test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphics mod to fix some issues

I was wondering whether it might be possible to implement a graphics mod into STO for those players who don't want to look at Abrams Trek content which has recently cropped up all over the place.

Many of us are Star Trek fans from way back when and would like to see a game that looks and feels like Star Trek, not like that mean-spireted parody put out by Abrams et al.

It's not just that the Abrams ships are ugly (which they are, in my opinion), it's that they all look like they took something good, then distorted and perverted it so it would look askew. At first glance, they look like a ship that might belong into the Star Trek universe. But once you look closer, you realise they don't really because there's so much wrong with them in many unmentionable ways.

Would it be possible to get a graphics mod which replaces all the Abrams Trek content in game with other visuals that look and feel like they belong here?

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    No... For several reasons:

First off, STO isn't really modable... By "not really modable" I mean that you can, but Cryptic slams down hard on those that do.

Secondly, and here is why cryptic slams those people, the EULA directly forbids such actions.

So sadly, no.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    not moddable? i know ppl who run thair toons in fishnet stockings lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    not moddable? i know ppl who run thair toons in fishnet stockings lol

Read the post...
    JJ ships, if I see one in a STF I leave now​​

Exactly... I do the same... Universes need to be kept apart, and I am doing my part.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    calidhriscalidhris Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    It's not like I'm asking for a nude mod or anything... but I think leaving an STF is a bit drastic, and I'm fairly certain it won't be effective.
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    But why would you not want to look on the magnificence of some of the best models Cryptic has made for sto? Also as previously pointed out mods are a big no-no and will get you banned.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    OP: If you get caught then don't be surprised if you get banned for modding your client.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    calidhris wrote: »
    It's not like I'm asking for a nude mod or anything... but I think leaving an STF is a bit drastic, and I'm fairly certain it won't be effective.

Nude mod, Power mod, EC mod, remove texture mod... It's all the same: 3'd party manipulation with gamefiles... No go.

Look, I respect that people want those ships, I respect that people fly them, but that does not mean that I want to look at them, or even "be in the same room with them"...

Hence why I leave, rather than ask them to leave... I have the problem, it's my problem, so I must go.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    Look, I respect that people want those ships, I respect that people fly them, but that does not mean that I want to look at them, or even "be in the same room with them"...

Hence why I leave, rather than ask them to leave... I have the problem, it's my problem, so I must go.

Look, I respect that people want scantily clad Orion females in the "seductive" pose, I respect that people play them, but that does not mean that I want to look at them, or even "be in the same room with them"...

I have the problem, it's my problem, so I must live with it.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »

Look, I respect that people want scantily clad Orion females in the "seductive" pose, I respect that people play them, but that does not mean that I want to look at them, or even "be in the same room with them"...

Each have their own solution to problems I suppose.
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Haha, sorry no.

For one that is against the EULA

I for one am a Trek fan from "Way back when" and I love flying my Konnie and Vengeance (though I hated Into Darkness)

Already bought my Tickets for Beyond based on the reviews I've read.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Additionally, SFD is considering a JJTREK ship giveaway in the near future. Nothing set in stone yet, but stay tuned!

oh good; i have a liberated borg human and a ferasan who could use a kelvinprise and D4 respectively...i'll have to watch for this​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User
    when I have seen the topic title I though OP means some REAL issues >.>

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    You know, it's crazy stuff like this that makes me want to fly my command cruiser even more. For all time. Kelvin Trek isn't my preferred cup of tea, but it sure does keep me entertained as it wreaks havoc on purists.
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    The easiest changes are the changes you can make in yourself.

It would take no effort to change your attitude.

What I see displayed here, it's no way to go through life.

This^

In a game where we are flying around in Undine and Breen ships, you are disturbed by Kelvin Timeline ships?
    Seriously, its just a game. if you don't like them, don't fly them. That should be 'protest' enough.
    Think about what you are saying. You are SO opposed to anything from the new movies that you want to risk getting banned just so you won't have to look at them? If you are willing to go that far, just quit the game. Less hassle.

As much as us old school people don't like it, the 'new' Trek is here to stay. Lets just hope they can get back to the EXPLORING part sometime soon.

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I wish graphics mods were allowed, I'd delete most of the obnoxious space ability effects so I could have a cleaner experience ... when I hit brace for impact I don't need my ship to glow pink to know it's working ... and I don't need that annoying effect that plays every single time you get a stack of pedal to the metal ... these are what the icons next to your character's picture are for
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    If you have problems with the current art direction, simply give it some time. STO has gone through many iterations of art development over the last 2-3 years, and this one is no different from the others in that the "novelty" will wear off eventually.

It's simply just another attempt to make the game more attractive to a specific set of customers. Personally, if I don't like something that exists in game, I simply don't acquire or use it. To each their own.

It's a rather simple concept- once PWE/Cryptic finds that the art direction isn't garnering the massive sales that they want, they will change the direction again.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    hypl wrote: »
    You know, it's crazy stuff like this that makes me want to fly my command cruiser even more. For all time. Kelvin Trek isn't my preferred cup of tea, but it sure does keep me entertained as it wreaks havoc on purists.

They are not Trek "Purists".
    They are folks who have completely forgotten one of the basic tenets of the show, Acceptance of Differences. (IDIC)

You don't ask for things you don't agree with, to be removed or blocked...

Vinyl-Attraction-Serenity-Prayer-Vinyl-Wall-Art-L13919843.jpg

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    qblZGwh.png​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I own the T'Laru and D4x, but I'm tempted to buy the Heavy Command cruiser to ruin somebody's day just by existing.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    I own the T'Laru and D4x, but I'm tempted to buy the Heavy Command cruiser just to ruin somebody's day through the sheer ability to exist.​​

I'm flying a JJ-prise with red bussard collectors and twin beam arrays from the t1 connie B)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    If you want to mod the graphics of a game I suggest you play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Definitely a lot of graphic mods and ENBs to make the game almost photo realistic. Especially since the Bethesda encourages people to mod Skyrim.
  • Options
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    If you want to mod the graphics of a game I suggest you play The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Definitely a lot of graphic mods and ENBs to make the game almost photo realistic. Especially since the Bethesda encourages people to mod Skyrim.

Modding for a game like skyrim is relatively easy, as everything happens locally.

However, for a game like STO, the options are ususally limited to visuals, mostly textures... IF Cryptic would permit it of cause

o.O
    O.o
    o.O
  • Options
    calidhriscalidhris Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    My idea is not to ask for something to be removed, just an option for players to not have to deal with certain aspects without changing the game for those who wish for this content / don't mind it being there.

I'm a purist in the sense that I wouldn't want elements from Battlestar Galactica or Firefly or Star Wars in STO either, simply because they don't belong in a Star Trek game. Abrams Trek doesn't either because it's Star Trek in name only. Unlike TNG, which was radically different when it came out, Abrams Trek aims at destroying the established universe and replacing it with a poorly parodied version of itself, dumbed down to the extent of being mind-numbingly insipid and jejune.

Hence, I'm asking for a sort of banality filter, and I'm asking on here in the hopes of people picking up on the idea so that it might eventually blossom into a game option that's in keeping with the EULA.

Also, if any of you do something simply because it ticks off random people on the other side of the internet, you might want to seriously examine your life choices. Just saying...
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »

Thats already possible with KDF

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    They really should just add 'JJTrek isn't REAL trek' to the FCTs at this point. We get it, you don't like it but you don't get to say what is and isn't Trek and the people that do consider JJTrek to be Star Trek canon so you're going to have to live with it.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • Options
    psycholandlordpsycholandlord Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    calidhris wrote: »
    My idea is not to ask for something to be removed, just an option for players to not have to deal with certain aspects without changing the game for those who wish for this content / don't mind it being there.

I'm a purist in the sense that I wouldn't want elements from Battlestar Galactica or Firefly or Star Wars in STO either, simply because they don't belong in a Star Trek game. Abrams Trek doesn't either because it's Star Trek in name only. Unlike TNG, which was radically different when it came out, Abrams Trek aims at destroying the established universe and replacing it with a poorly parodied version of itself, dumbed down to the extent of being mind-numbingly insipid and jejune.

Hence, I'm asking for a sort of banality filter, and I'm asking on here in the hopes of people picking up on the idea so that it might eventually blossom into a game option that's in keeping with the EULA.

Also, if any of you do something simply because it ticks off random people on the other side of the internet, you might want to seriously examine your life choices. Just saying...

JJ Trek is Canon now. It's an alternate timeline, just like Yesterday's Enterprise. You don't get to pick and choose parts of the canon to be represented.

Also, the JJ Trek ships and equipment are cool and good, and you have bad taste. This is unfortunate, but can be rectified. Go watch ST2009 a few dozen times back to back, you'll be aight. This is a much better solution than asking somebody else to do all the work and create a TOS-violating mod that lets you turn the game into your nerd hugbox.

Post edited by psycholandlord on
    4KCfG9C.gif
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    This is a fantastic idea....

No, really...

Really!!!

Ok, no, it makes no sense.
This discussion has been closed.