test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Ooh, I can finally use the pauldrons with those sashes--nice! The clipping bugged me so much. Everything looks so much better :)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Very nice work indeed
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    @crypticjoejing can we expect new cranial ridge patterns from the TV series, movies, and VCR actors in the future? I think the males have got a good selection. But the females could use some more.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Zzzzzzzzzzooooooooooommmmmmmmbbbbbbiiiiiieeeeeeee!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    There's been a lot of necromancy as of late.....we may have to call Rick Grimes.if it keeps up
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    it was only half a month past expiration, and considering crypticjoejing himself necroed it a few months back as well as the thread itself still being VERY relevant...i don't see this one getting closed​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,342 Community Moderator
    it was only half a month past expiration, and considering crypticjoejing himself necroed it a few months back as well as the thread itself still being VERY relevant...i don't see this one getting closed​​

Exactly. This is a thread started by a Dev about an ongoing improvement project. Still relevant.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    You people have an unnatural fear of the dead.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    not me; i raise the dead in my spare time​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    I eat zombies....
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    I noticed that the thread has usually been updated even after a year of no continuous replies. I followed @jodarkrider most latest thread. Creating a new thread would be considered trolling. And I hope you didn't just come here to tell me I am a necro. If you intended disrupt at you own amusement, then you have succeeded.

Edit: Thanks @baddmoonrizin and @shadowfang240 for explaining to these 'nice' people that they are exaggerating the situation. I hope they meant it as joke at my expense, otherwise I'd be seriously concerned with them acting like they are mods.

Shame few people had to spoil it.
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Let's stop derailing the thread, shall we?
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Exactly. This is a thread started by a Dev about an ongoing improvement project. Still relevant.
    Maybe stake it so it stops falling? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    i'm surprised it's not already...you'd think devs would have the ability to sticky their own threads

granted, this one WAS made back before the vanillapocalypse​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,342 Community Moderator
    @crypticjoejing can we expect new cranial ridge patterns from the TV series, movies, and VCR actors in the future? I think the males have got a good selection. But the females could use some more.

Back to the original query:

Yes, I would like to see some additional cranial ridge patterns as well. Also, and in the spirit of the TOS expansion and the 50th anniversary, I'd love to see Klingon Augment style heads for our playable Klingon captains and BOFFs. :)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options

Back to the original query:

Yes, I would like to see some additional cranial ridge patterns as well. Also, and in the spirit of the TOS expansion and the 50th anniversary, I'd love to see Klingon Augment style heads for our playable Klingon captains and BOFFs. :)

That be great idea for the anniversary. People are discussing TMP options as well here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/comment/12934552

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    One more thing coming soonish: more skin tone options for Klingons http://imgur.com/9bkakFz

Wow. When you guys actually put that into a blog/ad copy call it "more than tripled the number of skin tones.

I read more and expected 3-5, not TWELVE new options :).

• Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Male and female sash and male pauldron updates coming sooner than expected. We decided to push what we have so far. Female pauldrons have not been addressed yet.

preview before and after: http://imgur.com/a/9HOAZ

Another wow! Those looks SO MUCH BETTER. Clearly whatever time they are giving you is being put to good use :)!!
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    No time for new hair? Ok then, how about some of the hair that we already see? Worf, K'mtar, Kahless, and a few from the Fed options like ponytails wouldn't apall me none. Hair other than just tied up in dreadlocks would be a big plus.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    kyrrok wrote: »
    No time for new hair? Ok then, how about some of the hair that we already see? Worf, K'mtar, Kahless, and a few from the Fed options like ponytails wouldn't apall me none. Hair other than just tied up in dreadlocks would be a big plus.

klingon hair is frizzy not dreadlocked, its been an old argument that was never noticed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    Yeah, in most episodes I see them in their hair doesn't appear to be tightly dreaded.

250px-Kurak.jpg
    76c393b933c3d22a8817e00f54d70bef27e7cb23.jpg

Looks like Klingons curl their hair. Or keep it very trimmed like TMP.

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    There is not a single dreadlocked Klingon in all of Star Trek, or if there is I have forgotten all about it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    There is not a single dreadlocked Klingon in all of Star Trek, or if there is I have forgotten all about it.​​

Me too. Must be scene of at least one heavily braided Klingon. Or maybe it was just artistic license. They did say that hair is difficult to get right and time consuming. So maybe making dreadlocks worked better for them with the models they had at the time.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    since when is dreads the only style available in STO?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    another thing, if klingons ever had dreadlock style hair it would give the actors and actresses headaches with all those heavy locks being flung about in the air.

Jason Momoa who played Ronan Dex on SG Atlantis, he mentioned that these dreadlocks became so troublesome that he was allowed cut them off and created a custom wig with the dreadlocks on them so he wouldnt have headaches each time in an action sequence and wouldnt have the additional weight on his head.

so for any typical actor playing a klingon with locks, it could be an issue having so much weight on the head, especially in tough action performances. it just wouldnt be reasonable for any actor wearing such a wig with such weight. so it doesnt make much sense keeping it as dreadlocks.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2016

It is for Klingon characters. You have five variations of dreadlocks, bald, top knot and if you happen to have it worfs s1 cut​, that's about it. Might be high forehead long as well, but I think Klingon characters have the least hairstyle options available. Plus the dreadlocks aren't even canonically accurate but, as it seems, a 100% Cryptic invention.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    Interesting read. I never knew that about Stargate Atlantis. Maybe they can open up some of those options for existing hairstyles that work with Klingon heads. But I'd like if they also make some of those loose hair styles as well and any unique ones other than dreads.

tumblr_ncsl8xew5c1trbh6do1_400.gif
    Gowron demands it.
  • Options
    jtoon74jtoon74 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    Thanks and more hairstyles if that ok thanks.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »

It is for Klingon characters. You have five variations of dreadlocks, bald, top knot and if you happen to have it worfs s1 cut​, that's about it. Might be high forehead long as well, but I think Klingon characters have the least hairstyle options available. Plus the dreadlocks aren't even canonically accurate but, as it seems, a 100% Cryptic invention.​​

Yep, for a separate faction Klingons have the most underwhelming customisation in both hair styles and ridges I have seen. Compared to the Feds. And they are still complaining about only getting one new hairstyle and want the unique Romulan specific hairstyle as well :*

Mean while Klings still have only five. But looks like a hard working developer is working on updating them. So there is hope.