test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changes to the timeline - discussion of and discontent with latest episodes

Comments

• Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User

This being the case changing time is either, non-consequential, the universe you create already existed, or an act of creation. How can either of these possibilities be morally bad?

Now that I think about it. Given That changes to time do not remove anything from existence the only moral judgment I might make would be on the time traveller who dose not attempt to change time for the better, as their choice will have no negative consequence upon those universes that do exist, while abstaining from change denies the birth of new realities.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Honestly, the ONLY end to this relentless parade of idiot-ball encounters with Daniels that I want to see is my captain betray him at an opportune moment to set off the Temporal-Equivalent of an Omega Particle detonation that seals the entire galaxy off from any more chronal-shenanigans from the Big Bang up through the next three hundred years.

Done. Finito. No more incursions by anyone for any reason.

Temporal Accords THAT (^%$ers.
    And then you go home to find that Earth is a farming colony of the Promellian empire and that humans never existed. :p
    dalolorn wrote: »
    In theory. That theory does however completely disintegrate when exposed to multiverse theory or whatever variant thereof you want to use. (Coincidentally, justifying time travel in a universe where the characters are aware of said theory is slightly trickier... why change things if you're not improving your situation?)
    the main reason I've never liked the infinite universes idea is "how does the universe know which parallel reality to shift you into when you travel through time?" It's one of those ideas that sounds good until you realize that it requires the universe to actively participate in maintaining causality.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Honestly, the ONLY end to this relentless parade of idiot-ball encounters with Daniels that I want to see is my captain betray him at an opportune moment to set off the Temporal-Equivalent of an Omega Particle detonation that seals the entire galaxy off from any more chronal-shenanigans from the Big Bang up through the next three hundred years.

And then you go home to find that Earth is a farming colony of the Promellian empire and that humans never existed. :p

I did not get that reference.
    In theory. That theory does however completely disintegrate when exposed to multiverse theory or whatever variant thereof you want to use. (Coincidentally, justifying time travel in a universe where the characters are aware of said theory is slightly trickier... why change things if you're not improving your situation?)
    the main reason I've never liked the infinite universes idea is "how does the universe know which parallel reality to shift you into when you travel through time?" It's one of those ideas that sounds good until you realize that it requires the universe to actively participate in maintaining causality.

Actually, the infinite universes thing solves a lot of problems introduced by quantum mechanics regarding prediction. Everything you do - even time travel - is already predetermined, along with its outcome, and the only reasons you can't know about what that outcome is are that A: such knowledge would impact what occurred (stable time loops notwithstanding, like the SG-1 episode '1969' or First Contact) and B: you don't know which of the near-infinite paths you're on.

It doesn't really have to actively control anything, because causality is maintained by the fact that you're essentially just cloning your own reality up to point X when you and the other travelers arrive, and by the fact that you were pretty much destined to do that. (And thus the target universe always existed to begin with.)

The thing that bugs me more is the infinite escalation of the concept of 'anything can and will happen in one reality or another' (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact wording) with regards to transdimensional travel. For that assertion to be correct, it must always be possible to cross into other realities (or go back and forth between timelines, that's perhaps a more generic way of describing it), rather along the lines of the Prime, Mirror and Kelvin universes in ST. More to the point, there must be a 'meta-timeline' where this ability is used massively, and a meta-timeline where it isn't used at all. However, logical progression would indicate that there must also be a way to cross from one meta-timeline to another. Again, there must be a meta-meta-timeline where this is used, and a meta-meta-timeline where it isn't... and logical progression repeats the process ad infinitum. I like the idea of being able to cross over into a sci-fi universe, but this is just one headache I don't need. :p

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    rekurzion wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    I've only done the first two missions where Daniels has been severely disfigured. And "The Envoy" is so horribly disfigured you can't even tell what species he is.

I'm getting a funny feeling about all of this. I just hope I'm wrong.

I have a feeling you're right ;)

It's quite obvious actually. As soo

I do not think it's quite obvious, but armed with the knowledge of hindsight, the link between the events in the episode and the disfigurement and the role of the Envoy and Daniels becomes understandable.
    Every time it happens, there is a major shift in the Temporal Cold war that brings a new ally to the Envoy's aide.

The Envoy is suffering the same disfigurements, but he gets better the stronger his alliance becomes.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    rekurzion wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    I've only done the first two missions where Daniels has been severely disfigured. And "The Envoy" is so horribly disfigured you can't even tell what species he is.

I'm getting a funny feeling about all of this. I just hope I'm wrong.

I have a feeling you're right ;)

It's quite obvious actually. As soo

I do not think it's quite obvious, but armed with the knowledge of hindsight, the link between the events in the episode and the disfigurement and the role of the Envoy and Daniels becomes understandable.
    Every time it happens, there is a major shift in the Temporal Cold war that brings a new ally to the Envoy's aide.

The Envoy is suffering the same disfigurements, but he gets better the stronger his alliance becomes.

yeah, except...
    his 'disfigurements' aren't real - they're an illusion
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    no, they're not real; they're part of his holo-disguise​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    snip
    A. Butterfly effect. Changing one small thing in the past could change the future in unforeseeable ways, and possibly in such a way that the now worse future could never be changed back.
    Butterfly Effect was the assumption that even a tiny change could have big repercussions.

But some of the time travel events are not small changes at all. So it's actually even worse.

Let's say we stop the time travel and don't even go back to Iconia (one of the earliest time travel locations we are currently aware of). What would happen? The Iconians would die. That's sad for them, but mostly like it seemed to be to us until very recently. Except ... the Iconians would die and the world heart would not be rescued by us and moved to the future - it would still be on Iconia. What would that mean to the cultures there, having access to the Iconian Wikipedia and all the Iconian tools already lying around? Would the anti-Iconian Alliance build its own interstellar Empire and conquer the Galaxy? What would stop them? How would it affect, say, Vulcan or Earth, if some Anti-Iconians decide these look like nice colony words and those primitive ape tribes can live in their "natural reserves"?

In the end, there is no "ideal" timeline. There is just the one we know. Could it have gone better? Probably, but it didn't. If we change things, we remove a lot of people from existence whatever we do. The survivors of a terrible catastrophe will have a terrible experience in their past, but they might find love when they never otherwise would have found each other, and there will be children born that wouldn't have existed otherwise. How do we decide which lives deserve to be lived, which persons deserve to exist?
    Do we optimize for maximum number of people that exist? What is the cut-off point for us to count?
    Do we optimize that at any given point in time, the maximum number of people survive and/or are born? (Uh, that could be ugly, after all you don't need a loving couple to get a baby.) Do we have to meddle at every second?

I think there is no real argument to be made in favor of any form of temporal meddling. SO if someone else does it, there is only one reason to stop him: His changes could remove yourself from existence (are you still you if someone goes back in time to, say, save a dear friend of you from dying in a tragic accident? That accident shaped who you are, and now that event is gone - are you still you?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    snip
    A. Butterfly effect. Changing one small thing in the past could change the future in unforeseeable ways, and possibly in such a way that the now worse future could never be changed back.
    Butterfly Effect was the assumption that even a tiny change could have big repercussions.

But some of the time travel events are not small changes at all. So it's actually even worse.

Let's say we stop the time travel and don't even go back to Iconia (one of the earliest time travel locations we are currently aware of). What would happen? The Iconians would die. That's sad for them, but mostly like it seemed to be to us until very recently. Except ... the Iconians would die and the world heart would not be rescued by us and moved to the future - it would still be on Iconia. What would that mean to the cultures there, having access to the Iconian Wikipedia and all the Iconian tools already lying around? Would the anti-Iconian Alliance build its own interstellar Empire and conquer the Galaxy? What would stop them? How would it affect, say, Vulcan or Earth, if some Anti-Iconians decide these look like nice colony words and those primitive ape tribes can live in their "natural reserves"?
    It's worse than that. WHERE is Iconia? It's close enough, and the events are far enough back in time that they could have prevented the races that are current fed members from ever existing at all. Which would be worse than simply destroying the Federation.

I did not get that reference.
    Not really a reference, more a joke about how the Promellians(who are extinct in the normal timeline) may or may not have been adversely affected by time travel at some point, and that untangling the Gordian knot that is continuity would have consequences we can't foresee because we don't know how things as they are came to be.
    Actually, the infinite universes thing solves a lot of problems introduced by quantum mechanics regarding prediction. Everything you do - even time travel - is already predetermined, along with its outcome, and the only reasons you can't know about what that outcome is are that A: such knowledge would impact what occurred (stable time loops notwithstanding, like the SG-1 episode '1969' or First Contact) and B: you don't know which of the near-infinite paths you're on.

It doesn't really have to actively control anything, because causality is maintained by the fact that you're essentially just cloning your own reality up to point X when you and the other travelers arrive, and by the fact that you were pretty much destined to do that. (And thus the target universe always existed to begin with.)
    Ok... but when you explain it that way.... there are no parallel universes involved, merely a single twisted timeline that never actually changes.
    The thing that bugs me more is the infinite escalation of the concept of 'anything can and will happen in one reality or another' (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact wording) with regards to transdimensional travel. For that assertion to be correct, it must always be possible to cross into other realities (or go back and forth between timelines, that's perhaps a more generic way of describing it), rather along the lines of the Prime, Mirror and Kelvin universes in ST. More to the point, there must be a 'meta-timeline' where this ability is used massively, and a meta-timeline where it isn't used at all. However, logical progression would indicate that there must also be a way to cross from one meta-timeline to another. Again, there must be a meta-meta-timeline where this is used, and a meta-meta-timeline where it isn't... and logical progression repeats the process ad infinitum. I like the idea of being able to cross over into a sci-fi universe, but this is just one headache I don't need. :p
    This is why I dislike the concept of "infinite" worlds where everything has happened. It falls apart as a concept when you add interdimensional travel.... also it has the flaw of "does the universe really split in two every time you make a decision?" The idea that the number of parallel universe is continually increasing would seem to be a violation of the law of conservation of mass.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Ok... but when you explain it that way.... there are no parallel universes involved, merely a single twisted timeline that never actually changes.

Eh, not really. There's an infinite number of timelines (or meta-timelines, or meta-meta-timelines, etc.) for an infinite amount of universes - except instead of new ones being created by time travel, their very existence separate from their 'parents' is predetermined.
    This is why I dislike the concept of "infinite" worlds where everything has happened. It falls apart as a concept when you add interdimensional travel.... also it has the flaw of "does the universe really split in two every time you make a decision?" The idea that the number of parallel universe is continually increasing would seem to be a violation of the law of conservation of mass.

It doesn't so much 'fall apart' as descend into an infinite recursive loop. And, as noted above, there's no splitting at any point - all the possible outcomes and their associated timelines are already there, you just don't know which one you're in. (Also, 'decision-making' isn't the only way the timelines are differentiated... the smallest movement of the smallest subatomic particle in the smallest period of time can have multiple outcomes, and therefore multiple timeline branches associated with it.)

Besides, would you prefer things like Schrödinger's cat, where the cat is simultaneously dead and alive because you haven't checked which is it? *shudders*

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I think Daniels and the disfigured bad guy are the same person. We're slowly seeing Daniels transform into that person as the timeline changes. Perhaps he himself is some kind of hinge on which the whole thing infinitely revolves. He may very well end up being a Temporal Agent gone wrong. We may find that out somewhere down the line. Just a thought.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Eh, not really. There's an infinite number of timelines (or meta-timelines, or meta-meta-timelines, etc.) for an infinite amount of universes - except instead of new ones being created by time travel, their very existence separate from their 'parents' is predetermined.
    It doesn't so much 'fall apart' as descend into an infinite recursive loop. And, as noted above, there's no splitting at any point - all the possible outcomes and their associated timelines are already there, you just don't know which one you're in. (Also, 'decision-making' isn't the only way the timelines are differentiated... the smallest movement of the smallest subatomic particle in the smallest period of time can have multiple outcomes, and therefore multiple timeline branches associated with it.)

Besides, would you prefer things like Schrödinger's cat, where the cat is simultaneously dead and alive because you haven't checked which is it? *shudders*
    Schrödinger created the thought experiment to explain why he thought states could NOT exist unresolved and that uncertainty is only because we don't know what the state is, not that the state is undecided.

Also when you take the infinite world thing to it's logical conclusion.... (start at 2:50)
    https://youtu.be/WqNlTmBCo4s?t=164

that one was edited for brevity. full quote:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7TxA4ahgLs
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Real question...

Why are we still assuming that Daniels is allied with the Federation.

The only evidence to this is when Daniels brought Archer to the future to witness the battle against the Sphere Builders but even that was ambiguous at best. Was he on a Federation ship? Because everything other explanation Daniel's gave of who he worked for aren't clear. He NEVER says directly he works with the Federation.

His first conversation with Archer about when asked if he WAS with the Federation was some line like, "I work for a different agency, it's complicated."

Daniel's story is looking a lot like Annorax' - someone operating outside of their host government to fix or control events in time.

Not to mention his introduction style - he was on the show as a background character lurking rather than a direct introduction. The writers wanted to set the tone that Daniels was pulling the puppet strings of time from behind a curtain.

I think this ends up with Daniel's and the Envoy (and the figure who was giving orders to the Cobal) as the same person in different parts in time. Each with different agendas.
  • Options
    you can really tell the ones who still have yet to play temporal reckoning...people, daniels is NOT THE ENVOY​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    I'd say Daniels is probably an agent of the Galactic Union or something.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    you can really tell the ones who still have yet to play temporal reckoning...people, daniels is NOT THE ENVOY​​

And the Envoy's not as wounded as he appears, either. I think it's a deliberate attempt to mess with the player characters, since we'd take a much more straight shot at the Envoy if we knew the real identity involved.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    fovrel wrote: »
    Well, I do like the new expansion, but there are things I do not understand. I am a captain of a space ship. I get killed, well, sh.t happens, as we say. However, I am alive in the 25th century. Great, but I have a wife and kids in the 23th who are crying because of me KIA. I would like to inform them, that I am not dead. It would mean a lot to me, but what am I going to say?
    - I am in the 25th century ..
    - Oh, can't you come back ..
    - No, it would disturb the timeline ..
    - And ... you getting there did not disturb the timeline .. did not disturb anything?

yes, it is the same thing for the TOS boffs. All these temporal stuff are just cr.p; like the mirror stuff in the star trek franchise. oooh! those are villains who have mustaches or beards; ridiculous.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited July 2016

And the Envoy's not as wounded as he appears, either. I think it's a deliberate attempt to mess with the player characters, since we'd take a much more straight shot at the Envoy if we knew the real identity involved.
    I actually believe that he is as wounded as he appears:
    Daniels is getting more and more disfigured because the Envoy gains new allies and becomes closer and closer to victory and thus less and less disfigured. When Leeta mortally shoots Daniels and let her whole fleet join the Envoy, the timeline becomes one where he emerges victorious and thus not disfigured, because there is no Daniels' tactics to oppose them. Only your presence (and Scotty's) changes this "bad" timeline.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Its looking more and more like Daniels and the Envoy are entwined to the point they share a single common health pool - as the Envoy heals, Daniels worsens.

I'm largely expecting the payoff to be the Envoy is in some fashion the mirror universe version of Daniels.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yeah... Renegades isn't canon in the slightest.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    STO is licensed by the IP holder. Renegades is not licensed by the IP holder. Cryptic is not permitted to borrow elements from any medium that is not licensed by the IP holder, which includes fan films.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    CBS can borrow things from fan productions. They hold the IP, so they can do what they like with it. Cryptic is not permitted the same freedoms that CBS Studios has, and is limited with what they can include in the game. Fan films are one of those things that they are not allowed to borrow from.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    The Countdown comics aren't fan produced, either. They were similarly licensed.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg