Install Arc
Options

How you can tell if someone is lazy or afk in Mirror event

Comments

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I am here to play the game. Which aspects I will play on a certain day may be influenced by rewards (e. g. I will probably do the Featured Episode once a week, I will play certain episodes more often if I want the equipment). But for me the reason to log on is to play the game.
    Good for you. Other people play the game in different ways. These may not be the same ways that you play it, but they are still playing it. It doesn't make your way the 'right' way.

First of all, you are not playing the game itself if you're afking, you're playing the meta game. And while that is fun as well, it is a secondary issue. When you're in the NFL you play to score more touchdowns (or points) than the other team. There may be times when losing is better for your team next year because you get a better draft pick. But that's not playing the game. When you're doing something only for better rewards or less effort, you're not playing the game.

Then: my style of play is not disturbing yours - you'll still get your rewards - but it happens the other way round.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    (a) There's the "Sunk Cost Principle" again.

No, I get a thing that does nothing besides taking a slot until I have 14 of them, you are talking about something else entirely.

It does cost you time. Which is what you were quoting as a reason to not play it. And this is what you think is wasted. Or what else would be wasted if you didn't play the other 13?
    Neither are the Transdimensional Thingamabobs. Sure, they'll go on a holiday, but not away. Next ME they can still be traded in.

No, they go away ... there is no assurance that it will return or even if they return I am still alive or you are still alive.
    It ends, end of discussion, Q Autographed Pictures are going away ... Qmmendations are likely going away as well.

Qmendations almost certainly will. They changed the special event currency for summer and announced it for winter. However, they did not change it for events like CC and MI while the other stuff was happening. And about your, my and STO's lifetime - everything could be over very soon if we're unlucky (good luck to all three of us here). But that would also invalidate your argument about getting dil in your own time - tomorrow dil could be retired.
    temporary hitpoints dont work, damage immunities dont work either ... if it hits you then it stops. Even the Quantum Absorption doesnt work entirely.

So how am I sometimes (granted: not always) able to not stop my rift closing even though the read numbers appear? Actually, I'll give you that, I don't know exactly. But something works.
    So you are playing the game, notice the mission says the entire 1st phase is optional ... they would like us to do certain OPTIONAL things but ultimate it doesnt matter, the pulse will be send after 10 minutes.

I must have missed something here. Where does it say that? Technically it changes little (except for end-of-queue payout), agreed, but what it says is something different.
    This is complaining just like not following the 10% rule on ISE because that was a thing, people did rage-quite over not following that "rule", there was also a rule for KASE to not get within 5km of the Scim so it would not cloak, people INSISTED we followed those rules for ... optional, heck KASE wasnt even for optionals just to stop it from cloaking.

There is a difference between playing badly and not playing at all.
    would you rage-quit on IS because of lost optional?

Nope. I guess, special circumstances notwithstanding. Neither do I rage quit on MI (but I will not continue playing it because the afking is sucking the fun out of it for me). Apart from that IS must be the most boring mission in the whole of STO, I don't get why people are using it as a benchmark on everything.
    We arent playing the game when we are spectators.

Precisely. So don't be a spectator, play. Even if the rewards don't keep up with your expectations.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    personally I don't like to be AFK even in mirror though I would not blame others for doing so, don't always jump to conclusions if someone does go AFK.
    people have home lives too and something may have cropped up that needs their attention, obviously if they know they are definitely not going to return they may choose to bug out but if they think they will only be a short time they may choose to just go AFK for a short time rather then leave you short handed at the end, this is especially true in mirror.
    if someone has been playing and suddenly goes absent for a short time and returns or if someone does not move strait away but joins in a few minutes in you can be sure that this is the case.
    when you are running multiple characters over the long time it takes to play mirror sometimes it just cant be avoided that you may have to be absent for a short while murphy's law dictates that if something is going to happen it will always be at the most inopportune moment, that's just life being life so try to be a little forgiving if this is the case.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    I only AFKed once, but it was due to a blood glucose sugar crash (Not a pleasent thing) I notified them in Team chat and got yelled at for being lazy and to "suck it up." They are aware if your blood sugar hits zero you pretty much go into a coma right?
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    OTOH sometimes you get lucky.

I just finished a Mirror Invasion Normal with an awesome team. We had that nice little interval before the Dreadnought arrives when you've closed all the rifts and killed all the mirror ships, you can just kind of hang out, load a fresh bowl, whatever.

And we actually got the best bonus score I have ever seen. I had seen 56 and 58 before, but this was the first time I had seen a perfect 60 marks on the bonus screen, where Obisex tells you how you did.

So sometimes you get a good team, and one of those makes up for a bunch of the less-good experiences. There's just something so satisfying about well-executed teamwork. I wonder if it's that pack hunter instinct from our dim and distant ancestors or what?
    I'd go with feeling of accomplishment from doing something right. Kind of like "Oh yeah! I win you lose sucka!!!" :D

And yes, temporary hit points DO work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    I only AFKed once, but it was due to a blood glucose sugar crash (Not a pleasent thing) I notified them in Team chat and got yelled at for being lazy and to "suck it up." They are aware if your blood sugar hits zero you pretty much go into a coma right?

Definitely sorry to hear that happened to you, but take it with a grain of salt. The reaction you received was likely out of anger due to weeks of dealing with AFK players without a real reason. The people on your team really had no way to know that your AFK was a legit medical reason and I'm sure no sane or rational person would put the completion of a video game task above your health.

Sorry to hear it, but like I said.. take with a grain of salt. Glad you're ok.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    chiyoumiku wrote: »

They probably didn't know or didn't care. To them, it might have just been a clever excuse.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    gpatton3 wrote: »
    2. They keep their shields down the entire match and they don't have a cloakable ship. Yes shields drop when cloaked. However if they stay that way the entire match you should look at where or what they are doing.
    The only people who do that are armor tankers which is a perfectly valid play style. AFK's and cheats don't remove shields. So thank you for telling everyone to look at me as though I am cheating even though all I am doing is armor tanking. Like many people I run minimum power in shields and when they go down I don't bother getting them back up. Sometimes I don't even have shields fitted. Other times I have shields but I use command powers to keep my shields at 0 to heal my team mates. Your guidance makes me look like a cheat for helping the team.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    2. They keep their shields down the entire match and they don't have a cloakable ship. Yes shields drop when cloaked. However if they stay that way the entire match you should look at where or what they are doing.
    The only people who do that are armor tankers which is a perfectly valid play style. AFK's and cheats don't remove shields. So thank you for telling everyone to look at me as though I am cheating even though all I am doing is armor tanking. Like many people I run minimum power in shields and when they go down I don't bother getting them back up. Sometimes I don't even have shields fitted. Other times I have shields but I use command powers to keep my shields at 0 to heal my team mates. Your guidance makes me look like a cheat for helping the team.
    Not having a shield on your ship at all is counterproductive. And NO, I have NOT seen anyone actually do what you described in MIN. But please, tell me more about how it does something useful...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Not having a shield on your ship at all is counterproductive. And NO, I have NOT seen anyone actually do what you described in MIN. But please, tell me more about how it does something useful...
    Needs of the Many remove my shields to give the team secondary shields and hull. Since I amour tank I fly around with zero shields and in turn the team gets boosted.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    I have finally finished the event on my three characters, but the funniest event was when an AFKer started yelling at me because I (along with the rest of the team) decided to afk along with them.

The irony that day, was strong in that player....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    Don't blame players for playing it to optimum strategy instead of Leeroy Jenkinsing a swarm of mirror ships for no good reason at all.​​

LOL. Been awhile since I thought of him.

LEEEEEEROOOOOOYYYYY!!! MMMMJEEEEEEENNNNNNNKIIIIINNNSSSSS!!!!

They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Then: my style of play is not disturbing yours - you'll still get your rewards - but it happens the other way round.

Our style of play is not disturbing yours. You are free to play any way you want. If your style of play is unsuccesful, that's not our problem. I'd recommend trying our style of play, but based on your previous statements I doubt you'd be receptive to that piece of advice. And the "set up a private queue" -advice has been given enough times already.

On the other hand, while your style of play is not (significantly) disturbing ours at the moment either, you are on these forums demanding that situation to be changed. Don't pretend to be a champion for freedom of choice here.
  • Options
    c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Our style of play is not disturbing yours. ...

Style of PLAY....if you're not playing it ISN'T a 'style of play' (don't you see the word PLAY in style of play...that's what you're NOT doing)...
    Also your 'strategic better' arguments...It would be better if someone else would wipe your 'backside', because you could get your hands dirty, so who's doint that for you?....Or it would be better if someone else would work for you and just give you money...
    Taking the way of least resistance isn't called a strategy, it's called laziness.... if it would be a strategy, it would involve the needs or opinions of the other 4 Teammates....so please stop trying to sell your laziness as something it simply isn't...

Definitions: Strategy
    2.The art and science of planning and marshalling resources for their most efficient and effective use. The term is derived from the Greek word for generalship or leading an army.

The important part in bold.... the word literally doesn't mean effective for YOU, it means effective for your army (which in this case is your TEAM).​​
  • Options
    gazurtoidgazurtoid Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Please don't confuse 'masterful inaction' with 'not playing'
    yjkZSeM.gif
  • Options
    c0nsi wrote: »
    The important part in bold.... the word literally doesn't mean effective for YOU, it means effective for your army (which in this case is your TEAM).​​
    I can't increase the efficiency of my team, because they're not actually mine to command. I could just tell them it's more efficient to wait out phase 1 and odds are some of them didn't know that. But most of them would either ignore my advice or respond with some juvenile insults, so why bother?

And since combat in STO does not consume any significant resources, they are wasting nothing but their time. I'd say it's theirs to waste.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    instead of Leeroy Jenkinsing a swarm of mirror ships for no good reason at all.​​
    I usually have my ships set to use attack pattern expertise to let me clear rifts under fire. Also.... I've been known to take on the armada and not die... at least on normal. The attack pattern expertise trick doesn't really work when taking heavy fire though. The temporary HP bubble just doesn't last long enough.

The old mirror event was equally boring IMO. Fly in, make the four armadas explode, do the boss fight, leave. It didn't actually have what I considered to be good rewards. most people did it for xp and not the loot. It gave out loot the same way CE does now.

today I had a killer PUG run, no AFKers, and there was this guy flying an Olaen who seemed to be using a CSV vape build. I spent a lot of time just following him and closing portals.

Old Mirror sucked IMO, no dil rewards, far too easy, TRIBBLE loot drops, nothing to recommend it at all except that it usually had increased XP, but it was so lame that didn't even approach making it worth playing.
    Almost everything in this game is far too easy. And queue rewards have been completely redone since then. If it existed now, the old Mirror Invasion would have the same rewards all the other queues have.

It may have been a simple pew pew mission, but at least it was honest mission with no artificial limits to your performance. Your performance mattered. You went in with a good ship and you could do it quickly. None of this "next phase in 11 minutes, no matter what you do" -business.

If they had both mirror queues available, which one do you think people would prefer to play? I know I'd play the old one.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    People not playing your way? Log off and try again. Berating people on the forums to play your way will only cause you a headache.

I get the point that this might be annoying, but as others pointed out MU is just a terriblydesigned map. It's autowin and doesn't reward actually playing and people burn out - yet they are rewarded 50k dil at the end of it. That's not a clever design here. If the mission would actually fail and cause a disadvantage for you (fail, have to wait for an hour to try again) your complaint would be valid. The way it is you can pledge but don't expect anything from it aside from coming over as a wannabe drill sergeant or something telling people how to play. The AFK situation (I never ran into any AFKers btw, maybe I have a lucky timezone?) is best resolved by Cryptic actually designing content that rewards playing.

And last but not least, already mentioned, AFK can happen for various reasons. Don't come in here and point fingers and even talk trash about a "wall of shame". Me, I AFK the very second anything comes up which I think has a higher priority than playing. Which is basically everything. Thing is, since nobody actually has a disadvantage I will not log out but take my mirror doodat. I wouldn't do it if people would be in a disadvantage, but 20 marks or so don't qualify in my book.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    luk3gittinsluk3gittins Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I aint no troll, i just like to fly my oberth and nx class in 75% off the games i play, you may sometimes see me around kerrat from time to time fliyng at about 240 being followed by a stream off angry klingons and romulens ;) *honerable mention to sir bauklots*
  • Options
    c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    gazurtoid wrote: »
    Please don't confuse 'masterful inaction' with 'not playing'
    *facepalm*
    So, what exactly qualifies this behavior as 'masterful'... something doesn't magicly become 'masterful' because YOU think it is... thats not how this works....
    Exploiting is as far from masterful as it can get...don't get me wrong, i'm not accusing you to expolit, this is simply the definition of what you're doing.
    warpangel wrote: »
    c0nsi wrote: »
    The important part in bold.... the word literally doesn't mean effective for YOU, it means effective for your army (which in this case is your TEAM).
    I can't increase the efficiency of my team, because they're not actually mine to command. I could just tell them it's more efficient to wait out phase 1 and odds are some of them didn't know that. But most of them would either ignore my advice or respond with some juvenile insults, so why bother?

And since combat in STO does not consume any significant resources, they are wasting nothing but their time. I'd say it's theirs to waste.

Thank god you aren't in command... and you even don't have to... you can increase the efficiency of your Team by simply HELPING them... thats something you should learn in kindergarden... if you really think taking command of everything is the only way to boost it's efficiency i feel sad for you....i really do...

So, your saying it is more efficient to wait out phase 1....interessting....would you please show us the numbers on your research....how we get more or the same amount of everything (including marks) in the same time as if we were doing the mission? Those Marks may not be important to you... but stating it is more efficient for your team also means it has to include the needs (or wants) of every member of that team...if it doesn't, it may be more efficient for you, but not for them...

It does not consume any ressources? Well, it consumes the most precious of all ressources there is: time. If only 1 member of your team needs the marks, and is forced to play another mission to get what he wanted, you have stolen the exact amount of time he needs to complete the second mission...so you DID take something from him...
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    1. All leave a match with an afker. They want to sit and wait to collect their bounty, make them then wait the entire match, all 15min plus cutscene time and get very little marks. Sure it might mean you have to spend that time a second time, but feel assured, they won't get the reward as large as they thought.
    Actually, we'll get exactly the reward we thought: ONE MIRROR THINGUMMY. So go ahead: Leave. You'll just be stuck in this Kafkaesque charade for even longer.

THIS. Most of us are running this TRIBBLE multiple times per day on as many characters as we can force ourselves to slog through and the goal is the completion award, no more and no less. We don't care about the small difference in marks, we can make that up in five minutes on a mission we actually enjoy. Mirror event is just about getting through the damned thing as painlessly as possible. OP doesn't seem to get it.

I want 50$ from you every month. My goal is to have more money, no more no less. I don't care about the small difference in your income, i could make that up in 2 hours of work i enjoy. Money is just about getting through the damned life as painlessly as possible. You don't seem to get it.

Nobody forces you to do this event with any one of your characters, you WANT the reward, so earn it....you don't even have to... make an afk group and go on with your 'watching the screen'-tactic... just don't force your camping to other players because YOU want something...thats selfish...

(And i've run the event also with a bunch of alt's... so, it's possible)​​
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    No shields...check if you can see them or their level matches the zone. If not it means they've alt tabbed. It stops them from spawning. All they have to do is spawn after 12 mins and bingo! Watch and you'll be amazed how many spawn in time for the dreadnought. 99.9999% will just in time, amazing!