What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So JJ-verse Trek is coming to STO

Comments

• Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Yay!
    Star Trek is Star Trek. As long as it is acknowledged as an alternate time line I have no fault with it in and of itself.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Don't care.
    "Don't care" isn't really accurate but it's the closest thing to "mixed opinions."

My personal opinion on JJTrek is that rather than "rebooting" the franchise, they should have just created their own characters, start fresh rather than tying themselves to the expectations of fans of the original series. The only reason they used the old characters was to draw in the old crowd, and then for the most part ended up alienating them (see also: "Not My Trek"). Had they created entirely new characters I don't think there would have been as much backlash, and while the movies would have been a little too focused on flashy effects and high action, it would have been fine on its own. I didn't grow up with TOS but I'm familiar enough with it, so the end result for me was that I watched the first movie and was somewhat disappointed, and as a result I have not watched Into Darkness (I actually watched the first few minutes of it and thought the entire intro ridiculous) and will likely not watch Beyond because I have no attachment for the rebooted characters.

But nothing can be done about that now, JJTrek is canon whether anyone likes it or not. The only thing that held it back from STO was the legal issue of Paramount owning the new movies vs CBS being the original licensor for STO. Apparently that's been overcome, so there's no reason it shouldn't be in STO, the "Kelvin Timeline" is really no different than the Mirror Universe, an alternate reality where things are simply different. And now we get to BE new main characters in that story. All this does is provide the setting and some background characters. So my full opinion on this will be based on what Cryptic does with it.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Don't care.
    I don't care about the timeline. I only want the Vengeance.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Don't care.
    I'll take some JJ Trek Genesis torpedoes.

brb, heading for Risa.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Yay!
    I like both. But I do like TNG era more than some of JJ stuff.

AR Trek is as close as you'll get to AXANAR Trek, so...

6xxogw.jpg

I know you and few others have a huge chip on your shoulders over the AX, but leave me out of your confrontations. This has nothing to do with JJ Trek so......

tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Boo!
    Not a fan of the JJ-verse ... but I'll give it a go ... then 'hate it' ... then go 'meh' ... then go 'okay, not bad'
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    Don't care.
    I like both. But I do like TNG era more than some of JJ stuff.

AR Trek is as close as you'll get to AXANAR Trek, so...
    I know you and few others have a huge chip on your shoulders over the AX, but leave me out of your confrontations. This has nothing to do with JJ Trek so......
    I see the projection screen is working well.
  • Options
    Yay!
    I see the projection screen is working well.

tumblr_mk4oofMMMp1s67vyfo1_250.gif

Stay on topic or not at all.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Boo!
    I think they should be kept separate. The reboot of the movie franchise already blew up Romulus as a plot point. You know that'd never have happened under the old franchise. Also, the ships are way bigger in the reboot. (I also don't really count the Narada as a Prime ship even though it technically came from the Prime universe.) Many things that are impossible in the Prime universe are possible in the JJ-verse. (Mainly for ease of storytelling in a <2hr movie.) I like the JJ-Trek movies just fine, but don't want it polluting, for lack of a better word, the Prime timeline STO is using.

1701compare_zpsghkb3gqt.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Not a fan of the JJ-verse ... but I'll give it a go ... then 'hate it' ... then go 'meh' ... then go 'okay, not bad'

Well s.crew you with a rusty spoon. Then I'll beat you with said spoon until you like it...

AR Trek, not the spoon, though you may like that eventually.

Edit: Bless, apparently s.crew is such a naughty word it was censored to protect the innocent eyes of all gentle souls reading...
    J-Jonah-Jameson-laughing-570x294.jpg​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Yay!
    I think they should be kept separate. The reboot of the movie franchise already blew up Romulus as a plot point. You know that'd never have happened under the old franchise. Also, the ships are way bigger in the reboot. (I also don't really count the Narada as a Prime ship even though it technically came from the Prime universe.) Many things that are 'impossible' in the Prime universe are possible in the JJ-verse. I like the JJ-Trek movies just fine, but don't want it polluting, for lack of a better word, the Prime timeline STO is using.

enterprise-comparison-bluray.jpg

Yeah.. It's way too big. That constitution dwarfs the Galaxy Class o_O

• Options
    Yay!
    I think they should be kept separate. The reboot of the movie franchise already blew up Romulus as a plot point. You know that'd never have happened under the old franchise. Also, the ships are way bigger in the reboot. (I also don't really count the Narada as a Prime ship even though it technically came from the Prime universe.) Many things that are 'impossible' in the Prime universe are possible in the JJ-verse. I like the JJ-Trek movies just fine, but don't want it polluting, for lack of a better word, the Prime timeline STO is using.

Aww, cute, you're one of those people who think Spock is 4 metres tall.

Hint: He's not and the AR Constitution is 350 metres as that's what size the model is built to. All the pritty off-screen scribbles in the world won't change that.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Don't care.
    We need a frikkin drinking game or something for how long it takes someone to bring up the size issue when JJtrek is mentioned...
    way bigger in the reboot.

....thats what she said....

What? You think Uhura hooked up with him this time for no reason?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    artan42 wrote: »

Hint: He's not and the AR Constitution is 350 metres as that's what size the model is built to. All the pritty off-screen scribbles in the world won't change that.​​

No, I am not. What on earth lead you to that conclusion?! And if he was 4 ft. it wouldn't really matter either way. I am not one of those people that take delight in judging others.

• Options
    gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User

Wen McCoy and Kirk swim to the ship in Into The Darkness, you notice is quite small, don't get why people keep thinking is too big, i know the angles and the shots make it look big, but its not..
  • Options
    Yay!

Hint: He's not and the AR Constitution is 350 metres as that's what size the model is built to. All the pritty off-screen scribbles in the world won't change that.

No, I am not. What on earth lead you to that conclusion?! And if he was 4 ft. it wouldn't really matter either way. I am not one of those people that take delight in judging others. Unlike some... Got any more wild judgemental things to say? :*

Spock stands next to the viewscreen. Spock is two metres tall (not feet :wink: ) Ergo the window is two metres tall, that scales the ship to 350 metres not 700m or so as in that picture.

True the AR Constitution is larger than the original and its refit, but only by a few metres. and that's just nacelle length.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    Yay!
    Also...

Clagdi6VAAE2Q7l.jpg​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Yay!

You do realize that the root cause of all technological deviations between the two timelines was scans of a ship TEN KILOMETERS LONG, yes?

Learning how to build bigger ships was pretty much the very first thing that changed.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Boo!
    Nothing like pissing on fans who have supported Trek for 50 years. People who spent hours and hours of time writing NBC and Paramount to save Trek long before JJ was born along with his cult od personality fan base. Seriously JJ is it's own thing and does not belong in the universe of TOS,DS9,TNG,VOY, and ENT.
  • Options
    captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Yay!
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Nothing like pissing on fans who have supported Trek for 50 years. People who spent hours and hours of time writing NBC and Paramount to save Trek long before JJ was born along with his cult od personality fan base. Seriously JJ is it's own thing and does not belong in the universe of TOS,DS9,TNG,VOY, and ENT.

Since STO is non-canon anyway, it technically isn't. ;)
  • Options
    Yay!

Spock stands next to the viewscreen. Spock is two metres tall (not feet :wink: ) Ergo the window is two metres tall, that scales the ship to 350 metres not 700m or so as in that picture.

True the AR Constitution is larger than the original and its refit, but only by a few metres. and that's just nacelle length.​​

My mistake. 6'5", happy. If the image is incorrect scaling that's fine. It's eased any worries I had. Then again Trek has always had problems with size inconsistencies. And that nacelle is ridiculously oversized, the rest I like.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Yay!
    I don't know which makes me happier, getting a couple of gorgeous ship designs I've wanted for in STO years or listening to the gurgling of purist zealots who think that anyone who makes a living off of creating Star Trek gives one good goddamn about peoples' head canon after all the "true fans" have failed to be a workable market for more than a decade.

Thankfully I don't have to choose - I can have both.

And calling it a quantum parallel is even better - because then the new movies and likely the new TV show can IGNORE all the nit-picking BS left over from the Prime Universe's moribund corpse.
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!

But JJ Trek IS TOS. It's a reboot and return to the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones. And now it's being written and pushed forward by Simon Pegg, fanboy darling.

What's your beef exactly? Why not give Pegg-trek a try? The only way fans would be even giddier is if Nate Fillion and Sarah Michelle Gellar joined the team too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Boo!
    Why would anybody object to a peice of Star Trek in STAR TREK Online?

Because:

1- They didn't like Lost/Alias/Fringe/Other-Bad-Robot stuff.
    2- This isn't "real" star trek and only "real" star trek counts.
    3- The lens flare jokes haven't run their course.
    4- The focus on action adventure trumps the cerebral stuff Trek was known for. And that rubs folks the wrong way because they got it in their head that Wagon Train to the Stars was never meant to have action in its adventures.

Or a mix of all of those.

How about none of the above reasons. 1) Using lens flares to hide details 2) Using cliches (daddy died when I was a baby, step dad is uncool, so I drink and brawl) as an excuse for Kirk being a real TRIBBLE. 3 ) real bad rewrite of TWOK and expect it to have the same gut wrench that Nimoy's death scene had. 4) inconsistent size of ships 5) Lots of action but little substence. 6) warp drives have exhaust plumes???
    Seriously I really enjoyed Lost, Star Wars Force awakens, Fringe was wicked good. I just wish Abrhams had paid a bit more attention to the Trek universe.
  • Options
    Yay!

But JJ Trek IS TOS. It's a reboot and return to the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones. And now it's being written and pushed forward by Simon Pegg, fanboy darling.

What's your beef exactly? Why not give Pegg-trek a try? The only way fans would be even giddier is if Nate Fillion and Sarah Michelle Gellar joined the team too.

Oh, Snoggy. Don't, I can't take the fangasm!
  • Options
    Yay!
    nikeix wrote: »

You do realize that the root cause of all technological deviations between the two timelines was scans of a ship TEN KILOMETERS LONG, yes?

Learning how to build bigger ships was pretty much the very first thing that changed.

I doubt they had time to do a detail scan of 24 century ship and reverse engineer it to build bigger ships. But it's a better explanation than I could think of.
  • Options
    Don't care.
    I just wish Abrhams had paid a bit more attention to the Trek universe.

Yeah, like the removable brains, galactic barriers, time warp drive, and trapped divine beings who want a T6 Constitution.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    nikeix wrote: »

I doubt they had time to do a detail scan of 24 century ship and reverse engineer it to build bigger ships. But it's a better explanation than I could think of.

One of the reasonings behind the tech difference was stated by Orci to be scans of the 24th century tech of the Narada by the Kelvin's escaping shuttles which improved Starfleet's tech in the 25 year cap between the Kelvin and the Enterprise.
  • Options
    cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Yay!
    I like all Trek. I grew up on TOS and the TOS movies. I was thrilled when TNG launched (and still watch it on BBC America). I liked DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. All of it had stuff I loved and stuff I didn't care for. Same with the new AR stuff. If it adds more to the game I'm all for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Yay!

True the AR Constitution is larger than the original and its refit, but only by a few metres. and that's just nacelle length.

My mistake. 6'5", happy. If the image is incorrect scaling that's fine. It's eased any worries I had. Then again Trek has always had problems with size inconsistencies. And that nacelle is ridiculously oversized, the rest I like.

Somebody behind the scenes of 09 had a notion that the ship should be the size of the Galaxy. However the CGI model was already built and shows a 350 metre scale. Some scenes were altered in post to make it bigger (well only one, the shuttle bay scene) but overwhelmingly it remains at 350m. By ID (where a whole new model was made) the scale remained at 350m (exposed corridors, space jump, the bridge window etc.) with no effort at all to show this supposed larger size.​​

#TASforSTO