test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

shud JJships be in game store or luck box?

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    game store
    The Jellyfish and Nerada are covered in Cryptics licence with CBS due to Countdown. The Kelvin (along with the Mayflower, Armstrong, and Newton) are solely Paramount owned despite being PR ships. The same applies to the AR D7 and the D4. Even though they aren't AR ships they require a deal with Paramount to use, just as the AR Constitution and the Dreadnought would.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    luck box
    What we say here really won't change anything. The ships of the JJ-verse are without a doubt lock box ships simply because of how lock boxes work. Lock Boxes exist to allow for ships that CBS and Cryptic don't want everyone in the game running around with because they either break immersion or they're supposed to be exceedingly rare. The JJ-verse ships fit that criteria.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    luck box
    Well, if it was me, no ship should go into lockboxes or promos, because I don't like them. But well, apparently it works well for STO's business model, and so I guess I'll have to accept it.

By Cryptic's reasoning for the RNG ship acquisition - it probably should be in a lockbox/promo thingy, and not be a C-Store ship. It's from an alternate reality.

And I think if Cryptic already had the concept of lockboxes then, the Galaxy-X might have been a lockbox/promo thing as well since it is also only an alternate reality/future thing - a future clearly didn't come to pass as evidenced in Generations.

Well, actually, it was a Promo thing. most here might not remember, but it was originally only available to people that invited at least 5 people into the game that end up buying a subscription (pre F2). But people rebelled, complained and went against the spirit of the idea (and possibly the EULA?) by buying the subscriptions for themselves via fake accounts (a costly way, certainly) and eventually it became a C-Store thing.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    game store
    artan42 wrote: »
    The Jellyfish and Nerada are covered in Cryptics licence with CBS due to Countdown.

Well I would definitely like you to cite your source for that. Setting aside the fact that Countdown was creatively put together by the exact same Abrams team that helped put together the plot for the film, the IDW comic license seems to cover both the movies and the films. With no real distinction like that being made. So the comics themselves do not seem to be held to any type of issue that everyone for years has claimed this game is held to.

Yet another thing I've never understood about this long standing "debate."

So my checklist looks like:

1- Even if it's Prime Universe or Earth-2, it's still a DC comi ... er I mean it's still a JJ Abrams Star Trek plot device, so the hatred for Abrams-trek should apply equally to things like the Kelvin and the Jellyfish, but apparently it doesn't on these forums.

2- Cryptic's never once revealed any details about restrictions involving their license. But people have certainly assumed there were for ages and ages. So much so that now people are convinced, even with no official commentary, that CBS and Paramount somehow have some certain amount of exclusivity regarding what Trek is what, even though the comics and things like the trading cards, don't seem to follow suit with their own licensing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    game store
    The Jellyfish and Nerada are covered in Cryptics licence with CBS due to Countdown.

Well I would definitely like you to cite your source for that. Setting aside the fact that Countdown was creatively put together by the exact same Abrams team that helped put together the plot for the film, the IDW comic license seems to cover both the movies and the films. With no real distinction like that being made. So the comics themselves do not seem to be held to any type of issue that everyone for years has claimed this game is held to.

Yet another thing I've never understood about this long standing "debate."

So my checklist looks like:

1- Even if it's Prime Universe or Earth-2, it's still a DC comi ... er I mean it's still a JJ Abrams Star Trek plot device, so the hatred for Abrams-trek should apply equally to things like the Kelvin and the Jellyfish, but apparently it doesn't on these forums.

2- Cryptic's never once revealed any details about restrictions involving their license. But people have certainly assumed there were for ages and ages. So much so that now people are convinced, even with no official commentary, that CBS and Paramount somehow have some certain amount of exclusivity regarding what Trek is what, even though the comics and things like the trading cards, don't seem to follow suit with their own licensing.

It was stated as the reason why we have the Red Matter Capacitor and Nero's face tattoos. Countdown was a joint enterprise between CBS and Paramount with IDW but Cryptic only has a deal with CBS (at the moment), but as Countdown is jointly owned and was a promotion for both CBS and Paramount Cryptic was able to join in the cross promotion for 09.

So for your points it doesn't matter if it's AR or PR, if it appears in the AR films then it's off limits unless it was in Countdown. If it appears in any of the older Paramount films it's permissible (hence the Scimitar and Sovereign).

Cryptic have revealed a few things, namely that their license covers CBS' series (but maybe not all of TAS) and all of Paramount's films up to but excluding 09. It also covers CBS owned comics and books but not elements of them owned by other people (Luna, Vesta, NX Refit etc.) and obviously Countdown.
    This is derived mainly from the Foundery terms and conditions and bits and pieces said by devs whenever a T6 Vesta thread pops up.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    game store
    The c-store, obviously. ENT ships are in there, TOS ships are in there, TNG ships are in there and Cryptics own designs are in there. Why should AU ships be in a lock box? The Galaxy-Refit from AGT isn't in a lockbox, and that doesn't share a continuity with STOs timeline as well (officially. My headcanon puts STO in a reality very close to AGT, basically the same one with minor changes (look at the oddyssey and alternate reality combadges).

Putting them in a lockbox would make no sense other than knowingly ripping off neo-Trek fans.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    i understand people dont like jj trek, but the new CGI versions of the classic ships look a million times better than the old plastic toys :P
    game store
    khazlol wrote: »
    i understand people dont like jj trek, but the new CGI versions of the classic ships look a million times better than the old plastic toys :P

Since they look nothing alike this is hard to say. The newmodels have of course more detail and state of the art CGI, but they do not resemble the classic ships either which's aesthetic I prefer for example.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Nether. Just burn them.

Agreed.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    game store
    Shud the OP learn how to frickin spael?

A. Yesh
    B. Nuh-uh
    game store
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Shud the OP learn how to frickin spael?

A. Yesh
    B. Nuh-uh

C. Bananaa​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • khazlolkhazlol Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

Since they look nothing alike this is hard to say. The newmodels have of course more detail and state of the art CGI, but they do not resemble the classic ships either which's aesthetic I prefer for example.​​

and thats fine. but the torches and pitchforks people bring out when JJ is mentioned is getting silly :P
    game store
    (...)
    and thats fine. but the torches and pitchforks people bring out when JJ is mentioned is getting silly :P

Of course that's silly, but people are just passionate and disappointed things didn't go "their" way, myself included. But I don't have to rant about it, even though technically the AU somehow sharing a common history with the PU doesn't make sense. But that's the Star Trek we get, probably also in the new show. I simply happen to not like it any more, then pig-29.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    luck box
    The c-store, obviously. ENT ships are in there, TOS ships are in there, TNG ships are in there and Cryptics own designs are in there. Why should AU ships be in a lock box? The Galaxy-Refit from AGT isn't in a lockbox, and that doesn't share a continuity with STOs timeline as well (officially. My headcanon puts STO in a reality very close to AGT, basically the same one with minor changes (look at the oddyssey and alternate reality combadges).

Putting them in a lockbox would make no sense other than knowingly ripping off neo-Trek fans.​​

The Galaxy-X might have ended up in a lockbox, if Cryptic had already invented it back then.

Remember, it was already a special promo item back then. (See my previous post) Now it's grandfathered in, basically.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    luck box
    I'm just grateful Cryptic won't give two scoops of targ poo about ANYTHING said in this thread :wink:.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    game store
    So heres the thing, if these were to happen, using cryptics own logic they should be in the cstore for the following reason: they are federation ships. Granted from a slightly altered timeline, they are still faction specific federation (or kdf, or romulan) ships. Theyve said as much in the past that faction ships will not be in lockboxes. Heres where it gets dicey as it now becomes 100% perspective on whether or not they consider the federation in the new films as "the federation" or write it off as alien. Either way the possibility of the jj connie being t6 is still a little rediculous, seeing as it is still hundreds of years old and making it t6 would introduce the assumption that the federation in the jjverse never redesigned anything.

Edit.yeah shadowfang i meant to say that heh.. besides the temporal ships* some restrictions apply ymmv etc etc :)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Theyve said as much in the past that faction ships will not be in lockboxes.

*cough*wellskorathr'mor*cough*​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    game store
    It was stated as the reason why we have the Red Matter Capacitor and Nero's face tattoos. Countdown was a joint enterprise between CBS and Paramount with IDW but Cryptic only has a deal with CBS (at the moment), but as Countdown is jointly owned and was a promotion for both CBS and Paramount Cryptic was able to join in the cross promotion for 09.

When was this stated? By whom?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arthas242arthas242 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    game store
    Kelvin has to be C-store

want to know why?

DATAMINING POINTS IT TO BE A ROMULAN CARRIER......

know how many romulans would be pissed if their first carrier anyone could fly?
    game store
    Lockbox doesn't mean anyone can fly it. Faction-specific lockboxes are nothing new, if you open it you get the ship appropriate for the faction your character is.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    arthas242 wrote: »
    Kelvin has to be C-store

want to know why?

DATAMINING POINTS IT TO BE A ROMULAN CARRIER......

know how many romulans would be pissed if their first carrier anyone could fly?

you forget this is a cryptic and they don't want you here.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    game store
    The Kelvin and the Franklin predate the temporal incursion by Nero, so they're meant to be Prime Universe ships.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • tessaravejgantessaravejgan Member Posts: 276
    game store
    I would love to see these AU ships in the store but *sigh* I think a box is more likely.
    game store
    amosov78 wrote: »
    The Kelvin and the Franklin predate the temporal incursion by Nero, so they're meant to be Prime Universe ships.

Meant to, but can't be as explained here. There's a bit of controversy around when exactly the universes developed differently. Having the Narada incident be the divergent point however makes actually no sense based on the facts - the "Kelvin timeline" as STO calls is has to be entirely different quantum reality with a uniqe past, present and, logically, future.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    game store

When was this stated? By whom?

I have no idea. You do realise that any post ever made from over a year ago is now by Archived Post right? Cryptic's licence has been explained in the terms I've mentioned, but if you want to find the specifics that's on you.​​

#TASforSTO

edited June 2016
    game store

Meant to, but can't be as explained here. There's a bit of controversy around when exactly the universes developed differently. Having the Narada incident be the divergent point however makes actually no sense based on the facts - the "Kelvin timeline" as STO calls is has to be entirely different quantum reality with a uniqe past, present and, logically, future.​​

While all true, STO's own chart explaining the divergent timelines had the universe branch off into two separate realities once the Narada traveled back in time. Up to that point Cryptic suggests that both the prime and alternate realities shared the exact same past up to 2233.04:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/sto.gamepedia.com/2/29/Sto_timeline_setting.png

From an in-game perspective it doesn't really have to make much sense, since STO is a hodge-podge of alternate ideas anyway.
    game store
    While all true, STO's own chart explaining the divergent timelines had the universe branch off into two separate realities once the Narada traveled back in time. Up to that point Cryptic suggests that both the prime and alternate realities shared the exact same past up to 2233.04:

https://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/sto.gamepedia.com/2/29/Sto_timeline_setting.png

From an in-game perspective it doesn't really have to make much sense, since STO is a hodge-podge of alternate ideas anyway.

This is also true, unfortunately. STO probably uses the official explanation which is also given in 09, but that just doesn't make sense pig-2.gif but as you said, STO doesn't require rhyme or reason, ultimately.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    luck box

My headcanon is that Enterprise was a sort of divergence point. It didn't exist in Star Trek until Picard mucked with the timeline to stop the Borg in First Contact. Then Enterprise sprang into existence. The Prime Universe followed a similar track due to temporal intertia in spite of the changes introduced by Enterprise. The Alternate Reality that is the JJ-verse followed a slightly different path that was changed even more radically by the arrival of the Narada and the destruction of the Kelvin.
    edited June 2016
    game store
    captsol wrote: »

My headcanon is that Enterprise was a sort of divergence point. It didn't exist in Star Trek until Picard mucked with the timeline to stop the Borg in First Contact. Then Enterprise sprang into existence. The Prime Universe followed a similar track due to temporal intertia in spite of the changes introduced by Enterprise. The Alternate Reality that is the JJ-verse followed a slightly different path that was changed even more radically by the arrival of the Narada and the destruction of the Kelvin.

Yeah I had a similar headcanon too, with the reason why no one batted an eyelid at the USS Dauntless NX-01-A on "Voyager" was because the original NX-01 was named Dauntless. The change occurred because Zefram Cochrane saw and knew the name Enterprise in "First Contact", so he somehow got the NX-01 named Enterprise instead, further altering the timeline.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    luck box
    Cryptic have revealed a few things, namely that their license covers CBS' series (but maybe not all of TAS) and all of Paramount's films up to but excluding 09. It also covers CBS owned comics and books but not elements of them owned by other people (Luna, Vesta, NX Refit etc.) and obviously Countdown.
    This is derived mainly from the Foundery terms and conditions and bits and pieces said by devs whenever a T6 Vesta thread pops up.​​
    Assuming this is true.... it's years old and apparently it has changed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg