test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

~Really only 4 boring species for TOS faction?!?!

Comments

• Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Okay.

I am also holding out hope they will come up with another lifer race, frankly i dont really care what.

Also that prospect of having a species respec token that someone mentioned is hinted at by Daniels (whom i dislike greatly) even though that sounds far fetched for cryptic to do sounds good to me also. So i hope that pans out.

I dont appreciate some of the snarky replies but what did i expect posting here with all the pillars of humanity represented here.

I know some share my feeling. All I was saying is that there is still opportunity for lifer races, and new tricks to change species after the fact.
    I was hoping for Saurians too but whatever it's not a big deal.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    there is no species change token; one of the devs killed that speculation weeks ago​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I'll be rolling a Vulcan Tac officer bound for a Perseus-skinned Theseus. Her first officer will be a Human Tac named Flash Johnson, because lowbrow humor.
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Well i'll be rolling Tac Andorian, but still kinda wish they had Caitians for AoY, i mean it's not included in the Fed base game either if you don't grab 'em off of the c-store first.

Hoping for some neat C-store things for the faction further down the road (that we're not already aware of)
    Pity lifetimers don't get anything shiny from this (from what i can gather), something small and ToS themed woulda been neat..
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I long since decided Id do something totally weird... A human tac... but Im gonna roll in the 60s cheese with it. Flash Gordon(maybe Flesh Gordon), Chief Medical Dr Flexi Jerkoff, X.O. Queen Ardala, Tactical Buck Rogers, Security Barbarella. I've also got Vampira, Galaxina, and Colonel Wilma Deering lined up ;) Need to find a few more cheese scifi names for male BOFF tho
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I long since decided Id do something totally weird... A human tac... but Im gonna roll in the 60s cheese with it. Flash Gordon(maybe Flesh Gordon), Chief Medical Dr Flexi Jerkoff, X.O. Queen Ardala, Tactical Buck Rogers, Security Barbarella. I've also got Vampira, Galaxina, and Colonel Wilma Deering lined up ;) Need to find a few more cheese scifi names for male BOFF tho

How about Booberella instead of Barbarella?

Booberella1.png
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    fatherrock wrote: »
    I will make a plain human, with the free extra character they will give. I will rush through it all and
    turn it into a crafter whos only reason to exist is to give my real characters bonuses.
    Like the delta recruit that is just a crafter

4 absolutely forgetable races....that is it. Fail.

^ This. At best, this new character i am creating will just be a milking cow to enrich my existing chars.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    To be honest I'm not even sure why I'm bothered. I'll be using an Andorian anyway. An ancestor of my Delta Recruit. I've already slightly tweaked my DR slightly and saved the costume in preparation to load it up.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bengahlbengahl Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    in the grand scheme of things it's only reaaaally a minor quibble.
  • Options
    reyan01 wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not even sure why I'm bothered. I'll be using an Andorian anyway. An ancestor of my Delta Recruit. I've already slightly tweaked my DR slightly and saved the costume in preparation to load it up.

I sort of wanted to create an 'ancestor' too, but my main is a Bajoran and my second most used character is Ocampa, so... yeah. :|

However, this isn't an issue that I'll lose any sleep over; I'll likely just roll an Andorian. Which reminds me - shouldn't Aenar be an option too? I mean, they were in 'Enterprise' which was, obviously, set before TOS.

That's real logic, not Cryptic logic. Else we'd have Rigellians and Denobulans as well.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Peanut Butter Sandwichs in school, where have you been? These days you can't bring Peanut Butter to school. I'm surprised it doesn't have the 500 foot exclusion zone that firearms have from school grounds. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    To be honest I'm not even sure why I'm bothered. I'll be using an Andorian anyway. An ancestor of my Delta Recruit. I've already slightly tweaked my DR slightly and saved the costume in preparation to load it up.

I sort of wanted to create an 'ancestor' too, but my main is a Bajoran and my second most used character is Ocampa, so... yeah. :|

However, this isn't an issue that I'll lose any sleep over; I'll likely just roll an Andorian. Which reminds me - shouldn't Aenar be an option too? I mean, they were in 'Enterprise' which was, obviously, set before TOS.

That's real logic, not Cryptic logic. Else we'd have Rigellians and Denobulans as well.​​

Well, whilst you are absolutely right, I can't help but feel that there is no excuse at all for the Aenar not being an option. At least it can be argued that Rigellians and Denobulans are from different planets. Aenar however are from the exact same planet as the Andorians.

In my opinion Aenar would have made an awesome special live-timer race choice. Sadly I doubt Cryptic thinks about them at all at the moment and will likely bring them (or some other race) into play weeks after the initial release of AoY. Won’t be any use to me as I want to make the new toon asp to grab the FE rewards and I surely won’t redo or make yet another.

Given canon and the various films and series there is really no reason why races like Denobulans, Deltans, Aenar, Caitians or Orions arent included or at least playable. An expanded alien creator to customize stuff from the Journey to Babel episode or the ST4 council chambers would have been fun as well.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

@artan42 out of curiosity, how would you "explain" the ancestor casually serving alongside his descendant? The TOS character is brought into the future, at that point erasing the timeline your current character has. I was thinking of doing the same with a Tellarite of mine, but this issue irks me a bit. Of course, one could also ignore it because Cryptic/STO wouldn't give a squeal anyway, but I'm still curious.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

@artan42 out of curiosity, how would you "explain" the ancestor casually serving alongside his descendant? The TOS character is brought into the future, at that point erasing the timeline your current character has. I was thinking of doing the same with a Tellarite of mine, but this issue irks me a bit. Of course, one could also ignore it because Cryptic/STO wouldn't give a squeal anyway, but I'm still curious.

Providing my TOS character's offspring existed prior to them disappearing into the future the offspring's life will remain unaffected won't it. So the offspring will continue the family line until 2410 where the decedent is recruited by Crey.

Unless that's not what you meant.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Providing my TOS character's offspring existed prior to them disappearing into the future the offspring's life will remain unaffected won't it. So the offspring will continue the family line until 2410 where the decedent is recruited by Crey.

Unless that's not what you meant.

No, that's what I meant. I suppose that could work. sigh I still would have preferred a proper TOS part of the game, not interwoven with the rest aside from sharing boni and account commodities (a kind of temporal container/temporal communication device).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think it's fine. It might give us some races actually that we don't see that often - Andorians or Telleraties are not actually such a common sight among STO players.

@artan42 out of curiosity, how would you "explain" the ancestor casually serving alongside his descendant? The TOS character is brought into the future, at that point erasing the timeline your current character has. I was thinking of doing the same with a Tellarite of mine, but this issue irks me a bit. Of course, one could also ignore it because Cryptic/STO wouldn't give a squeal anyway, but I'm still curious.

"Now we know what really happened to our great-great-great-grandfather!"
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I think it's fine. It might give us some races actually that we don't see that often - Andorians or Telleraties are not actually such a common sight among STO players.

"Now we know what really happened to our great-great-great-grandfather!"

DS9 touched on this theme in 'Trials and Tribble-ations' when Dr Bashir, posing as a crewmember aboard the Enterprise (1701) met Lieutenant Watley and thought she might be his great-grandmother and he might be his own great-grandfather. She wasn't - but the predestination paradox possibility was definitely there.
    it's a bit "masturbatory", but he could also say that his children were not conceived yet, and that they still exist is an unsolved paradox.

I imagine Daniels or Cray saying: "That happen sometimes. We prefer not to speak about it."
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    there is no species change token; one of the devs killed that speculation weeks ago​​

Borticus, in the thread linked to on the first page. He, too, speculates, that it is the (unused) racial trait respec token and got confused.

Well, whilst you are absolutely right, I can't help but feel that there is no excuse at all for the Aenar not being an option. At least it can be argued that Rigellians and Denobulans are from different planets. Aenar however are from the exact same planet as the Andorians.

It's not "Cryptic Logic" but "Real Logic (tm)" here, but it's a Cryptic decision. As has been stated the exclusion of other races is not about not being canonically possible (or known) Fed members at this time, but that this expansion is a TOS special. Meaning not expanded canon, not TAS, not the movies, but just the three seasons of the original "Star Trek" series. (Which would have allowed for some more races, too, but we don't know anything about them except for names and looks.) So arguing about canonically existing races is missing the point here.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All species are boring except Aliens.

Not that I really care. My AoY toon, like my Delta Recruit, will exist just to unlock the account rewards then maybe farm some dil if/when I feel like farming on multiple toons.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    /glances at all the "conventionally" average characters I have, with Bajoran being the most "latex forehead alien" I've made.

Hmm. I suspect I'll be okay with it. But yeah, that's just me; different people/different preferences. :/
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    As long as human is an option I'm happy.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    bengahl wrote: »
    in the grand scheme of things it's only reaaaally a minor quibble.
    Except when you consider that the standard FED faction is going to have access to the same ships, costumes, and weaponry, plus all available (and IP appropriate) TOS species options. That means at the end-game the TOS faction is going to be less able to represent a TOS character. There's a pretty big "then what's the point of implementing this as a mini-faction?" hanging over that.

If someone wants to roll the simple four, well and good. But for every other choice what Cryptic has basically said is "Sorry, but only people who subscribe to our view of TOS are allowed into AOY. Go have your IP appropriate TOS fun as a normal FED" which of course is an easy trade-off when you consider that leveling intro arcs isn't the biggest time sink in STO.

Basically, it starts as a minor quibble but when you take it in context this small thing can flip the expansion around. That only applies to those who want to go with something else, but affecting less than the total population doesn't make the griping moot. :tongue:

xyquarze wrote: »
    Fed members at this time, but that this expansion is a TOS special. Meaning not expanded canon, not TAS, not the movies, but just the three seasons of the original "Star Trek" series.

I think they really lost that point though when they didn't expand the playable roster to other FED species seen in TOS (see. the other Babel delegates) which definitely would have addressed the practical side of the concern stated above (ie. give the TOS faction non-redundant species.)

Ultimately what we got was the four most convenient choices. The selection among those follows an aesthetic rule, but to me the parsimony is what stands out.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User

On a side note, you can't even come close to making something close to an Aenar on tribble.

jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Have a link? Not saying I don't believe you, always considered it a long shot anyway, I'd just like to read it, the only thread I've been following on the subject hasn't had a post in some time.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    I believe you missed Mr. Gecko's explanation in his very first AoY interview with P-1, about Their 'reasons' for limiting the player character types for this expansion...

And according to him at that time, yes it was "set in stone."
    B)

Lol yea davey, as usual you dont read between the lines or just dont post it when you do, i will.

What Mr. Gecko's explanation didn't include as reasons for limiting character types is this.

The overhead it would have cost to do it was put into z-store ships instead.

:p

• Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Their really is no mystery here, they did this because they are already available in the game, no overhead burned on development whatsoever.

Cheapest route: Most z-store $ for least investment, any other observations are just icing on the cake, if that.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    They made the decision to limit TOS to 4 species on the account of us or for them? Who does this benefit?
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Seems like "generic alien" wouldn't have cost anything extra to include....
  • Options
    trejgontrejgon Member Posts: 323 Arc User

@artan42 out of curiosity, how would you "explain" the ancestor casually serving alongside his descendant? The TOS character is brought into the future, at that point erasing the timeline your current character has. I was thinking of doing the same with a Tellarite of mine, but this issue irks me a bit. Of course, one could also ignore it because Cryptic/STO wouldn't give a squeal anyway, but I'm still curious.​​

launch trailer suggest that said "ancestor" would be pulled out of his/her timeline at the moment when he/she woudl die in a seconds anyway.....

so it would not erase any timeline for anyone,

so the only potentiall issue would be psychological impact of meeting your great-great-great-grand-child/great-great-great-grand-parent....

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Elenortirie_xSmall.png