test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mac Closure Notice

Comments

• lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    Steam is not an answer for us, as it's using the same Mac client.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    lazarx wrote: »

Will it work if you use one of the Windows apps or Bootcamp?
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,607 Arc User
    farmallm wrote: »

Bootcamp is a way to run Windows "natively" just like you had bought a Windows PC. So any and every Windows app should work including both the Arc and Steam launchers.

Bootcamp is the best way to run aside from the extra disk space and needing to switch away from OS X. With Bootcamp, Windows runs directly on the real hardware and at 100% speed.

WINE and its variants run in OS X and add a layer between OS X and the program that tries to act like Windows but can't do it with 100% accuracy.

VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox create an imaginary computer with virtual hardware. It then runs real Windows but the Windows sees fake hardware devices that are created by the VM software. So the speed is slower and the graphics card seen by Windows is not your real one.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User

Bootcamp is a way to run Windows "natively" just like you had bought a Windows PC. So any and every Windows app should work including both the Arc and Steam launchers.

Bootcamp is the best way to run aside from the extra disk space and needing to switch away from OS X. With Bootcamp, Windows runs directly on the real hardware and at 100% speed.

WINE and its variants run in OS X and add a layer between OS X and the program that tries to act like Windows but can't do it with 100% accuracy.

VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox create an imaginary computer with virtual hardware. It then runs real Windows but the Windows sees fake hardware devices that are created by the VM software. So the speed is slower and the graphics card seen by Windows is not your real one.

What about playonmac and abacus?
    raj011 wrote: »

One Mac user is testing playonmac with his. Last I heard had good results for now. Like Dave said and I said before, Bootcamp is the best way to go.

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,607 Arc User
    PlayOnMac = WINE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayOnMac

CrossOver = WINE. WineBottler = WINE. Abacus probably = WINE but a Google search didn't turn up this app at all.

edited February 2016

One Mac user is testing playonmac with his. Last I heard had good results for now. Like Dave said and I said before, Bootcamp is the best way to go.

I would use bootcamp on the Mac but the Mac belongs to my brother so at the moment Bootcamp is not an option. Thank you and davefenestrator anyway.
  • misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I;ve been playing with PlayOnMac for several days now and it seems find. I've had the odd crash to desktop daily. But no more than once a day, twice yesterday. So seems stable enough. Also my key binds that were going wacky with the Wine Wrapper are having no issues in PlayOnMac.

So in a nutshell all appears to be ok which is good as i still haven't figured out yet how to update my Win 7 drivers to allow me to complete the bootcamp installation to get a working Keyboard and Mouse, but tbh that is fine as i've decided that i'm not installing Windows just to run STO as thats all i'd use it for.
    I;ve been playing with PlayOnMac for several days now and it seems find. I've had the odd crash to desktop daily. But no more than once a day, twice yesterday. So seems stable enough. Also my key binds that were going wacky with the Wine Wrapper are having no issues in PlayOnMac.

So in a nutshell all appears to be ok which is good as i still haven't figured out yet how to update my Win 7 drivers to allow me to complete the bootcamp installation to get a working Keyboard and Mouse, but tbh that is fine as i've decided that i'm not installing Windows just to run STO as thats all i'd use it for.

Good, I'm glad you can still play.

Once I get my new IMac, and I can't get it to work on bootcamp for some reason. I may have to try this one.

I have installed playonmac on the Mac and when I install Arc, it does not work. I have then installed Perfect World International since it was on the list of installed programs under the game section and that does not work either. So I have now installed steam through playonmac and now in the process of downloading patches for STO. Which program did you install?
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    > @misterferengi#8959 said:
    > I;ve been playing with PlayOnMac for several days now and it seems find. I've had the odd crash to desktop daily. But no more than once a day, twice yesterday. So seems stable enough. Also my key binds that were going wacky with the Wine Wrapper are having no issues in PlayOnMac.
    >
    > So in a nutshell all appears to be ok which is good as i still haven't figured out yet how to update my Win 7 drivers to allow me to complete the bootcamp installation to get a working Keyboard and Mouse, but tbh that is fine as i've decided that i'm not installing Windows just to run STO as thats all i'd use it for.

I've been playing under CrossOver. Outside of major graphic issues under the first few Romulan quests (the instanced part), I have had no major issues at all. And it's cheaper than getting a Windows license. CrossOver has been more stable than the "native Mac client." I installed it via Steam, so your mileage may vary if you do it another way.

Curious Post-Script: If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with - the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Stop feeding the ones that you believe are trolls. If you feel the post in question is enough to violate the Terms of Service for the Arc boards, please feel free to immediately slam the "flag" button instead of giving in to temptation and adding a comment to incite more trolling.
    Post edited by fluffymoof on
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!

I have installed playonmac on the Mac and when I install Arc, it does not work. I have then installed Perfect World International since it was on the list of installed programs under the game section and that does not work either. So I have now installed steam through playonmac and now in the process of downloading patches for STO. Which program did you install?

Now I have steam installed on playonmac and downloaded STO after about 3 hours later. Now the issue I am having is that when I sign in it loads the game, goes to the New Dawn image, says it is loading and nothing after that. This is getting very disappointing. Any helpful information would be great.
    Raj, you might just need to give it time. If it doesn't start after a few minutes, force quit and login again.

The initial startup was what kept frustrating me on CrossOver. If it froze, I gave it time and force quit when I knew it wouldn't work. The second time around, it did everything correctly.

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter

Now I have steam installed on playonmac and downloaded STO after about 3 hours later. Now the issue I am having is that when I sign in it loads the game, goes to the New Dawn image, says it is loading and nothing after that. This is getting very disappointing. Any helpful information would be great.

You have bad timing. The game is currently experiencing issues from DDoS attacks so most people are having the same issue you are, Mac or no Mac. Hopefully you can try again once they've sorted this issue.
    ​​
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    So, I was able to instal Windows on my Mac via Boot Camp, and get STO up and running.

The setup process is relatively easy, but you will need a $120 Windows license key, and an 8 GB flash drive. The Boot Camp Assistant in the OS X utility helps you build the installer onto the flash drive, and helps you easily partition your hard drive. Once Windows is up and running, you'll have to install the Boot Camp Utility (included when you set up the flash drive). It installs the Windows drivers for your Mac's hardware... but (surprise), something went weird on the installer. (It's a pretty easy fix, though. It has to do with the Realtek Audio driver, and a quick Google search showed me how to fix it.) It's incredible... I'm on Windows for 10 minutes, and I'm immediately reminded of why I stopped using Windows.

I will say, though, now that I have the game running on Windows.... WOW, the Mac client was TRIBBLE POOR. No longer crashing or freezing between load screens. No longer freezing upon quitting the game. No CTDs in heavy combat, even though you're running medium/low graphics settings. The PC userbase has no idea how bad the Mac users had it. The Cider wrapper was a truly bad idea, IMHO.

Windows also runs great on my Mac, so any PCer who tries to say that your "overpriced aluminum toy" sucks... cram it. :tongue:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

I installed Steam and downloaded STO via Steam. Then created a shortcut which PlayOnMAC will allow you to do so i can just click on STO and bypass PlayOnMac and Steam
    edited February 2016
    fluffymoof wrote: »
    Raj, you might just need to give it time. If it doesn't start after a few minutes, force quit and login again.

The initial startup was what kept frustrating me on CrossOver. If it froze, I gave it time and force quit when I knew it wouldn't work. The second time around, it did everything correctly.

It is working now, waited even longer, over 5 minutes. Once I sorted the graphics and display it is running like normal, when I use to play on a pc. Now I can get the T6 Fed Flagship bundle. Once we have new Microsoft computer, I am moving back to playing STO on that. Do not get my wrong I like both Apple computers and the standard computers, each has advantages and disadvantages.
    edited February 2016

I installed Steam and downloaded STO via Steam. Then created a shortcut which PlayOnMAC will allow you to do so i can just click on STO and bypass PlayOnMac and Steam

I did the other way around, installed playonmac, installed Arc, did not work, installed Perfect World International, did not work either then installed steam through playonmac then on steam downloaded STO. Now it is working.
    fluffymoof wrote: »

It is working now, waited even longer, over 5 minutes. Once I sorted the graphics and display it is running like normal, when I use to play on a pc. Now I can get the T6 Fed Flagship bundle. Once we have new Microsoft computer, I am moving back to playing STO on that. Do not get my wrong I like both Apple computers and the standard computers, each has advantages and disadvantages.

Yeah, I don't know why, but that initial setup takes longer than it should.

Another odd quirk is the initial Romulan campaign (the instanced piece before you get to the galactic map) had a bunch of graphic artifacts. I am still unsure as to why.

BTW, I put up a HOW TO in General. Anyone with experience with PlayOnMac can help by detailing the steps under PlayOnMac.

• argelian2014argelian2014 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Windows also runs great on my Mac, so any PCer who tries to say that your "overpriced aluminum toy" sucks... cram it. :tongue:

The iMac runs Windows better than machines built for windows... I tried bootcamp on my new iMac with the fusion drive... and derped up my HD so badly that I had to re-build it from scratch and I lost *everything*... I do have a backup system as well but that derped out too

Now I'm playing the windows STO client via crossover (commercial software for macs to run the majority of windows apps w/o windows)... I used to play it in Parallels but something happened and made parallels CTD.
    Decided to ask Support a silly question which i already know/guess what the answer is to.

Seeings as i have opt'ed out of a Life Time Sub refund does this also mean any Zen purchases made from October are also forfieted ?

I can see the response being yes as you have decided to opt out of a LTS refund this also includes Zen.

Will update when official response comes back. I'm assuming they'll take the opt out as a sign that you are continuing to play so not entitled to a refund.
  • obadiah001obadiah001 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thank you for the how to. Used PlayOnMac and Steam, other than taking me half the day it seems to have worked. I just keep getting stuck at the loading screen. Let it sit for +15 minutes a few times. Haven't actually made it to the character selection screen yet.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Well the Windows version is performing about as well as I expected. It gets stuck right at the STO loading screen (just after the Cryptic loading screen) then just sits there like a stoner who's too high to reach for the cupcake on the table. Craptastic.

If you read any of the news you would know it was due to a DDOS attack on Neverwinter that started on Firday. Never winter for some reason shares the same server as STO. Windows had nothing to do with it.
  • buddhabotbuddhabot Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Where exactly is your Arc Account Balance? Since the C-Store is offline, where would I find this Zen balance since I'm waiting for the refunds. This'll determine if I'm going to even attempt to keep playing (by doing bootcamp) or just giving up on this if they don't keep their word.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    buddhabot wrote: »
    Where exactly is your Arc Account Balance? Since the C-Store is offline, where would I find this Zen balance since I'm waiting for the refunds. This'll determine if I'm going to even attempt to keep playing (by doing bootcamp) or just giving up on this if they don't keep their word.

https://billing.arcgames.com/en/history
  • buddhabotbuddhabot Member Posts: 8 Arc User

That shows me what I've purchased, but not my current balance.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    So I got credited $80 but since I have a mac I can't play the other games....?????
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Oh look. The classic "why I switched to Mac" story.

Oh look. The classic "why I I want a Mac cause I'm Jealous"story. Funny part, my cousin at his IT contracting company fixes Windows using a Mac. Head to your nearest Apple store, I'm sure they will hook you right on up with a new Mac.
    My "Classic" comment was at least descriptive and accurate. Yours is just plain silly and based on nothing. Perhaps it was an attempt at being funny but it falls flat.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited February 2016
    buddhabot wrote: »

That shows me what I've purchased, but not my current balance.

If you are on STO and you want to find out how much zen you have, go to the Dil exchange. It will have the total balance of zen you would have.