test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So now STO wants to promote the UN?

Comments

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I agree with the OP, but this should really be in Ten Forward.
    In before the lock to protest the lock.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    I agree with the op.... GET THE U.S. OUT OF THE U.N.!

Well, considering the U.N. is actually in the U.S., that would not be easy to accomplish...!
    ryuga81.png
  • alexhaydenalexhayden Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    Funny the stuff you can find just by doing a quick search of the Internet.

As already mentioned, it is not the United Nations that Chase is working in partnership with but the United Nations Association (San Diego chapter). Now I'll admit I haven't looked that much into the US arm of UNA, but looking at the website of the UK arm suggests an organisation that has been around for seventy years, that holds ideals that I'd like to think Mr Roddenberry would have approved of and who lists as a patron a certain Sir Patrick Stewart...

As for the climate change thing..I'm conscious of the forum rules and I have no intention of disrespecting the OP's opinions on the subject. But as the population of the United States is approx 322,000,000 I am very curious to see the poll that backs up his statement. The only one I could find online that was fairly recent was for a certain news channel that had polled just over 1,000 people (less than 1% of the American population).
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    alexhayden wrote: »
    (...)The only one I could find online that was fairly recent was for a certain news channel that had polled just over 1,000 people (less than 1% of the American population).

That's an understatement. It's actually 0.000001% - you statement is true but maybe this puts it into a better perspective pig-26.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I agree with the op.... GET THE U.S. OUT OF THE U.N.!

Well, considering the U.N. is actually in the U.S., that would not be easy to accomplish...!

Furthermore the U.N. was actually the U.S. fault, it was all your idea to start with, so you're just dealing with what you made yourself.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    If we are going to talk politics:

"Druk for overlord of bajor 2016"
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    Poor Chase Masterson, she didn't learn that no good deed goes unpunished by Fox News viewers.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Also... the UFP is basically the UN in space....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    'I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.'

'Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.'

'Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.'

So eloquently put by that great 'merican General Jack D. Ripper.

" You can't fight in here this is a war room"
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    Hey, hey! Looks like my Thanksgiving Day Turkey was prepared early this year!

And on that note, I'll just leave this right here for our listening and viewing pleasure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaklcXNjdks
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • yukonsamyukonsam Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    United Earth was a planetary state created through the unification of Earth in the 22nd century, following first contact with Vulcans in 2063. United Earth continued to exist as a political subdivision of the United Federation of Planets when its government helped found that interstellar state in 2161. (Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Enterprise) -- Memory Alpha

Dear Vulcans: please hurry. We're working on that warp drive, but the whackadoodles are getting restless.
  • captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    yukonsam wrote: »
    United Earth was a planetary state created through the unification of Earth in the 22nd century, following first contact with Vulcans in 2063. United Earth continued to exist as a political subdivision of the United Federation of Planets when its government helped found that interstellar state in 2161. (Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Enterprise) -- Memory Alpha

Dear Vulcans: please hurry. We're working on that warp drive, but the whackadoodles are getting restless.

^^^^^^^+10
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Hey OP ....

mistakesdemotivator_large.jpeg?v=1416776264

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    Didn't Obama like Spock? So therefore doesn't liking Vulcans make you an Obama lover?
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    And herein lies the folly of broadcasting political views on a forum that has nothing to do with world politics. It doesn't matter if you agree with the OP or not. It doesn't matter if you think the OP is insane or completely lucid. The first post comes out and then it's responded to again and again. Some of the folks here either joked about the OP or just blasted back with their own political beliefs and opinions but it comes down to the same thing. The thread was started as a political statement or opinion and now it is being sustained by more of the same.

I play this game to get away from the world for a little while and I read the forums to learn more about the game and to read about new ideas for the game, that's pretty much it. I don't care about your political affiliation, whether Republican, Democrat, Liberal, or Conservative, it has no bearing on this game, this reality.

These political threads just divide the lines between us all because in truth we live in a very politically charged world and people today and i think now more than ever feel very strongly about their political views. If you feel the need to express some political belief or opinion there are other places to do so but it shouldn't be here.​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I had 4 biscuits, I ate one, then I only had 3. Oh and have you heard the story of the ugly barnacle?
    7aamriW.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Well said, Shrimp Head.

Hmm...

Since that statement came out in rhyme, it makes me want to, one more time.
    Now that I've done it again, when will it ever end?
    I do not really know, but it we keep up this show,
    Perhaps those in this thread, will think about what's been said,
    And realize like I do, this discussion should be through.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Also... the UFP is basically the UN in space....

Eh, far from it.
    The UFP Is a unified interstellar government with real power and authority, with Starfleet enforcing UFP laws, regulations, policies etc and defending its borders.
    While member worlds do enjoy a certain level of autonomy, they ultimately must comply with the Federation Council, though they are however free to leave the Federation should they wish to do so.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Eat turkey and lots of it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • johncampbell07johncampbell07 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    The ignorance of the OP is staggering and saddening. I will not comment on his assertions about the UN, as I avoid political discussions on here (but others have ably deconstructed these).

I will however point out that even if his political rant was correct - its utterly misplaced. I have some experience working in the international development sector. I watched Chase's video again. She makes no mention that her charity (Pop Culture Hero Coalition) is working with the "United Nations".

She did however mention that it was working with the "United Nations Association". As I recall this is an independent non-governmental US organisation (ie: a charity). It receives no funding from the UN itself, and is instead supported by various other charities, foundations, and contributions from individual members. It carries out various advocacy and programme work, including providing opportunities for kids.

So it seems OP, that your political rant is misplaced! Neither Cryptic, nor Pop Culture Hero Coalition, are working with the UN - they are working with a US charity. Oops!

Also known as a "UN: NGO". Oops? :smile:
  • enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User

Allow me to also state for the record that I have no qualms with the opinions of others as they are certainly entitled to them. However, as such, mine too are equally as valid.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Yeah the UN can blow me. Worthless bunch of trolls...
  • potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    ST appeals to secular liberals so why is an obviousy anti intellectual, anti science, window licking mental midget of a troglodyte even here talking about climate change scams?

Please delete your life, OP. You are the reason we can't have nice things.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The UN may well be very corrupt, but this is not a forum for that discussion.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Did you miss out on the t6 ship's for a 10 dollar donation? Is that why your undies are in a bunch?

Some of us actually pay attention to the world outside of STO. :smile:

And outside STO is exactly where these crazed conspiracy theories need to remain.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.