test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Color Me Disappointed...

Comments

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    It's more of a new faction then anything else but it does tie into FED at endgame I believe to simplify things.
  • Options
    cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    badvaio wrote: »
    Only 3 more years and we get the 20th anniversary of the last great Star Trek movie, Galaxy Quest. What will Cryptic give us for that ?

It's totally off-topic, but irresistable nonetheless! For that we get a Console - Universal - Omega 13 Device.
    Which... well... is a lot like some of the time ship consoles we already have. But funnier.
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• Options
    bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    alphahydri wrote: »
    I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for the 5/5 announcement, because now I'm kinda bummed. I know a lot of people are getting excited over it, but I'm just not feeling it... Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction and maybe some interesting stuff to do in the Alpha Quadrant besides Defera and the Terran Battlezone. Alas, it doesn't seem that will happen now.

I'm also not really a huge fan of TOS *gasp*! I feel like it's blasphemy saying that you don't care for O.G. Star Trek, but I could just never get into it much. DS9 and Voyager are my beloved Trek works, and since we've already had a Voyager-based expansion (Delta Rising), I had figured a DS9-based one (Cardassians, Dominion, Gamma Quadrant, etc.) would be not too far behind.

I'm fully aware that this is the 50th anniversary of TOS and the Star Trek franchise as a whole, but making an expansion that only focuses on TOS, especially when this game is supposed to be taking place 150+ years after TOS chronologically, is very odd to me. It almost seems as if all the time travel stuff we've been getting lately was implemented solely for this expansion to make sense in the STO universe.

Let's not even mention the fact that, as of right now, this expansion caters 100% to Feds only. There is nothing in this expansion as of now for the KDF and Roms, which is really disheartening. My main may be a Starfleet Tactical Officer, but I have an equal amount of characters from each of the three factions. I hope something is done about this soon, otherwise that'll be another reason to be bummed about this expansion.

In summary, I'd like to see the devs focus on new stuff of their own design/creation. The Deferi were a good first start, but there hasn't been much like that since, if anything. I want to see STO move forward in the Star Trek universe, exploring places and showing us things that truly haven't been seen before. I don't want to keep seeing old story plots rehashed and add-ons that don't even take place within the timeframe that STO is set in. The only thing I'm cool with regarding this stuff is the Temporal Cold War, since Enterprise didn't show much of it. Focus on that, instead of using it as a convenient segway into something that only caters to a particular group within the STO community, and a certain portion of the Star Trek fanbase.

Maybe you need to go read the blog again and do it very carefully this time here I'll even quote a piece of it for you so you don't have too.
    In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain, we will be introducing a new episode arc for players of every faction

there now go reread it so you don't think I made that up
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for the 5/5 announcement, because now I'm kinda bummed. I know a lot of people are getting excited over it, but I'm just not feeling it... Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction and maybe some interesting stuff to do in the Alpha Quadrant besides Defera and the Terran Battlezone. Alas, it doesn't seem that will happen now.

I'm also not really a huge fan of TOS *gasp*! I feel like it's blasphemy saying that you don't care for O.G. Star Trek, but I could just never get into it much. DS9 and Voyager are my beloved Trek works, and since we've already had a Voyager-based expansion (Delta Rising), I had figured a DS9-based one (Cardassians, Dominion, Gamma Quadrant, etc.) would be not too far behind.

I'm fully aware that this is the 50th anniversary of TOS and the Star Trek franchise as a whole, but making an expansion that only focuses on TOS, especially when this game is supposed to be taking place 150+ years after TOS chronologically, is very odd to me. It almost seems as if all the time travel stuff we've been getting lately was implemented solely for this expansion to make sense in the STO universe.

Let's not even mention the fact that, as of right now, this expansion caters 100% to Feds only. There is nothing in this expansion as of now for the KDF and Roms, which is really disheartening. My main may be a Starfleet Tactical Officer, but I have an equal amount of characters from each of the three factions. I hope something is done about this soon, otherwise that'll be another reason to be bummed about this expansion.

In summary, I'd like to see the devs focus on new stuff of their own design/creation. The Deferi were a good first start, but there hasn't been much like that since, if anything. I want to see STO move forward in the Star Trek universe, exploring places and showing us things that truly haven't been seen before. I don't want to keep seeing old story plots rehashed and add-ons that don't even take place within the timeframe that STO is set in. The only thing I'm cool with regarding this stuff is the Temporal Cold War, since Enterprise didn't show much of it. Focus on that, instead of using it as a convenient segway into something that only caters to a particular group within the STO community, and a certain portion of the Star Trek fanbase.

Maybe you need to go read the blog again and do it very carefully this time here I'll even quote a piece of it for you so you don't have too.
    In addition to the ability to create a brand new Star Trek: The Original Series Starfleet captain, we will be introducing a new episode arc for players of every faction

there now go reread it so you don't think I made that up
    Your point? That "new episode arc for players of every faction" could literally be anything, including more TOS stuff. It may very well continue the Temporal Cold War arc, but we don't know because Cryptic did little more than mention that in a little blurb in a sea of a lot of other info.

If the new arc does continue the Temporal Cold War story, then it will be disappointing anyways because the roles should be reversed. I'd rather see a Temporal Cold War-themed expansion with a new TOS-themed episode arc than what we have now.

• Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Its OK about the TOS stuff, I grew up watching it and at one time could tell you the complete story from just seeing the first 10 seconds. Im just not into rolling yet another toon, I paid to play, not to grind another toon. What about my 3 Delta's, just sitting around waiting on me to delete them are what. Why couldn't they like in the Iconian War, go back in time and do the missions. that would have been cool, hell, I might have even forked out yet another 100+ US but this time, I think I will pass. Only time will tell. they may still have more news coming our way.. My Delta's are sad, every sad.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I'm a tad disappointed too. But on the other hand, there is still so much we don't know at this point. And tbh, the *worst* case scenario is a bunch of FREE new mission content to play. So, not so bad =P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    This is a temporal agent in STO:

star_trek_tng_2.jpg?itok=ldZe2UFb​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    This is a temporal agent in STO:

star_trek_tng_2.jpg?itok=ldZe2UFb

Old gigs ONLINE pig-2.gif​​
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    when i saw the 5/5 trailer i was expecting a singular mission involving doing something in the TOS timeline but never really expected a full blown expansion to include the past as a faction but now that i think about it there is some cool things that can come about from it and while TOS is not my fave i have a great respect for it and the design of the ships also the fact they managed to get an actor from the series back is a plus. now all i need to do is shove a lot of dilith into zen to enjoy a mite bit of retro for my characters as well as "bring the future to the past"
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    commodorerookcommodorerook Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    All I know is, I have not touched this game in over a year, but the announcement of an all TOS expansion has brought me back!
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    @alphahydri

You're getting ahead of yourself.
    ...Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction...
    I would love this too but when you really start to think about it, you begin to realize that it's probably NEVER gonna happen. Think of all the ships that the devs will need to add to the game. There are TONS of consoles and ship traits that would need to be allocated for Cardassian players and there's no guarantee that enough people would buy these new Cardassian ships for Cryptic to justify the investment. Plus they would need to create Cardassian versions along with Fed, KDF, and Romulan ships every time a new ship set comes out. Not likely to happen.
    Let's not even mention the fact that, as of right now, this expansion caters 100% to Feds only. There is nothing in this expansion as of now for the KDF and Roms, which is really disheartening.
    *Points Finger* You know full well that Cryptic will slowly release information which will include a bunch of stuff for the KDF and Romulans. We aren't even into 24 hours of the first information release.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    As I have said in other threads, I am enthused about this. TOS, in case some of you have forgotten, stands for The Original Series. Without which there would be no other Star Trek at all. James T. Kirk is still the Starfleet Captain. The original crew, "Wi' no bloody A,B,C, or D", is still the finest crew Starfleet ever had.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    alphahydrialphahydri Member Posts: 391 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Soo...what about the 5/5 teaser screamed cardy faction? Seriously WTF. It is not the devs fault that you are delusional and somehow associated a tos connie with a cardy faction.
    Oi, you're the second person to not understand what I was trying to say in my post. I have edited it for further clarity.
    @alphahydri

You're getting ahead of yourself.
    ...Personally, I was really hoping for a Cardassian-themed expansion, with a Cardassian mini-faction...
    I would love this too but when you really start to think about it, you begin to realize that it's probably NEVER gonna happen. Think of all the ships that the devs will need to add to the game. There are TONS of consoles and ship traits that would need to be allocated for Cardassian players and there's no guarantee that enough people would buy these new Cardassian ships for Cryptic to justify the investment. Plus they would need to create Cardassian versions along with Fed, KDF, and Romulan ships every time a new ship set comes out. Not likely to happen.
    Ummm, you know that's exactly what they did when they launched Legacy of Romulus, right? Most of the Romulan ships were created from scratch by Cryptic's art & design teams. Doing the same for a Cardassian faction wouldn't have been that outrageous. Also, what consoles and ship traits are you referring to? Cryptic seems to have a pretty good imagination when it comes to creating new stuff like that for ships, so I wouldn't think it's impossible for them to do.

And again, why is adding one more ship to those cross-faction bundles an unlikely event? They needn't retroactively add a Cardassian ship to every cross-faction bundle they've released so far, just create a couple of standalone ships that utilize the traits used in those cross-faction bundles. It is a little complicated, I'll admit, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

• Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Besides, who is to say a cardy faction will not come sometime down the line ?

There's already been hints of that being planned and in the works. So next year when they announce the new new NEW expansion with Cardassian mini-faction and all kinds of fun DS9/Gamma Quadrant stuff, I'll be sure to be as wet a blanket as the OP here and talk about how disappointed I am that they're making something fun that the OP wanted. Just to return the favor.

Because god forbid Cryptic finally make me an end-game Daedalus like I've been asking for, for like 5 and a half years!

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thelordofshadesthelordofshades Member Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, what is essentially now a Federation protectorate will surely bring something new to this game. Yet another way to replay all those Federation missions with some short introductory arc is what we need. Right, absolutely. (Yes, I'm looking at you, useless Cardashians).
    How could anyone doubt that TOS/TMP story arc is so much boring compared to that illustrious perspective?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Ummm, you know that's exactly what they did when they launched Legacy of Romulus, right?Most of the Romulan ships were created from scratch by Cryptic's art & design teams. Doing the same for a Cardassian faction wouldn't have been that outrageous.
    Except that unlike with Legacy or Romulus, we now have Tier 6. That's a whole lot of ships for them to come up with. They have a MUCH smaller dev team now compared to when they created Romulans.
    Also, what consoles and ship traits are you referring to? Cryptic seems to have a pretty good imagination when it comes to creating new stuff like that for ships, so I wouldn't think it's impossible for them to do.
    I'm referring to all traits that are not faction specific. All Hands on Deck is one example and there are DOZENS of traits and consoles. That means way more ships that would need to be released at once then has ever happened before, with the previously mentioned gimped dev team. Don't get me wrong, I hope that it will happen, but I doubt that it will. They would also need to come out with new lockbox stuff for Cardassians like Reciprocity etc.
    And again, why is adding one more ship to those cross-faction bundles an unlikely event? They needn't retroactively add a Cardassian ship to every cross-faction bundle they've released so far, just create a couple of standalone ships that utilize the traits used in those cross-faction bundles. It is a little complicated, I'll admit, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    This question is answered by the above answers to previous questions.

----

Not including mirror, lobi, lockbox, event, and low tier FED/KDF ships, the Romulans have around 55 playable ships including fleet variants. Plus new ships are coming out all the time. I hope for a day that Cardassians become playable but with each ship release, the chances of this shrink a little bit more.

The biggest reason for this probably not happening though is history. History shows that with all the buzz around LoR, Romulan mini faction characters make up a small percentage of total player characters. Cardassians would be an even smaller portion. Add to that the higher cost of development for more ships than LoR cost plus story development, smaller dev team, etc. This likely won't happen. Way more people clammer for unreleased FED, KDF, and Romulan ships. Those are cheaper to make and generate a lot more money.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    It's a free expansion, so what is there to complain about?
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    TOS is way better than TNG, Voyager, AND DS9....combined. I am thrilled that finally the focus will be TOS and not wannabe later iterations.
    And this, right there, is what is wrong.

It's a fact that Star Trek has many flavors to it, with the many shows, each having their specific style and characteristics. Everyone likes something different. There's no 'best' Star Trek.

It's like, if you argued that, for example: Because you enjoy eating apples, that makes them the best, and they're the best thing ever, and anyone else liking something different is silly for not liking what you do. Attitude like this, it's what divides the community, unnecessarily, pointlessly so.

Heck, I am not a TOS fan, but that doesn't mean I'd go and make hostile claims such as this. On the contrary. I am glad STO is getting something a lot of people like. We need a fresh pour of something well-likeable, positive and nice. Please don't trample on it, by making such thumping comments.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I'm right there with you. I've got nothing against the TOS stuff, but it does seem a bit excessive to make the much anticipated third expansion essentially only TOS leveling content. Sure there may be a bit more, but it doesn't add much in terms of the STO universe and it's kinda a snub on the ardent players who've been calling for a Cardassian or Cooperative faction for years now.

I'll continue playing, but I doubt I'll experience the new content. I don't have much of a desire to make a new character, let alone a TOS Starfleet only one.

So I'll be back in the corner, waiting for my Cooperative (though I'd play a Cardassian in a heartbeat too. :) )

There...added something important to your post...so basically if I don't want to level another character...or level a *TOS* character that is...you wont be experiencing the majority of content in this expansion.

I'm sorry...but a expansion that is basically just a new leveling experience just doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Actually if you think about it, this Time Travel expansion is the perfect setup for the new 2017 Trek show.
    Which ever direction and era that show comes up with, it can be folded into this game BECAUSE it has Time Travel as an integral pat of the game itself.

And don't count the Cardassians out yet.
    Eventually They will run out of other things to incorporate into the game, so some kind of a Cardassian Mini-Faction will most likely happen.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    You know, it's a free expansion, so you don't have to pay for anything, and on top of that you can decide whether you want to play it or not play it - and if you want to play it, it won't cost you anything to do so.

You're absolutely entitled to be disappointed as well.

TOS isn't for everyone, I get that, but the logic for making this expansion is very clear: It's the 50th anniversary of the original series that started it all. TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise wouldn't exist without that first series, so it's right that we should celebrate it's existence.

I get that folks may not be that into TOS stuff, or may want more stuff for Klingons and Romulans, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of players don't play Klingons or Romulan characters. They play Star Trek Online because like every single one of the shows, it's based around Starfleet and the Federation.

Sure, an argument could be made that if they made more Klingon or Romulan content that more people would play those factions. Well, they did that, and it didn't work that well. If it did, then we would be seeing more of that type of content. The Dev's don't decide to make stuff for no reason. If it makes a profit they'll continue to make it. If it doesn't, they'll probably not make as much of that type of content anymore. It's simple economics.

All that being said, I think it's clear that we'll be seeing some sort of content that expands upon the Cardassian people and the Gamma Quadrant in the not too distant future. Cardassian has been at the top of every poll - official and otherwise - regarding what race people would most like to play in STO. That, and the Executive Producer is a nut for DS9, and I'd say that he's got a bit of influence. Taco's already said that he was working on updating the DS9 map until other things pulled him off of it. So it will happen in some form.

But this is the year of celebrating the Original Series. The one that created Star Trek. I think we can all be thankful for that right?

• Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    What exactly is the color of disappointment anyway?
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User

Mauve? Ochre? Burnt Umber?

Wait, no, dim red and various shades of green... yeah, that's probably about right. :tongue:
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

https://youtu.be/PL2prMmPmQ4

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I'm right there with you. I've got nothing against the TOS stuff, but it does seem a bit excessive to make the much anticipated third expansion essentially only TOS content. Sure there may be a bit more, but it doesn't add much in terms of the STO universe and it's kinda a snub on the ardent players who've been calling for a Cardassian or Cooperative faction for years now.

I'll continue playing, but I doubt I'll experience the new content. I don't have much of a desire to make a new character, let alone a TOS Starfleet only one.

So I'll be back in the corner, waiting for my Cooperative (though I'd play a Cardassian in a heartbeat too. :) )

considering that it started with ToS in 1966 with the man cage, september 8, and likely when the expac is going to be released as its on a thursday this year on a quick check.

May as well get used to the fact that the 50th anni was around the corner and something like this was going to happen anyway. maybe afterwards hmm?

FYI i also want the cardies, but this is what it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The expansion isn't all TOS, though. We get plenty of weird future time travel things as well and we'll fight our regular enemies in the TOS-verse, at least Na'Kuhl will be there (and lose against 23rd century tech, but they also lose against Samurai, so...)

STO is going full on "Timelines", all eras combined, together, alongisde each other. I like that choice as much as I hate it - I'd rather have a real TOS game and a real TNG and post TNG game, not a wild mix of everything with a "time travel" subtext.

In a Star Wars game you'd also want to play Rebels against Empire, not Trade Federation against First Order or something like that. It's great to be able to choose an era, even advance thorugh eras, but the wild mix doesn't really appeal to me.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The expansion isn't all TOS, though. We get plenty of weird future time travel things as well and we'll fight our regular enemies in the TOS-verse, at least Na'Kuhl will be there (and lose against 23rd century tech, but they also lose against Samurai, so...)

STO is going full on "Timelines", all eras combined, together, alongisde each other. I like that choice as much as I hate it - I'd rather have a real TOS game and a real TNG and post TNG game, not a wild mix of everything with a "time travel" subtext.

In a Star Wars game you'd also want to play Rebels against Empire, not Trade Federation against First Order or something like that. It's great to be able to choose an era, even advance thorugh eras, but the wild mix doesn't really appeal to me.​​

if its going to be a TOS themed mini galaxy separate from the 25th century, then everything for the most part is likely to be as authentic as possible except when it comes to the time travelling part.

to play off your examples it would be the empire verse rebellion as it should be for the most part, but towards the end the first order arrives with Kylo Ren on board the flag ship as unstable as ever.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Some are crying its not a cardi/borg/etc expansion. personally Id rather watch the servers physically explode before cardi's get their own faction. Stop acting like there are only cardi lovers and no TOS fans ffs