test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

// Bort & The Gang, Can we get Snowball Fights Back for Xmas? \\

@borticuscryptic

Can we get snowball fights put back in for the winter event? Its a lot of fun!

free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Please, let's not go there again...

There was enough anguish and bemoaning on both sides of the discussion last winter to last a lifetime before and after They changed things.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    That would be fun. As long as it was limited to a specific zone.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Would be fun. Haha. Supporting the OP! :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    If trolls didn't exist this would be fantastic... still I don't see how it could be abused that badly.

Worst case scenario they have scheduled snowball fights during certain times.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Signed.

I remember the first Xmas/Winter event in STO I took part in back in 2012 - it was a lot of fun.

Why was it so cool? Because it was a SOCIAL event where you could interact and have good clean fun with other players:
    PVP races!
    Figure skating on the frozen lake to see who could do the coolest and most elaborate jumps!
    Pie eating contests - including jockeying for position with people to make sure you get the best pies!
    Snowball fights with people - who always get a chance to snowball you back even if they weren't carrying any at the time!

Although new, I made quite a few friends by chatting to people who snowballed me (after getting my revenge), before joining forces to take down the snowmen

Bring back this fun and much missed feature. We need MORE social interaction in STO, not less.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    As long as there's a "No Snowball Zone" boundary around the race tracks (snowballs can't be tossed within so many meters of the track), so as to not disrupt the racers. But you can use them to disrupt players fighting off the snowmen or players fighting off the lake boss if he spawns.
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    How about if you throw a snowball at someone racing or during the boss fight they can attack and kill you? That would be fun!
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    samt1996 wrote: »
    If trolls didn't exist this would be fantastic... still I don't see how it could be abused that badly.

Worst case scenario they have scheduled snowball fights during certain times.

Someone had a gigantic fit claiming the snowballs were literally him being literally assaulted in real life.

I thought it was people complaining that they would keep getting hit by snowballs when running the daily race for the autographed photos, then getting knocked down and losing. Primarily by people trolling. I haven't bothered with them in years, was the knockback/down all that they took away? If so, I think it would be fine if they just leave it. Seriously, when was the last time a fully grown person was knocked down by a snowball? If they took away the ability to target people with them in general (inside the Winter Wonderland), that's just silly.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Why not just make it so we can throw snowballs at each other, but they -don't- knock anyone down (or cause any actual game-mechanic inducing states)? I mean, just make it cause a satisfying 'splat!' of fluffy snowflakes for a moment when someone is hit. Visual effect without any unwanted hindrance.

I suppose some will say that's not 'good enough,' but IMO, it would be fun, and frankly, I am of the opinion that most of the 'not good enough' folks are ones who enjoy the 'griefing' factor a bit too much.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I think the trolls only care about the knockdown. It sounds like this is a call to bring that back. I'm pretty much ambivalent. Wasn't there people abusing this around the exchange last year? Maybe a better idea would be a specific zone for pvp snowball fight like the tide of ice area off to the side.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    ayradyss wrote: »
    Why not just make it so we can throw snowballs at each other, but they -don't- knock anyone down (or cause any actual game-mechanic inducing states)? I mean, just make it cause a satisfying 'splat!' of fluffy snowflakes for a moment when someone is hit. Visual effect without any unwanted hindrance.

I suppose some will say that's not 'good enough,' but IMO, it would be fun, and frankly, I am of the opinion that most of the 'not good enough' folks are ones who enjoy the 'griefing' factor a bit too much.

Completely agreed. The snowball throwing within the Wonderland is fine, as long as it doesn't knock down/back. (Seriously, when has getting hit by a snowball ever knocked someone down?)
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer

Completely agreed. The snowball throwing within the Wonderland is fine, as long as it doesn't knock down/back. (Seriously, when has getting hit by a snowball ever knocked someone down?)

You've never gotten hit with an iceball have you? :)
  • Options
    crypticrockcrypticrock Member Posts: 120 Cryptic Developer
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    (Seriously, when has getting hit by a snowball ever knocked someone down?)
    Spoken like someone who has no idea how to throw a snowball. If you want to knock someone down, you need to aim for their vulnerable spots: Go for the eyes, or the knees, or the groin. It also helps to properly anneal the snowball to create a hardened impact surface. Last, but not least, a secondary volley will often secure the knockdown once the initial blow is struck and your victim is off-balance.

^this. All of this.
  • Options
    primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2015
    Spoken like someone who has no idea how to throw a snowball. If you want to knock someone down, you need to aim for their vulnerable spots: Go for the eyes, or the knees, or the groin. It also helps to properly anneal the snowball to create a hardened impact surface. Last, but not least, a secondary volley will often secure the knockdown once the initial blow is struck and your victim is off-balance.

^this. All of this.

the initial issue was that getting hit/knocked down broke any interacts.

Which would fail you in the Pie Contest, the Race, or whenever you tried to talk to any NPC in the Main Hut... which was the issue... the Trolls staked out that location...

I think the Easiest thing to do which would be 2 birds one Snowball would be to make a new Winter PvP Queue where there was a 10v10 Snowball Fight on an open Field with little snow forts dotted all around... and in this locaiton only could snowballs knock people down.

Then not only would we get some more traffic in the PvP Public Queues, we could make a Private Match with 10v10, and be able to set the score limit as high as we want and fight for hours! Think of the fun that could be had!!! Without the fear of hypothermia!

New Winter Stuff... new PvP Content.... 2 Birds One Snowball
  • Options

You've never gotten hit with an iceball have you? :)

I like to start with the eyes. Once they are blinded, follow with a shot to the groin, and as they reel in pain, one to the knee. Down they go!

I'll admit, I never was good at throwing snowballs. That's why I was always the tank on my team. And yes, I've been hit with ice balls before, and while it hurts, it usually always took two to take me down. But then again, these aren't iceballs we're throwing in-game, and our characters are adult combat veterans, not children.
  • Options
    semalda226semalda226 Member Posts: 1,994 Arc User
    Depends on the size of the snowball I threw a bowling ball sized snowball at my brother and it cause him to faceplant the ground
    tumblr_mxl2nyOKII1rizambo1_500.png

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I thought it was only when players are doing the ship race "fastest game on ice" that the knock down effect was removed?

pretty sure I got knocked down by snowballs a few times last year.

sure its not this from jan 2014 that only applies to alt factions?

quote: "Snowballs, Unmelting Snowballs, and Half-melted Snowballs no longer have any chance of knocking down snowmen or players of the opposite faction."

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    If being a combat veteran means you know how to throw a snowball that'll knock someone down, why can't they do it consistently with a real gun in the rest of the game?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    hipachilleshipachilles Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Also signed. We could establish a "safe space" in the outer margins of each map for people who cannot psychologically handle seeing anything minor and inconseqiential happen to their special snowflake toon.

I love the subtle rekking ball in there.

But maybe allow snowballs in even numbered zones?
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I would like snowball fights, but being knocked down by them no. Maybe allow us to have snowball fights WITHOUT being knocked down?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with getting knocked down. Otherwise, how would one measure the outcome of said snowba fight?

Your HIGHLY decoratored admirals/generals/whatever already do meaningless and degrading tasks like stuff their faces with pies. If you get nervous tics because your honorable warrior falls over from a snowball, then this might not be the game for you (unless the devs/PWE decide to attach a trigger warning to the startup launcher).

As long as falling over doesn't cancel interactions.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,418 Community Moderator
    Sure. Add it back for those who want it. Then add knockdown/knockback negation to the Party Nullifer.

Problem solved. Problem staying solved. Rangers lead the way.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Just knew where this thread was going to end up. Like clockwork.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns