What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new UI sneak peek...

Comments

• Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Stop it and wait for anything substantial.

Why start now?
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I don't think a single image offers any insight into the console UI, its usability, or how it might port over to the PC platform.

It does if you're an experienced console player who has used pretty much that exact layout in the past. Frankly it borders on 'bog-standard'.

As one of those people, it doesn't terrify me, but I'm hopeful that it'll be an additional option on PC and not mandatory in the future.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    Looks cool, please keep my pc play the same.
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    I would not worry. Neverwinter xbox has a different UI than neverwinter PC. Nothing changed when the xbox version came out. They are different games, that run differently, on different servers. this wont affect pc.
  • Options
    phrgphrg Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    I'm all for having it as an option for PC.

Not forced of course, just as an option so PC users can use either interface. Why? Because this would make it so I can play from my couch using my controller.

Some people don't want it, that's fine. Add it as an option. More options aren't going to hurt anyone.

Personally, I think it looks cool.

Agree 100% with the above.

My initial reaction to the screenshot was that it looks very arcade-gamey.

I'll give the radial thing a spin if it's an option but I'm concerned that, no matter how good it is, no control system designed for a dozen buttoned console game-pad is ever going to be as good as a PC control system working with a game that was designed for a PC system.

In front of me I have a keyboard with around 100 buttons (plus shift and ctrl options), a game controller with around 15 buttons and a gaming mouse with around 15 buttons. Why would I want to use a UI designed for someone with 12 buttons?

If I like my current UI can I keep it? :)
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    OH! MY! GOD! NOOOOOOOO! How will I be able to play if I have to have a freaking roll bar in order to use my skills!!! I like being able to see what's available at a glance that thing will be hell in space!
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    I hate it. It takes up too much space on my screen. While the current model you can have it low in the center. And frees up more screen space. Second I like my set up I got now. I do a lot of mouse clicking, so I have mine set up to fit my way of playing. So with this set up it would ruin my set up. My skills are spaced in groups, and most used so I can use them very quickly.

It needs to stay on the consul.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    nikeix wrote: »
    It does if you're an experienced console player who has used pretty much that exact layout in the past. Frankly it borders on 'bog-standard'.

As one of those people, it doesn't terrify me, but I'm hopeful that it'll be an additional option on PC and not mandatory in the future.

I can't see it ever being mandatory, since it seems pretty clearly to be built on controller use (like picking powers on that wheel with a thumbstick). And controllers aren't standard PC equipment, even if a bunch of people do have them.
    Post edited by kiralyn on
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    phrg wrote: »
    I'm all for having it as an option for PC.

Not forced of course, just as an option so PC users can use either interface. Why? Because this would make it so I can play from my couch using my controller.

Some people don't want it, that's fine. Add it as an option. More options aren't going to hurt anyone.

Personally, I think it looks cool.

Agree 100% with the above.

My initial reaction to the screenshot was that it looks very arcade-gamey.

I'll give the radial thing a spin if it's an option but I'm concerned that, no matter how good it is, no control system designed for a dozen buttoned console game-pad is ever going to be as good as a PC control system working with a game that was designed for a PC system.

In front of me I have a keyboard with around 100 buttons (plus shift and ctrl options), a game controller with around 15 buttons and a gaming mouse with around 15 buttons. Why would I want to use a UI designed for someone with 12 buttons?

If I like my current UI can I keep it? :)

Agreed, I have my doubts as well. Which is why adding it to PC as an option is the best idea. If it sucks for me, I just won't use it. If I end up liking it, or just finding it passable, then I gain the ability to play the game 'console style' in my living room.

Adding things as an option is never a bad thing. People that don't like/want the change simply ignore it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    if we will have to lose current ui for just few fps I think they should just keep it on consoles, as long as new ui means a lot better fps for everyone I'm okay with it
  • Options
    tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Well, if we're talking about "progress" in terms of technological improvements for a gaming UI, my first choice would be:

"You must think in Russian"

Desired action/thought: fire photon torpedoes --- your ship fires photon torpedoes

OR

огонь фотонные торпеды (ogon' fotonnyye torpedy)

Now THAT would be an awesome UI

VERY wishful thinking (see what I did there ;) LOL), because we're NOT quite there ... YET.

Of course, it should be noted that the (Firefox) movie linguistic staff members' Russian skills really sucked:

Clint's selection menu -

Ружье (Gun) ok this one makes sense ...

Припасы (Supplies) ... say what? what supplies? Ammo perhaps? how much/what type?

Орудие (Cannon) ... um ... Redundancy anyone?

Снаряды (Shells) ... say again? what, seashells - LOL

Вспышка (Flash) ... as in "camera flash"? too crazy

None of the selections translate to what Clint fired: Rear-firing MISSILE (Ракета сзади стрельбы) - facepalm lol
    Post edited by tigrovaya13akula on
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    so much spaz in here for something thats not even been confirmed as a potential option for PC
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    so much spaz in here for something thats not even been confirmed as a potential option for PC

Just a heads up, that word is quite offensive to some people in the UK :dizzy:
    (Not me, I'm not offended by much).
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Can't fault him for that...
  • Options
    equinox976 wrote: »

does it mean something different over there? Not that I'm particularly worried about offending the p.c. crowd, but curious as to why the UK has decided that word aint kosher over there
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

does it mean something different over there? Not that I'm particularly worried about offending the p.c. crowd, but curious as to why the UK has decided that word aint kosher over there

Just googled it, apparently in the UK it's slang for mentally disabled people, I'm guessing it has a similar, or possibly worse, sentiment to a certain 'R' word that is sometimes used here in the US.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

Just googled it, apparently in the UK it's slang for mentally disabled people, I'm guessing it has a similar, or possibly worse, sentiment to a certain 'R' word that is sometimes used here in the US.

ahh cool, good to know :) thx for the info, always good to learn something new... I still call people TRIBBLE when they act in a fashion deserving so I'm used to the dirty looks from the easily mortified p.c. brigade
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    STO%20Console%20UI_zpsywr5omuk.jpg

I have to agree with some of the other posters; this just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I am really hoping this doesn't get ported over to the PC.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    To be fair, there's not much they could do considering all the powers you have access to.

I hope we get some of the backend improvements

It just means what it means - spaz = spastic = person with a severe life debilitating mental disability. We used to use it a lot in the UK a few decades ago, but there was a successful campaign to educate people about it.

Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    yaminigmayaminigma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    I think what a lot of you mean is "I hope it's an optional feature on PC" there's nothing wrong if they port it as an optional feature.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    There's really no reason for them to replace the PC UI with a UI optimized for a console. We might get some of the "under the hood" streamlining, but they won't replace the UI.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    There was no reason to remove exploration, but they did.

Actually the reasoning I believe was people got lost in the clusters and the fact it was pretty common for ground mobs to spawn underground making a ground Exploration map impossible.

And frankly... how many different ways can you random encounter kill 5 mobs or scan 5 objects about the 3rd Borg Dynasty?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    as much as I miss having any semblance of exploration the old system was terrible and it was a good call to remove it. Not replacing it, on the other hand, was a terrible call
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    STO%20Console%20UI_zpsywr5omuk.jpg

I have to agree with some of the other posters; this just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I am really hoping this doesn't get ported over to the PC.

i cant see it ever happening, remember that ms is not willing to cross platform with x1 which means PS4 is in the same boat, the console versions have their own servers and as a result a game engine built around it to work with it for those consoles and servers.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    i cant see it ever happening, remember that ms is not willing to cross platform with x1 which means PS4 is in the same boat, the console versions have their own servers and as a result a game engine built around it to work with it for those consoles and servers.

I think MS changed it stance on cross platform a while ago but Sony hasn't. But Cryptic already stated that every platform will run on it's own server regardless of MS or Sony policy. However they also said the console UI might eventually come to the PC version. If it means it'll be replacing the old one or be an option is unknown, though.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    They have a new prototype exploration system already, it was mentioned a few podcasts ago by borticus.

I don't think people realize what a tall order it is to make a random mission generator. The missions either suck or have to be manually designed which takes enormous amounts of time.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I think MS changed it stance on cross platform a while ago but Sony hasn't. But Cryptic already stated that every platform will run on it's own server regardless of MS or Sony policy. ​​

Interestingly, Portal 2 was PC/Mac/PS3 cross-platform but not X360. Of course, that was last gen. /shrug
  • Options
    f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    semalda226 wrote: »
    OH! MY! GOD! NOOOOOOOO! How will I be able to play if I have to have a freaking roll bar in order to use my skills!!! I like being able to see what's available at a glance that thing will be hell in space!

This ... Very well said.

Even if we can still keybind or hit keys for specific powers, how would you know instantly what is on cool-down and what is not?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Interestingly, Portal 2 was PC/Mac/PS3 cross-platform but not X360. Of course, that was last gen. /shrug

Yeah, I'm not really invested in console business but I think on reddit someone posted a link that the decision was rather recent.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou