test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So JJ-verse Trek is coming to STO

Comments

• oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Yay!
    nope, I dislike the "Apple" ships, the attempt at patronizing fans, and cramming all the fanservice into two movies.

and NOW a new movie that has pretty much nothing to do with space, or trek....it's just a crappy sci-fi movie with the trek name smashed onto it.

I'm done, after all the ****, I'm done. I white Knighted for Cryptic and STO since the day it launched, I stuck with it through every event, every downtime and more, I stuck with it from every good day, like the time I lucked out and got my JHAS, to the bad, when the game went down the path it did.

now we know why they're going into the past, so they can pole vault us into the alternate universe, piggy back on the movies, and never look back as they shred all the things that made Star Trek what it was.

To be honest, it's been (from my experience) the "Prime Universe" cultists who have been the patronizers and insufferable.

Hell, one just has to see the amount of snide remarks, crappy memes, and outright vitriol slung around, on these very boards up until now, to get a taste of that.

• commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Yay!
    nope, I dislike the "Apple" ships, the attempt at patronizing fans, and cramming all the fanservice into two movies.

and NOW a new movie that has pretty much nothing to do with space, or trek....it's just a crappy sci-fi movie with the trek name smashed onto it.

Cause you've seen it already? Tell me how it ends.
    I'm done, after all the ****, I'm done. I white Knighted for Cryptic and STO since the day it launched, I stuck with it through every event, every downtime and more, I stuck with it from every good day, like the time I lucked out and got my JHAS, to the bad, when the game went down the path it did.

What path? And what day was that?
    now we know why they're going into the past, so they can pole vault us into the alternate universe, piggy back on the movies, and never look back as they shred all the things that made Star Trek what it was.

Clearly, it was a nefarious plot to damage the Trek name and turn STO into a full time Alternate Universe game, as opposed to the more likely scenario (that it's a brief jaunt and a cautionary tale against unregulated time travel).

Overall, that was a really irrational response. I think a break might be what you need, you're clearly stressing about this more than you should.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    Yay!

But what's JJ Abrams and Paramount call it?

;)

Money.

Hahahahaha! :D
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    Yay!
    I have no problem with JJtrek in STO.
    Its just an alternate universe (like the mirror universe, or fluidic space). And we still belong to the main one, doesn't alter that one at all.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yay!
    I'm all for it.

I think JJ's reboot has been good for the franchise and I think it was done in a way that was respectful to decades of lore. The story doesn't 'erase' anything, everything is intact and he can go forward without having to fit into constraints of already established chain of events.

I very much enjoyed both 'Star Trek' and 'Into Darkness,' I'm looking forward to Beyond and I'm happy to see the current lore included in STO.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Boo!
    "The story doesn't 'erase' anything,

(Looks at space where Romulus used to be.) :D
    (Looks at space where Vulcan used to be.) :D

Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,445 Arc User
    Don't care.
    (Looks at place where Vulcan still is, in this universe)
    (Looks at place where Romulus still is, in that universe)
    (Wonders what point previous post was trying to make)
    ​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yay!

They're only gone in the Kelvin Timeline. In the Prime Timeline, nothing has changed.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Boo!
    jonsills wrote: »
    (Looks at place where Vulcan still is, in this universe)
    (Looks at place where Romulus still is, in that universe)
    (Wonders what point previous post was trying to make)
    ​​

A point on an internet forum? What a novel concept! I shall have to try it sometime yesterday!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Don't care.

can I haz ur stuffs?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Yay!
    scarling wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wanna fly them all ! Especially the klingon bird of prey !

I can't help it... that ship just looks like a T'urd with wings...

I can't figure out if you're a senior citizen or a 5 year old child. Your minion obsession is baffling.

Don't look too long into that abyss. Also that BoP art is rocking and I want one. Dude has no taste in spacecraft.

I didn't say I don't like it, it just has that image about it.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Yay!
    scarling wrote: »
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wanna fly them all ! Especially the klingon bird of prey !

I can't help it... that ship just looks like a T'urd with wings...

Pixomondo+Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+Klingon+Bird+of+Prey.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I can't figure out if you're a senior citizen or a 5 year old child. Your minion obsession is baffling.

I'm a mid-50's, 15 year old.

b4ce1f6d72255a2067a623d491df0707.jpg
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    Yay!

Umm Vulcan is still in the Prime Timeline.....
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    Yay!

71136c4467eaaec89da7417c6dcc651d3776255a_r.jpg
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I believe the whole Prime Universe vs. JJ Universe conflict comes from which Star Trek people like. The JJ Universe matches the style of TOS over TNG. New Kirk sleeps with at least one new woman each movie and has a bunch of action while TNG tries to not use Gunboat Diplomacy to resolve the problem of the week due to the 24th Century Federation believing they are more civilized. After all, action and sex sell much better than shows that make you think. Of course, the JJ Universe seems to be missing the exploration of today's political and cultural problems that TOS and TNG are known for, but that could be due to the limitations of storytelling in movies compared to TV series. Can't have a Star Trek movie strictly based around racism, communism vs. democracy, or any of the other political or cultural problems that Star Trek episodes have gone over and expect to make a ton of money.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    Don't care.
    I wish I'd thought my vote through more before I made it.

I hate the first two movies with a burning passion and I cannot wait to play this content.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yay!
    starkaos wrote: »
    I believe the whole Prime Universe vs. JJ Universe conflict comes from which Star Trek people like. The JJ Universe matches the style of TOS over TNG. New Kirk sleeps with at least one new woman each movie and has a bunch of action while TNG tries to not use Gunboat Diplomacy to resolve the problem of the week due to the 24th Century Federation believing they are more civilized. After all, action and sex sell much better than shows that make you think. Of course, the JJ Universe seems to be missing the exploration of today's political and cultural problems that TOS and TNG are known for, but that could be due to the limitations of storytelling in movies compared to TV series. Can't have a Star Trek movie strictly based around racism, communism vs. democracy, or any of the other political or cultural problems that Star Trek episodes have gone over and expect to make a ton of money.
    I think there are some more callbacks to how TOS was, but the characterization doesn't quite match. Which is not surprising - Kirk's backstory is very different in the Kelvin timeline than in the Prime.

Prime Kirk was a strong authority figure that considered himself a soldier - and liked the ladies. And he's loyal to his ship and crew.
    I think Kelvin Kirk has been more into rebelling authority and isn't really good yet at acting as authority figure. I think he doesn't quite identify himself as soldier for that reason, and he's still trying to figure out who he is. But he likes the ladies, too - and he has shown loyality to his crew as well. It will be interesting to see how - if at all - he developed in the new movie.

I think the differences between the Kirks may actually be more important than lens flare or other habitable planets near Vulcan close enough to see it implode from red matter. The first problem of course it's that it's basically a reboot and that feels always as if it's invalidating what has come before (no matter of arguing and rational reasoning will shake off that feeling), but people don't see what they expect from the Prime Kirk in Kelvin Kirk.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • g00dbarg00dbar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2016
  • g00dbarg00dbar Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Also...

Clagdi6VAAE2Q7l.jpg​​
    wow, where did you get that image?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yay!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Not really bothered eitherway. I'll admit from the onset, I hate some of the JJ-Trek starships - I loathe the design philosophy that they follow (namely evil person has to fly around in some massive, black, uber ship flying fortress with silly pointy bits everywhere.
    Though that trend started earlier, with the Scimitar, I think.

Heck, one could argue the Borg. That they are cubic might make sense, but the "greeble" you see on them... they might not be pointy, but do they serve a purpose?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Yay!
    The existence of the Kelvin timeline has been part of STO since its onset - the game universe is pretty much defined by the destruction of Romulus and we get to visit where the Narada was built. So, anyone complaining about its inclusion as a parallel universe at this stage has frankly had their head stuck in the sand.

And, personally, I'd rather see movie-version Fed and Klingon ships in orbit than most of the random alien lockbox stuff.
  • dogmaticusdogmaticus Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    We get new ships and interiors, that are in the spirit of TOS, but retold in a modern way. We get the blingons :smiley::wink: with the helmets and new uniforms. I like that. I like all of that!

Kelvin Timeline is a parallel universe that is a part of the cannon (just like prime timeline or the Mirror Universe). It will be great to see it tied into the timeline we know from the TV series, and also STO.

I was super hyped for the AoY before, and now I'm even more excited! Can't wait for July to come! :)
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Don't care.
    With this new lighting system being added it is the perfect time to add more lens flares!
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Boo!

They're only gone in the Kelvin Timeline. In the Prime Timeline, nothing has changed.

Romulus is pretty darn gone in the prime timeline. That's not what I have a problem with either.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Boo!
    Much as I dislike the Kelvin timeline, the fact that they are identifying and isolating it as a separate timeline largely removes my objections to it.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    Yay!
    gradii wrote: »

Romulus is pretty darn gone in the prime timeline. That's not what I have a problem with either.

Romulus still exists in the Kelvin Timeline. But I mean what's the big deal? Alderaan's been gone for ages in Star Wars and those fans didn't bat an eyelash when yet another planet was destroyed in Force Awakens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Don't care.
    gradii wrote: »

Romulus still exists in the Kelvin Timeline. But I mean what's the big deal? Alderaan's been gone for ages in Star Wars and those fans didn't bat an eyelash when yet another planet was destroyed in Force Awakens.

That was a long time ago a galaxy far FAR away of coarse no one cared:hushed:
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Boo!
    My whole beef with JJverse (and JJ Himself) is that it seems that he really just phones in the efforts ( to the point where phoned in episodes of the TV series look award winning) and throws in distractions to cover up that half of the script is really previous movies script, just jumbled together, and altered enough to appear that it almost could be a new, coherent peice of work, that goes towards both Star Trek, and Star Wars.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Yay!
    jade1280 wrote: »
    With this new lighting system being added it is the perfect time to add more lens flares!

You know... I'd expect a 4 year-old to repeat "lens flare" over and over like they'd just discovered a new word... but a four year-old watching the first movie would be eleven now, and they'd have GOTTEN OVER IT.

Seriously, do the haters re-watch the movie twice a year just to keep their bile fresh?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Yay!
    One thing someone pointed out to me a few days ago is that we've actually had a piece of Nu-trek in the game all along.... look at the transporter effect used when Fed engineers summon pets...... That's the effect used in the Kelvin Timeline.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg