & D all travelled the galaxy while IG-88A prepared the uprising.
  • Options
    well, unless they all had the exact same superweapon hacking capability, the one from FOC is ig-88a because he has that exact same hack death star ability - though hacking it there just blows it up instead of taking full control of it​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Actually there was an IG-72 in that short story as well.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Getting back to Thrawn... he also made an appearance in the game TIE FIGHTER, but as a VICE ADMIRAL at first. And TIE FIGHTER takes place between Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. So... this appearance will have him serving in the Imperial Navy for quite a bit longer than previously establised...

And he made an appearance in Galaxies as a Captain, as part of the Imperial themepark (IIRC). I did those missions with pleasure during my first year in SWGEmu. :smile:
    no, the game SPECIFICALLY refers to him as a captain...but mind you, the game is pretty loose with continuity because ackbar wasn't part of the alliance until some point AFTER yavin, yet you get him before that in EAW​​

Actually, it specifically refers to him as an admiral. If memory serves, he even has a VO saying 'Admiral Thrawn reporting.'

• Options
    edited July 2016
    well, i recall him being mentioned by the game as a captain, so if one of his dialogue lines refers to him as an admiral, the captain bit must've been a reference to position and not rank - or i'm just misremembering, since i haven't played in years​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Thrawn also appeared in the Outbound Flight (legends) novel, which was set in-between Episode 1 and 2. In that story he was still with the Chiss navy, but wound up working with one of Palpatine's surrogates to kill off a handful of Jedi.

I'm hoping they don't overplay the whole gaining insight from art thing that Thrawn is known for, I feel it borders on Mary Sue territory at times. It is easy to forget a lot of his success was just as much because of efficient espionage.
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    He'll probably be played by Benedict Cumberpatch painted blue.
    200_s.gif
    [/only mostly sarcastic]
  • Options
    Cumberbatch would make a good Thrawn...
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Cumberbatch would make a good Thrawn...
    I seriously doubt it. There's a reason I posted that pic. Thrawn, as I recall, is calm and understated. I didn't like Cumberpatch as Khan or Sherlock, he doesn't do smart characters well (which is what Thrawn is). The only Cumberpatch performance I've seen and found satisfactory was Smaug, who was a hammy, egotistical sort of villain.
    Post edited by alexmakepeace on
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    NVM, forum ate my response up. Damn.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I seriously doubt it. There's a reason I posted that pic. Thrawn, as I recall, is calm and understated. I didn't like Cumberpatch as Khan or Sherlock, he doesn't do smart characters well (which is what Thrawn is). The only Cumberpatch performance I've seen and found satisfactory was Smaug, who was a hammy, egotistical sort of villain.

Its the voice and the face. While I haven't seen him do something besides Sherlock, Smaug, and Khan, I think he could pull it off.

If I remember correctly, there were some spots in Into Darkness where Khan was calm.