test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Grand Admiral Thrawn is becoming a part of the new Star Wars canon

iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
He's going to show up in Rebels. Timothy Zahn is also apparently writing a new novel called Thrawn for 2017.

Don't count on the Thrawn Trilogy becoming canon or anything, but at least he's not going to be left to the Legends continuity forever. So, yay compromise?​​
ExtxpTp.jpg

Comments

• Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Like any Star Wars fan would doubt Chiss being canon. Unless you're obsessed with what Disney decides what exists or not. I knew it was only a matter of time before they reused old stories or characters. It's Disney after all... it's what they do.

I mean they already have hammerhead class duplicates running around in S2... Not surprised one bit.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    Surprised you even have a head to sake. :*
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    This is good news, but for me Disney Wars will never be as good as the EU was, even if it turns out Mara Jade is Ray's mother. Disney crushed my favorite parts of Star Wars, then let JJ TRIBBLE all over the entire franchise. I always wanted a sequel trilogy, it's true what they say be careful what you wish for ...

I don't think I'll ever be as big of a Star Wars fan as I used to be. My only hope for an enjoyable experience for the foreseeable future is "Rogue One".
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Rogue One looks amazing. Seeing Donnie Yen in Star Wars just makes it a bonus. Always imagined him being some sort of force wielder. And those Star Destroyers and construction of the Death Star makes me ecstatic to watch it. And glad their using Mon Mothma. I like when important characters make re-appearances.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Needs more Jar Jar,
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    NO!! Please no Jar Jar...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I can't see how anyone ever thought the EU would get made into movies..... it was too bloated and convoluted.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I remember reading Timothy's Zahn's trilogy years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. Thrawn was and still is one of the most interesting villains I've ever run across in all of science fiction. I was disappointed when Zahn killed him off by using the Noghri.
    I felt cheated just a little bit. I also felt disappointed. Thrawn was more antagonist than evil. A professional naval officer who had considerable talents and abilities and held true to his faith in his cause.

Wish somebody round here could write someone like that for us to oppose. It would make for a nice change instead of the Snidely Whiplash types we get. I cannot help but contrast our antagonists' Saturday morning cartoon behavior with the brilliance and scope of an antagonist like Thrawn.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    I remember reading Timothy's Zahn's trilogy years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. Thrawn was and still is one of the most interesting villains I've ever run across in all of science fiction. I was disappointed when Zahn killed him off by using the Noghri.
    I felt cheated just a little bit. I also felt disappointed. Thrawn was more antagonist than evil. A professional naval officer who had considerable talents and abilities and held true to his faith in his cause.

Wish somebody round here could write someone like that for us to oppose. It would make for a nice change instead of the Snidely Whiplash types we get. I cannot help but contrast our antagonists' Saturday morning cartoon behavior with the brilliance and scope of an antagonist like Thrawn.

I thought Thrawn's death was perfect. Pellaeon knew at the very beginning it was a mistake to keep Rukh around.

Thrawn had an over-reliance on manipulating and using other people, and was so lost in his master plan that his death at the hands of his bodyguard was the ultimate expression of poetic justice. Even a pawn can take a King.

It wasn't a force-wielding Jedi, or a rough-and-tumble that got a "lucky shot" despite overwhelming odds, it was somebody he had used, manipulated, deceived, and betrayed. That somebody just so happened to be one of the deadliest people on board his flagship and given access to his chamber.

Which made his defeat all the more humiliating, because Thrawn was quite possibly the "last, best hope" for the Empire to regain their territory, and Rukh was largely unnecessary to protect Thrawn, since any Imperial could see he was crucial to victory as plain as day, and wouldn't even consider betraying somebody who proved his worth in actions instead of meaningless rhetoric.

As far as Thrawn's character development went -- he hit a wall. Everybody knew he was capable of bringing the New Republic to its knees. He had to die at the end of the trilogy, because a crippling defeat would cheapen just how dangerous the guy was, and if he had gone off to lick his wounds and fight another day, he'd have just been reused over and over again like Daala, Pellaeon, Ysanne Isard, or Zsinj. None of whom came close to the victories Thrawn scored.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    daala scored a MAJOR victory thrawn never did - she conquered the entire new republic, not through conquest, but through their own system of democracy​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Yeah, I try to forget that ever happened (like so much else in the EU). I'm not sure who thought it was a good idea to make Daala leader of the New Republic. Wasn't she a... y'know... war criminal?​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    I don't really know much about Thrawn. But his character design is so badass I've always wanted to see him in some kind of SW canon.

So I'm happy.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    ...not really? aside from overseeing development of the sun crusher (which she never even had a chance to use) and attacking yavin 4, nothing she's done constitutes a war crime, and even those two are a stretch​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Thrawn was capable of doing the job himself. Years after the trilogy, Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole got together and used Thrawn, along with Hal and Corran Horn, for a pair of stories in an anthology. Quite interesting as the story took place long before The Last Command. Short version: Darth Vader aimed Thrawn at Black Sun. Very very interesting read.

I never really cared for Ysanne Isard in the Rogue Squadron paperbacks. She has a lot in common with Hakeev. I always felt like Isard was a dodgy knockoff of Katrina Steiner-Davion from the BattleTech novels Stackpole wrote.

I did like Warlord Zsinj in the Wraith Squadron paperbacks. I think of all of Stackpole's Star Wars work, the Wraith Squadron stories are the best. There was a underlying sense of humor and play in them which made the characters enjoyable. Even when they were at their worst, it was hard not to smile. Stackpole's later paperback, I, Jedi, had some of this in it as well. The antagonist in this one is just evil. With no apologies for it. She is one of those people who like to watch the world burn.

What I'd very much like to have in STO is a villain who is more like Thrawn and who is portrayed as such. It would be most enjoyable to have the writers here drop a story on us where they challenge us to keep up. Something besides the rather constant pandering to the lowest common denominator. I know, I know. If wishes were horses...

Noye had the potential to be a villain such as this. But in the end, the writers took the fast lane and here we are once more.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    collaborator is still a collaborator. I never paid too much attention to anything in the EU after Thrawn. only other thing I read was Luke's Jedi Academy and Rogue Squadron. Oh and Shadows of the Empire. After that I stuck with the Old Republic era and Phantom/Clone Wars.

I don't think many expected a movie to be made out of it. (usually glad, because movie adaptions usually are not the same) I think we expected at least majority of it to remain intact. Least anything before ROTJ.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't think many expected a movie to be made out of it. (usually glad, because movie adaptions usually are not the same) I think we expected at least majority of it to remain intact. Least anything before ROTJ.
    That's kinda the same thing. Keeping the Thrawn trilogy would require Disney to write it into the movies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ...not really? aside from overseeing development of the sun crusher (which she never even had a chance to use) and attacking yavin 4, nothing she's done constitutes a war crime, and even those two are a stretch​​

Yeah Daala never used the Sun Crusher, Kyp Durron, future Jedi Master, did.
    I can't see how anyone ever thought the EU would get made into movies..... it was too bloated and convoluted.

I never expected any of them to be adapted into a movie, though I did always how a sequel trilogy would be made that took place afterwards, and maintained what was at that point considered canon. The anger and disappointment I feel because of what Disney has done could possibly surpass that of the biggest JJ-Trek haters. I loved the EU (with the exception of LotF, and Vestara turning back to the dark side at the end of FotJ), and now it's over, and the many unresolved plot lines that remain will never be concluded.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I'm glad they bringing him into the series. I was hoping to see him on the big screen. But we ended up with some dumb planet weapon.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User

You're forgetting the part where she glassed civilian targets on Dantooine and Mon Calamari.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    REVAN! REVAN! REVAN! REVAN!

*marches around carrying signs*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The Thrawn Trilogy was the last Star Wars novels I read before the current iterations leading up to and including The Force Awakens books.
    Those three, the first Han Solo Trilogy & Splinter of the Minds Eye were the only ones that I found interesting.
    (besides the six movie novels)

After that, the EU started to get way to convoluted for my tastes.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Thrawn was a great character. It will be interesting to see what they do with him in the EU. I hope it will feel worth it, and not just a way to cash in on an old character.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    REVAN! REVAN! REVAN! REVAN!

*marches around carrying signs*

Marr! Marr! Marr! Marr!

tumblr_nh11o9aMjp1rznrano1_r1_500.gif
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    This is good news, but for me Disney Wars will never be as good as the EU was, even if it turns out Mara Jade is Ray's mother. Disney crushed my favorite parts of Star Wars, then let JJ **** all over the entire franchise. I always wanted a sequel trilogy, it's true what they say be careful what you wish for ...

I don't think I'll ever be as big of a Star Wars fan as I used to be. My only hope for an enjoyable experience for the foreseeable future is "Rogue One".

As with the ST fans that cry the same thing. You still have those books and stuff. No film would ever live up to that childhood nostalgia, there would always be insurmountable differences between your head and what the director chose to go with.
    Just get over it and get back to the books that nice Mr JJ hasn't taken from you.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    It feels like the PR people at Disney/Lucasfilm just dance around, calling out 'hey (insert character) is back, love us!'.

It ain't going to work. As an EU fan Mitth'raw'nuruodo has been 'dead' for the same length of time I've been alive. I've had time to accept that, to see what aftershocks (Pellaeon was an awesome character) sprung up from his campaign.

I have the original Thrawn. Why do I need a kid's show version?

Instead of retreading the same ground that the EU already covered the Disney era should have been thrown CENTURIES after the end of the Original Trilogy.
  • Options
    '
    artan42 wrote: »
    This is good news, but for me Disney Wars will never be as good as the EU was, even if it turns out Mara Jade is Ray's mother. Disney crushed my favorite parts of Star Wars, then let JJ **** all over the entire franchise. I always wanted a sequel trilogy, it's true what they say be careful what you wish for ...

As with the ST fans that cry the same thing. You still have those books and stuff. No film would ever live up to that childhood nostalgia, there would always be insurmountable differences between your head and what the director chose to go with.
    Just get over it and get back to the books that nice Mr JJ hasn't taken from you.​​

That's just it, Disney and JJ HAVE taken something away. Almost as soon as Disney purchased the franchise, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy was canceled. The EU still has several dangling plot points, and now they will never be concluded. Prime Trek at least has a conclusion for each iteration it went through.
    eaY7Xxu.png