test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

~Really only 4 boring species for TOS faction?!?!

officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
I was anticipating doing the AoY recruit event by quickly grinding out the rewards and deleting the TOS toon like i did the Delta recruit. But with the details of the rewards that came out to day it essentially manipulates you to make a keeper toon due to the long long term nature of it.

I'm not thrilled with the 4 boring TOS species available for making a keeper toon.
I'm not going to sit here and whine how unfair it is that we cannot use species we paid for from the Cstore and LTS because that has been done.......instead im just simply going to state how epically disapointed i am and beg the powers that be reconsider at least ONE of these species. Even if you introduce one i dont have I'll buy it just for this TOS event.

Is there any talk of reconsideration? I dont care how much it makes sense for species X to be walking around the 23rd century, this is after all centered around time travel.

How about making it possible to start a human toon in the 23rd century and have him travel to the 25th century and go through a borg STF like Khitomer in Stasis and get assimilated then have the option of turning him into a liberated borg if we own that option?

Please.

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    We could have got Caitians, but the decision was to limit AoY to species only from live action TOS, which is the reason we have all the Andorians and Tellarites, because so many of them were seen in Starfleet in TOS.

This is the single example of an Andorian in a TOS Starfleet uniform.

Thelin

latest?cb=20061210230534​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    We could have got Caitians, but the decision was to limit AoY to species only from live action TOS, which is the reason we have all the Andorians and Tellarites, because so many of them were seen in Starfleet in TOS.

This is the single example of an Andorian in a TOS Starfleet uniform.

Thelin

latest?cb=20061210230534​​

Ok .... So ... They pulled use of personal shields from the animated series. SO ... why not some of the other species?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Humans are the single most exciting and interesting species of intelligent life in the history of the universe. So what you mean by boring?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I was anticipating doing the AoY recruit event by quickly grinding out the rewards and deleting the TOS toon like i did the Delta recruit. But with the details of the rewards that came out to day it essentially manipulates you to make a keeper toon due to the long long term nature of it.

I'm not thrilled with the 4 boring TOS species available for making a keeper toon.
    I'm not going to sit here and whine how unfair it is that we cannot use species we paid for from the Cstore and LTS because that has been done.......instead im just simply going to state how epically disapointed i am and beg the powers that be reconsider at least ONE of these species. Even if you introduce one i dont have I'll buy it just for this TOS event.

Is there any talk of reconsideration? I dont care how much it makes sense for species X to be walking around the 23rd century, this is after all centered around time travel.

How about making it possible to start a human toon in the 23rd century and have him travel to the 25th century and go through a borg STF like Khitomer in Stasis and get assimilated then have the option of turning him into a liberated borg if we own that option?

Please.

What are the four? Human, romulan, Klingons and andorians?

What do you expect from Cryptic?

Would be nice to get others at least a Gorn or alien? Will they sell other species still? They lost a ton of money by not even making this available in other species.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    You only just now picked up on this?? Where have you been? This whine sailed a long time ago
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    On the off chance you actually want to influence the game's direction and aren't just complaining for the joy of seeing your own text on the screen, you kind of need to get involved in these discussions about 4-6 weeks earlier when its being talked about in the test server boards and Devs are directly involved in reading feedback. This train has long since left the station... not that it was ever really up for discussion due to the overriding Design reasons driving the decision.

Asked and explained a month ago. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/comment/12938303
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    You only just now picked up on this?? Where have you been? This whine sailed a long time ago
    ... and the "cheese" attached to it is really moldy.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    Um im not a late comer. I was fully aware of this back when it was new. And i was in the "discussions" as you put it, but those were just people complaining and writhing around, it wasnt a round table political discussion with devs as you put it.

Its called renewing the discussion. Since it was on tribble it was subject to change. It wasnt set in stone. I was/am hoping to sway the community to a logical argument.

How naive was I, all i got was 'where were you, you only figured this out now' schitt.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited June 2016
    its ready to ship in a handful of days... yeah that's TOTALLY the time to try and get some change /sarcasm
  • Options
    And yet it's going to turn out exactly the way I explained it, for exactly the reasons I described. Find a more compelling argument than "I don't like it" and make that argument back when there's time to change things.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I believe you missed Mr. Gecko's explanation in his very first AoY interview with P-1, about Their 'reasons' for limiting the player character types for this expansion...

And according to him at that time, yes it was "set in stone."
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    For comparison, they basically reworked 1/4 of all the skill tree unlocks to fit patterns I described to them because my arrangement solved more problems than it created. They do listen to player input in the test forum and they can be persuaded to make changes, but you have to do it in a timely fashion and you have to understand the consequences 2-3 steps ahead in Developer terms or you're just wasting your breath.

A week before launch this kind of request is exactly that: wasted breath. Doubly so because you plainly either don't understand or don't accept WHY the decision was made.
  • Options
    sp00kymulder#3221 sp00kymulder Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    what makes this limitation so stupidly insane is that it only "matters" for the first 6 missions on the TOS faction side.

after those 6 missions you go to the future and all content you play aftewards is the same content the other 3 factions get to play, who all have full species access.

so they are limiting you to 4 species for your entire character's "life" just because of the 6 missions at the very beginning of the TOS faction.
  • Options
    ... and because THAT particular Toon is from the TWENTY-THIRD CENTURY... and is meant to played as such.
    B)
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    They do listen to player input in the test forum and they can be persuaded to make changes

3833996.jpg​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Humans are the single most exciting and interesting species of intelligent life in the history of the universe. So what you mean by boring?

So much this.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    nikeix wrote: »
    They do listen to player input in the test forum and they can be persuaded to make changes

3833996.jpg​​

Can't they be both?

Personally, I am hoping for there to be a new Lifer TOS race. Can't use Liberated Borg Humans and each expansion introduced a new Lifer race. Legacy of Romulus had Liberated Borg Romulans and Delta Rising had Talaxians. Maybe we will have Kelvin Universe Caitians for whoever bought the Caitian race and whatever species 0718 is for Lifers to keep the cybernetic race style of Liberated Borg.
  • Options
    storules wrote: »
    3833996.jpg​​
    Ok, consider your own response to the Lock Box Exchange proposal.
    Yeah. Won me over. Good points made in this thread.
    I'll be changing it to Perception.
    There have been a couple of not-bad suggestions in this thread. I'm hesitant to jump on board with them, or call them out publicly, since it might be too late for a major change like this. I have to check a lot of variables on my end before pulling any triggers.

The GOOD news of this thread is that it contains a whole bunch of ideas that, while they might not be excellent suggestions for a Skill, would definitely make the cut for Traits, Starship Traits, Spec Abilities, Set Bonuses, or Doff Abilities. So while I might shoot them down now, I'm also bookmarking the thread for later reference. ;)
    This thread is shaping up to be another one of those where the suggestions being made don't quite fit what our design is aiming for, but aren't bad designs for other aspects of gameplay. So, again I'm bookmarking it!
    Does [Nikeix's proposal] address the other feedback in this thread? Cause other issues?

I speak "Dev" very well. I'm offering free advice on how to actually get what you want. No one will make you take it.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Some on Tribble have noticed an alert message saying they earned a race change token, so it's possible TOS characters will be able to race change after completing the first six missions. No official word on that though so it's all just speculation at this point.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Some on Tribble have noticed an alert message saying they earned a race change token, so it's possible TOS characters will be able to race change after completing the first six missions. No official word on that though so it's all just speculation at this point.

So time travel can change a person's genetics to be a completely different race just like transporters are known to combine two people together, separate a person into their good half and evil half, and clone a person?
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

So time travel can change a person's genetics to be a completely different race just like transporters are known to combine two people together, separate a person into their good half and evil half, and clone a person?
    Daniel's says something about you getting special training to fit in in the current timeline. If they add a race change, it could probably be explained as a cosmetic only change like was shown in the various series from time to time.

In my case, if race change is an option, my TOS character will simply be assimilated immediately after coming to the future, then liberated fairly quickly.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User

*that we know of
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    That sounds like the old species re-trait code that never got completely removed to me. It very often gets mistaken by people for being a race change. But I seriously hope they do add race change eventually! Might make use of that Rom-side.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I'm not sure which one I'm choosing at this time. I will decide when the release hits. Last time I chose an Andorian, and have an Andorian theme going with the Delta Recruit. I'm sure I will come up with something.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,281 Arc User
    i made a vulcan for my tribble tester...when AoY hits holodeck, i might just go with that vulcan again - science, of course, since the entire expansion is LOADED with sciency goodness, and it'll be a nice homage to leonard nimoy (i will not, however, be naming him any permutation of spock...i have more originality than that)

either that, or i'll make another human with as much of a russian look as i can in honor of anton yelchin​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I'll be using a human for AoY, gonna name him Elliot Spencer and his ship will be the USS Nathan Ford.

I would suggest instead, your toon be Nathan Ford, Captain of the Leverage.
    Tactical Officer Elliot Spencer.
    Security Officer Parker.
    Science Officer Alec Hardison.
    Communications Officer Sophie Devereaux.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    fatherrockfatherrock Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    I will make a plain human, with the free extra character they will give. I will rush through it all and
    turn it into a crafter whos only reason to exist is to give my real characters bonuses.
    Like the delta recruit that is just a crafter

4 absolutely forgetable races....that is it. Fail.
  • Options
    Okay.

I am also holding out hope they will come up with another lifer race, frankly i dont really care what.

Also that prospect of having a species respec token that someone mentioned is hinted at by Daniels (whom i dislike greatly) even though that sounds far fetched for cryptic to do sounds good to me also. So i hope that pans out.

I dont appreciate some of the snarky replies but what did i expect posting here with all the pillars of humanity represented here.

I know some share my feeling. All I was saying is that there is still opportunity for lifer races, and new tricks to change species after the fact.