test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't get in game after patch

Comments

• Options
    newplayercoopernewplayercooper Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    well i unstall the game and not work i have set my setting to safe/low and not work so i am going to uninsatll the game

If any one here who know ben@groomofweird who play sto plz tell him that rotak@newplayercooper can not play the game any more so i might be back or never
  • Options
    captain2400captain2400 Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Tried to get on again and that darn program error popped up again I give up I'll try again when the next patch comes or whatever
  • Options
    roguewraith95roguewraith95 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Alright, I got mine working. Interestingly, I got it working by increasing the memory limit like Voiddweller said, but I also had to enable framerate stabilizers. They were default off for me. As soon as I did, it returned to normal operation. It still took me forever to actually change the setting, since I had to wade through the terrible framerate to get to it, but it's working as it should now. So thanks to Voiddweller, I never would have thought to mess with that!
  • Options
    neromoura#1969 neromoura Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I've been able to play normaly, but in times of the day that aren't crowded. My game crashed a few minutes ago and I wasn't able to log back in. So I guess my particular problem is with the server loads instead of graphic issues.
  • Options
    decker73adecker73a Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    I have also been experiencing freezes on the Character Selection screen since season 11.5 went live on one of the computers that I run STO on. This particular computer is running 32-bit Windows XP, and has a Razor Nostromo connected to it. This system has been running STO reliably since it launched.

The game does not lock up entirely. If you wait 40 seconds, it will respond briefly, but if you try to do anything with the user interface then it will usually lock up again for another 40 seconds. I have been able to get the game to log in once and gained a bit more information. The game tends to freeze under the following circumstances;

1) Displaying the Character Selection Screen
    2) Displaying the Login Screen within the Game Client (not while logging in from the Launcher). This means that if the Login2_Timeout error happens, it takes a long time to log back into the game).
    3) Displaying the Options
    4) Displaying a Contact Dialog in the game that contains an animated character.

The time I was able to log in, I was able to navigate normally around sector space and even go to the Alhena system and pick up the defense contract mission there. Upon entering the map, the contact pop-up dialog appeared with my bridge officer. After one of the 40 second hangs, I was able to advance to the next page of the dialog, where it displayed the Ferengi. It then began another round of 40 second hangs. After one of those, I was able to advance to his next page of dialog. Unfortunately I was short on time so I didn't get to test if the game ran normally after I closed that dialog.

Opening my character screen and inventory (and even swapping between impulse engines on my ship) did not cause any issues.

Does anybody else experiencing this issue run Windows XP or use an older Razor device?
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    decker73a wrote: »
    I have also been experiencing freezes on the Character Selection screen since season 11.5 went live on one of the computers that I run STO on. This particular computer is running 32-bit Windows XP, and has a Razor Nostromo connected to it. This system has been running STO reliably since it launched.

The game does not lock up entirely. If you wait 40 seconds, it will respond briefly, but if you try to do anything with the user interface then it will usually lock up again for another 40 seconds. I have been able to get the game to log in once and gained a bit more information. The game tends to freeze under the following circumstances;

1) Displaying the Character Selection Screen
    2) Displaying the Login Screen within the Game Client (not while logging in from the Launcher). This means that if the Login2_Timeout error happens, it takes a long time to log back into the game).
    3) Displaying the Options
    4) Displaying a Contact Dialog in the game that contains an animated character.

The time I was able to log in, I was able to navigate normally around sector space and even go to the Alhena system and pick up the defense contract mission there. Upon entering the map, the contact pop-up dialog appeared with my bridge officer. After one of the 40 second hangs, I was able to advance to the next page of the dialog, where it displayed the Ferengi. It then began another round of 40 second hangs. After one of those, I was able to advance to his next page of dialog. Unfortunately I was short on time so I didn't get to test if the game ran normally after I closed that dialog.

Opening my character screen and inventory (and even swapping between impulse engines on my ship) did not cause any issues.

Does anybody else experiencing this issue run Windows XP or use an older Razor device?

I use the same OS on my Bootcamp with my IMac. Mine was doing similar to what you are experiencing. Try using your options. Go to Advance settings. See if your Frame Rate Stabilizers are in the ON position. Even your Auto as well. I quickly saw differences and now can play the game. It took me nearly an hour fighting the freeze ups to finally get it.

Its worth a try.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    Hmm. a friend thinks I should uninstall then reinstall and get ARC this time I downloaded the game a long time ago, I don't know if that will work or not.
  • Options
    morrius17#4539 morrius17 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I rubber band to the point that i cant play. most of the time cant even log in anymore. then it tells me 3 out of 4 times there is a corrupt file and needs to recheck itself.
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    My wife cant even get the launcher to force verify, the patch bar sits at 0 forever and never moves, it's not her pc, our modem or router, or our isp.

She can do anything else she wants on the internet but get STO or Neverwinter's patch bars to run.

Only been this way since the season 11.5 STO update, we are on the same router, my game boots without issue, this is a Cryptic problem.

All she gets is silence.
  • Options
    Tried to get on again after this new patch and it's still doing it I'm in no mood for this bullcrap any longer
  • Options
    decker73adecker73a Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    I got the system up and running again. I reinstalled the game client, which reset the settings to "recommended defaults", which were actually the minimum graphic settings for some reason, even though the system is capable of doing much better. I started changing the settings back again, and when I changed the resolution scale, the problem returned when it reached 78%. Luckily it didn't save those settings, so I was able to close the client, re-launch it and inch the settings back up again. At around 65% the game looks decent enough and runs fairly well. It's almost as though the game isn't making full use of my graphics card. I'm going to update the Nvidia driver and see if that helps. I did run into one case where I was testing the game out in the Dyson Space Battle Zone and at one point I rotated so one of the portals filled most of my field of view and the game froze up for about 45 seconds, but then it recovered and continued to run normally.
  • Options
    lynnbelvederelynnbelvedere Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I am running Windows XP 32 bit on a Dell Optiplex GX280. I also had the freeze up after the season 11.5 update. Oddly, in order to get past the Login2_Timeout screen, I had to bring up the game, and then run something in the foreground with the game in the background in order to reach the character selection screen. I ran the Command Prompt option from the accessories tab, and kept re-entering the command tracert patchserver.crypticstudios.com For whatever reason, this let the game toddle along in the background and load up. As soon as I tried to click it into the foreground, it froze up. With some patience, I managed to enter the game, but as soon as I got that button, I put the game back into the background again, and ran the command prompt. Mind you, the command prompt may not matter, you may be able to run anything you want in the foreground, as long as STO is minimized behind it. As a final note, Voiddwellers advice to go to the Advanced option tab and turn on frame rate stabilizers and set the RAM use to auto worked for me. The game now runs along smoothly, even in areas that were frozen before now. Hopefully this will help others out there who have been suffering along with this horrid issue, whatever the root of it may be. I was afraid my computer might be too old, but reading through the forums, this has been affecting all sorts of computers, not just older setups.
  • Options
    qwe456345qwe456345 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    can't even get into the game steam client is bugged and what happened to the mac client
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    All i know is my wife has managed to actually get into the game twice since 12 april, both times it's fps hell and then crash after which the patch bar will not move at all.

If she tries to switch characters she is immediately at desktop.

We are both tired as it gets of people telling us it is client side, it isn't, the 12 April 11.5 season patch threw her out of the game, she had "no" issues previously, i still have no issues whatsoever.

She has no windows or AMD card updates available, it is not wifi/isp related, it is not security software related.

She can do "anything" else game/browser related on her desktop she wants "but" bother with STO or Neverwinter.

This is "not" client side.

This is some driver clash issue, wether it's her windows 10, a DX version or her AMD card we dont know, but something "Cryptic" did ruined her game(s) entirely.

Not only are the issues here with STO, but i also see people posting the same problems on the Neverwinter forums.

Cryptic did this, Cryptic needs to fix this.

For reference i have windows 7 and nvidia processed graphics.
  • Options
    Alright, I got mine working. Interestingly, I got it working by increasing the memory limit like Voiddweller said, but I also had to enable framerate stabilizers. They were default off for me. As soon as I did, it returned to normal operation. It still took me forever to actually change the setting, since I had to wade through the terrible framerate to get to it, but it's working as it should now. So thanks to Voiddweller, I never would have thought to mess with that!

See the problem here is one actually has to be able to "get into" the game to be able to change these settings, as they are not available in the launcher options.

• Options
    neromoura#1969 neromoura Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I've been playing fine except during certain hours of the day in which it's almost impossible to login, like now for instance. It seems my issues are simply crowded servers. Good luck to you guys.
  • Options
    fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User

See the problem here is one actually has to be able to "get into" the game to be able to change these settings, as they are not available in the launcher options.

yeah, can't fill out a ticket either!
  • Options
    Another patch tomorrow oh please let this one fox the problem I still haven't played since the 11th
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Another patch tomorrow oh please let this one fox the problem I still haven't played since the 11th

I scrolled up, i cant find what your actual issue is, a program error?, what does it say.

I have at this time "no" issues whatsoever with logging into or playing STO.

My wife is the one wading through migraine headaches with STO at the moment.

She plays on an HP Pavillion HPE desktop with an AMD 7450 Radeon card, my old esktop had an NvIdia card which after it died i replaced with an AMD.

That card was nothing but 10 miles of bad road, i swore i would never touch an AMD card again.

My current rig is an alienware that uses a GTX 560ti card, i have never had any issues with this card playing anything.

Both PCs otherwise are easily above spec reqs. for STO.

It is my "wife" who has been walled off from both STO and Neverwinter, looking around the forums we have come to the conclusion that this is most likely an AMD driver issue.

She has managed to get into STO 3 times since 12 April, when she does the fps are at best non-playable, every effort at settings tweaking improves nothing.

Her drivers cannot be rolled back, as that option is greyed out in her devices file, she will have to uninstall and reinstall her drivers completely.

Finding out wether it is AMD or Cryptic who is behind the problem will probably take a rediculous amount of effort.

I have "absolutely no" confidence whatsoever that Cryptic can do anything to solve this.

• Options
    Getting on my laptop late doing the patch now please work this time
  • Options
    Getting on my laptop late doing the patch now please work this time
    :s:s:s Ahh it's still doing it this is bullcrap god I wish I knew to upload the picture of it that I took along time ago god I am so mad I haven't been able to play since the 12th which I was playing just fine on the 11th

• Options
    Well tried to get on again after the new patch and the problem is still there think I may have to uninshall the game till I can get a new laptop or of it gets fixed finally I don't know
  • Options
    thoth36thoth36 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    April 27th's patch broke it for me, I would launch the game reach the character selection screen and as soon as a character would load I would get a instant crash to desktop.
    After trying every combination of in game settings possible nothing would enable me to log in a character. I even installed a fres copy of the game and the problem persisted.

Then I recalled that the patch notes included:
    "Resolved an issue that was causing lower performance on high end AMD CPUs.
    This should also have a small improvement for players with Intel CPUs."

After I started fiddling with the gameclient cpu affinity it finally works.
    I have a 4 core AMD cpu, after the pacth the game only works if I set the gameclient affinity to cores 1, 2 and/or 3, as soon as i enable core 0 the game crashes immediatly.
    The game runs just fine with only 3 cores enabled never getting more than 75% usage in any of them.

I'm almost 100% sure that its not a faulty core, this pc doesnt crash any other game or application, and it worked fine with STO for years before this patch.

It may be worth a try for people with similar problems to open your windows task manager go to processes, select gameclient.exe -> set affinity and try to find if any of the cores makes the game crash.

• Options
    thoth36 wrote: »
    April 27th's patch broke it for me, I would launch the game reach the character selection screen and as soon as a character would load I would get a instant crash to desktop.
    After trying every combination of in game settings possible nothing would enable me to log in a character. I even installed a fres copy of the game and the problem persisted.

Then I recalled that the patch notes included:
    "Resolved an issue that was causing lower performance on high end AMD CPUs.
    This should also have a small improvement for players with Intel CPUs."

After I started fiddling with the gameclient cpu affinity it finally works.
    I have a 4 core AMD cpu, after the pacth the game only works if I set the gameclient affinity to cores 1, 2 and/or 3, as soon as i enable core 0 the game crashes immediatly.
    The game runs just fine with only 3 cores enabled never getting more than 75% usage in any of them.

I'm almost 100% sure that its not a faulty core, this pc doesnt crash any other game or application, and it worked fine with STO for years before this patch.

It may be worth a try for people with similar problems to open your windows task manager go to processes, select gameclient.exe -> set affinity and try to find if any of the cores makes the game crash.

Hmm I may try this at some point thanks
  • Options
    Where did you have to go to find these cores?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Windows task manager Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, then select processes tab and find GameClient.exe
    right-click it and select set affinity

http://postimg.org/image/p4cn3dh1d/

• Options
    thoth36 wrote: »
    Windows task manager Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, then select processes tab and find GameClient.exe
    right-click it and select set affinity

http://postimg.org/image/p4cn3dh1d/

Thank you I'm going to try it now god I hope this works I haven't been to play since the 11th of April
  • Options
    Well um this is weird I'm not finding it
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Ok, you need to start STO before it can appear in the task manager.
    The gameclient.exe processes only appears after the laucher closes and the games starts lauching itself.
    After you press engage the next screen is a black screen that says cryptic and with a progress bar at the bottom, once you see that screen the gameclient process should be visible.
  • Options
    Ah ha