test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kelvins are from Andromeda not a Timeline.

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    you know of all the shows I've watched I think dbz is the only one I'm ashamed of and I used to watch salior moon because it come on inbetween gundam wing and dbz. and I'll still watch digimon or gundam for that matter... I wonder if crunchyroll has updated the new digimon yet.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @nightken

I believe the OP was trying to say "I've been doing this longer I know better and only my opinion matters!"

Pretty sure you are capable of deciding how to react to that.

figured as much

Hey, DBZ is over 9000 minutes of fun! Spending 8 hours over 20 episodes to cover the last 3 minutes of planet Namek was quite the feat of storytelling, as was having a diaper-wearing giant baby almost destroy the Earth!

thats one way of putting it. :p

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    You kids with your SFC and your Bridge Commanders. Back in my day, we had big huge maps spread over someone's ping-pong table, and we had sheets of paper with little boxes we marked when we took damage! Uphill! Both ways! And we were happy to have it! Now git offa mah lawn!!​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    you know of all the shows I've watched I think dbz is the only one I'm ashamed of and I used to watch salior moon because it come on inbetween gundam wing and dbz. and I'll still watch digimon or gundam for that matter... I wonder if crunchyroll has updated the new digimon yet.
    @nightken

I believe the OP was trying to say "I've been doing this longer I know better and only my opinion matters!"

Pretty sure you are capable of deciding how to react to that.
    figured as much
    Hey, DBZ is over 9000 minutes of fun! Spending 8 hours over 20 episodes to cover the last 3 minutes of planet Namek was quite the feat of storytelling, as was having a diaper-wearing giant baby almost destroy the Earth!
    thats one way of putting it. :p
    Baby was actually a lot like a Goa'uld. It'd possess someone and use their powers. It was only a ral threat because it managed to grab Vegeta.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Veterans??, sorry sir, but i played Star Trek in Atari 800 XL, who need those poligons??, no one, i say!, no one!!... those kids and their fancy monitors!!... B&W tv FTW!.... BTW... Kolbins
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    I am continuously amazed at the number of people who play this game, who have absolutely NO real knowledge of the Star Trek universe.

Science ships in Star Trek, as well as other classes of starships, are often named after famous scientists and other people who made noteworthy contributions toward the advancement of a better reality.

See here:
    The Kelvin scale is named after the Belfast-born, Glasgow University engineer and physicist William Lord Kelvin (1824–1907), who wrote of the need for an "absolute thermometric scale". Unlike the degree Fahrenheit and degree Celsius, the kelvin is not referred to or typeset as a degree. The kelvin is the primary unit of temperature measurement in the physical sciences, but is often used in conjunction with the Celsius degree, which has the same magnitude. The definition implies that absolute zero (0 K) is equivalent to −273.15 °C (−459.67 °F).

Check Wikipedia for Lord Kelvin.

And also:
    In the timeline at the start of the movie Star Trek, the Kelvin was in service with Starfleet in the early 23rd century. In 2233, the Kelvin was under the command of Captain Richard Robau; his first officer was Lieutenant George Kirk. Kirk's wife, Winona, was also aboard the ship at that time while she was pregnant with their son, James T. Kirk. The Kelvin was destroyed by the Romulan mining ship Narada, which arrived from the distant future through an artificial black hole. Named for director J. J. Abrams' grandfather. Its registry number, NCC-0514, comes from Abrams's birthdate of May 14.

And now you know that there are very many more things in the Milky Way to name ships after...before we need to look outside our own galaxy.​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Veterans??, sorry sir, but i played Star Trek in Atari 800 XL, who need those poligons??, no one, i say!, no one!!... those kids and their fancy monitors!!... B&W tv FTW!.... BTW... Kolbins

Reminds me of playing The Rebel Universe on my older brother's Atari ST! Yeah, those games are classics.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    skrapnel wrote: »
    "Kelvin" Timeline is referring to the Timeline in the alternate universe which changed from the point forward of the USS Kelvin.

I know that's the Official story... but good lord, way too much is different everywhere to be caused by one ship battle.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    I agree. This thread is quite engaging and entertaining. It has brightened my day.

#absolutedelight

I am hoping he's going to refute another established fact to prolong the longevity of this thread. Please don't disappoint us! Or at east keep going with the juvenile attempt at insults B)
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    Anybody know the worst Star Trek games ever? There was this planetary based strategy game with tanks and such, can't even remember the name, but that one was "meh". Any others?
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    25Th Anniversary.

2nd Enterprise was impossible to beat, she knocked out weapons first then you went. Knew of no one who beat it.​​

lol, I finished that game like 15 years ago or so. Can't even remember a particularely difficult ship. But appart from that, 25th anniversary was one of the greatest Star Trek games, ever. Not even my opinion, just looked through a few best ST games and this one came up consistantly as one of the best.
    STO for instance was among the worst if not the worst upon release in 2010, but is now among the better ones.

Post edited by baudl on
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    darkenviousdarkenvious Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    This train wreck of a thread is still going with the delusional op who thinks they know better still going? All I see is a troll nothing more and nothing less who thinks their opinion matters and is fact and will try again to refute everything else that has already been established as fact. This op just doesn't get it that CBS/paramount are the ones who decides what is canon, but then of course the op will come back with attempts at juvenile insults again as always
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    same here now, its entertaining and to funny. Now just here watching and along for the ride
    Post edited by darkenvious on
  • Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Worst game?, i think Starfleet Academy, the FMV where great, but the game itself... i dont think the ships shuld be controled like a fighter, and you couldnt change your viewscreen, so forward was all you had.. then a patch solved but it was too late.

25th Anniversary was great, but you could get lost easy!...
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    25Th Anniversary.

2nd Enterprise was impossible to beat, she knocked out weapons first then you went. Knew of no one who beat it.​​

I don't remember it that hard. I suppose today I might consider it as such, because I don't have hours to repeat a particular fight anymore. ;)

Though I knew one "cheat" - I was playing the game on a 286 with a grayscale monitor. If I set the game VGA, which normally looked better, the cloaked ships were invisible to me. But if I used EGA (or was it even CGA?), i could see the enemy ships even while cloaked.

The other trick was knowing that those plasma weapons had limited range and you could outrun them - sometimes just by going reverse.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    skrapnelskrapnel Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    skrapnel wrote: »
    "Kelvin" Timeline is referring to the Timeline in the alternate universe which changed from the point forward of the USS Kelvin.

I know that's the Official story... but good lord, way too much is different everywhere to be caused by one ship battle.

Butterfly effect..... the smallest changes can lead to drastically different results.

Take this point, for example..... the James Kirk from the Kelvin timeline is not the James Kirk from the prime storyline, James Kirk from the prime line was never born because his parents were killed...... because the first born son of George and Winnona Kirk in the prime storyline was not James, but George Jr..... So in reality, the person we know as James in the Kelvin timeline is actually George Jr. from the prime timeline but got the name Jim.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Or more likely everything that's not directly effected has been just plain ret-coned. And whether those changes affect the 'prime universe' or not is kind of irrelevant if the rumors of the Prime being closed for Business are true - because the real function of canon is to guide future creative efforts and if you've abandoned the prime universe, then who cares if nacelles look different now?

The big reveal in a week should tell us a LOT about the overall direction of Star Trek and the people who will continue to produce it.
  • Options
    I am starting to think/wonder if the Timeline/universe that Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and now Star Trek Beyond once it comes out will be the new official Prime Universe that we will be getting movies, series from especially since we already have 2 movies from that timeline already.

Wasn't James T Kirk one of the few people that Nero wanted to kill using the Narada?
  • Options
    skrapnelskrapnel Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I am starting to think/wonder if the Timeline/universe that Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and now Star Trek Beyond once it comes out will be the new official Prime Universe that we will be getting movies, series from especially since we already have 2 movies from that timeline already.

Wasn't James T Kirk one of the few people that Nero wanted to kill using the Narada?

Nero was only after Spock, he wanted him to suffer.... he did not really care about Kirk at all.... Kirk was just someone in his way.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    In a recent interview, Simon Pegg said that quantum-temporal effects mean that the temporal rift opened by the Narada and the Jellyfish reverbrated up and down the timeline, affecting a number of things that aren't obviously connected. Basically, as in the TNG episode "Parallels", this is a different quantum reality, not a simple temporal fork (for instance, in a number of universes Worf slid through, even his combadge was a different shape, for no readily apparent reason - the only constant was that he was an officer aboard the Galaxy-class Enterprise, and that had more to do with cost and costuming than anything else).

So, in the words of that great philosopher Alfred Yankovic, "Everything you know is wrong." :wink:​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Parallels had a HUGE number of things. A universe where the Bajorans were hostile to the Federation. A universe where the Federation had been almost entirely assimilated.... etc...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    A universe where the Federation had been almost entirely assimilated.... etc...

pre-premonition armada, anyone?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    jonsills wrote: »
    In a recent interview, Simon Pegg said that quantum-temporal effects mean that the temporal rift opened by the Narada and the Jellyfish reverbrated up and down the timeline, affecting a number of things that aren't obviously connected. Basically, as in the TNG episode "Parallels", this is a different quantum reality, not a simple temporal fork (for instance, in a number of universes Worf slid through, even his combadge was a different shape, for no readily apparent reason - the only constant was that he was an officer aboard the Galaxy-class Enterprise, and that had more to do with cost and costuming than anything else).

So, in the words of that great philosopher Alfred Yankovic, "Everything you know is wrong." :wink:

This would answer a lot of questions people have had about the Kelvin Timeline, particularly the technology used by the Kelvin itself and why so many things seem different.

I used to see the Hobus event as a wind-up car that goes in one direction in the timeline after the destruction of the Kelvin, but I guess it's more like a big ol' stone thrown into a pond that sends ripples everywhere (including further back in time than the appearance of the Narada).

Which would also help support my headcanon theory that more temporal incursions further back in time in the Kelvin Timeline altered things some more. The Narada and the destruction of the Kelvin changed things, but the consequences were more drastic than even Spock was able to surmise (and to be fair, he was making an educated guess based on facts he knew at the time).​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    iconians wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »

So, in the words of that great philosopher Alfred Yankovic, "Everything you know is wrong." :wink:

This would answer a lot of questions people have had about the Kelvin Timeline, particularly the technology used by the Kelvin itself and why so many things seem different.

I used to see the Hobus event as a wind-up car that goes in one direction in the timeline after the destruction of the Kelvin, but I guess it's more like a big ol' stone thrown into a pond that sends ripples everywhere (including further back in time than the appearance of the Narada).

Which would also help support my headcanon theory that more temporal incursions further back in time in the Kelvin Timeline altered things some more. The Narada and the destruction of the Kelvin changed things, but the consequences were more drastic than even Spock was able to surmise (and to be fair, he was making an educated guess based on facts he knew at the time).​​
    I think what Simon was saying is that while the Narada and Jellyfish ended up in the same time, other things that entered the singularity went back even further. There's no telling what scattering random bits of debris into the past would cause.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Could the Kelvin timeline mutate into what we now know as the Mirror Universe? Would explain the more militaristic direction of "Starfleet" etc.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    unless the germans borrowed heavily from roman influence, the split happened well before the 1900s​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Nah, the mirror universe has been evil since before first contact with the Vulcan, far as I can tell the mirror universe is the timeline where Edith keeler lived and the Germans won WWII.

But if the Nero/Spock movement through the singularity had scattered effects both up and down that timeline, it could be a paradoxical moment of affecting the mirror universe prior to the Kelvin event, being both an affect and an effect of the incident.
This discussion has been closed.