test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

// Bort & The Gang, Can we get Snowball Fights Back for Xmas? \\

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    If no interruption to Races, Pie eating contests and the like, have at it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I honestly don't see what the problem is UNLESS the knockdown causes a disruption of an action.

Here is the thing: it doesn't matter if you see the problem. If it is a problem to someone else, that is all that actually matters. So again, just give people the opt out. Then the people who want to take part can do so, and those that don't cannot have any effect forced on them. The only reason to oppose giving people a choice is if you have a desire to troll.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Remember the reason for the season, happiness and joy.

Right. But again, different people have different definitions of happiness and joy. If getting hit with snowballs is yours, that's completely fine. But you shouldn't be able to force your definition on other people who have a different one.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,347 Arc User
    One thing which should be noted is that the snowballs have been abused in the past.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the snowball knock down and freeze actions especially on drozanna.

There the "fun" was forced upon others and that is a highly undesirable situation.
    Again, make the default being immune to the effects of snowballs and make being able to be knocked down and frozen by them an option to be enabled through the option menu.

Any other setup will result in abuse as it has resulted in abuse in the past.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    One thing which should be noted is that the snowballs have been abused in the past.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers the snowball knock down and freeze actions especially on drozanna.

There the "fun" was forced upon others and that is a highly undesirable situation.
    Again, make the default being immune to the effects of snowballs and make being able to be knocked down and frozen by them an option to be enabled through the option menu.

Any other setup will result in abuse as it has resulted in abuse in the past.​​

If someone snowballs you - snowball em back twice as hard! I made a couple great friends during the last winter event that way.

Try it - its a social time of year - be social with other people rather than hiding away!

You might even have some fun (and make new friends) in the process.
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,347 Arc User
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    questerius wrote: »

Any other setup will result in abuse as it has resulted in abuse in the past.

If someone snowballs you - snowball em back twice as hard! I made a couple great friends during the last winter event that way.

Try it - its a social time of year - be social with other people rather than hiding away!

You might even have some fun (and make new friends) in the process.

Let's not kid ourselves because we both know it doesn't work that way. The moment it's implemented groups (note plural, not singular) are going to be ambushing players at beam in points or terminals.

It's not going to be "O wait someone throws a snowball, let me throw one back" but "<*****> knocked down and frozen upon beaming in AGAIN".​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    scrooges :(

Asking for choice is not being a scrooge. Trying to force what you like on other people, however, is.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I honestly don't see what the problem is UNLESS the knockdown causes a disruption of an action.

Christ, I'm agreeing with Nabreeki. I think it's the apocalypse.

Knockdown may also need to be disabled on the PvE race in Q's Winter Wonderland as there are people who do have difficulty running this race for various reasons.

Knockdown should totally be enabled for the PvP race though.​​

The code already exists for making the PVE racers uninteractable - it applied both to snowballs and snowmen (heck, I think they're still immune to snowball targeting despite the lack of knockback).
  • Options

The only reason to oppose giving people a choice is if you have a desire to troll.

Completely wrong and a bit presumptuous, I might add. Generally I ignore Nagus' posting for obvious reasons, but I think there is something to be said for running around a zone, getting hit by a snowball -- maybe even knocked over -- finding the person responsible, and throwing one back. I've seen many good-natured snowball fights start this way -- some of them spanning entire instances. It's fine. The knockdown effect doesn't bother me, and I've been knocked down more than most. If people honestly cannot handle ANYTHING that's out of their own control, that sounds like some sort of mental disorder on their part. The rest of us shouldn't have our items nerfed or removed because some people need to have online safe zones. That's what tumblr is for.

You don't seem to get the point. Saying it doesn't bother YOU has absolutely nothing to do with OTHER people. Just because something doesn't bother YOU does not mean it won't bother someone else. And no one else should be forced to take part in something just because it doesn't bother you.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    No I do get the point. That people who do get that bothered by something so minimal should probably seek help and stop playing any/all games where they can't control fake pixels on a screen every second.

That logic works both ways. If people not wanting to play snowfight with you in a video game bothers you, then maybe you need help. So we can play that game if you want, or I can simply continue to advocate giving people choice. That way those who want to do it can, and those who don't can opt out. That way, neither group is forcing their preference on anyone else.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Please stop acting like this.

It's a simple thread asking the devs a simple question, in the spirit of the holidays, the reason for the season.

I'm asking you politely, please stop.

If you want me to stop asking that people have a choice whether to be a part of the snowball activities, then no; I won't be stopping that. However, if you are talking about something else, feel free to explain, and I might consider stopping that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    No, he meant both you and Nabreeki. He wants a stand down before this becomes another Green Orion Thread in the spirit of the Holiday Season.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    It's good that, in the Spirit of the Holidays, you would assume Druk is asking both to stop, but that is neither how it sounds nor how Druk usually operates*. Still, it was a nice sentiment.

*How he operates, he'll come back with "Of course that's what I meant. We should all just get along...

as long as I get my snowballs."
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    WTF?

Someone asked the Devs to get snowball fights back. That´s a simple question, isn´t it?

And it doesn´t matter in the slightest if he/she is a member of Dental or not or what posting history there is/was before.

Seriously, some of you need to get that object - that doesn´t belong there - out of your posterior.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • Options
    wolffury#8000 wolffury Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Hmmm, if the bring back the trollballs for Christmas, will they be able to interfere with fighting the snowmen, or the invasion at the lanes? If they are null and void during these times and can not bother folks racing, using the vendors at the Gazebo, or taking part in the pie eating contest, have at it. Would make a bit more sense to just make a PvP queue for it, that way everyone there WANTS to be hit with trollballs.

Cirran
    Edited: To fix spelling error
    Edited2: Why on God's green earth is it showing me as wolffury?????
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    Hmmm, if the bring back the trollballs for Christmas, will they be able to interfere with fighting the snowmen, or the invasion at the lanes? If they are null and void during these times and can not bother folks racing, using the vendors at the Gazebo, or taking part in the pie eating contest, have at it. Would make a bit more sense to just make a PvP queue for it, that way everyone there WANTS to be hit with trollballs.

Cirran
    Edited: To fix spelling error
    Edited2: Why on God's green earth is it showing me as wolffury?????

The post above is mine. I am completely clueless how I ended up posting as wolffury. I logged in with my normal info and didn't notice until I fixed the post above.....

Cirran

• Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    Was thinking back to one really fun snowball fight I had at ESD last year.
    Some guy was standing on top of Q's Throne, so I pelted him from way back, was kind of funny, we then chased each other around ESD for a while, climbing all over stuff and ducking behind objects... was actually quite amusing.

But you know what would've made it better ? The ability to dodge snowballs !
    They kind of have a heat seeking nature to them.
    Like even if you time a side roll perfectly, the snowball still hits you.
    I think it would add more fun to the shenanigans if you could side roll out of the way, if you time it just right.

Anyway that's something that came to mind when thinking about all this.

Imagine someone trying to target you, and you just "matrix-side-roll" out of the way at the last second, and whip one back in their face on your way up LOL.
    That would be pretty cool.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    It should be a skill you can hit after the snowball is thrown that gives chance at dodge.

There's a very good chance we will see another Q's next year. I would love to see a massive snowball pvp area - including the guns and turrets etc. There's a whole year to work on it. Make it so.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This is all seems like a rather pointless discussion anyway.

It's pretty obvious that after last years 'closed' discussion thread about this same topic (and the ruckus that was going on in the game), that Cryptic is not going to change things back to the way it was.

The matter is moot as far as the Dev's are concerned.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif