test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PSA: Anniversary daily giveaways start 1-26

Comments

• Options
    sylveriareldensylveriarelden Member Posts: 531 Arc User
    I'm expecting them to continue to give little things like the spec points away- because free ships and so forth would dig into their Zen sales for T6 ships and so forth, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do indeed offer anything outside of "little things".

Pure speculation, of course- but all any of us can do at this point is speculate, since at the end of the day they are in complete control over what they choose to release and what they don't.
    It's not you- it's me. I just need my space.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    I'm expecting them to continue to give little things like the spec points away- because free ships and so forth would dig into their Zen sales for T6 ships and so forth, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do indeed offer anything outside of "little things".

Pure speculation, of course- but all any of us can do at this point is speculate, since at the end of the day they are in complete control over what they choose to release and what they don't.

at this early stage in the giveaway event I would not rule out ships altogether but I doubt any they give away would be T6 but hey T5 or t4 is nice also especially with the account unlock and admiralty system to benefit.
    don't forget we will be getting a T6 ship from the anniversary event in any case.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options

at this early stage in the giveaway event I would not rule out ships altogether but I doubt any they give away would be T6 but hey T5 or t4 is nice also especially with the account unlock and admiralty system to benefit.
    don't forget we will be getting a T6 ship from the anniversary event in any case.

I wouldn't exactly call it "free"- you still have to earn anniversary tokens to get it. More like they're offering another mission reward, which isn't quite the same. But yeah, I follow your logic.

It wouldn't even have to be T6, as you pointed out- and if it's T5U capable that would be even better (unlike the Ambassador class, for example) but I'm definitely not holding my breath on them releasing ships.

Being critical doesn't take skill. Being constructively critical- which is providing alternative solutions or suggestions to a demonstrated problem, however, does.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I wouldn't exactly call it "free"- you still have to earn anniversary tokens to get it. More like they're offering another mission reward, which isn't quite the same. But yeah, I follow your logic.

It wouldn't even have to be T6, as you pointed out- and if it's T5U capable that would be even better (unlike the Ambassador class, for example) but I'm definitely not holding my breath on them releasing ships.

quite true about the tokens but if I don't have to pull out the credit card to pay for it in my eyes its free.
    this is even more true when the tokens are not the only reason to play the mission as is the case with the anniversary event where you also get the Omega Trace for crafting Omega Upgrade Kits.

it would hardly be something radical for them to give away some ships, after all most of the giveaway events have had ships in them.
    whether they will be ships they have given away before or not is another matter.

• Options

it would hardly be something radical for them to give away some ships, after all most of the giveaway events have had ships in them.
    whether they will be ships they have given away before or not is another matter.

I agree that it's not "radical", but they also didn't have a previously exclusive Zen-only ship purchasing Tier, either- that's why I pointed out that it would likely cut into their Zen sales.

At the end of the day- all we can do is watch and wait, and I'd love to eat my words if I'm wrong here.

• Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    I wish they'd just publish the full giveaway schedule now, so I'd know on which days I will and will not be giving a TRIBBLE. I don't see the benefit of doling out the information piecemeal, unless daily forum login metrics are also somehow valuable to someone.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I agree that it's not "radical", but they also didn't have a previously exclusive Zen-only ship purchasing Tier, either- that's why I pointed out that it would likely cut into their Zen sales.

At the end of the day- all we can do is watch and wait, and I'd love to eat my words if I'm wrong here.

don't exactly know what you mean by "exclusive Zen-only ship purchasing Tier" but from a previous give away the T5 Ar'kif Retrofit was previously 1500zen, the T5 Marauder Patrol Cruiser was 1500zen and the T5 Excelsior was 2000zen in the c-store.
    hanover2 wrote: »
    I wish they'd just publish the full giveaway schedule now, so I'd know on which days I will and will not be giving a TRIBBLE. I don't see the benefit of doling out the information piecemeal, unless daily forum login metrics are also somehow valuable to someone.

you don't really need to "login" just visit the page and take a look, that takes all of 2 minutes.

• Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Thx for the spec points! Now we just need an XP weekend. :D
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User

Well per character that had not claimed this item last time. Still free is free and I had a couple newish toons.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Even if you claimed it last time you can claim again. Just did so on all twelve of my characters as I did on 10/25.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    bloodyriz wrote: »

Well per character that had not claimed this item last time. Still free is free and I had a couple newish toons.​​

consumable type items such as these spec points can be claimed every time there is an event this includes things like exp boosts, bank slots, inventory slots, doff packs, crafting matts and so on.
    its only things like ships, uniform, weapons pets and so on that can only be claimed once.

• Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Thanks for the spec points! A nice freebie that gave a little bit to all of my captains. Much appreciated.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

They never do that. You will always find the information you need two days in advance, tops. There's a reason "leaking" infromation from the gamefiles is so popular and I don't see how advanced knowledge to plan ones actions would hurt Cryptic, but it's the way they've chosen regarding their information policy. And with a lot of things, the community substitutes for it - wether they like it or not. And, in my opinion, like every other company on this planet they are unable to work with those phenomenons and turn them into mutually beneficial deals but rather take the reactionaire (futile) fight against it approach.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »

They never do that. You will always find the information you need two days in advance, tops. There's a reason "leaking" infromation from the gamefiles is so popular and I don't see how advanced knowledge to plan ones actions would hurt Cryptic, but it's the way they've chosen regarding their information policy. And with a lot of things, the community substitutes for it - wether they like it or not. And, in my opinion, like every other company on this planet they are unable to work with those phenomenons and turn them into mutually beneficial deals but rather take the reactionaire (futile) fight against it approach.​​

*Evidence leaks for T6 using a Connie skin*

*Forums Celebrate*

*Reveal that Connie skin was only a placeholder*

*Forums Rage*
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    bluedarky wrote: »

*Forums Celebrate*

*Forums Rage*

Not that this has happened in all the time, but working with the obvious demand for "leaks" they could also circumvent this. A simple "we're currently working on the following ships/content" but without giving concrete release dates they would do a lot of players a big favour.

And if the "two day notice" strategy is only based on provoking impulse purchases on Zen they should simply revert back to a sensible business model pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Revealing things gradually keeps people checking the news daily, thus keeps them thinking of the game. It's a marketing strategy.
  • Options
    ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited January 2016

If the anniversary T6 'giveaway' comes with the same kind of mission requirement as the winter event ship they can take their free thing and shove it deep up their unmentionable. The fastest game on ice was so @#$(*ing annoying I wasn't willing to do it even for a ship, even a ship that I actually really, really want.

• Options

If the anniversary T6 'giveaway' comes with the same kind of mission requirement as the winter event ship they can take their free thing and shove it deep up their unmentionable. The fastest game on ice was so @#$(*ing annoying I wasn't willing to do it even for a ship, even a ship that I actually really, really want.

though I agree the winter event ship mission 'The fastest game on ice' is the trickiest and most player unfriendly of all the event ship missions it was worth persevering to get the ships and once you get the hang of it getting to grips with it the following year is much easier.
    having said that the anniversary event ship mission and requirements are much more simple and player friendly, if they have the same layout they did last year you just play the feature episode for the first time and get 400 tokens reward as well as the normal mission rewards then for 15 days you play the Omega Particle Game that is dead simple and rewards 40 tokens each day as well as Omega particle remnants which can be used with the R&D system to craft special Omega Upgrade Kits.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I thought the ice race against the computer was mind-numbingly easy, myself. Maybe I've been at this too many years. Anyway, I was willing to do it because the race is short and I desired the Breen dreadnaught. This time, even though a 400 mark boost (assumed) and omega mini-game make it simple to obtain, I have no interest in the Krenim ship and will not be participating in any repetitive chores for it. In the summer, I find the jet pack course slow and tedious, and wasn't impressed with the Nandi, so I doubt I'll be doing that again. Circling back to another winter event, I can't imagine a Breen ship I'll want more than the dreadnaught. Not even Tier 6 versions of the raider and warship.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I thought the ice race against the computer was mind-numbingly easy, myself. Maybe I've been at this too many years.
    Nah, it was already mind-numbingly easy the first year. Some people apparently just suck at it for some reason.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    On second thought, I can imagine a new Breen ship that would get me into the next winter event. A t6 warship with five forward weapons and five tac console slots.

That's edging into whale cheese OP lockbox ship territory, though, so I doubt it will happen.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    bluedarky wrote: »

*Forums Celebrate*

*Forums Rage*

Not that this has happened in all the time, but working with the obvious demand for "leaks" they could also circumvent this. A simple "we're currently working on the following ships/content" but without giving concrete release dates they would do a lot of players a big favour.

And if the "two day notice" strategy is only based on provoking impulse purchases on Zen they should simply revert back to a sensible business model pig-2.gif​​

They've done this before, plans changed, and the forums raged.

And plans have been changed less than an hour before they were due to go out for various reasons including bugs, exploits and CBS mandates.
  • Options

Only usable on Fleet projects this time, apparently. Wouldn't let me buy spire consoles with it. :(
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
  • Options
    ihatepwe735ihatepwe735 Member Posts: 337 Arc User

You forgot the 1GB patch that is going to take me 24H to download ... :/
  • Options

• Options
    iscalpu4fun321iscalpu4fun321 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    discrimination again due to not all players play fed but many of the giveaways are fed related... but meh. i also don't understand the concept of this. players who only play fed are not really encouraged to try diff factions as much which would in turn would increase sales for character slots, c-store ships ect.. if giveaways like this and many before don't include the other factions. not that it really matters much, the forums is for bug reporting and such everything else is mostly ignored and it makes people feel like the have a say. servers down atm, going to see if it up again. happy trekking.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    discrimination again due to not all players play fed but many of the giveaways are fed related... but meh.

so "many of the giveaways are fed related..."
    day 1 = spec points (any faction)
    day 2 = fleet voucher (any faction)
    day 3 = Tech Upgrades (any faction)
    day 4 = Open Jacket Uniforms (fed only)

yes, I see your point.

the trouble is most characters in the game are fed, KDF being 2nd most popular and rom being least in number and most players have at least one fed character.
    I guess when cryptic have got to give away an item that can only be used by only one faction they will go with fed every time to please the greatest number of players.
    easy answer, regardless of the faction you prefer create at least one fed, one KDF and one rom character, that way you will never miss out totally even if your preferred character does.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on