Install Arc
Options

Mac Closure Notice

Comments

• Options
    jodyhammerhandjodyhammerhand Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »

First off, STO is licensed from CBS not Paramount, if it was a Paramount license we could have JJ-verse stuff in game. Secondly, any zen you bought will still be on your account when/if you log in through a PC or windows emulator program on your Mac. Your anger is unneeded.

I don't want to engage in a flame-fest because that's certainly not the point in replying here. But you seem to be operating from a faulty premise that I (and perhaps other Mac users) will be getting a windows emulator for my Mac or a PC for gaming purposes. At this point, neither or those options are in the cards because for my non-gaming world I don't need a PC as the applications I use have Mac versions or are Mac-based, and for my gaming purposes the games I was playing were enough to satisfy. So it's not that my anger is unneeded nor would I say my disappointment is misplaced.

But I'd also point out that you miss the broader point to my posts, which is that at the end of the day, it's not as if mine or anyone else's life is over because of this decision. But because I don't need to make those kinds of hardware or software adjustments, it'll be rare if at all that I use the game after the spring. It's just a fact. Again, no snark. However if there is going to be an offer of some kind of refund, don't post a refund to a service that can't be used unless you are required to purchase new hardware or install software which may or may not allow you to play on your current hardware. And that's not an unreasonable position to take.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that on a going forward basis it doesn't really matter to bemoan this fact further. What I mean by that is the decision to shut down the Mac client has been made and I personally don't see it being re-visited. I can look at the gaming experience I did have and say that it was pleasant. I'm not carrying anyone's water here but I don't think it's prudent to expend much more energy on it. So like I said either a page or two ago, when the snow's gone and the client's shut down, I can say I had a good time.

And from a Mac hardware perspective, you can see two trains of through on the hardware. The desktops are certainly capable in terms of their gaming ability. Those machines though are designed to be robust because of what they are supposed to be doing - high end graphics work, video editing, etc. As such they can be used for gaming. But the laptops, going with their ultra-thin frames, are all about portability and on-the-spot functionality. The applications native to Mac (i.e. GarageBand) or that are pre-loaded (i.e. Final Cut Pro, Office for Mac) are meant to meet that requirement for those inclined to use something so light and thin. Simply put, the new generation of MacBooks, and I count the new Pros in this as well, are not meant to be gaming machines. But the desktops can definitely slay.
    Post edited by jodyhammerhand on
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Farewell to Mac and to all our Undiscovered Countries. 2nd star to the right and straight on till morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO2HnyhWpc4
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited February 2016

I don't want to engage in a flame-fest because that's certainly not the point in replying here. But you seem to be operating from a faulty premise that I (and perhaps other Mac users) will be getting a windows emulator for my Mac or a PC for gaming purposes. At this point, neither or those options are in the cards because for my non-gaming world I don't need a PC as the applications I use have Mac versions or are Mac-based, and for my gaming purposes the games I was playing were enough to satisfy. So it's not that my anger is unneeded nor would I say my disappointment is misplaced.

But I'd also point out that you miss the broader point to my posts, which is that at the end of the day, it's not as if mine or anyone else's life is over because of this decision. But because I don't need to make those kinds of hardware or software adjustments, it'll be rare if at all that I use the game after the spring. It's just a fact. Again, no snark. However if there is going to be an offer of some kind of refund, don't post a refund to a service that can't be used unless you are required to purchase new hardware or install software which may or may not allow you to play on your current hardware. And that's not an unreasonable position to take.

EDIT: I'd also like to add that on a going forward basis it doesn't really matter to bemoan this fact further. What I mean by that is the decision to shut down the Mac client has been made and I personally don't see it being re-visited. I can look at the gaming experience I did have and say that it was pleasant. I'm not carrying anyone's water here but I don't think it's prudent to expend much more energy on it. So like I said either a page or two ago, when the snow's gone and the client's shut down, I can say I had a good time.

And from a Mac hardware perspective, you can see two trains of through on the hardware. The desktops are certainly capable in terms of their gaming ability. Those machines though are designed to be robust because of what they are supposed to be doing - high end graphics work, video editing, etc. As such they can be used for gaming. But the laptops, going with their ultra-thin frames, are all about portability and on-the-spot functionality. The applications native to Mac (i.e. GarageBand) or that are pre-loaded (i.e. Final Cut Pro, Office for Mac) are meant to meet that requirement for those inclined to use something so light and thin. Simply put, the new generation of MacBooks, and I count the new Pros in this as well, are not meant to be gaming machines. But the desktops can definitely slay.

I see where your coming from. Laptops don't have the capacity compared to a desk top. So I can see where this is an issue for those users. That would make it more difficult to work with for certain programs.

For me I usually get a desktop (IMac), as my portable devices are usually tablets. Since they meet what I want to do with them.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    This is good news. There's no need to support an over priced and inferior platform that virtually no one uses.

If you're going to troll, do a better job of it. Apple overtook Microsoft in 2010. Apple's hardware share increased by over 16% in the 2014/2015 fiscal year. OS X is also built on Linux/Unix, which is a staple server OS in many companies.

As for pricing... what you're paying for is corporate quality, and you'd ultimately pay the same price if you bought business level systems from the PC market. There's a reason why your HP laptop cost you $400 at Best Buy.
    Troll? Seriously? Without googling, I can tell you that Apple surpassed Microsoft in total REVENUE at some point. That includes their desktops, laptops, iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple Watches, etc. etc. etc. They did not surpass microsoft in any desktop/laptop OS ownership category. Increasing THEIR OWN NUMBERS by 16% is nice, however, they did not gain an addition 16% of the total market. The last time I checked several years ago they didn't have anywhere near 16% of the total market so your 16% point is meh. And as another poster already pointed out, I was obviously referring to the fact that virtually no one uses Macs to play games. They are overpriced and inferior when it comes to games, and most other things. You sir are the one that should improve your trolling.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »
    If that's what Apple is doing, then I can see the merit in discontinuing Mac support, if Apple is discontinuing gaming support through inferior-quality products.

Well, it's a big leap from "Apple has prioritized size, weight, and power consumption over gaming support" to "inferior quality." They have definitely decided to emphasize ever-thinner, ever-lighter, ever-more-power-efficient machines, and these priorities do require that they use integrated graphics. I believe at this point the only machine they sell that even has discrete graphics is the Mac Pro, and that's just complete overkill for the vast majority of users.

Whether this translates to "inferior quality" depends entirely on your priorities. If you feel that the ability of a computer to play games well is what determines its quality, then sure. If that's not particularly important to you, but featherweight razor-thin design is, then you probably consider them to be of pretty high quality.

Regardless, the decision is what it is. My guess is that they signed up with Transgaming to get a Mac port made with Cider and continuing support from then on, which ended when Transgaming's emulation business was sold to Nvidia. With nobody to maintain the wrapper, and no in-house Mac expertise, it was just a matter of time before the client started depending on Windows features that weren't available in Cider. Mac game engineers are hard to hire -- Blizzard is constantly searching for them with very little success. Arguing over whether it should have been cancelled is probably a waste of time that could better be used helping people who want to keep playing find ways to do so.
  • Options
    jodyhammerhandjodyhammerhand Member Posts: 33 Arc User

First off, STO is licensed from CBS not Paramount, if it was a Paramount license we could have JJ-verse stuff in game. Secondly, any zen you bought will still be on your account when/if you log in through a PC or windows emulator program on your Mac. Your anger is unneeded.

Well my post had two points, first to correct a misperception you had about Paramount being involved in this game, and second to inform you that there are options for you to still use the zen you purchased, nothing more. If you choose not to take advantage of these options that is your choice. I know that if I had spent 200 dollars on zen I and was then unable to use the c-store I would very much like to find out there was still a way to access and use this zen for the game. At any rate, be well, and good journey.

I don't know where people are assuming I've spent that kind of money. I've gone through my post history and I certainly haven't posted what I've put down out of my own pocket. And PWE certainly hasn't posted my transaction history. If folks are conflating/combining my posts with someone else's to make a broader point or fan the flames, I'd rather that wasn't the case because I can misrepresent myself and fan the flames just fine on my own thanks.

But going back to it, the ship has sailed and come the the spring it's been fun.
  • Options
    groselicaingroselicain Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I have to ask—davefenestrator, are you going out of your way to be a shill?

I can't understand why people who aren't affected by this seem to wander into the discussion just to be difficult.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,539 Arc User
    I have to ask—davefenestrator, are you going out of your way to be a shill?

I can't understand why people who aren't affected by this seem to wander into the discussion just to be difficult.

No. I happen to be a (Windows) application software developer at a company that has one application with both Windows and Mac versions, and other applications where we've had to say no to years of requests for Mac versions because we'd lose money on them. I use a Mac Mini now and then for testing but my brother is the Mac guy in the family.

I don't consider my posts in this thread "being difficult." I have not insulted Macs or Mac users, I've simply tried to point out that PWE/Cryptic is a business, and for a business losing money is not a good thing. I hoped to improve people's understanding of the decision, that it was not "laziness" as some said, nor malice or stupidity as some implied.

I've also been using virtual machine software and dual-booting OSs (on Windows) for over a decade so I tried to answer a few questions about the difference between the two.

I have no connection with Cryptic, I just enjoy playing STO.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    A government research program to get the US to the Moon before Soviet Russia is not the same as a gaming company that tries to make a Star Trek game for profit.

It's something that applies to way more than just government moon projects and Star Trek video games, though. To strive for mediocrity is wasted potential. Cryptic has potential. I dislike seeing them waste that potential.
    Meh. You're just using some nice sound bytes. They might be sufficient to describe a general approach, but how they actually apply to a situation with most factors unknown...

Why did the US just shoot for the Moon? Why not Mars? Why not Alpha Centauri?
    You still need to pick an achievable goal.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    groselicaingroselicain Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    No. I happen to be a (Windows) application software developer

Then what business is this of yours?
    I don't consider my posts in this thread "being difficult."

You might not, but I get the feeling that's just your attitude. I took some time to read back over every post you've made in this thread, and not once have you posted something unargumentative. It's as if you came here looking to be an issue where there's already an issue. In fact, I looked through all your posts in this forum, and you seem to have a bent for this sort of thing—smug, unhelpful, and ultimately frustrating posts in threads that didn't really concern you.
    I've simply tried to point out that PWE/Cryptic is a business...

You're right, they are. You know what businesses are capable of? They're capable of defending themselves. Let Cryptic do that. They don't need you, the Windows application software developer with a crusader mentality, to make sense of their decisions to us, the unwashed masses. Regardless of the reason behind their decision, their handling was poor at best. I didn't know anything about this because it didn't even get mentioned in the Star Trek Online client—just a lowly, easily missable post on a forum. On top of that, 24 hours notice? The administrators and moderators can balk at that number all they want, but it is what it is.

[Unnecessary & inflamatory comment modded]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    of course they release the T6 Oddy when they cancel the Mac service
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    eighrichte wrote: »
    Whether this translates to "inferior quality" depends entirely on your priorities. If you feel that the ability of a computer to play games well is what determines its quality, then sure. If that's not particularly important to you, but featherweight razor-thin design is, then you probably consider them to be of pretty high quality.

Well, the context is playing STO (or really any modern computer game). That's the priority. If Apple doesn't care about serving the market of customers that want a machine to play video games, then to that market, they'll be producing inferior-quality products.

If that's the case, then I can see the justification in terminating Mac support, because Apple isn't even willing to meet video game developers halfway. I'm not unreasonable, there has to be some good faith efforts on both sides. If nVidia suddenly decided they wanted to move away from graphics cards and wanted to concentrate on developing motherboards, I could see justification in video game developers focusing their compatability testing with AMD products even if there were still a lot of nVidia graphics card users.
    A government research program to get the US to the Moon before Soviet Russia is not the same as a gaming company that tries to make a Star Trek game for profit.

It's something that applies to way more than just government moon projects and Star Trek video games, though. To strive for mediocrity is wasted potential. Cryptic has potential. I dislike seeing them waste that potential.
    Meh. You're just using some nice sound bytes. They might be sufficient to describe a general approach, but how they actually apply to a situation with most factors unknown...

Why did the US just shoot for the Moon? Why not Mars? Why not Alpha Centauri?
    You still need to pick an achievable goal.

A sound byte that has real world applications, something that's taught as more than just a sound byte. Why did the US shoot for the moon? To stick it to the Russians. That's all it was. Any notion of scientific exploration was a secondary goal to the Kennedy administration tackling the issue of communist expansion. If the communists did something amazing, then Americans felt that capitalists could do it better. In other words, "the right thing to do", in JFK's opinion.

If you start viewing everything as something to be a profitable net gain, then you start marginalizing more and more people as insignifigant to the goal of increasing that net gain. If you don't do something just because you feel it's the right thing to do from time to time, then you start disenfranchising people who originally had faith in you and your ideas.

It's as applicable to PWE/Cryptic as it is to any other company, or any government institution.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I would have thought a company that likes to think of itself as innovative and a market leader would have jumped all over the gaming market when MMO's start popping up everywhere. It would have been a greater selling point for the iMac. However Apple do take themselves a little to seriously and i guess they want people to think of a iMac as the productive PC and not a games console.
    However if its a so called inferior product why develop and include a feature to easily allow your iMac to install and run Windows on it. And start using compatible hardware to run both OS i.e intel processors. I understand its a lot harder to go the other way and install Mac OS on a Windows PC

Apple is not an inferior machine it just targets a different area of the market and thats business and productivity.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,539 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    [Reaction to moderated comment modded out]
  • Options
    cyberwolf001cyberwolf001 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Perfect World Entertainment is run by crooks. I bought a Lifetime Membership in June 2015 and then get this big F*** You from PWE. I do plan to buy a gaming PC in the future, but there is no f-ing way I will play any games associated with PWE. Further I will go out of my way to tell anyone who will listen how crooked this company is.
  • Options
    fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    Just as an FYI, Star Trek Online works under CodeWeaver's CrossOver app. I installed STO through Steam and it's going better than the native Mac client. I actually wound up sending several full crash reports to try and help the issues with the Mac client, but I guess the solution is to remove it.

Since I'm apparently too young to post links on the forums, you'll have to search for CrossOver for Mac. Hopefully, this can help people trying to transition.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Take that Apple! - This message brought to you by Microsoft and BlackBerry.

Take that Windows! This message is brought to you a Mac user with dual OS.

lMAO Gee sucks to have to reboot to another OS to play a game then when you quit have to reboot to do anything else. Love being able to not only run STO but Photoshop and every thing else with one OS instead of having to have disc space eaten up by two Os's. Much love and real gamers play on PC's from a Win10 Pc user.
  • Options
    Good riddence to Mac's maybe we will have fewer lag issues now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Here's some food-for-thought: Mac would be a great operating system overall if it wasn't for Steve Job's paranoia and forcing the platform on hardware that is proprietary and subpar. It's a shame that this has to be done, but with everything being so severely closed-source I can understand the move behind it.

Nope, Windows is Subpar due to easily hackers, worms, virus, and other bad stuff to ruin your day. This was the reason why I went to Mac. I don't need any protection, hadn't ran any since the early 2000s.

Don't forget that famous OS Windows came out with. So bad that the customers was "upgrading" to older software cause it was more reliable.

You are an idiot not running any protection. And do you know why Pc's are attacked more? It has nothing to do with the OS but market share. When a platform has 97% of the global market yes it's going to gather attention. So yeah keep boasting about not needing protection you'll be the first to scream when you get attacked or virused so keep living in LaLa land that you are immune to an attack.
    Second yeah well Apple isn't that great either I guess you forgot about a computer so bad that came in fruity colors couldn't be upgraded or cheaply repaired and on occasion melted. And how about those Iphones that by holding them normaly the signal would get blocked? Yeah quality products LOL.
  • Options
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Take that Apple! - This message brought to you by Microsoft and BlackBerry.

Take that Windows! This message is brought to you a Mac user with dual OS.

lMAO Gee sucks to have to reboot to another OS to play a game then when you quit have to reboot to do anything else. Love being able to not only run STO but Photoshop and every thing else with one OS instead of having to have disc space eaten up by two Os's. Much love and real gamers play on PC's from a Win10 Pc user.

It don't suck at all. Most of the time I'm playing, I don't do stuff on the side anyways. I'm not like other players who can sit and live on the computer for hours on end. So I make the most out of it. So I don't have time to play around while its running at the same time.

Besides the reboot isn't that bad. Only takes a couple of minutes. More enough time to hit the restroom real quick, or go for a snack and drink. So by the time I'm back, I'm ready to play.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    You are an idiot not running any protection. And do you know why Pc's are attacked more? It has nothing to do with the OS but market share. When a platform has 97% of the global market yes it's going to gather attention. So yeah keep boasting about not needing protection you'll be the first to scream when you get attacked or virused so keep living in LaLa land that you are immune to an attack.
    Second yeah well Apple isn't that great either I guess you forgot about a computer so bad that came in fruity colors couldn't be upgraded or cheaply repaired and on occasion melted. And how about those Iphones that by holding them normaly the signal would get blocked? Yeah quality products LOL.

The hate is strong with this troll.

• Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User

The hate is strong with this troll.

Perhaps, but the security aspect is correct. OS X has little to no advantage over Windows if you do run into a virus - it's just that you're less likely to do so.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    cpnbradharriscpnbradharris Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    All the Mac users are complaining about the game being shutdown & I'm over here like "Yay, I get over $200 back on my lifetime subscription." BTW, Anyone know when those refunds are happening?
  • Options
    xaviermace86xaviermace86 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    OK, I've been trying not to post in this thread, but it keeps going on so I have to ask. To all of you who think they should continue supporting Mac's, have you never noticed how few games (compared to Windows) are available on Mac? And of the ones that are, how many were ported by a 3rd party company (Aspyr anyone?)? Has it occurred to you that there's a reason for that?

I get this sucks for the people who were using their Mac client. I really do. But honestly I was shocked they released one in the first place. As davefenestrator tried to explain, Mac's do not make up enough of the PC market share in general (to say nothing of gaming specifically) to make developing and supporting a Mac client economically feasible. Especially when your application wasn't developed to be multiplatform compatible from the start.

It doesn't matter how much or how little money Cryptic/PWE is making overall. A product that's losing money is a product that's losing money. There's a limit to how long any company will continue producing/supporting a product they aren't making money on (History Lesson: Microsoft cancelled their MAC version of Office once previously for this reason). I'm sorry for you guys who played on a Mac, but as a Mac user you should honestly be used to getting the short end of the stick when it comes to software, games in particular.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Good riddence to Mac's maybe we will have fewer lag issues now.

You sir have just won most idiotic post of this thread. Congratulations. A big shiny new bridge for you to troll under is on its way to Troll Valley, Far Far Away Land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBBdyVQchWQ
    Post edited by misterferengi#8959 on