Options

Changes to the timeline - discussion of and discontent with latest episodes

1235»

Comments

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    iconians wrote: »
    The Countdown comics aren't fan produced, either. They were similarly licensed.​​

That's not the point. Cryptic can or is obligated to send in an idea to CBS for approval, while CBS can take an active role and ask Cryptic to integrate something.

I also like moving the goalposts around. It makes the game more interesting.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    The thing is, time travel stories are VERY hard to write properly. It takes a VERY gifted writer and VERY careful planning to create a story that doesn't cause all manner of contradictions or use all manner of idiotic contrivances.

Unfortunately, Cryptic's writers are frankly terrible. They can't write especially good stories that DON'T have time travel, they can't be expected to make anything like a decent time travel story. It's simply beyond them. That's not a condemnation, exactly. As I said, it's a very difficult thing to do well. Even the actual writers of Star Trek often did it very badly indeed, including all the Temporal Cold War nonsense on Enterprise.

I'm really glad that accomplished best selling novelists grace the forums with their presence to disparage other writers.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    The Countdown comics aren't fan produced, either. They were similarly licensed.

That's not the point. Cryptic can send in an idea to CBS for approval, while CBS can take an active role and ask Cryptic to integrate something.

Yes, that's pretty much common knowledge. But no, Cryptic can not just copy "Admiral Chekov as the head of Section 31" from Renegades and put that in the game. They can borrow from other licensed works with CBS approval, but fan productions are typically off-limits.

I also think it's important to mention that Star Trek (like any other franchise) is subject to a number of tropes, which doesn't necessarily mean there is a common thread linking them together, so much as a tendency for writers to reuse those tropes for storytelling.

In this case, the Temporal Agency that Daniels is a part of, and S31 are similar tropes, but it does not mean they are directly connected anymore than it means the Tal Shiar or Obsidian Order are connected to them.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    and what makes you think section 31 even still EXISTS in the 31st century? it could've gone defunct or even been wiped out decades or centuries before - or even gone through a name change and is called something else entirely now​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    a lack of interest in 22nd century events from a potential 31st century section 31 would seem to support my theory that they no longer exist; or they do, but were rebranded as a different group to move more freely in the open - maybe as the TIC...a sort of hydra/S.H.I.E.L.D situation​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.