test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Na'kuhl

Comments

• Options
    zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I find it amusing that this article was a better representation of what Star Trek tries to do than today's Star Trek Beyond trailer was. I was impressed with this article all in all. I wish we could see more stories like this appear within the actual game.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    I find it amusing that this article was a better representation of what Star Trek tries to do than today's Star Trek Beyond trailer was. I was impressed with this article all in all. I wish we could see more stories like this appear within the actual game.

Tbh i wish the people writting these blogs were the writters for the new trek atleast these writers know how to put something trek forward not "In the beggining *cue massive fight scene that last the entire movie with an exploding enterprise* the end"

I really enjoyed this blog damn fine work guys damn fine work indeed :)
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    They REALLY needed to specify some clear reason why we could not reignite the star. Given that they didn't, I can't even rationalize this like I did the plot holes in the Iconian War. This will be non-canon to ALL versions of my characters, completely.
    My guess from what I saw/heard ingame is because that the Tox Uthat can only reignite a dieing star if you use it as early as possible. And thiers star was already at a point-of-no-return(as good as dead), when we got the Tox Uthat back.
    So.. too much decay to be repaired/restored.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Sounds like the Federation Council voted their own Trump into office...
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    They REALLY needed to specify some clear reason why we could not reignite the star. Given that they didn't, I can't even rationalize this like I did the plot holes in the Iconian War. This will be non-canon to ALL versions of my characters, completely.
    My guess from what I saw/heard ingame is because that the Tox Uthat can only reignite a dieing star if you use it as early as possible. And thiers star was already at a point-of-no-return(as good as dead), when we got the Tox Uthat back.

Which still fails to explain why we couldn't go back in time and fix it...honestly, Captain Walker's explanation just didn't wash. This whole crisis is so unnecessary on every possible level, both before their star ever went out, and after (when I have thought of multiple things that could have been used to allow for a more orderly evacuation/colonization process).

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    Which still fails to explain why we couldn't go back in time and fix it...honestly, Captain Walker's explanation just didn't wash. This whole crisis is so unnecessary on every possible level, both before their star ever went out, and after (when I have thought of multiple things that could have been used to allow for a more orderly evacuation/colonization process).
    Time travel is fickle. That would have required very precise time travel and would have required meeting yourself as the saying goes. Odds of "side effects"? Probably very high.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't our Delta Recruits meet themselves to absolutely zero effect on the timeline, helpful or harmful? :/

(I actually considered that the greatest weakness of the whole Recruit thing...it came out to nought in the end.)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User

Its too bad the opposite didn't occur. It would have been interesting if the Na'kuhl sun was already failing, and the Tholians instead used the Tox Uthat to reignite it. Thus instead a race would have been saved when it shouldn't have, and a new player in the Temporal Cold War would have been created. This would also create potential motive for the Na'Kuhl being involved in the war to begin with. Future Temporal agencies would want to repair the timeline due to such a massive breach in the Temporal Prime Directive, while the Na'kuhl would be opposed to this, since that action essentially saved their race from extinction.
  • Options
    Well, that was an intentional temporal loop, not accidental. Also it didn't take place during a time travel incident.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I remain puzzled why they would call this season New Dawn. It was strongly implied that since the Iconian war was now over we would start somthing new and return to an era of peace and exploration. Well we did, for about 10 minutes into the first mission.

I'm starting to hate time travel episodes. Simply because it's never done well. All these open questions and illogical actions that have to be written into the story in order to make it somewhat convincing (which it rarely ever is). STO went as far as making time travel no more difficult that traveling by warp. But they can travel to time period B, but not C. And they most certainly cannot travel back to A to fix what they've done wrong in B.
  • Options
    highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    All this because Kal Dano couldn't wait five flippin' minutes to turn the sun back on before running off to bury the MacGuffin in the sand...

(for the most unsatisfying reason in all time travel stories, "because." This thing, unlike all the other things, can't be changed. Why? "Because.")

For what it's worth, though, Trek has always been about addressing (then-)current events and social issues in a Sci Fi context. That's kind of its thing.

The denial of player agency is really galling. My captain is exactly the kind of woman the Timecops wish to keep ignorant of temporal manipulation as much as possible. They only think Janeway is bad. Captain Mira Daelin can and will kneecap someone to facilitate her doing the Right Thing, directives, time lines and medical procedures be dammed.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Of those that want these Blogs to be in game... what i want MORE is that freakin' Data Core from the Annorax....

I want a screen to screen comparison of the events of the Prime Universe and STO's current one(because right now we've SERIOUSLY frelled up the Prime Universe's history, THANKS GENOCIDE TIME MACHINE!)

I wanna know if, in this timeline, the Na'kuhl STILL went back in time and fiddled with World War II.... If so that means it doesn't matter what the Federation does, it won't change ANYTHING...

BUT... because this is now an alternate Prime Universe.... Things may be different.

Oh, but my theory of Butterfly had it that what we were in before we used the Annorax wasn't the Prime timeline, but that we created it in that moment. Which also explains why our character in that episode was so cavalier about the risks until the final scene that we repeated...the version of ourselves we see for most of the episode did not have the Temporal Cold War background that we do in most episodes.

Your theory would mean all of TNG and DS9... hell even Voyager is non-Prime Universe.... That nothing we ever saw of those shows was ever Prime Universe.
    What we did with the Annorax changed THAT much even if it was just disappearing a simple rock with the co-ords to Iconia on it for Picard's friend to find....

Oh... and /that/ particular set of Borg Transwarp Gateway near assimilated Romulus.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    The Klingons are welcoming the Na’kuhl with open arms… so long as they come ready to work… to fight… to serve the Empire. It’s the same on Cardassia Prime, I’m told.

Hmm foreshadowing of Na'kuhl as part of a player Cardassian faction perhaps? :*
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
    Wonderful story! I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you :D
  • Options
    The "non-Prime" stuff in Butterfly was everything but the last scene IMO--but those actions created the universe seen in every other episode.

• Options
    sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The "non-Prime" stuff in Butterfly was everything but the last scene IMO--but those actions created the universe seen in every other episode.
    Remember what Annorax tried to teach Chakotay in Year of Hell 1&2. Once you remove a thing from existence... You can never bring it back. You can get damned close, but never exactly back what you removed. THIS is the non-prime universe now. Why? Because we removed that asteroid from existence. The Transwarp Gateway's removal was a calculated removal to move us back into near-parallel with the OLD timeline.(hence the "surprise" to find a data-core that never existed in this current timeline)

In this timeline Picard's archaeology friend never found the map to lead him to Iconia...

Which means the Yamato never exploded over the planet and Picard and Taris never had a standoff....

Which means he never briefed Starfleet on the Iconains and their tech....

Which means Sisko would have had to have been briefed on exactly who the Iconains were and how dangerous their technology is when he first met Weyoun.

We are no longer in the Prime Universe BECAUSE Worfs Dialogue in a Step between Stars mentions him on Iconia and in our current timeline, that's never happened.​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    I could write you a whole dissertation on what I think happened in that episode...I've done it in another thread now that would be a necro if I bumped it though, and I don't want to derail it further. Suffice it to say there is an action we took that I think did put back the Yamato incident--namely we stopped Hakeev from doing a stupid experiment involving trying to commander/build his very own Borg transwarp gate. But we didn't erase HIM...we erased his gate and therefore had to erase his idea. The erasure of the idea entailed the Yamato returning, since this kept Hakeev's attention split between the Iconians and the Borg, instead of singlemindedly focusing on the Borg and thus going one experiment too far.

Like I said though, I could explain it a whole heck of a lot better if I could illustrate it and take a whole thread to myself. I'm afraid you'll have to settle for searching through my history of threads started, to find the one I did on Butterfly (and not bumping it as it would be a necro). ;)

• Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    Do we have to even have a game. I'd be happy just with these regular little blogs. As ever, this is a fantastic piece of writing, riddled with Star Trek lore.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ... And now, they want our help in a major way? They accept our offers to take them in? Sorry, I'm not seeing it. If anything, they are hostile and bitter. And they are NOT in a forgiving mood.

what tosh! you are comparing the tiny few na'khul who used time travel to regain what they lost and that one person on na'khul as an excuse to force that on the majority of the na'khul for a point?

since those tiny few na'khul used the TRIBBLE's to try make their point, so shall i, in reality the TRIBBLE party was a fairly small group who had legions of supporters all over germany back in the day, and do you consider every german a TRIBBLE, or just the ones who shout the loudest or use an mp40 to say that ever german is guilty of being a TRIBBLE? even those in hungary, the czech republic, slovakia, poland, france and austria? i mean really, it's insulting to consider the few to be the average majority for everyone.

the average na'khul wouldn't have any idea what is really going on, nor can they hold such malice at this point, they dont have the time or the interest to figure it out with their star turned stone cold and their planet turning completely uninhabitable.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,773 Arc User
    Another great edition.
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg
    Keep 'em coming.

Any word on finding a way to incorporated these so that they can be found in-game?

Can these also be found on the Wiki?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    I will say though its not looking good for the Federation if the Klingon Emprie and Cardassian Union are the ones offering the most humanitarian aid.
    Not really. Basically, the Klingons' and Cardassians' offer is that the Na'kuhl are welcome to join their army (those who pass the medical). Not exactly an altruistic offer.
    kelettes wrote: »
    What's up with the "schism" in the Federation Council about helping the Na'kuhl? They may have ties with the Breen and the Tzenkethi -- so what?

We know that things are... tense with the Breen from previous episodes, and we haven't seen or heard nothing about the Tzenkethi yet, much less of hostilities in the 25th century; but that doesn't mean that we should recoil from assisting the Na'kuhl, or that every Na'kuhl citizen is a spy.
    Seems reasonable to me - it's pretty much what real-life politicians are concerned about, and always are in such situations; 1) we haven't got money to burn, 2) are any of them spies. (Though I agree that the Breen and Tzenkethi are hardly top priority at the moment.)
    This whole crisis is so unnecessary on every possible level, both before their star ever went out, and after (when I have thought of multiple things that could have been used to allow for a more orderly evacuation/colonization process).
    Let's hear them Gulberat! (either here or, if you like, on a separate thread - this one is getting a bit crowded with different arguments.) I always like those kind of speculative discussions!
    szim wrote: »
    I remain puzzled why they would call this season New Dawn. It was strongly implied that since the Iconian war was now over we would start somthing new and return to an era of peace and exploration. Well we did, for about 10 minutes into the first mission.
    Do we have to even have a game. I'd be happy just with these regular little blogs. As ever, this is a fantastic piece of writing, riddled with Star Trek lore.
    Sadly, I'm feeling like that myself. I read the fanfics and official fics more than I play the game. There was all that build-up to New Dawn, but then the composition of the new missions (after the first half of "Sunrise") has been very much the same as any other mission. Enough text to explain what's happening, fight, another quick linking dialogue, fight, press F to scan something once or twice, fight.
    It doesn't have to be like that. Cryptic? Please can you really try to give us a mission with OTHER challenges, for once? If your writers are out of practice making anything like that, play, say, "Uprising Act III: Epsilon" in the Foundry for ideas. Your engine CAN do it! You need a skilled writer to make it work, but I'm sure you have what it takes among you.
  • Options
    Another great edition.
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg
    Keep 'em coming.

Any word on finding a way to incorporated these so that they can be found in-game?

Can these also be found on the Wiki?
    Cryptic doesn't maintain the wiki. so the question becomes whether players have copied it to the wiki.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Wombat, two of my ideas for preserving the Na'kuhl world long enough to allow for a more orderly evacuation are in this thread. :)

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Wombat, two of my ideas for preserving the Na'kuhl world long enough to allow for a more orderly evacuation are in this thread. :)

My captain would be like: "Yeah, well... I'm gonna go make my own dying star, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the star!"
  • Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Gulberat: oh, of course, the solar gateway and the gas giant were yours! Now, if we get a "meanwhile back on Na'kuhl" episode or story, I'd enjoy either of those a lot. (Maybe that's what they do have in mind, or something else of that kind! After all, the blog with Kuumarke sneaking around under cloak surely wasn't about nothing.)

My ideas were mainly my old ones for how Nimbus III could be made self-supporting. Although Nimbus III is nowhere near Na'khul at all, so it's not the best choice, though it unarguably has plenty of room.

Hmm, see how easily this kind of thing breaks out on the forum, looks like there would be plenty of interest in a science episode!
    And I'd rather have a personal story than one filled with sci-fi technobabble any day of the week.
    You can have both. One of the best kinds of science fiction (in my opinion) is when it's about how some science upends somebody's actual life. I mean, to take a random real-life example, sex change operations. That's an invention, if you like, but when have you ever seen it done as anything but a personal story? In that type of story you only hear as much of the details of the actual science as affects the story. But it would none the less be science fiction, if it wasn't that it's science fact. It's still fiction about science.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    #nakuhlwelcome

Liked this one. I don't mind the Nakuhl suddenly accepting help. It happens when you're facing extinction. First, you're angry at whoever you deem responsible and then, after a bit of time has passed without results, you get desperate and start taking any chances you can get.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

It's just a shame that we already know it's not gonna stop the Nakuhl from plunging the galaxy into the Temporal Cold War.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    This was a good one, please keep them coming.
  • Options
    Oh I'd say at least some were truly evil. The not-a-Q guy is definitely one. Probably Ruk too. Also some were very amoral. Mudd for example... he didn't care who got hurt because of his swindles. The Klingons too. They were aggressively expansionistic and quite happy to subjugate prewarp civs.

So, yeah, TOS had plenty of villains, though they weren't all diabolical. Khan's goal in the entire TOS ep was to seize the Enterprise. Every thing he did was in some way part of that goal. The crew would submit, die or get marooned somewhere, much like what Kirk ended up doing to him.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @mrspidey2 It's pretty transparent what they are about to do for the cause of the Temporal Cold War (BECUZ FARRISS, ITZ ALL UR FALT FEDZ!!1!!111), and it's annoying because I don't feel like the groundwork they laid in the first two episodes adequately sets it up (it sets up the opposite--Na'kuhl isolationism and/or a more sci-fi oriented plot) and they just decided to react to the headlines without consideration for how well it would integrate with what they already had published.

I'd like to hope I'm wrong and we either get something more creative or (unfortunately that it comes down to this) a situation where the dev blogs can be entirely ignored because of failure to align with the actual episodes much like happened with the Iconian War blogs.