test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to the timeline - discussion of and discontent with latest episodes

risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
I'm even more convinced now that the self-proclaimed 'guardians' of the timeline (Daniels, Walker, the DTI) are little more than a bunch of hypocrites who think they have the right to decide what's right and what's wrong.

Taking just the Defiant or the space station in one of the latest episodes as an example: who is Daniels to decide that their fate is to die on board of those structures? Both the station and the ship were lost as a direct result of things done by the Na'kuhl. The loss of the Tholian fleet is just another example: just because it drives the Tholians back and encourages them to not expand outwards, thereby avoiding conflict with the Federation, Daniels and the like don't consider it necessary to correct this incursion.

But I guess we'll just have to believe him when he says 'trust that this is the right thing to do'. I feel that an option not to side with whoever you're forced to side with (in this case, some temporal agent who's doing much more than just watching history unfold as Vosk so rightly emphasised in his discussion with Archer) is needed, more than ever.
Daniels and the other temporal agents are not neutral: they are actively playing for god, pretending that it is up to them to decide on the fate of entire species while also pretending to be taking action in the best interest of all, while it is actually just the best interest of the Federation and the temporal agents themselves that is being defended here.

And I don't mean to defend the Na'kuhl, the Sphere Builders or any other 'Temporal Liberation Front' factions. But I do sometimes wonder what happened to the Federation of Picard, with its principles of non-interference (like in Insurrection) or the Federation where 'the needs of the many' wasn't abused in that 'the few', even when they were entire species, basically just had to suck it up.

Even a few more dialogue options that allow us to point out the NPC's hypocrisy would be much appreciated.

Oh and edit: by 'discontent' in the title I didn't necessarily mean that the episodes were not fun to play or anything. It's just that, imo, the story is too one-sided.

Comments

• Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Maybe Daniels will be revealed to be a double agent. Or an infinite agent! (no, I don't know what that means)

Cooper wasn't what he seemed.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Because history says it happend, its that simple, the Temporal directive isn't there to change history its there to protect the time line from being interfered with by Temporal travellers.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    but the timeline was interfered with by time travellers.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    He had to intervene to the point of the stuff that ended up happening in the tos episodes. If you didnt, then the timeline would have changed and things.like the babel conference and the tholian web would not have happened the way we saw them.
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    Temporal shenanigans are only justified when they serve the end goals of the 29th century super-federation, apparently.
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »
    Because history says it happend, its that simple, the Temporal directive isn't there to change history its there to protect the time line from being interfered with by Temporal travellers.

The destruction of the Tholian fleet, and possibly the assasination of the Tellarite ambassador, are just a few examples of changes that were not corrected.

Were they not important enough? Perhaps a bit too convenient for the Federation and the time agents? Whatever the reasons, the temporal agents and the Federation should at least stop pretending that they're the good guys. They are as much doing things for selfish reasons as those they are currently fighting.
  • Options
    philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    and didnt he alter the timeline by saving us bringing in to the 25th century.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    He didn't do a good job there. I've had three chances now to return to 'my' era.

I'm contaminating the timeline by going back :open_mouth:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Future guys don't seem to have a problem when time travel turns out to the benefit of the Federation. Janeway's bringing future tech back to destroy the borg, the loss of the Defiant, the whales, Enterprise C, the whole Iconian arc (which means that the future guys are responsible for the destruction of Romulus).

Many times temporal intervention has been noticeably *not* been enforced by the time cops.....but almsot always this is when not intervening would directly aid the federation.
    philchap wrote: »

By bringing us to the 25th century, he is ensuring that we do pollute it. Everything we do after is the result of temporal meddling, because otherwise we wouldn't be there to do it.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    philchap wrote: »
    History says you died and your body was never found. I'd say the timeline is preserved because it's true, your 23rd century identity is dead.
    The whole game is actually 4 (and even that is a stretch as it's more 3) timelines depending on the faction you choose, anyway.
    By bringing us to the 25th century, he is ensuring that we do pollute it. Everything we do after is the result of temporal meddling, because otherwise we wouldn't be there to do it.
    Except our fate is a result of Na'kuhl meddling with Kor. Daniels just makes sure there is a captain to complete its destiny in the 25th century.
    The destruction of the Tholian fleet, and possibly the assasination of the Tellarite ambassador, are just a few examples of changes that were not corrected.
    I dunno, but I seem to remember Gav died in his episode. As for the Tholian fleet, no, because that's why the Tholian went after the Na'kuhl and wrecked their sun. History says both died (OK, nobody knew what really happened with the Defiant, but same difference), and that's what happened.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    The destruction of the Tholian Fleet set up what happened in Future Proof. The Na'kuhl went back in time. And took out a colony ship that had a generation full of Tholians. The Tholians sent out the message of what happened. Which would explain why many yrs later, they took out the Na'Kuhl's star. In a form of payback. Its kinda like what happened with Sela and the Iconians.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I hope we're not done with the whole Daniels arc. Walker's showing up is generally to counter other time travellers actions.

Something about Daniels feels more like adjusting events on top of direct countering, and he isn't as up front with us as Walker either.

I'd like to see them in opposition at some point.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Daniels and other Temporal Agents that preserve the timeline are all about keeping themselves and everyone they know in their time alive. So the Temporal Prime Directive is all about the survival of the present that they know not about preventing some enemy with messing with their past. If the Defiant was saved in that mission, then Daniels could have ceased to exist.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »
    Daniels and other Temporal Agents that preserve the timeline are all about keeping themselves and everyone they know in their time alive. So the Temporal Prime Directive is all about the survival of the present that they know not about preventing some enemy with messing with their past. If the Defiant was saved in that mission, then Daniels could have ceased to exist.

And its a future directly dependent on them choosing to intervene in temporal events that are detrimental to them personally, while ignoring temporal incursions that actually benefit them. It's hypocritical because they themselves are using time travel for their own benefit, while restricting everyone else from using it for themselves.

It's also a violation of the prime directive to the absurd extreme. Look at how the Iconian war unfolded. If we hadn't gone back in time, the Iconians would have been around to destroy Romulus or unleash the Elachi, Solanae, Vaadwaur, or Heralds on the Galaxy. The Romulans (survivors) and Klingons wouldn't be as inclined to join the Galactic Federation.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    TRIBBLE with the timeline, as Archer would put it, should have severe consequences at the rate it's going...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This is your timeline on time travel:
    Screen-Shot-2014-11-21-at-13.58.33.png
    Any questions? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    My reaction when I try to keep track of this story arc. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW27kyh7PVM
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    jtoon74 wrote: »

So, when the events of tomorrow happen... How do we know that it is the way, it is supposed to be? And not just some machination of a temporal interloper?
  • Options

And its a future directly dependent on them choosing to intervene in temporal events that are detrimental to them personally, while ignoring temporal incursions that actually benefit them. It's hypocritical because they themselves are using time travel for their own benefit, while restricting everyone else from using it for themselves.

It's also a violation of the prime directive to the absurd extreme. Look at how the Iconian war unfolded. If we hadn't gone back in time, the Iconians would have been around to destroy Romulus or unleash the Elachi, Solanae, Vaadwaur, or Heralds on the Galaxy. The Romulans (survivors) and Klingons wouldn't be as inclined to join the Galactic Federation.

To be fair to that - that one isn't there fault, it's a predestination paradox on a massive scale and seems to be the 2410 Alliance's fault.

And the use of the 'time portal' technology there seems to be an 'easier' form on time travel to do, making incursions more common and opening the Pandora's box.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    The way I see it, Daniels et. al. are upholding the timeline they already know. A specific series of events led to the 29th century being the way it is, such as the Defiant ending up as it did. Yes, Daniels could have corrected it but it would likely have resulted in a complete shift in everything that happened leading up to them going back in time to fix it in the first place (predestination paradox as someone said earlier, going back in time caused the events that led to them going back in time). It ends up seeming self-serving because they're upholding their timeline as "correct," but there's no telling what would have changed if the Defiant had been saved just as a single example. Look at what happened when we tried to "fix" the Iconian War and allowed the Borg to take over most of Romulan space?

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Its time travel. It never made sense, never will make sense, can't make sense and won't make sense.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    To be fair to that - that one isn't there fault, it's a predestination paradox on a massive scale and seems to be the 2410 Alliance's fault.

And the use of the 'time portal' technology there seems to be an 'easier' form on time travel to do, making incursions more common and opening the Pandora's box.

So? There's nothing in Trek that dictates that predestination paradoxes can't be broken in Trek.

The finale to VOY was Janeway time traveling back into the past to prevent the occurrences which would have led to her time travelling from happening....breaking the chain of cause and effect.

Heck, earlier in Voyager, Braxton ...from the 29th century created a predestination paradox which was then prevented by destroying his ship keeping Earth from being destroyed in the 29th century and thus preventing his reason for time traveling in the first place.

• Options
    edited July 2016

So? There's nothing in Trek that dictates that predestination paradoxes can't be broken in Trek.

True. There's an issue of scale.

The predestination paradox in question shaped the quadrant for hundreds of thousands of years, affecting billions of people. The effect of altering the flow of events leading to the loss and return of the World Heart would be an incalculable change on the flow of events known to everyone current time travelling, so it seems everyone is treading cautiously up to 'after' the paradox is closed at the end of the Iconian War for tampering with events.

(Imagine if the Iconians didn't tamper on Tau Dewa, for instance - the Romulan Star Empire could have started there, instead, decades earlier with a larger population, possibly leading to victory in the Earth-Romulan War thanks to that increased boost.)

Predestination paradoxes make my head hurt.

• Options
    schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    Temporal shenanigans are only justified when they serve the end goals of the 29th century super-federation, apparently.

That's essentially the heart of it, and that's the reason why I'm enjoying this story arc as much as I am. I've always preferred Deep Space Nine's Federation (a flawed government run by fallible beings) to the Original Series' Federation (such a perfect utopia that it's unrecognizable as human and impossible to relate to, even while it hypocritically delivers Cold War propaganda and whitewashes American colonialism). That the Original Series Era is getting thrown into the mix while the story is deconstructing the idea of the Federation's moral perfection is part of the charm, to me.
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited July 2016

None of our interventions in the past seem to go well for Daniels. He end up in worse and worse shape with each one. So forgive me if I don't agree that he's doing this for personal gain.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    schloopdoo wrote: »

That's essentially the heart of it, and that's the reason why I'm enjoying this story arc as much as I am. I've always preferred Deep Space Nine's Federation (a flawed government run by fallible beings) to the Original Series' Federation (such a perfect utopia that it's unrecognizable as human and impossible to relate to, even while it hypocritically delivers Cold War propaganda and whitewashes American colonialism). That the Original Series Era is getting thrown into the mix while the story is deconstructing the idea of the Federation's moral perfection is part of the charm, to me.

That's why I prefer DS9. I really dislike the patronizing colonialism TOS (and sometimes TNG) could wallow in.

I do not think that Trek has really shown that sort of degree of introspection in regards to the Time Police that got introduced in VOY and ENT though, because the narrative doesn't really examine the ethics of a bunch of 31st century timelords controlling events behind the scenes and steering the galaxy towards a their desires.

STO is even worse, because about half of its plots are involved in time travel of some variety or another, and they temporal agents of one century or another rather prominently.
    None of our interventions in the past seem to go well for Daniels. He end up in worse and worse shape with each one. So forgive me if I don't agree that he's doing this for personal gain.

I'm not arguing that he's doing it for his own personal gain, but rather for the benefit of the 31st Century Federation (and only the 31st century federation), like the rest of the time cops.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    *double post*
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    Time travel is quite complicated (especially being fiction) and I don't think there's a right answer to anything. To me (personal opinion) for timetravel to be possible the way we usually see in scifi would have to mean that all time exists at the same "time" and we're in a given location of it. Does this make sense for our linear view of how it works? Of course not. We grow up, have children, our children have children and so on, so how can our great, great, great grand children exist at the same time as ourselves, just in "another location" we can't access and that apparently is created by future consequence of our actions? But think about it, if we remove the linear notion, maybe what we do is what is needed in another time, and so that time is not the consequence, and in thruth it's our action that is predestined to occurr in the "past" so that the "present" exists as it is. If all time exists at the same time, all is well and all these notions work, regardless of direction and the linear idea is merely a perspective and isn't really a rule.
    In ST I believe this is what happens. Daniels and the other time enforcers know events from A to B and they believe they need to ensure it happens the way they have a record of it. But since they don't see all of time, their actions are also very limited and mistakes are made. For instance, where are the enforcers from the 55th century and so on? We don't see them, but maybe the same way Daniels has us do things a given way according to his records, maybe other enfoircers from other times do the same to Daniels, and so on. A chain of temporal actions that in the end are miningless because all is as it is.
    I confused myself...