What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So JJ-verse Trek is coming to STO

Comments

• Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Boo!
    Much as I dislike the Kelvin timeline, the fact that they are identifying and isolating it as a separate timeline largely removes my objections to it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!
    gradii wrote: »
    "The story doesn't 'erase' anything,

(Looks at space where Romulus used to be.) :D
    (Looks at space where Vulcan used to be.) :D

They're only gone in the Kelvin Timeline. In the Prime Timeline, nothing has changed.

Romulus is pretty darn gone in the prime timeline. That's not what I have a problem with either.

Romulus still exists in the Kelvin Timeline. But I mean what's the big deal? Alderaan's been gone for ages in Star Wars and those fans didn't bat an eyelash when yet another planet was destroyed in Force Awakens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Don't care.

They're only gone in the Kelvin Timeline. In the Prime Timeline, nothing has changed.

Romulus is pretty darn gone in the prime timeline. That's not what I have a problem with either.

Romulus still exists in the Kelvin Timeline. But I mean what's the big deal? Alderaan's been gone for ages in Star Wars and those fans didn't bat an eyelash when yet another planet was destroyed in Force Awakens.

That was a long time ago a galaxy far FAR away of coarse no one cared:hushed:
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Boo!
    My whole beef with JJverse (and JJ Himself) is that it seems that he really just phones in the efforts ( to the point where phoned in episodes of the TV series look award winning) and throws in distractions to cover up that half of the script is really previous movies script, just jumbled together, and altered enough to appear that it almost could be a new, coherent peice of work, that goes towards both Star Trek, and Star Wars.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Yay!
    jade1280 wrote: »
    With this new lighting system being added it is the perfect time to add more lens flares!

You know... I'd expect a 4 year-old to repeat "lens flare" over and over like they'd just discovered a new word... but a four year-old watching the first movie would be eleven now, and they'd have GOTTEN OVER IT.

Seriously, do the haters re-watch the movie twice a year just to keep their bile fresh?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yay!
    One thing someone pointed out to me a few days ago is that we've actually had a piece of Nu-trek in the game all along.... look at the transporter effect used when Fed engineers summon pets...... That's the effect used in the Kelvin Timeline.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yay!
    nikeix wrote: »
    With this new lighting system being added it is the perfect time to add more lens flares!

You know... I'd expect a 4 year-old to repeat "lens flare" over and over like they'd just discovered a new word... but a four year-old watching the first movie would be eleven now, and they'd have GOTTEN OVER IT.

Seriously, do the haters re-watch the movie twice a year just to keep their bile fresh?
    I bought all the VHS tapes, DVDs and Blurays in my local shop to avoid other people being exposed to it, and I watch them to be sure I wasn't given a faulty copy!

Mustrum "Kelvin Timeline is fun, but DS9 rules" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Yay!

That was a long time ago a galaxy far FAR away of coarse no one cared:hushed:

I did. I am a massive Star Wars fan, and I thought JJ blew up Coruscant when I saw the Starkiller base fire off it's weapon in cinema. I knew it was one of the core world regions. Turns out it was Hosnian Prme, but I never knew that at the time.

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    my thread that got deleted a month or so ago was spot on as much as i hate the idea of jjcrapverse on sto :p.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    phyloephyloe Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Yay!
    Interesting, people are upset that the developers are adding elements from Star Trek to a Star Trek game. There are things that I like and things that I dislike about the Kelvin Timeline. Then again, there are things I dislike about the Prime Universe. I'll take it all in stride and keep in mind that more content in a game is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    phyloe wrote: »
    Interesting, people are upset that the developers are adding elements from Star Trek to a Star Trek game. There are things that I like and things that I dislike about the Kelvin Timeline. Then again, there are things I dislike about the Prime Universe. I'll take it all in stride and keep in mind that more content in a game is probably a good thing.

the first two films were full of plotholes and silliness. if jjcrapverse is coming to sto, it better be top notch, otherwise i wont even touch it.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Much as I dislike the Kelvin timeline, the fact that they are identifying and isolating it as a separate timeline largely removes my objections to it.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it as well.​​

This is the fun part of the DCU. What happens when they change that around? And the earth you thought was earth prime because you were all into it, ends up being the alternate earth the whole time? Earth 1? Earth 2? Earth Prime? Earth 3? Earth 52? They're all the proper timeline ... from their own perspective.

And if by chance the show moves on with the Kelvin Timeline and the films move on with the Kelvin Timeline and we get nothing but Kelvin Timeline for 10, 20 or 30 years straight ... the whole idea that the Prime Universe is "prime" in any way shape or form gets decayed.

For fans this is obviously a soul shattering concept.

For writers, producers, actors and creators? This is freedom and opportunity. You get a chance to retcon/reboot/do Trek YOUR way. With open ended ability to write new things, mesh old things you liked, forget old things you didn't, and get new actors into the mix with new takes, and new energy.

I think it's time we just called the non-Kelvin Timeline that everyone loves here, Star Trek 616. Because it's certainly NOT Ultimate Star Trek.

;)

Granted, none of this is immune to a massive convergence event, say something akin to Unity, happening and causing a wildstorm of sorts where Kirk's you forgot existed start showing up in your ultraverse of multiverses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yay!

the first two films were full of plotholes and silliness. if jjcrapverse is coming to sto, it better be top notch, otherwise i wont even touch it.

What you won't touch, I will relish in spades and purchase ASAP...

Then fly around your Starbase and set off as many JJ-Trek-Lens-Flares that my brand new AR-Enterprise can muster.

maxresdefault.jpg
    <chuckle>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

What you won't touch, I will relish in spades...

Then fly around your Starbase and set off as many JJ-Trek-Lens-Flares that my brand new AR-Enterprise can muster.

maxresdefault.jpg
    <chuckle>

just make sure you dont blind yourself with those lens flares, alright? :p
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    daveyny wrote: »

What you won't touch, I will relish in spades...

maxresdefault.jpg
    <chuckle>

just make sure you dont blind yourself with those lens flares, alright? :p

Not possible..., they will all be pointing at you...
    maxresdefault.jpg

<snicker>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have to say, my only problem with JJ stuff being added is that the 'Dreadnought class' (i.e the Vengeance ) will be added at some point. And it'll very probably be stupidly OP.

In otherwords, a stupidly OP ship in a game that already has powercreep issues. I daresay we'll see ISA being completed in thirty seconds before long.

It will be an Arbiter with a hangar, or basically the Fed version of the Scimitar.

Who knows whether it will be OP, though..

I made a mock up of what I think it will be in my sig.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Boo!
    Meh it was inevitable that this was going to happen. What I am excited about is the follow posts after future content is released and there is nothing about the Kelvin Time Line in it. The folks that wanted it added will have it in game in it's part/area of the game and that is it. The next level of power creep will be in effect and you will basically never/rarely see any of the Kelvin Time Line ships in game. In other words their trolling will be short lived and soon everyone will be back to business as usual.

Cirran
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yay!
    Honestly, I think the Devs have wanted to use the new stuff the entire time but couldn't until now.
    tp2c_by_marhawkman-da77k32.png
    This has always been there...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Yay!

It always has been identified as a separate timeline, as dialogue mentioned in the '09 film specifically mentions, assuming you were paying attention to it for other reasons than to remember what to cry about later. This is why you AR haters have always seemed foolish.

Ironically, AR haters are probably people who just looooooove the hot garbage that is Voyager and Enterprise too.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    Boo!
    vampeiyre wrote: »

Ironically, AR haters are probably people who just looooooove the hot garbage that is Voyager and Enterprise too.

Errr....what? Way to generalise people there!
    I need a beer.

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

This is the fun part of the DCU. What happens when they change that around? And the earth you thought was earth prime because you were all into it, ends up being the alternate earth the whole time? Earth 1? Earth 2? Earth Prime? Earth 3? Earth 52? They're all the proper timeline ... from their own perspective.

And if by chance the show moves on with the Kelvin Timeline and the films move on with the Kelvin Timeline and we get nothing but Kelvin Timeline for 10, 20 or 30 years straight ... the whole idea that the Prime Universe is "prime" in any way shape or form gets decayed.

For fans this is obviously a soul shattering concept.

For writers, producers, actors and creators? This is freedom and opportunity. You get a chance to retcon/reboot/do Trek YOUR way. With open ended ability to write new things, mesh old things you liked, forget old things you didn't, and get new actors into the mix with new takes, and new energy.

I think it's time we just called the non-Kelvin Timeline that everyone loves here, Star Trek 616. Because it's certainly NOT Ultimate Star Trek.

;)

Granted, none of this is immune to a massive convergence event, say something akin to Unity, happening and causing a wildstorm of sorts where Kirk's you forgot existed start showing up in your ultraverse of multiverses.

Star Trek 616 and Star Trek 1610 are certainly better designations than the Prime Universe and JJ Universe. Calling regular Star Trek as the Prime Universe implies that it is superior to the other Star Trek realities. How do we know that the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk are better than the adventures of Captain Jane T. Kirk?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yay!
    Why not Star Trek 1701 and 1071? :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Why not Star Trek 1701 and 1071? :p

That works too. There actually might be legal problems with Cryptic and CBS using 616 and 1610. 616 and 1610 is only used to differentiate between the original reality and the "ultimate" reality.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Yay!
    I really don't mind the AR stuff at all. It will be interesting to see! But being the old school TOS fan that I am this made me chuckle:

https://youtu.be/axTdv68wIvk
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    groundhogmokagroundhogmoka Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    Yay!
    I'm cool with it being added in. I love Star Trek in ANY form even the alternate universe movies.
  • Options
    alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    Yay!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have to say, my only problem with JJ stuff being added is that the 'Dreadnought class' (i.e the Vengeance ) will be added at some point. And it'll very probably be stupidly OP.

In otherwords, a stupidly OP ship in a game that already has powercreep issues. I daresay we'll see ISA being completed in thirty seconds before long.

Well, it's about time the Feds put the Scimitar back in its place.
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Don't care.

oh and STO isnt full of the same thing?
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Yay!
    my thread that got deleted a month or so ago was spot on as much as i hate the idea of jjcrapverse on sto :p.

Don't hurt yourself from patting your own back, 'kay...?

Some of us knew this was coming long before you did.

But, that doesn't matter now.... WELCOME TO THE KELVIN TIMELINE!!!! You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave... :lol:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Don't care.
    mhall85 wrote: »

Don't hurt yourself from patting your own back, 'kay...?

Some of us knew this was coming long before you did.

But, that doesn't matter now.... WELCOME TO THE KELVIN TIMELINE!!!! You can check out any time you'd like, but you can never leave... :lol:

Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
    My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
    I had to stop for the night

Clearly about lensflares.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]