Install Arc

Mac Closure Notice

Comments

• iyizillaiyizilla Member Posts: 1 New User
    can anyone show how to install the game with wine on mac
  • lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    iyizilla wrote: »
    can anyone show how to install the game with wine on mac

I've been trying so for months. It simply will not work if you're using Nvidia graphics. Which is what most Macs use. The best I've ever gotten is about a few seconds of crappy gameplay before the game goes nuclear on me. The best I've ever heard is that some folks have gotten fairly long periods of crappy game play. I bit the bullet, switched over the windows side, and I've been having the best play in months.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • spocknimoy#8978 spocknimoy Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    > I personally like the Big Mac. It is a tasty sandwich.
    >
    > And my PC has a Mac address.

Ha, Big Mac pun/
    Has anyone tried installing a Windows operating system on a Mac? Would that work?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Depend on if the OS core is compatible with the hardware.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    Well, you could try Boot Camp...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Well, you could try Boot Camp...

I don't have money.

How do I figure that out?
    Yes, I admit, I'm an idiot when it comes to actual computer systems and things like that. I'm stupid and I know it.
    Look at the manufacturer of the motherboard and the BIOS version. Most new computers come with a sticker that says what the CPU is at least
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Look at the manufacturer of the motherboard and the BIOS version. Most new computers come with a sticker that says what the CPU is at least

The processor is an Intel Core iS
  • lunarious1alphalunarious1alpha Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    This isn't about supporting the mac platform. It's because they want to support PS4 and Xbox One. To bad that it will likely be dead on arrival since no one can transfer their characters.
    Post edited by lunarious1alpha on
    that would probably work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    that would probably work.

Okay. Now then, I'm a total moron, so what do I need to do now?
    I wish there were an easy way to do all of this. I really miss playing STO. I was getting kinda good, too.
    I'm really not the right person to ask since I don't use Macs...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    I wish there were an easy way to do all of this. I really miss playing STO. I was getting kinda good, too.

You could try and i hope it works i'm no expert found this on Reddit and followed it. has been working for me

PlayOnMac
    1) Install the PlayOnMac app.
    2) Create a Virtual Drive within PlayOnMAC and install the next stages on this drive
    3) From inside the PlayOnMac app, go to the "Internet" tab and install Internet Explorer 8.
    4) From inside the PlayOnMac app, go to the "Games" tab and install Steam or ARC if you prefer.
    Once Steam is installed, launch it from the PlayOnMac launcher and install STO.
    Once STO is installed, fire it up. The launcher will load and you'll get a LARGE GB patch. Click "Engage".
    You'll see the "Cryptic" screen, and then the "New Dawn" loading screen. The loading screen may stay visible for up to 2 hours. The STO software is poking about its strange new emulated world for all the graphics settings it needs.
    Once it's done poking, it'll show you the "Verify your graphics setting" screen, and once you do so, should launch you into the game.
    Subsequent launches should take the normal amount of time.

To replay, fire up your PlayOnMac app and then click STO.

From inside PlayOnMac where STO is installed there should be a option to create a shortcut as a desktop icon allowing you to click the STO Icon and bypass directly loading PlayOnMac.

13419192_670117289802180_7741464092182191199_n.jpg?oh=d9d28c8dd6d82b3bcad656561083d4f9&oe=580D87DB

You may need to install XQuartz or not and i recommend once the game loads to go straight to graphics settings and adjust them. I found it switched all mine to MAX.

You could try and i hope it works i'm no expert found this on Reddit and followed it. has been working for me

PlayOnMac
    2) Create a Virtual Drive within PlayOnMAC and install the next stages on this drive
    3) From inside the PlayOnMac app, go to the "Internet" tab and install Internet Explorer 8.
    4) From inside the PlayOnMac app, go to the "Games" tab and install Steam or ARC if you prefer.
    Once STO is installed, fire it up. The launcher will load and you'll get a LARGE GB patch. Click "Engage".
    You'll see the "Cryptic" screen, and then the "New Dawn" loading screen. The loading screen may stay visible for up to 2 hours. The STO software is poking about its strange new emulated world for all the graphics settings it needs.
    Once it's done poking, it'll show you the "Verify your graphics setting" screen, and once you do so, should launch you into the game.

From inside PlayOnMac where STO is installed there should be a option to create a shortcut as a desktop icon allowing you to click the STO Icon and bypass directly loading PlayOnMac.

13419192_670117289802180_7741464092182191199_n.jpg?oh=d9d28c8dd6d82b3bcad656561083d4f9&oe=580D87DB

You may need to install XQuartz or not and i recommend once the game loads to go straight to graphics settings and adjust them. I found it switched all mine to MAX.

PlayOnMac

Thanks so much. I will try that as soon as possible aand let you know how it works.

PlayOnMac

Problem: When I go to "Games" it doesn't have Steam or ARC listed

PlayOnMac

Problem: When I go to "Games" it doesn't have Steam or ARC listed

Scratch that, I got Steam, now waiting for STO to install
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    Maybe it's different on Mac, but on Linux (PlayOnLinux) I install STO directly, without Steam or Arc or anything else. Just STO.​​
    guljarol wrote: »
    Maybe it's different on Mac, but on Linux (PlayOnLinux) I install STO directly, without Steam or Arc or anything else. Just STO.​​

Yeah, it's different. It doesn't offer STO itself, just Steam.

PlayOnMac

How can i ever thank you? I've got it back!!!
  • calbear88calbear88 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am running os x 10.11.6. In the past, I had downlaoded the free the paly version of the game on steam. The game doesn't show up in my steam library anymore, but If I go to the steam store page for star trek online, I am able to click "play game" which installs the mac client. The client is 141MB, and when I run it, it then proceeds to download 12gb in game patches. The announcement mentioned the mac client would be removed, but will the game still run for those who already have the client installed successfully?
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    calbear88 wrote: »
    I am running os x 10.11.6. In the past, I had downlaoded the free the paly version of the game on steam. The game doesn't show up in my steam library anymore, but If I go to the steam store page for star trek online, I am able to click "play game" which installs the mac client. The client is 141MB, and when I run it, it then proceeds to download 12gb in game patches. The announcement mentioned the mac client would be removed, but will the game still run for those who already have the client installed successfully?

Chances are, it'll run like TRIBBLE. This is because it was held together with duct tape and super glue on top of a Windows client that was held together with duct tape and super glue. There are lots of adhesives in this game. ;)

Seriously, unless they break the Cider wrapper it's in, it might still run. However, you're detected by them as having a Mac and you won't get things like C-Store access anymore.

However, STO does run on a WINE layer, such as CrossOver or PlayOnMac. Check here for how to get things working: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1211833/how-to-continue-playing-star-trek-online-on-your-mac

Better yet is to run Windows 10 on your Mac and boot into Windows natively. Surprisingly, Win 10 runs just as well as 10.11 if not BETTER! I don't know if it's still happening, but you used to be able to get it for free for being in the Windows Insider Program. It's how I got mine, so it's worth a shot.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    Playonmac is not working anymore. Is there any software similar to playonmac?
  • edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    This new wrinkle is being discussed in this thread
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    [Derailing comment removed]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I use to use P.C but the game is to powerful now and I at the moment can not afford to upgrade or get a new P.C. That is why I am using a Mac. Some games do work on Macs and there is software which helps to play windows games on Macs.

My problem I have is I installed Steam on PlayOnMac because at the the time S.T.O launcher was not working on PlayOnMac. About 2-3 weeks ago every time I login in on the S.T.O launcher through Steam, when it says patching on the bar it will still show patching for a long time. When I click on the options button the launcher freezes. I have checked that I have updated software on the Mac and checked my firewall. Last week I installed sto on PlayOnMac and it was working that one time and now it crashes, even after verifying. I have reinstalled both S.T.O and Steam on PlayOnMac but still get the same problem. Anyone else experiencing this problem on PlayOnMac? I know Wine users are experiencing a problem on the Wine software for playing S.T.O.

Post edited by jodarkrider on