test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So JJ-verse Trek is coming to STO

Comments

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Boo!
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Nothing like pissing on fans who have supported Trek for 50 years. People who spent hours and hours of time writing NBC and Paramount to save Trek long before JJ was born along with his cult od personality fan base. Seriously JJ is it's own thing and does not belong in the universe of TOS,DS9,TNG,VOY, and ENT.

But JJ Trek IS TOS. It's a reboot and return to the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones. And now it's being written and pushed forward by Simon Pegg, fanboy darling.

What's your beef exactly? Why not give Pegg-trek a try? The only way fans would be even giddier is if Nate Fillion and Sarah Michelle Gellar joined the team too.
    First off what JJ did was in no way a reboot. It is however a seperate universe created by an event in Prime universe that split the universe yet again by that I am refering to the two time lines of "real" and "Mirror" into three seperate timelines real, mirror and AR. A reboot would not have changed the place of Kirks birth. Which was set in stone (a fixed point in time in dr. who terms) by Gene Roddenberry himself after discussions with the town of Riverside, Iowa. It could have changed that the circumstances of his fathers life and demise without effectivly rendering established canon moot. I do like a lot of JJ's work but IMHO he really did a diservice with his AR. I hope Simon has brought things more into the flow of established Trek instead of being yet another blow stuff up film. Having seen both trailers released to date it looks like yet another special effects blow stuff up popcorn movie in the school of Star Wars.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Yay!
    Nothing like pissing on fans who have supported Trek for 50 years. People who spent hours and hours of time writing NBC and Paramount to save Trek long before JJ was born along with his cult od personality fan base. Seriously JJ is it's own thing and does not belong in the universe of TOS,DS9,TNG,VOY, and ENT.
    How about none of the above reasons. 1) Using lens flares to hide details 2) Using cliches (daddy died when I was a baby, step dad is uncool, so I drink and brawl) as an excuse for Kirk being a real ****. 3 ) real bad rewrite of TWOK and expect it to have the same gut wrench that Nimoy's death scene had. 4) inconsistent size of ships 5) Lots of action but little substence. 6) warp drives have exhaust plumes???
    Seriously I really enjoyed Lost, Star Wars Force awakens, Fringe was wicked good. I just wish Abrhams had paid a bit more attention to the Trek universe.
    I just wish Abrhams had paid a bit more attention to the Trek universe.

Yeah, like the removable brains, galactic barriers, time warp drive, and trapped divine beings who want a T6 Constitution.

Sush! Don't disrupt the pure unadulterated image of 'True Trek tm', so divine and unsullied. A heavenly mix of cerebral philosophy and divine writing. All hail the purest perfection that is every single hour of over 700 episodes.

Curse be upon JJ, who created remakes, whereas, until that point, all the other films and episodes had been 100% original and none were derivatives or remakes of others.

All praises be to the lyrical masterpiece of VOY and how obviously not a remake of TNG it was.

Glorious be stagnation, for we fear change. And damnation awaited JJ, for he stole close to a hundred million copies of TOS on DVD so nobody would ever be able to see the originals ever again. Oh, how we weep, for he has a large gun and is forcing every single ST fan to watch his films with no choice of their own to just shut up and not watch what they don't like.

Sod ENT for it has rewritten the past I have imagined. Sod VOY, it is a rehash of TNG. Sod DS9 for they aren't Trekking anywhere. Sod TNG for not being TOS but also for starting off as too much TOS. Sod the TOS films for they are fun and exciting and not TOS. Sod TMP for it is dull and lifeless. Sod TAS because I hate cats. Sod TOS because...

Hang about. There's a pattern here. Can somebody tell me what 'true trek' is?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Yay!

But JJ Trek IS TOS. It's a reboot and return to the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones. And now it's being written and pushed forward by Simon Pegg, fanboy darling.

What's your beef exactly? Why not give Pegg-trek a try? The only way fans would be even giddier is if Nate Fillion and Sarah Michelle Gellar joined the team too.
    First off what JJ did was in no way a reboot. It is however a seperate universe created by an event in Prime universe that split the universe yet again by that I am refering to the two time lines of "real" and "Mirror" into three seperate timelines real, mirror and AR. A reboot would not have changed the place of Kirks birth. Which was set in stone (a fixed point in time in dr. who terms) by Gene Roddenberry himself after discussions with the town of Riverside, Iowa. It could have changed that the circumstances of his fathers life and demise without effectivly rendering established canon moot. I do like a lot of JJ's work but IMHO he really did a diservice with his AR. I hope Simon has brought things more into the flow of established Trek instead of being yet another blow stuff up film. Having seen both trailers released to date it looks like yet another special effects blow stuff up popcorn movie in the school of Star Wars.

Amusingly, if you follow the licensed comics set in the Kelvin/JJ timeline by IDW, it's revealed that the Kelvin timeline has its own Mirror Universe as well. So, that adds yet another reality to your count.
    Boo!

Yeah, like the removable brains, galactic barriers, time warp drive, and trapped divine beings who want a T6 Constitution.

Yeah hey I'm the first to admit that Spocks Brain was really really bad. Hmmm Timewarp drive? are you refering to the two episodes of TOS where they bounced back in time along with 3 or 4 TNG episodes? Yeah pretty bad. Now the barrier thing that was interesting as we could now interput that as a dark energy field. The trapped divine being in st5 was divine but a crminal in a jail cell. Plus can you say Q? I was refering more to the feel of Trek and paying some attention to 50 years of work.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    Yay!
    H6l0hCP.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited June 2016
    Yay!

Yeah hey I'm the first to admit that Spocks Brain was really really bad. Hmmm Timewarp drive? are you refering to the two episodes of TOS where they bounced back in time along with 3 or 4 TNG episodes?

I think he's referring to the Wells and Aeon classes from VOY?
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Don't care.
    captsol wrote: »

Yeah hey I'm the first to admit that Spocks Brain was really really bad. Hmmm Timewarp drive? are you refering to the two episodes of TOS where they bounced back in time along with 3 or 4 TNG episodes?

You guys are terrible. Turn in your nerd cards and go reread TOS's first production episode.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
    edited June 2016
    Boo!

Amusingly, if you follow the licensed comics set in the Kelvin/JJ timeline by IDW, it's revealed that the Kelvin timeline has its own Mirror Universe as well. So, that adds yet another reality to your count.

Interesting. That said it seems that Trek is going the route of Marvel and DC keep rebooting and rebooting instead of letting things die. I have lost count of how many reboots of Batman, Superman, Avengers, x-men and so on have been made both in print and in film. I really wish JJ had created a new crew instead of what he had done.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    Yay!
    woo! wave your hands. the kelvin timeline klingons are just awesome + the ship is awesome too. a great news.
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Don't care.
    Interesting. That said it seems that Trek is going the route of Marvel and DC keep rebooting and rebooting instead of letting things die. I have lost count of how many reboots of Batman, Superman, Avengers, x-men and so on have been made both in print and in film. I really wish JJ had created a new crew instead of what he had done.

All of Hollywood does this now. Wholly new properties are risky business.

Things I didn't ever think they'd remake but did: Voltron, Danger Mouse, The Tomorrow People, V, The Andromeda Strain, War of the Worlds...
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Yay!
    [quote="ssbn655;12968241"][quote="snoggymack22;12968200"][quote="ssbn655;12968182"]Nothing like pissing on fans who have supported Trek for 50 years. People who spent hours and hours of time writing NBC and Paramount to save Trek long before JJ was born along with his cult od personality fan base. Seriously JJ is it's own thing and does not belong in the universe of TOS,DS9,TNG,VOY, and ENT. [/quote]

What's your beef exactly? Why not give Pegg-trek a try? The only way fans would be even giddier is if Nate Fillion and Sarah Michelle Gellar joined the team too.[/quote]
    [/quote]

So you complain about a Star Trek movie that blows stuff up but play a Star Trek where you do nothing but blow stuff up...
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    Yay!

You guys are terrible. Turn in your nerd cards and go reread TOS's first production episode.

*sniffs* Y-Yes sir.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Yay!

X-men and Avengers have been excellent so far. Superman not so much. (that's just an opinion though)

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!
    artan42 wrote: »
    Why would anybody object to a peice of Star Trek in STAR TREK Online?

Because:

1- They didn't like Lost/Alias/Fringe/Other-Bad-Robot stuff.
    2- This isn't "real" star trek and only "real" star trek counts.
    3- The lens flare jokes haven't run their course.
    4- The focus on action adventure trumps the cerebral stuff Trek was known for. And that rubs folks the wrong way because they got it in their head that Wagon Train to the Stars was never meant to have action in its adventures.

Or a mix of all of those.

How about none of the above reasons. 1) Using lens flares to hide details 2) Using cliches (daddy died when I was a baby, step dad is uncool, so I drink and brawl) as an excuse for Kirk being a real ****. 3 ) real bad rewrite of TWOK and expect it to have the same gut wrench that Nimoy's death scene had. 4) inconsistent size of ships 5) Lots of action but little substence. 6) warp drives have exhaust plumes???
    Seriously I really enjoyed Lost, Star Wars Force awakens, Fringe was wicked good. I just wish Abrhams had paid a bit more attention to the Trek universe.

I need more details to properly parse your criticism:

What details were hidden by lens flares? Why do those cliches upset you more than other cliches that are standard in the Star Trek body of work? Into Darkness was split into two retcons. The one that gets the most criticism is the latter half which was their take on Wrath of Khan. But everyone seems to skip over the first half of the film which is essentially a retcon of Space Seed. How do you feel about the "rewrite" of Space Seed as it were? Why does Abrams' inconsistency with ship sizing bug you more than the ship size inconsistencies found in the rest of the movies and shows? What kind of substance do you feel was lacking specifically? And if Warp Drives having exhaust plumes bug you, how do you deal with Star Trek Online having that on a few of its ships as well as blue/red impulse effects on every single ship?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    Boo!
    I am not a fan of JJ-Trek but people are exited about it so I hope it will be something cool and fun.
    Bridger.png
    Yay!
    The current #1 movie at the box office is a sequel to a movie that came out 13 years ago.

People don't want new things. They want rehashes of stuff we've already seen before.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Boo!
    Not really happy about it.
    JJ trek just doesn't feel like trek though i suppose its more like STO with its kill first ask questions later.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    Yay!
    JJ trek just doesn't feel like trek though i suppose its more like STO with its kill first ask questions later.

can you describe one such moment?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    Yay!
    Stay on target? This Thread is about Star Trek not Star Wars. :)

About nerdiness, I purchased the original shooting scripts for the First season and four episodes of the Second from Paramount during the Third season. At the time I also started audio taping the episodes as they aired starting with 'The Ultimate Computer'. Microphone next to TV speaker on a large reel tape recorder. Picked up the First season and episodes I missed from the Second Season when WPIX (NY City) started reruns the year after the show was cancelled

I still have the scripts but, alas, dumped the recordings about 15 years ago.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Boo!
    poll needs choice 25 levels below boo.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Yay!
    valoreah wrote: »
    iconians wrote: »
    People don't want new things. They want rehashes of stuff we've already seen before.​​

Hey I like new stuff :(

Although I do admit I'm still waiting for a Megamind sequel......

Amen to that. Megamind was awesome.

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Yay!
    Why would anybody object to a peice of Star Trek in STAR TREK Online?

Because:

1- They didn't like Lost/Alias/Fringe/Other-Bad-Robot stuff.
    2- This isn't "real" star trek and only "real" star trek counts.
    3- The lens flare jokes haven't run their course.
    4- The focus on action adventure trumps the cerebral stuff Trek was known for. And that rubs folks the wrong way because they got it in their head that Wagon Train to the Stars was never meant to have action in its adventures.

Or a mix of all of those.

I am going with none of the above. My issues with JJ version are this.
    Everything is connected and there is no chance. IE the entire cast came out of the academy at the same time and ended up on the same ship?
    Warp drive is not even pretending to be a speed it is speed of plot. I know it was often speed of plot before but they hid it better.
    Enterprise gets her butt kicked too often with out getting to see her doing the same to someone else. I think this is a disservice to her.

Positives. I do love what they did with Klingons in the second movie. The ridge rings were a wonderful touch.
    And two pieces of dialogue.
    "Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes and saved eight-hundred lives including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better."
    and
    "I have been and always shall be your friend."
    I teared up on both of those lines.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Don't care.
    just a reminder, in addition to torches, pitchforks, and fireworks, we have popcorn, butter sauce, and caramel drizzle for sale
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    Yay!
    just a reminder, in addition to torches, pitchforks, and fireworks, we have popcorn, butter sauce, and caramel drizzle for sale

Iyc06eA.gif​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    Boo!
    khazlol wrote: »

can you describe one such moment?
    come on how many ships people have we killed due to lack of stun or disable there are topics on it in the forums.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    I can't wait
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,445 Arc User
    Don't care.
    I'm just waiting to hear from all those folks who said that they'd quit STO if "JJTrek" ever became involved.

I'm meh about the whole thing. New ships will be cool, I guess - but I might get excited if I can have a Franklin as a T1 ship.

Oh, and you can count me among those who've watched Trek since TOS was still on the air. Anyone claiming that there was any kind of proper continuity of vision in TOS is talking through their hat - warp drive traveled at the speed of plot, interstellar distances were whatever was convenient at the time (one of the reasons they avoided mentioning any actual stars), weapons did the damage required, and very few things carried over from one episode to another. Gene Roddenberry was responsible for the basic concept - but most of the bits people fawn over (the Prime Directive, Klingons, Romulans, the Neutral Zone, Starfleet Headquarters, the United Federation of Planets) were created by Gene L. Coon and/or Dorothy "D.C." Fontana. And the '09 movie, I thought, captured the spirit of TOS quite well, even though the characters were variant.

(My issues with Into Dorkness have been fleshed out well enough already, methinks - suffice to say it's not the poor homages to TWoK that peeved me.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!
    First off what JJ did was in no way a reboot.
    Sure it was. There's been a ton of treatments, ideas and pitches made for DECADES to reboot Star Trek. To tell the tales of YOUNG Kirk and Spock. At the academy. Return Star Trek to its roots with a younger, hipper cast. This goes all the way back to the 1980s.

That's what this is. It's a reboot. It's been called that hundreds of times. JJ Abrams' team just came up with a way to retcon this that is firmly rooted in comic book lore. The multiverse. This is Star Trek of Earth J.

This is the earth where The Justice Society still exists. Not the one where Owlman, Ultraman and Superwoman are evil tyrants of the Crime Syndicate. Otherwise Quinto would have a goatee.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Yay!
    I think they should be kept separate. The reboot of the movie franchise already blew up Romulus as a plot point. You know that'd never have happened under the old franchise. Also, the ships are way bigger in the reboot. (I also don't really count the Narada as a Prime ship even though it technically came from the Prime universe.) Many things that are 'impossible' in the Prime universe are possible in the JJ-verse. I like the JJ-Trek movies just fine, but don't want it polluting, for lack of a better word, the Prime timeline STO is using.

enterprise-comparison-bluray.jpg

Yeah.. It's way too big. That constitution dwarfs the Galaxy Class o_O

Aww, cute, you're one of those people who think Spock is 4 metres tall.

Hint: He's not and the AR Constitution is 350 metres as that's what size the model is built to. All the pritty off-screen scribbles in the world won't change that.​​

I think it's stupid that they want to make the ship that big, but they are pretty insistent it is.

popmech-july2016-03.jpg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Yay!
    valoreah wrote: »
    feiqa wrote: »
    ..."I have been and always shall be your friend."
    I teared up on both of those lines.

I liked that one better the first time. It was much more genuine and heartfelt in the original. The new one is too cliche and seemed added as an afterthought IMO.

I was shaken the first time it was said. In this version it was telling a young man that though he does not know it yet. They are friends. No matter what.
    Of course it helps that it was said by the original Spock but still.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.