test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do DEV'S play the game personally?

Comments

• samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Since we're all here would anyone mind sharing their insight about what the difference between being produced by Atari and owned by PWE have been? Was it easier to accomplish things when you didn't have a larger company looking over your shoulder 24/7?

A lot of Vitriol is redirected at PWE for making the Dev's jobs more difficult and I'm wondering if this is justified in some cases.

Edit: Just realized. Nobody can answer this because the only people who can are employed by PWE. Lol
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    By the way Trendy are you OK? You seem a bit agitated lately, which is perfectly understandable but you've always been so easy going. Which is one of your best qualities.

I work in Customer service too, people annoy me. Just in general.
    I'm alright. Little tired these days. Doing a bunch of 2016 planning and prep. That plus getting sick frequently has eaten up a lot of my time.
    Ouch, sorry about that. Well hope you get better!

I'm working on a little surprise for you soon, it isn't much but hopefully it'll help you feel better.

;)
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    I'm alright. Little tired these days. Doing a bunch of 2016 planning and prep. That plus getting sick frequently has eaten up a lot of my time.

Sympathy subroutine activated. May I offer you a hot beverage?
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    By the way Trendy are you OK? You seem a bit agitated lately, which is perfectly understandable but you've always been so easy going. Which is one of your best qualities.

If it's like most businesses, I'm sure there's a combination of prepping for 2016 while at the same time massive hair-pulling crunching to finish all of the 2015 stuff. I'm sure all that work stress isn't doing your health much good, either. :'(

Hope you feel better soon.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
    Thanks! I have Dayquil and coffee. I'm considering mixing the two. Things will get 'fun'.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Thanks! I have Dayquil and coffee. I'm considering mixing the two. Things will get 'fun'.

DayQuil is like drinking non alcoholic beer.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
    You should try Sudafed.... excellant for allergies and such. It's very powerful and can get you quite high at times but it's perfectly safe for working.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    I prefer Cayenne for nasal congestion issues.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User

Change the coffee to a quadruple mocha, and that'll perk ya' right up.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    If you see a dev in game please tell them four simple words;

"Ferenginar Economic Adventure Zone"

Market PvP? MARKET PVP! Must camp Jita and update my spreadsheet on commodity prices.
    *puts Excel aside before he gets the shakes again*

This is PvP I would play.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User

Rest up! Feel better.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited December 2015

I've heard cayenne is good for sore throats/Strep if gargled... what do you do for sinuses ?
    You don't snort it do you ?
    My God that would be painful !

My magic bullet for sinus colds, netti pot, nasal irrigation with warm saline solution. Several times a day.
    Works like a charm. Was amazed the first time I tried it, been using it ever since.

Anyhow, at least the Devs have a holiday upcoming. Hope they get a good rest, and come back rejuvenated.
    My holiday starts on the 18th. Cant wait. I'm getting worn out myself.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    The 18th? Just in time to go see George Lucas and JJ Abrams print money eh? Lol
    I've heard cayenne is good for sore throats/Strep if gargled... what do you do for sinuses ?
    You don't snort it do you ?
    My God that would be painful !

My magic bullet for sinus colds, netti pot, nasal irrigation with warm saline solution. Several times a day.
    Works like a charm. Was amazed the first time I tried it, been using it ever since.

Anyhow, at least the Devs have a holiday upcoming. Hope they get a good rest, and come back rejuvenated.
    My holiday starts on the 18th. Cant wait. I'm getting worn out myself.
    Actually I just increase my pepper intake for the duration of the congestion.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited December 2015
    The 18th? Just in time to go see George Lucas and JJ Abrams print money eh? Lol

Yeah, I'll be going to see it for sure, but I seriously hope it doesn't blow (keeping my expectations very low as to not be disappointed)...but not holding my breath. My faith in Hollywood is at all time low.

Disney may indeed "feel a great disturbance in the force"...if they put out a "prequel" quality movie. hehe

Edited some misinformation haha
    Post edited by taylor1701d on
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    It's Disney, not Hollywood. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    I have faith, JJ Abrams is a brilliant director. Certainly better than Lucas... lol

And he has demonstrated an ability to make source material his own while still paying homage to its predecessors.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    Since we're all here would anyone mind sharing their insight about what the difference between being produced by Atari and owned by PWE have been? Was it easier to accomplish things when you didn't have a larger company looking over your shoulder 24/7?

A lot of Vitriol is redirected at PWE for making the Dev's jobs more difficult and I'm wondering if this is justified in some cases.

Edit: Just realized. Nobody can answer this because the only people who can are employed by PWE. Lol

I can answer, or . . . will answer . . .

:::speaks loudly toward the cardboard cutout of Spock that keeps making weird whirring noises:::

Was it easier to accomplish things when we didn't have a larger company looking over our shoulder? NO! PWE has been great for Cryptic, and great for STO. It's easier to accomplish things when your parent organization is willing to spend some money to let you make cool things. Atari had no money and that hampered a lot of what we did.

PWE IS THE MOST WONDERFUL COMPANY I HAVE EVER KNOWN!

Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

:::speaks loudly toward the cardboard cutout of Spock that keeps making weird whirring noises:::

Was it easier to accomplish things when we didn't have a larger company looking over our shoulder? NO! PWE has been great for Cryptic, and great for STO. It's easier to accomplish things when your parent organization is willing to spend some money to let you make cool things. Atari had no money and that hampered a lot of what we did.

AND HE'S HANDSOME TOO!!!! :smirk:

lol
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User

Before people take the silliness in this post out of context, lets remember the time under Atari referred to as "The Year of Hell".

We had no content beyond the occasional bugfix (occasional meaning that an actual bugfix in the patch notes was celebrated), patch notes consisting of "Game Stability Improvements" or just no patch notes at all and promises made that were never going to be kept, and you still had to pay monthly for the privilege of playing the game.

Now we get content, we get bugfixes, and we can get it all for free, it might not be what everyone wants, but it's better than when we had nothing at all.
    Interesting, glad to hear your view!

That certainly makes sense.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    so, we know now that some devs play at STO; my question is : do you use also the crappy gambling systems? (r&d and upgrade). i know the reply, of course not; because you have already all the stuff for free. try these systems, and tell me that you like them.

I don't know who had this idea, but this is the worse of ideas. the only certainty we have when we use these systems, is the frustration. I can't thx you for that. the creation of builds is just became a pain in the behind.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Be careful with the Sudafed. For some people the side effects are so bad that the cure is worse than the disease.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    so, we know now that some devs play at STO; my question is : do you use also the crappy gambling systems? (r&d and upgrade). i know the reply, of course not; because you have already all the stuff for free. try these systems, and tell me that you like them.

I don't know who had this idea, but this is the worse of ideas. the only certainty we have when we use these systems, is the frustration. I can't thx you for that. the creation of builds is just became a pain in the behind.

The money for the games continued development needs to come from somewhere and every F2P MMORPG I've played has a paid loot box system, because quite frankly they make money, real actual money that trickles back down for more ships, missions and mechanics that people do enjoy.
    Just ignore him and he will go away like the other one. There is no point in reasoning with people who can't comprehend reason.

The collar around your neck stops beeping.
    I'm crying right now... :lol:

That is never, ever, a good thing.... IE: Logan's Run/Running Man.

:dizzy:

Lookout Taco !
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User

why did i immediately think of Dead Money when i read that?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.