test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mac Closure Notice

Comments

• misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    Ensign "Hailing frequencies open sir"

It is really frustrating to be denied a refund because during a period of time Cryptic's launcher was broken, some helpful people on these forums found us a workaround to be able to get back into the game. Now they are pulling the plug on the Client and MAC support. But they still want us to play, but via these emulators which were used when the service was interupted which they have used the excuse to excluded us from.

The refund as an ACC balance not a direct monetary refund back to your bank, its an incentive to encourage us make the transition to emulators or windows and keep playing and paying.

i'm confident that if i didn't use these workarounds i'd still be disqualified.

Cryptic/PWE you have a number of unhappy customers that feel a little cheated regarding the transparency of your closure statement and refunds offered only to be denied by your support team for reasons not specified in the closure statement.

I accept that use of an emulator does show the ability to access ones account via other means and continued use of one during a period of time when the official launcher was working is grounds to disqualify a person from claiming a refund.
    HOWEVER i'm talking about those verified MAC users that lost that status when you broke the server forcing them to either find a workaround or not play.
    I'm pretty sure at the time having your MAC player base not play was not something you wanted to encourage whilst you fixed the official client as those not playing are players not buying Zen.

So i ask you what action are you taking to support those customers that lost MAC status because of a issue you created ?......

Ensign "No response sir"
    Captain "Repeat transmission"
    Ensign "Its no good sir all i'm getting is static"

• jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    So... new arc client is coming that gives rewards for completing quests.... anyone think this is the real reason for them canning the mac client?
    animated.gif
    So... new arc client is coming that gives rewards for completing quests.... anyone think this is the real reason for them canning the mac client?

Who knows, does seem a bit conicidental that at the start of this month they announce MAC is going and now announce a update to the ARC Client. No smoke without fire they say

Wonder how this will effect those still using MAC's that haven't installed Bootcamp or Parallels ?
  • eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    I imagine this is around when Mac support officially ends. That said, I'm not concerned with the "real" reason. The reason they gave was plausible enough, especially if Transgaming is no longer supporting Cider.

Good news, though: my ticket was finally escalated. Didn't say much — only that they are aware of the feedback in the forums and have forwarded it, and the feedback from various tickets, to the devs who provided the list of Mac users. We'll see if this gets anywhere. If any of you still have tickets open, I encourage you to keep at it.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited March 2016

Who knows, does seem a bit conicidental that at the start of this month they announce MAC is going and now announce a update to the ARC Client. No smoke without fire they say

Wonder how this will effect those still using MAC's that haven't installed Bootcamp or Parallels ?

Most likely it will involve installing Arc Client into whatever WINE bottle we currently have Steam installed. This may or may not wind up being a good thing for the WINE bottle we have STO built into.

EDIT--Take that back as STO works under a WINDOWS XP bottle and client requires 7, 8, or 10.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
    edited March 2016
    eighrichte wrote: »

Good news, though: my ticket was finally escalated. Didn't say much — only that they are aware of the feedback in the forums and have forwarded it, and the feedback from various tickets, to the devs who provided the list of Mac users. We'll see if this gets anywhere. If any of you still have tickets open, I encourage you to keep at it.

I would leave my ticket open but after escalating i was dealing with a Tennzor. Lead Game Master and hit the brick wall of you used an emulator, disputed explaining it was initially due to them not providing access during Oct/Nov outage, i got nowhere. Which cost me my MAC User status. He closed the ticket after several polite back and fourths and the last 2 updates i made to it received no reply and were automatically closed, not because he choose not to answer but because he had done all he could and didn't have the authority to override company policy.

I really hope you get somewhere and that they realise they made a huge mistake excluding people during that period and take responsibility that they left people with 2 choices when they couldn't provide MAC Support and those were.
    1. Don't play (which is dangerous as if you can't play then you go do something else and may not return).
    2. Find a alt route back into the game and support their metrics and spend money.
    fluffymoof wrote: »

Most likely it will involve installing Arc Client into whatever WINE bottle we currently have Steam installed. This may or may not wind up being a good thing for the WINE bottle we have STO built into.

EDIT--Take that back as STO works under a WINDOWS XP bottle and client requires 7, 8, or 10.

Ugh potentially more unwanted software to install on my harddrive. When i was using windows i pulled the launcher out the game files so i could bypass ARC.
    Post edited by misterferengi#8959 on
    edited March 2016
    UPDATE:

Arc Client is currently running for me via CrossOver, even though it is specifically a Windows XP bottle. I installed it under the same one as Steam and STO. Arc Client picked up the Steam-installed STO.

curiouser and curiouser...

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
    Yeah, Tennzor is just giving me the same song and dance: every effort was made, etc. Efforts are irrelevant if they produce an inaccurate list. I'll keep at it.
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, Tennzor is just giving me the same song and dance: every effort was made, etc. Efforts are irrelevant if they produce an inaccurate list. I'll keep at it.

Sorry to hear you ran into the same problem as me. No one at Cryptic/PWE is listening or interested.

https://i.imgur.com/TXZq85H.jpg
    Wonder when we will get a similar statement for Windows that we got about the MAC Client, Regarding the instability and quality of the client and players not being able to login due to connection issues. >:)
    Actually got a response on Twitter last night from the PWE communications manager. Said he'd discuss with the team today. We'll see if anything comes of it.
    edited March 2016
    Actually got a response on Twitter last night from the PWE communications manager. Said he'd discuss with the team today. We'll see if anything comes of it.

So they should with todays server issues Shows that the Windows client isn't all rosy and has its own quality issues. It never was a issue about the software/hardware the player was using, PC or MAC, but the lack of software and hardware investment given to the game developers by PWE

So they should with todays server issues Shows that the Windows client isn't all rosy and has its own quality issues. It never was a issue about the software/hardware the player was using, PC or MAC, but the lack of software and hardware investment given to the game developers by PWE

It was an issue of the WINE emulation layer they used on their official Mac client. The Cider layer, which PWE and many others (including the LEGO games) were using was pretty much dead in 2011 if not a hair earlier. At the time, Cider was a godsend for game developers, because all they needed to do was throw that layer around the Win binary to make it work.

Now we're seeing the issue of throwing all of your chips onto one spot of the roulette wheel. PWE, and others placed their bets on a near universal spot that guaranteed payout. Unfortunately, the wheel just hit 0 and we all lose.

And yes, it could have been done as a pure Mac application, but the reward would have to justify the risk of paying someone to do it. Would enough Mac users spend real life money to justify the hiring of a team to do an official (Xcode) Mac client? Guess we'll never know. :(

So this is weird, but it seems like the Mac client just downloaded an update. Anybody else notice that?
    edited March 2016
    So this is weird, but it seems like the Mac client just downloaded an update. Anybody else notice that?

I couldn't tell you, i've quit using the MAC Client mainly because i have no C-Store access to reclaim any ship purchases i have for Admiralty cards for a few alts missing them.

I couldn't tell you, i've quit using the MAC Client mainly because i have no C-Store access to reclaim any ship purchases i have for Admiralty cards for a few alts missing them.

I don't really have any other option yet. The PC I ordered was defective, and I'm waiting for the replacement. (I'm not overly upset about this, because it's exactly the sort of experience I expected!)

I don't really have any other option yet. The PC I ordered was defective, and I'm waiting for the replacement. (I'm not overly upset about this, because it's exactly the sort of experience I expected!)

Why not use CrossOver? Or PlayOnMac?

fluffymoof wrote: »
    Why not use CrossOver? Or PlayOnMac?

It's a 2011 Mini. The official client is playable, but just barely. Wineskin isn't playable at all, outside of stuff like chatting and playing the exchange. I didn't want to mess with a paid emulation solution just to continue a substandard experience, and I didn't want to deal with Bootcamp because I tend to switch out of the game to other apps quite a bit.

And, frankly, the Mac gaming situation is going to get worse, not better. Apple's prioritized form factor and battery life over game performance, so while the machines are excellent and I still use them for everything else, the gap in graphics performance between large desktops with discrete graphics and ultra-thing Macs with integrated graphics is just going to continue to increase. So I figured I'd resisted having a gaming PC for long enough (30 years!), and went ahead and ordered one.

I really don't blame Cryptic for their decision to drop official Mac support, especially if Cider is an orphaned product. I just wish they'd actually lived up to their promises on the zen reimbursements.
    edited March 2016
    Hey Eighrichte how did you get on with the people you spoke with on Twitter ? Any joy ? or did you get palmed off again ?

Also is anyone else running PlayOnMac and finding Dyson Ground BZ crashes to desktop intermittently. Usually when the V-Rex spawns or mid fight. Running the game on low settings with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB and 8gb ram
    Post edited by misterferengi#8959 on
  • edrogenedrogen Member Posts: 202 Arc User
    It's very late in this thread, so I'm duplicating a little for those not wanting to scroll through 17+ pages, but I still use the method I found years ago here:
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1082923/unofficial-mac-version-new-thread/p1

Once you get that loaded & working - don't stick with the WineEngine included in the wrapper, it's very old now.
    You can update the wrapper's wine engine using WineSkin Winery app, and then the wrapper's configuration app. I mention this because I don't have the issues those using PlayOnMac seem to have. The wrapper & wine engine is now pretty stable, but does crash sometimes (around once a week).
    I also configured my STO to force DX9 and disable DX11 as I've found that offers more stability.
    I run with the game graphics set pretty high (more than medium) on a MacBook Pro.
    I don't use Steam.

I suggest installing the WineLibrary app and the STO Wrapper into their own folder to keep things simple.
    Out of "the box" as downloaded the wrapper should work. To see/edit the Wine configuration for the STO wrapper itself once installed right click on the wrapper and "Show Package Contents" - inside there you can run the Wineskin.app to configure your wrapper.

About once a month I use "WineSkin Winery" to download/install a new Wine engine if there is one, then I run the Wineskin.app inside the STO wrapper to update the Wine engine that the wrapper will use to the new one. If the new Wine engine is unstable you can just go back and pick the last stable one you were using.

FYI: In documentation for the wrapper in the above link the references to http://wineskin.doh123.com are now dead and the project has officially moved to http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

This is just another alternative, hope this helps.
  • solardimensionsolardimension Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    This is horrible! It works amazingly well on my MacBook Pro. I rarely have any problems! Bring back the Mac client!!!
    Hey Eighrichte how did you get on with the people you spoke with on Twitter ? Any joy ? or did you get palmed off again ?

Nope. I got one tweet a couple days later letting me know he had started talking to people, and then radio silence. No response to my request for status.

Nope. I got one tweet a couple days later letting me know he had started talking to people, and then radio silence. No response to my request for status.

They aren't interested, banking on either we just stop playing or it all blows over. Best thing any Mac or former Mac user can do is stop financially supporting the game, i've made that decision, anything i acquire in game now is via the dil exchange.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    That or use an emulator.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Well, now that spring is here, I'd like to know when exactly they're going to shut the official STO Mac client down. That way we would at least have a firm date so we could plan accordingly.
  • warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    I'm guessing the client will cease to work after April 12 when 11.5 comes out.
  • mckurland91mckurland91 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    If you people at Arc think you can just kick us Mac users out of Starfleet, then may whatever god you believe in have mercy on your souls. As the Borg are fond of saying, "Resistance is futile!"
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,607 Arc User
    If you people at Arc think you can just kick us Mac users out of Starfleet, then may whatever god you believe in have mercy on your souls. As the Borg are fond of saying, "Resistance is futile!"

We are the Windows. Install our OS and surrender your ships. We will add your Mac hardware and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your Mac hardware will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.”
  • jaywest21jaywest21 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Well, this sucks. Since the C-Store has been disabled on the STO Mac client, it looks like we're going to miss out on the current promo giveaways unless we use Wineskin or have access to a Windows computer somewhere.
  • imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    does it really matter if you're gonna get some promotional items if you're gonna lose access to the game in its entirety soon anyway (unless you use Wine or another emulator, bootcamp, or have access to a windows machine.).