Options

The new UI sneak peek...

Comments

• Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    From reddit post, which is apparently the source of pic:
    Radial power tray for consoles.
    Console exclusive for now. Might come to pc eventually.

So for now worrying about this menu is much ado about nothing.

Might come or might not. And eventually definitely = not near anytime soon.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Well... a somewhat tenuous sigh of relief then.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    seanftdseanftd Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    null
    Or maybe they should add it to the pc format of the game, but give the players the option or design.
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I share most of the worries in this thread. I hope the PC version isn't punished with those awfull wheel menus and limited to four active powers.​​

I find this so hogwash! You are not Limited to just 4 active Powers / abilities on console.
    It's just lazy Developers not thinking outside the box!

Final Fantasy XIV supports full 8 skill hotbars on PS4! Using square 4 skill clusters x 2 per hotbar.

Left 4 skill cluster is mapped to the 4 directional buttons on left side Controller.
    Right 4 skill cluster is mapped to the 4 color buttons on right side Controller.

Then you've got 4 triggers from which two are used to cycle through different hotbars and the two big triggers to insta switch between two hotbars, giving you Instant access to 16 skills/abilities at a time.

It's an incredibly intuitive UI Interface on PS4 that needs some getting used to, but it works! Giving you same flexibility and Access to all skills as on PC.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    ROFL

The players have seen the new UI, and they LOVE it !
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Is there any other topic we can start people worrying about for no good reason?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @jeronan: Yes. Or I just click on the skill I want.

I get that there are creative solutions to these problems on consoles, but all of them are inherently inferior to simply being able to click on it or press a button on your keyboard. If PC players would at any point be forced to use a re-ported console UI it would simply be stupid (porting a six year old game to next gen consoles and then re-porting it back to PC at one time is already madness).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jeronanjeronan Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @jeronan: Yes. Or I just click on the skill I want.

I get that there are creative solutions to these problems on consoles, but all of them are inherently inferior to simply being able to click on it or press a button on your keyboard. If PC players would at any point be forced to use a re-ported console UI it would simply be stupid (porting a six year old game to next gen consoles and then re-porting it back to PC at one time is already madness).​​

You don't get my post at all do you?! And what difference does it make to press a button on a controller with your finger or pressing a key on a keyboard with your finger? Seriously! /FACEPALM
    Beyond 12 skills on main hotbar, you will have to use ALT or CTRL combinations, which are more cumbersome than using a trigger on a controller.

I am talking about the stupid 4 skill limitation discussion on console that has been going around for years. About how PC games need to be significantly dumbed down because of console! That you can only have 4 active skills on console! All that kind of idiotic comments!

Well, Final Fantasy XIV has proven that it's hoghwash and that with good console UI design you can have a full MMORPG experience as on PC!

Elder Scrolls Online is Limited to 8 active skills, but I actually like that as you need to make good build decisions combining right skill sets.

Same for The Secret World where you are limited to 7 active skills at a time. I have played that MMO extensively and still love it. Made it no less fun at all. And above all, it's only on PC and not available on console.

I have played plenty of MMO's With multiple hotbars plastered with useless skills, while only handful are really used most. Just frustrating and pointless.

It all comes down to both good game design and UI design.
  • Options
    conkav22conkav22 Member Posts: 8,146 Arc User
  • Options
    'This game is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!'

Did I summarize the reaction to this UI, that is NOT coming to the PC, appropriately for people who think it IS coming to the PC. I don't what to inappropriately summarize what has been said in this Thread.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    Honestly, for the PC, I would hope they use a new UI that is similar in layout to the current one but less of a drain of graphics/fps. I can turn off the UI, and my fps doubles or tripples.
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    conkav22 wrote: »
    That new ui
    The only thing it is CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE UI.

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Of all the......let's put it mildly - questionable decisions they've made after Dan Stahl left the EP position of STO, this has the potential to really be that one straw that actually breaks the camel's back for me. And I was kinda' looking forward to AoY and all the TOS stuff that I always wanted in the game. :/ Far be it from me dissing the consoles or console players as I'm an owner of a PS myself, but if we end up with something so "dumbified" and reminding or resembling what I can see in Neverwinter :s , well - that's the deal-breaker for me personally. Not saying this out of spite or to ramble, I have tried to like Neverwinter many many times over and over, I really wanted to like it and yet, still to this day, I couldn't get into that game - the interface being a big part of the reason, so I know that the attraction to STO I feel will take a nosedive after something like that happens.
    I mean - as a hopeless Star Trek fan I can take serious plot holes, stupid episodes and decisions, anti-climatic storylines (hello Iconian war), lack of KDF & RR development, etc., etc. and still be here, but if I can't enjoy properly playing the game due to the most basic of mechanics...well...I'm afraid that would actually really be it for me. :(

Granted, it's still early to judge based on a single screenshot - I'm just talking from the perspective of someone that is familiar with Neverwinter, another big Cryptic liscenced title/game that's adjusted for consoles. While the post from @thelordofshades gives some hope that our PC setup will remain intact, the 'might come to pc eventually' part is very troublesome, especially for someone versed in "Cryptic-talk" for years.
    I really, really hope they leave our PC setup alone, or if they're making another interface yet again rolleyes.gif - that it will be a better preforming version and not a "dumbified" one. I really hope someone at Cryptic is reading this and will consider the consequences - there's no reason to not make a separate interface for console players and let the PC players keep their current one.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    'This game is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions. Old Testament, real wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!'

Did I summarize the reaction to this UI, that is NOT coming to the PC, appropriately for people who think it IS coming to the PC. I don't what to inappropriately summarize what has been said in this Thread.

Do you hear that quote as a male voice or female?
    <chuckle>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    I'll definitely never play this game again if they try to unify the platforms. This UI is a nightmare for pc users.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    This even looks bad for consoles. Hopefully it's just a 'work in progress'.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    conkav22conkav22 Member Posts: 8,146 Arc User
    conkav22 wrote: »
    That new ui
    The only thing it is CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE UI.

I know its just for console, but what i meant as console UIs go its pretty bad.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I doubt they'll force radial menus on PC players because that is designed for console controllers. While me may see some performance improvements that result from this on PC, I don't see our current UI changing at all. Pretty sure many games that are both PC and console have various differences, UI being one of them due to how the controls are set up. Especially when we're talking games with complex controls or started out on PC already.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Gross.
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    I'm not too worried. I've played Neverwinter on both PC and Xbox One. The UIs are different there. I see no reason why they would have to be the same for us.
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    large.gif

Love it! :D

The new design doesn't look too bad, for consoles. I wouldn't want that setup on the PC version though. I'm trying to make out what abilities are in that little circle in the picture. They're obviously science, as they're blue, but I can't tell what abilities they are.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    There is no Dana only Zuul.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Definately agree with @sunfranks here, that UI looks dreadful if it were applied to the PC version of STO.

If that were console only, it would be... moderately useful.

I don't mean to sound rude, I fully realize it is a challenge to port over a PC game to console without stripping down the interface. I just don't see players setting any DPS records with a UI like this. :/
  • Options
    @bberge1701

I assume that when you played on the PC, you were not also playing with Xbox One people and vice versa. Only asking because on one of the Threads I indicated that how Neverwinter treated Console/PC players would give a pretty good indication of what they would do with STO.

I believed they confirmed that the three equipment type based players would not be playing together for now.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    scarling wrote: »
    I'll definitely never play this game again if they try to unify the platforms. This UI is a nightmare for pc users.

I bet if it had a button on the wheel that was "post forums thread wishing for T6 Connie" it would have near universal PC gamer adoption immediately.

This UI is keeping with the times of touchscreen gaming.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I bet if it had a button on the wheel that was "post forums thread wishing for T6 Connie" it would have near universal PC gamer adoption immediately.

This UI is keeping with the times of touchscreen gaming.

Touchscreen gaming? Um... last I checked, the XB1 and PS4 still used traditional controllers and not touchscreens.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    honestly just make it an option under game settings for PC users... esp as some PC users like their controllers
  • Options
    ussdelphin2ussdelphin2 Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    wR5lQ1x.jpg
    Wow that UI is bad
    How I picture a lot of the forumites :P