Install Arc
Options

What am I doing wrong? Having difficult time with the Time and Tide mission

124»

Comments

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    OP, please check your Traits and Specializations. I found mine have been removed or changed at random from time to time. Went back and reloaded the ones I use and found the new mission to be a lot more enjoyable. I have no idea why this game does this or what causes it to occur. But I do know a level 60 char in a T6 ship should not have too much difficulty successfully completing this mission. Provided the Ship, BOffs, gear, and the like are set up the way you want them to be and you were successful with the same ship in previous missions.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I said TRIBBLE it after fiddling around in the mission for an hour and not getting by the ship fights...so you are not alone. I am just going to do the Q daily Omega mini game to collect the 1000 vouchers.

OK, spent a bit of time on my character and had success on the second run of the mission.
    These are changes I made:

1.) Went through traits and updated, as necessary, with REP traits. I believe THIS makes the biggest difference.

I only recently finished some of the Rep on this character and had access to newer traits. Now, I know to add traits that help with the hull because: I am in a BoP (T-5, actually...the one I got with ship token for leveling). I am not sure about your Fed ships.

2.) Upgraded shields from Mk 10 to Mk 13. I had missed upgrading shields. This explains some of the issues I was having with them dying so quickly on me in the previous run.

This is a Covariant CapX2, Regen, Purple from Delta Recruit level up boxes. Could not find a better one in the Exchange, so, I made use of some upgrade tokens that were sitting in my account bank. I must have missed upgrading shields, previously, since the warp core and deflector were up to Mk 12, already. I thought I had upgraded all the Delta Recruit's stuff.

3.) Swapped weapons out: disruptors to antiproton; cannons to beams. BUT only because I had so much of those saved in the bank.

Saved from the prize boxes for leveling Rep...I saved anything that was Mk 12 Purples. I had 3 Radiant Anti Proton dual beam banks (Iconian Rep) and 2 Withering Photon Torpedoes (Terran Rep)....plus added the Ancient Omni (catching dust in bank because I was using disruptors). Of course, bought Tac consoles for Antiprotons.

4.) Retrained BOFFs and reorganized the Stations to focus on Beams vice cannons. Don't forget to do this if you switch.

5.) Added the Kobali Regenerative Integrity Field console for Hull....and dug up the Plasmotic leech console. All saved from ships I needed to activate for Admiralty.

BoP has only 9 console slots so....I am probably going to remove the Leech for something else (probably torp consoles) eventually. Plasmotic leech was most likely OVERKILL, anyways. I wanted to try it on a KDF character....and I was pretty ticked I failed the mission the first time.

I usually use Leech on the Rom because she definitely has power issues.

Hope this helps.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    thorlin325thorlin325 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Thanks again for all of the advice. I finally beat this mission. You were right, my traits and specializations had been reset, so I fixed those, then went back to the Dyson ship, which I felt more comfortable playing. I probably under-stated how long I have been away from the game....probably since last anniversary. I played a lot when the game first came out, then get back in every once in a while. I don't have any 14 level gear at all, and forget where to buy the better weapons, shields, etc. Sorry for being such a noob, and thanks for the input.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    amazing how much those traits can frak you up aint it?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    amazing how much those traits can frak you up aint it?

Even more amazing than that is the time it takes Cryptic to finally fix it! :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    nepsthen wrote: »
    No problems here. BFaW, EPtW, TS, Unstable Warp Bubble, and Ionic Turbulence. As people are saying, if you're targeting individual ships, they can make a clone that you have to kill before damaging it. Because of how abilities work and how endgame missions are set up, it's easier to just do AoE attacks. You might want to check your passive abilities if you haven't logged in for a while, since they reset them since the ground and space split, leaving your characters empty. Also make sure your ship level is maxed out to get the bonuses from that as well. And pick one energy weapon type, etc.

Ionic Turbulence means you're flying a top-tier ship that requires either a high-level fleet or 3000 zen. Do you think it's just marginally possible, maybe, that some people may not be using gear like that?
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    farranor wrote: »
    Ionic Turbulence means you're flying a top-tier ship that requires either a high-level fleet or 3000 zen. Do you think it's just marginally possible, maybe, that some people may not be using gear like that?

Not every player is a hardcore who spends yonks of cash and time getting the top level everything?

inconceivable.jpg
    <3
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Just seems the people in here who are complaining about this taking too long or its too hard, may have some serious setup issues or the level difficulty setting is on elite. I could run this in my shuttle craft and complete it.

Check your difficulty setting, make sure you have weapons equipped on your ship and power levels for weapons are maxed :P

Nateham where do you find the difficulty setting at lol it has been awhile
  • Options
    ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    Well, leaving it on Elite difficulty sure makes a difference. Not because I get defeated but that the fights drag out to 30 minutes or more. In terms of a quick turn around to get the mission rewards this is sub-optimal - and it was very late when I tried and I literally was falling asleep in the fights.
  • Options
    zombieman149zombieman149 Member Posts: 29 New User
    > @kodachikuno said:
    > hmm also check your traits... I had an issue recently where all my traits had been unslotted.

same here
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    thorlin325 wrote: »
    Thanks again for all of the advice. I finally beat this mission. You were right, my traits and specializations had been reset, so I fixed those, then went back to the Dyson ship, which I felt more comfortable playing. I probably under-stated how long I have been away from the game....probably since last anniversary. I played a lot when the game first came out, then get back in every once in a while. I don't have any 14 level gear at all, and forget where to buy the better weapons, shields, etc. Sorry for being such a noob, and thanks for the input.

I have found for my normal solo play, I do not need Mk 14 (yet), and I have not done (or even thought about) the dance to upgrade to Gold/Mk 14. But then I am not going for any DPS or speed records. I am content playing and trying stuff on my own...not interested in queued content.

I can collect purple gear, these days. Buying them at or upgrading to Mk 12, for the most part. If I have enough upgrade tokens and DL I will upgrade to Mk 13 or 14. I do not fiddle with getting the "perfect" modifiers...that is a gamble, it is boring and I am not willing to play that game.

It is so much easier (and cheaper) to obtain Mk 12 purples, than before they added crafting. It is even easier, now, with the addition of Admiralty. So, do not skip out on these new parts of the game.

At least, find someone who will craft items for you. In your fleet, maybe?

P.S. there are even more traits you can gain from upgrading all the schools in crafting to level 15, if you did not know....but that is a long boring grind, like specialization. But traits is where everything is at, these days....even added them to ships.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I completed the mission last night for the first time without much difficulty with my level 60 KDF sci toon flying the 2014 Anniversary DSD that has been updated to T5U (which is free).

The only special console I had on it is a Plasmonic Leech. Other than that this particular toon has what would be considered "sub-par" blue (rare) Mk XII polaron beam weapons and photon torpedoes along with blue Mk XII polaron tactical consoles. I have weapons and tactical consoles that I am working on upgrading, but I don't plan on equipping them until they are at least ultra rare Mk XIV.

I have somewhat recently gotten back into playing STO again (mid Dec 2015 for the Winter Event) and I have not really played much ground / space combat missions / queues since June / July 2015 so I consider myself to be a bit rusty. As others have already stated, you should checkout the space (and ground) traits you have assigned to your toon; it was a nice surprise coming back to STO to find that space and ground traits have been separated and you can slot nine traits for each category. Naturally, it would be best to select traits that best suits your ship / weapons / combat style.

I would have to say the starships you face in this mission does provide a bit more of a challenge compared other main story missions; I can't remember the last main story mission I played, but it was back in March / April 2015. If you are still having difficulty, then perhaps do a search for the mission on Youtube for some pointers / see what abilities enemy ship are using against the player and see what you have that can counter them.