test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Leonard Nimoy One Year Anniversary Tribute on Vulcan

alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
It has been almost a year since Leonard Nimoy, the man who played the original Spock in the Star Trek franchise died. So I think it is only logical to honor and pay our respects to him once again on Vulcan on February 26, 2016. Because we all know that the Star Trek franchise and especially the game, Star Trek Online wouldn't be as it is now without Nimoy and for what he contributed to them. And, that it wouldn't be the same without the actor who played the original Spock of Vulcan.
tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series

Comments

• gaevsprivsmangaevsprivsman Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    I'll be there, he is sorely missed :'(
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    If I can find a QUIET instance, I might show up. I'm fully expecting Disco Balls though...

Despite what certain people say, I for one do not believe that Disco Balls and dancing like its New Year's or Mardi Gras is right for everyone. So I'd recommend the Disco Balls be limited to maybe one instance for those who want them, and respectfully leave the rest alone for those who don't.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,523 Community Moderator
    edited January 2016
    There is also such a thing as being respectful of others. That is why I suggested the instance thing. IF people want the disco balls, they can go to the designated instance. If they don't they can avoid that particular instance. Then no one is FORCED into something they don't want and everyone is happy.

Want to Mardi Gras? Go to Instance 1.
    Want to have a Moment of Silence? Go to Instance 2.

That sort of thing. Win/Win for everyone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,166 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    nabreeki wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There is also such a thing as being respectful of others. That is why I suggested the instance thing. IF people want the disco balls, they can go to the designated instance. If they don't they can avoid that particular instance. Then no one is FORCED into something they don't want and everyone is happy.

That sort of thing.

I'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. I take issue with a "designated instance" for those who want to express their grief in a way they see fit. Doesn't seem very respectful to me.

Just so we're all clear: do you think there should be ANY instances available for anyone who wants to 'pay their respects' without a disco ball flashing above their head?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Well the thing with the disco balls is that the devs nullified them in one of the patch/release notes

From - Release Notes: March 12th, 2015
    " Players should no longer be able to use party powers such as the Disco Ball on other players around the statue of Spock on Vulcan. "

Hopefully that patch still stands.

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Well the thing with the disco balls is that the devs nullified them in one of the patch/release notes

From - Release Notes: March 12th, 2015
    " Players should no longer be able to use party powers such as the Disco Ball on other players around the statue of Spock on Vulcan. "

Hopefully that patch still stands.

I can't log in at the moment, but can anyone else verify if this is still the case? If so, :D:D:D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I am taking into consideration what happened last time people tried to gather respectfully, only to have Disco Balls popped on them. That's like playing loud party music at a funeral. QUITE A FEW people see that as disrespectful. The idea of having a designated Disco Ball instance is so that people have a CHOICE. It is disrespectful to force people into something they don't want all in the name of "getting swept up in the moment". Freedom of Choice. If we want to have Disco Balls we can. But in this instance a choice needs to be available for those who don't want to but still want to show up at Vulcan for a respectful moment or something. And not everyone believes Disco Balls are respectful.

I'm more than happy to pop on on Jm'pok or Admiral Quinn every once in a while for the lulz, but if I am going to a player gathering to pay respects to someone, I wouldn't want someone coming in and blasting their stereo.

Just so we're all clear: do you think there should be ANY instances available for anyone who wants to 'pay their respects' without a disco ball flashing above their head?

Mods: can we get the rolling-eye emote back anytime soon? Thanks in advance.

I don't think the mods control those emotes. You might want to ask @pwlaughingtrendy

Anyway, now that I know the patch is in effect, I actually support an instance where the dental crowd can party *AT* the statue if they want to. I have no problem at all with people partying all they want as long as it isn't bothering others. So yeah, giver dental their instance to play in. Everybody wins!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User

Mods: can we get the rolling-eye emote back anytime soon? Thanks in advance.

I don't think the mods control those emotes. You might want to ask @pwlaughingtrendy

Anyway, now that I know the patch is in effect, I actually support an instance where the dental crowd can party *AT* the statue if they want to. I have no problem at all with people partying all they want as long as it isn't bothering others. So yeah, giver dental their instance to play in. Everybody wins!

I fully support this too.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited January 2016

That sort of thing.

I'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that. I take issue with a "designated instance" for those who want to express their grief in a way they see fit. Doesn't seem very respectful to me.

Respect, is a two way street...

One persons is no more important than somebody else's.

Unless of course that persons interferes with somebody else's in a rude and/or demeaning manner.

It's not a difficult concept, but it does take the fortitude to realize and acknowledge when one is over-stepping ones bounds.

Anybody with half a brain and good manners would realize that setting off actions to disrupt another persons quite moment, is being rude and discourteous.
    Kind of like playing very loud rock & roll music during a church prayer service.

We of course realize that there are individuals who find this to be pleasurable for whatever discordant reason in their petty mindsets, but I have found that over the long haul, ignoring them is the best course of action to follow.

I would imagine that if everybody were to do this, it would actually be most frustrating for the individual being discourteous due in part to not gaining the desperate attention that their childish mind seems to need to flourish.

<shrug>
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited January 2016
    I forgot to add that I too, will attend at some point in that 24 hour period to pay respecs to Mr. Nimoy.
    <3
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    No it didn't. Its basically turning into a debate over what is considered respectful. It was not a trap. It was not MEANT as a trap. It was meant as a suggestion that makes EVERYONE happy.

If anyone is making it out like that, its you nabreeki.

Respectfully, drop the paranoia and just discuss the suggestion in a civil manner before crying wolf. Otherwise please refrain from turning this thread into something it isn't and move on.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Can we keep personal-conflicts out of the thread? Just a friendly reminder, before someone thinks it's a goody-good idea to try and set the forums a-blaze with forum PvP.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

Thank you jo.
    edited January 2016
    The devs should just negate the both the Sub-space Party Amplifier, Colorful Party Horn and the the Festive Party Horn the moment we beam down to vulcan. I checked and the patch nullifies them at about 12 to 24+ meters from the statue.

Edit: On top of that the devs should put an invisible wall around the Spock Statue so we won't have people jumping on it.

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Has it been a year already?

Boy, does time fly...
    edited January 2016
    tousseau wrote: »
    Has it been a year already?

Boy, does time fly...

Fur sure...

It's been TEN YEARS since James Doohan died and SIXTEEN YEARS since Deforest Kelly passed.
    <very sad face>
    Post edited by daveyny on
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Celebrating a guy being dead a year... kinda cold, imo.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
    I don't see it as celebrating. I see it, and treat it, as honoring. If I make it to the gathering, I'll be doing the moment of silence thing.
    Celebrating a guy being dead a year... kinda cold, imo.

I guess calling it a "Remembrance" would be more apropos.
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I too will be there. and have sent a message to my fleet. We will all mourn the great Spock... and very very soon, Nbreeki will release a PSA that should make all of you feel more... "closure" with the Dental/Spock situation.
  • sonicshowersonicshower Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    I don't see it as celebrating. I see it, and treat it, as honoring. If I make it to the gathering, I'll be doing the moment of silence thing.

I will be there in full celebratory mode, if only to make this more about Leonard Nimoy and less about you.
    sh2sxc7.gif
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I will try to be there , if my health allows me

For those who wish to not dance , might i suggest the subspace nullifier that is acquired on DS9.
  • ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    klingons cant go to vulcan , sorry
    mzspQIG.jpg

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    Really? You really think it is a good idea to reignite forum/community flames? Good luck with that.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Allow me to ruin your immersion by breaking character, or at LEAST the Fourth Wall for one moment....
    I will be there in full celebratory mode, if only to make this more about Leonard Nimoy and less about you.

when I am there, I will be celebrating SPOCK. the character. While Leonard Nimoy (as well as Jacob Kogan, and Carl Steven, and perhaps even Zachary Quinto) did an excellent job of portraying him, I know little about the man himself and have never met him... as such, I lack the common social need to pry into someone's personal life simply because I know they exist.

So when Britney and K-Fed break up, I'm totally unaffected by this.

Hulk Hogan wants to set fire to a pig and then use derogatory terms about Canadians? I still want him to win the title.

Leonard Nimoy? The World lost an actor.. and loss can always be troubling, but his character is nicely represented even in the terrible new movies, so Spock lives on.

However, for Character and roleplay purposes, and also to further my own immersion, I will be present to worship Spock, who my character DID encounter on at least TWO occasions I can currently think of and STO Canon actually recognizes at least one of those.

I look forward to interacting with all of you, and all of the Dental's present as we worship this universe-changing Vulcan and his many forms together!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    with the state this thread is in? i wont be there to pay respects or watch as others loiter and disrespecting leonard and his memory, regardless what anyones opinion is, that is enough for me and thats all i will state on the subject.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    For once, I think I agree with mirrorchaos.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    rahhmi wrote: »
    While Leonard Nimoy (as well as Jacob Kogan, and Carl Steven, and perhaps even Zachary Quinto) did an excellent job of portraying him, I know little about the man himself and have never met him... as such, I lack the common social need to pry into someone's personal life simply because they exist.

I must admit that I cannot disagree with this. While he certainly seemed a sympathetic man, I have never met and have never known him personally. So although I went to Vulcan when he passed away last year to honour the man who portrayed an important character in a franchise that has influenced my values and general development as a person more than any other, I'm not going to pretend that, one year later, his death is still important to me on a personal level. I'll be there to honour mister Nimoy though.

That being said, we all have different feelings about this and everyone has his own reasons for going there. Just because I have not met the man does not mean that there aren't players who have. Some prefer to celebrate the life of someone who's no longer with us, others wish to mourn for the loss.
    Assuming it's technically feasible, creating different instances is probably the best thing to do.
    The needs of the many may outweigh the needs of the few, if the needs of both 'the many' and 'the few' can be respected by creating separate instances then it has my support.
    I was there the day he passed, I'll be there on the anniversary.

Same here. At first I thought somebody was messing around, then I started to check around the internet and there it was. Took me hours to accept the truth.

This discussion has been closed.