test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expansion Content in plain numbers

claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
Just putting this out there cause I want to. And it doesn't seem like anyone else has.

So looking at how this has been announced as a full expansion, I've been looking(and I know I am not the only one) at just how much overall content is available. Not just missions alone, but also ships, races, costumes... and whats available so far is a bit underwhelming.
Since the last expansion(the Delta expansion) didn't have a new player faction, its a bit hard to compare it with that one, so gonna use the Romulan Expansion as an example.

Please note the TOS numbers are subject to change as they are still adding stuff to the game. But at the current time these are the numbers.

Unique Faction Story Arcs and Episodes
  • Romulan faction had: 4 Arcs with 25 Episodes
  • TOS faction got: 1 Arc with 5 Episodes

New Story Arcs shared with other factions
  • Romulan: 1 Arc with 6 Episodes (not counting remade episodes)
  • TOS: 2 Arcs with 5 Episodes
  • Delta: 3 Arcs with 30 Missions (techically 1 Arc with 18 episodes, rest was added later)

Leaving a total number of 31 episodes from the Romulan expansion. 30 missions in the Delta expansion. And only 10 to the AoY Expansion.

And with the game coming out July 6th, leaves only 3 weekly updates to add more content, with the current trend of adding 1 mission a week to the Shared Story Arc.
Which would put the Shared Arc at 5 missions in total. And total amount of Missions added in the expansion at 10.
Meaning there is only about a third amount of missions available.
I hope I am wrong and they will be adding a lot more.

Free Faction Ships
  • Romulan: 8-9* (*one ship was added a bit later)
  • TOS: 1

Payed Ships from Pack
  • Romulan: 10
  • TOS: 12
  • Delta: 9

Unique New Free Costumes
  • Romulan: TONS! Too many individual parts to give a number.
  • TOS: None. The few free costume parts were already ingame as a payed option. (New badges was however added)

Overall the only thing the TOS faction offers is 2 more ships in a payed pack ships. But 3 of those ships in the pack are shared with the other factions, so not even there does the TOS faction have more stuff thats unique to themself.

Anyway, please take this post in a civil manner. And post/share your thoughts.

EDIT: Added a few numbers for Delta expansion things and updated existing numbers.
EDIT EDIT: Added info from July 6 patch note.
"Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
Post edited by claudiusdk on

Comments

• crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    Please note the TOS numbers are subject to change as they are still adding stuff to the game.

I'm glad you mentioned that. Almost nothing I've been working for the past few months is mentioned in this post, so I think it's fair to say that it's too early to judge this expansion.

• > @crypticspartan#0627 said:
    > claudiusdk wrote: »
    >
    > Please note the TOS numbers are subject to change as they are still adding stuff to the game.
    >
    > I'm glad you mentioned that. Almost nothing I've been working for the past few months is mentioned in this post, so I think it's fair to say that it's too early to judge this expansion.

yeah, you got a couple more weeks to use that excuse. but come july 6th everybody will be able to count for themselves how many missions are in AOY vs how many were in LOR, and if it is significantly less then its time to start calling out the PR people for their BS promoting this as 'full expansion' and 'at least as much of a faction as romulans'.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    > @crypticspartan#0627 said:
    >
    > Please note the TOS numbers are subject to change as they are still adding stuff to the game.
    >
    > I'm glad you mentioned that. Almost nothing I've been working for the past few months is mentioned in this post, so I think it's fair to say that it's too early to judge this expansion.

yeah, you got a couple more weeks to use that excuse. but come july 6th everybody will be able to count for themselves how many missions are in AOY vs how many were in LOR, and if it is significantly less then its time to start calling out the PR people for their BS promoting this as 'full expansion' and 'at least as much of a faction as romulans'.

Ummm...

The "PR People" haven't called this a "Full Expansion"...
    Mr. Gecko is the one who has said that the TOS Expansion is "...at least as much...", as the LoR expansion.

With the caveat that They spent a bit of time debating about whether or not They SHOULD, call this an Expansion.

He's the one that went 'Full Monty' in his interview, also saying that the PR Guys were leaning with NOT calling it an Expansion.

So come on down off that White Horse of yours there Dudley.

Cause you just had a Dev, WHO BY THE WAY, IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON THE TOS EXPANSION, just about tell you outright, that there is much more 'stuffs' coming.

SMH
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    daveyny wrote: »
    You might wanna click the " full expansion" link in my first post. As I did link to it incase someone would say they never called it a full expansion.
    or click it here as its more obvious its a link http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/PAB_sto/news/detail/9937943-star-trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-announcement

First line: "The 50th anniversary of Star Trek is here, and I couldn’t be more excited to announce our contribution to the celebration: Agents of Yesterday, the third full expansion to Star Trek Online!"

They also call it a full expansion in on this page http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/PAB_sto/news/detail/9950863-star-trek-online:-agents-of-yesterday-packs

Both offical announcements on the news page, and not some random off-comment on the forums or 3rd party interview. :smiley:
    edited June 2016
    Please take note that both of those write-ups were written by Mr. S. Ricossa, the Executive Producer..., NOT the PR Department.

Obviously he and Gecko are in agreement as to what They consider to be a "Full Expansion" and over ruled what the PR Dept. felt it should be called.

But yet again...
    Just FOUR POSTS UP, you have a Cryptic Dev (who is actually working on the upcoming material) telling us that there is more to come.

And honestly, what the hell difference does it really make, as long as They are still going to be adding more stuff to the game, even after this new expansion hits the HOLODECK.

Goodness, I'm one of the most outspoken players around here that has been begging for more Classic Trek to be added to the game for the last six years and ya don't see me spouting off about how horrible it's going to be if it isn't equal to or more than the LoR expansion.

Get over it peoples, it's just a game and it's not going to suddenly end once this expansion goes live.

<Really SMH>
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Well, my first post isn't complaining about the content. Just a list of it.
    I tried to keep my post as neutral as possible to both be respectful to devs who say that much more content is being added, and to players that are annoyed about the amount of content when they were given the impression there would be much more. As to not take any sides. (Which I still haven't.)

I apologize for any confusion and misunderstanding. And thank you for your thoughts. :3
    edited June 2016
    Well, my first post isn't complaining about the content. Just a list of it.
    I tried to keep my post as neutral as possible to both be respectful to devs who say that much more content is being added, and to players that are annoyed about the amount of content when they were given the impression there would be much more. As to not take any sides. (Which I still haven't.)

I apologize for any confusion and misunderstanding. And thank you for your thoughts. :3

And my mini-rant wasn't specifically directed at you, even though it was your post I quoted.

Those folks who are "annoyed", kinda-sorta have jumped the gun on the "Bash The Dev's. Wagon" and need to step back and have just a bit of patience.

It's probably true that what we eventually get will be a bit minimal in nature due to the fact that there's only just so much of TOS to work with.
    But jebus-creebus, lets at least wait and Actually SEE ALL of what is coming before we buy up all of @Kodachikuno's Pitchforks, Torches and Popcorn!

BTW: @kodachikuno, I expect a very large discount for my purchases from you, for the free advertising here in this and other posts of mine.

B)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    hmmm should I quote the rules of aquisition or just give him a 5% discount .....
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    nah...4.7% discount​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    218 rule of aquisition
    Always know what you're buying.
    Qapla'
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    but we already know what we're buying - pitchforks, torches and popcorn!

or at least, what other people are buying; i know better than to buy from anyone quoting the rules of acquisition​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Missions can be added, what each faction needs is a full on home, give TOS characters their own ESD and an excuse to hang out in their natural time line. If other parts of the Trek fandom are being considered for factions, now would be a great time to talk about it.
  • rogue6800rogue6800 Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I wouldn't rule them out releasing lot of missions on launch. For DR they didn't let any testing of the later missions to prevent spoilers (if memory serves).
    #203...
    "New customers are like razor-toothed Gree Worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back."

db6d464fcee21800440b5c90ea0fc446.jpg
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    It's always good to know about new customers before they walk in your door. o:)
    Qapla'
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    >
    >

Ummm...

Mr. Gecko is the one who has said that the TOS Expansion is "...at least as much...", as the LoR expansion.

With the caveat that They spent a bit of time debating about whether or not They SHOULD, call this an Expansion.

He's the one that went 'Full Monty' in his interview, also saying that the PR Guys were leaning with NOT calling it an Expansion.

Cause you just had a Dev, WHO BY THE WAY, IS ACTUALLY WORKING ON THE TOS EXPANSION, just about tell you outright, that there is much more 'stuffs' coming.

SMH
    B)

Wait, when did Geko say that? He said that the PR people were hesitant to call the TOS a faction, I didn't see one where he said anything about it not being a full expansion.
  • captsolcaptsol Member Posts: 921 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    jaturnley wrote: »
    >
    >

Ummm...

SMH
    B)

Wait, when did Geko say that? He said that the PR people were hesitant to call the TOS a faction, I didn't see one where he said anything about it not being a full expansion.

I think the poster is extrapolating that because of the PR people being hesitant and all that it isn't a full expansion. Gecko's always said it was from everything I've seen.
    edited June 2016
    I kinda also want links to someone saying this isn't a full expansion.
    Bit annoying that it is announced as full expansion publicly and officially. And then we have to search for a tiny post that says it really isn't one.
    Atleast they could make it publicly known that its a mini-expansion if that really is the case.

Random Forum, Twitter, webradio/podcast, and facebook posts... aren't exactly the main place to officially announce things on. I mean, if this is the case, then I am still waiting for the Merian Class, those ENT MACO uniforms, and the race specific combadges that was hinted at a long time ago on those other places.
    They were never officially announced, just hinted at by the cryptic crew that they were worked on...and then they got shared everywhere (and then people got upset when they weren't added)

Geez I really miss the times when we had more communication with the people behind the game, back when they shared these things.
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I am pretty sure that when it comes out the other temporal missions will be a part of this expansion, so you will need to add the last FE's featuring the Nak'hul and also Temporal Ambassador in order to up the mission count in this expansion. Not looking good that they are reusing existing content to supposedly turn into an expansion though and worse still in the fact that it is encouraging more people to the Federation side making it less likely that anybody would try the other factions.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited June 2016
    dirlettia wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that when it comes out the other temporal missions will be a part of this expansion, so you will need to add the last FE's featuring the Nak'hul and also Temporal Ambassador in order to up the mission count in this expansion. Not looking good that they are reusing existing content to supposedly turn into an expansion though and worse still in the fact that it is encouraging more people to the Federation side making it less likely that anybody would try the other factions.
    Actually for the romulan expansion numbers, I on purpose didn't add missions that was already ingame that was reworked to the romulan faction story, since it kinda isn't new content, just altered content.
    Else they would have had another shared story arc with other factions on thier side.
    But I could add numbers for reworked expansion content when I get them for the TOS expansion.
    Post edited by claudiusdk on
    edited June 2016
    I kinda also want links to someone saying this isn't a full expansion.
    Bit annoying that it is announced as full expansion publicly and officially. And then we have to search for a tiny post that says it really isn't one.
    Atleast they could make it publicly known that its a mini-expansion if that really is the case.

Random Forum, Twitter, webradio/podcast, and facebook posts... aren't exactly the main place to officially announce things on. I mean, if this is the case, then I am still waiting for the Merian Class, those ENT MACO uniforms, and the race specific combadges that was hinted at a long time ago on those other places.
    They were never officially announced, just hinted at by the cryptic crew that they were worked on...and then they got shared everywhere (and then people got upset when they weren't added)

Geez I really miss the times when we had more communication with the people behind the game, back when they shared these things.

It's actually posts exactly like this one that keep the devs from communicating. Literally anything they say, even a post from years ago about something as minor as combadges, will come back over and over, long after that work was abandoned for whatever reason they needed to do so. Multiple devs have said as much on many occasions in interviews when asked questions about things they can't talk about.

Look at the TRIBBLE that's been generated by one sentence that Geko said in an interview. The entire basis of this thread is because he said something that the marketing people were not willing to talk about, and now we have yet another "the best expansion ever" shitstorm because he couldn't keep his mouth shut like they wanted him to.
  • freightstopperfreightstopper Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    The probable reason the Dev's were told not to call AoY an expansion is because we would almost immediately start comparing it to LoR.
    Any difference in content between them will be argued over and you could say it already is being argued over.

Not showing everything when launching new things is all well and good for items but it generally goes one of two ways for software, okish (some issues, mostly expected or fixed quickly) or they go (watch-me-throw-this-snowball-it'll-be-funny, oh god I just dropped an avalanche onto three towns and six ski resorts) horribly.

Mostly it's because the held back stuff doesn't get the same level of testing, because they don't want spoilers or whatever the reasons are, it still means that there will be bugs or issues encountered that could have been (or should have been) found and fixed before release.

Personally, I see this, ToS arc if you will, being introduced as an alternate, (possibly better, more fun), federation tutorial done for four of the federation races you can choose from.

That's it.

As for the rest of the missions everyone can do? Another story arc to play through, probably with some nice new toys to use on our ships or characters (or throw at the bridge officers in your away team).
    edited June 2016
    jaturnley wrote: »
    It's actually posts exactly like this one that keep the devs from communicating.
    I was only making an example of things the devs had unofficiallly shown in the past, that they were working on, and people got upset about them not getting added. And how we can't take anything that hasn't actually been announced as true.
    But okay. :neutral:
    I will assume you didn't mean my post exactly but points I was making in it.

---

Anyway the point still stands, about that they have announced this as a Full Expansion on the front page! And they haven't taken it back, or corrected that, in any official manner.
    A forum post, on page 9 in a random guys topic(which no one ever seems to be able to find and link to when they say its been said), can hardly be called an official announcement.
    (And incase someone now suddenly wants the links again to where its called a "Full Expansion"... link and link, very first line in both.)

But this thread isn't about if it is a full expansion or not.
    This thread is surpose to be about comparing basic numbers between this expansion and the previous one that would match it the most.

So going back on topic. If new things are announced or shown on test.
    Or if people got numbers they want added, they are free to list them.
    And I will continue to update this thread with each new infomation.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    While I'm always down for more missions, I'm already pretty pleased look at the new instances/ques, the new Rep-track, and the new Specialization. If the rumors of an AR-based lockbox prove true, I cheerfully declare this July the best release ever for STO and that at least this player loves it.

(Or it could just be that having a Romulan as a main I don't give steaming plate of gahk how many TOS-only missions there are for the new TOS-Fed characters. I'll make a TOS captain, and I'll play them, but that's not where my heart lies.)
    Well yeah, ofcause people are still gonna make TOS captains no matter how much there is.
    I like making concept characters, and I already got a concept planned out and stuff prepared for my TOS captain. ^^
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    Look, I hate to be mister negative, but if the devs are calling it a full expansion "at least as big as LoR" then where are the large amount of ships available as you rank up? All we, the players, have heard about was the paid ships. NOTHING on the other ships. Will there even be other ships other than the ones we have to pay for? As for the missions, one a month or so is nice, if the missions were close to 2 hours in length. But just 20 minutes of pew pew baddies, go to ground, pew, pew, back to space, and pew some more, I will be disappointed.

Now, I like the idea of visiting TOS as much as the next player, but it needs to be done right with plenty of missions to keep the players HAPPY since endgame is almost non-existent and PVP is nothing but a mess.

PVP needs a MAJOR OVERHAUL. Plus getting to endgame shouldn't be a chore. It should be welcomed with open arms.

I'm ending this post before it becomes a rant.
    latest?cb=20141230104800&path-prefix=en
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    all I can say is, I'm not going to believe anything or count anything or decide anything until it's actually on my screen and I'm playing it. Everything else is just speculation.

Other than the obvious truths:

1) It's absolutely free.
    2) It's hours of new content.
    3) You can play every second of it without spending a dime.

Not many other MMOs can claim all of those things.
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Look, I hate to be mister negative, but if the devs are calling it a full expansion "at least as big as LoR" then where are the large amount of ships available as you rank up? All we, the players, have heard about was the paid ships. NOTHING on the other ships. Will there even be other ships other than the ones we have to pay for? As for the missions, one a month or so is nice, if the missions were close to 2 hours in length. But just 20 minutes of pew pew baddies, go to ground, pew, pew, back to space, and pew some more, I will be disappointed.

Now, I like the idea of visiting TOS as much as the next player, but it needs to be done right with plenty of missions to keep the players HAPPY since endgame is almost non-existent and PVP is nothing but a mess.

PVP needs a MAJOR OVERHAUL. Plus getting to endgame shouldn't be a chore. It should be welcomed with open arms.

I'm ending this post before it becomes a rant.

You might want to get your facts straight. That quote is nowhere near what was said, what was said is that the TOS faction is at least as much a faction as the Romulans. Nobody ever said anything about the size of the expansion other than it being "a full expansion". It's one thing to take one thing that one dev said and run with it, it's another thing to put quote marks around something that literally no dev has said and then go off as if it's fact.

As for the faction comment, one guy said it, Geko. Geko is a systems guy, and from the perspective of a systems guy, the TOS faction probably IS a full faction. It has its own dialog, it has its own UI, it has its own ships, it even has it's own transporter animation. If you asked an art team guy, he'd probably say it's a full faction as well. However, if you asked the writing team, it would likely be a different story (pun intended).
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    rom had no recuitment
    tos has (with many goodies)

rom had no specialization
    tos has

rom ...
    tos has the bloody past ,present ,future ,kelvin timeline and ...
  • awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Now that the details have been announced, I think we can compare Agents of Yesterday more accurately. It is not a "Legacy of Romulus" type of expansion, it is more of a "Delta Rising" expansion. For comparison, I have posted links to both reward announcement blogs below.

Delta Rising - Delta Recruitment rewards

Agents of Yesterday - Temporal Agent Rewards

So, there is an apples to apples comparison in contrast to the apples to bananas comparison between AoY and LoR.