Options

Star Trek TV Show Giveaway

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    tymersto wrote: »
    Yesh...

Well I already have the bundle, so... no help there.
    If the Hollywood Reporter article is accurate, outside of the Pilot, this new show is gonna be on CBS' VoD service. No thank you.

Thank you for the time...

Hmmm...I'm of two minds on the idea of it being Internet-only. On one hand it limits the exposure and marketing that the series will get, by paywalling it. On the other hand, I do wonder if it might allow them to take greater storytelling risks than they would otherwise (kinda like we see with Netflix series)...I especially think if they plan to go in the DS9 vein that could give them the liberty to do so. I only hope they don't go fully into "Crapsack World" like nuBsG. If they strike the same balance between optimism and realism that DS9 pulled off, I'll be good with that.

What I would ideally love to see if this DOES stay Internet only is for them to strike a deal with Amazon Prime, since I'm already carrying a Prime subscription partly to view the other episodes. (I know, I could buy the DVD's but except for DS9 I calculated the ratio of episodes liked vs. those not liked and realized I'd get a better deal with Amazon Prime when you add in all of the other Prime benefits.)

As far as the bundle, well, I never turn down free stuff, even though I doubt I'll use much of it. But hey, the ship, being a starter ship, will probably be useful for my Fed-Reman as well as my true Feds, in Admiralty, even if just as a tool to quickly dispose of assignments I don't feel like using a Pass token on or tying up my better ships with. ;)

Now one thing I am not clear on from the article about the series: is this going to be set in the reboot continuity, the prime universe, or even the STO prime universe? The Orci-Kurtzman involvement makes me think JJverse, but if there was an outright statement that it would be JJverse, I missed it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Can't argue with all the freebies recently, and this is a pretty big one. Thanks, that's awesome! :smiley:

I hope if the series is set in the post-Picard era, there are more than a few nods to the great job that you guys have been doing with the franchise lately, in the absence of a show. Some of the stuff that's been in STO absolutely needs to be referenced into on-screen canon.

The person in charge is the one who produced the JJ-verse movies and co-wrote Into Darkness - it's likely going to be set there, rather than in Prime.
    Don't be surprised if it turns out to be that 'explore the Andromeda galaxy' idea that was pitched to them a few months back.

• Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    Great news that Star Trek is returning to televison. Thank you for the free giveaways. From what I read so far the new Star Trek will, "The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966." This could mean it will (I hope) be set in the prime universe or the JJ-verse. Also "The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond, which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016." I hope this means it will be set in the prime verse. I know it is little information and they just announced the news. Plus they have said that the first episode will be on TV and the rest on TV streaming.
  • Options
    freakshow046freakshow046 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

it's being produced by CBS...CBS can't touch the reboot universe

Exactly what I just said.

CBS said, at one time, that if they were ever to do another trek show it would have NOTHING to do with those TRIBBLE-fests. But we know how honest and trustworthy Hollywood is, so we'll just have to wait and see how we will suffer this time.

signature-03.png
  • Options
    kdaaronkdaaron Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    As much as I appreciate the dedication to giveaways and content for users, please fix the known mac issue (or even update us) so that we can be a part of this celebration.
    My goal is to build the strongest ship in the federation fleet
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Can't argue with all the freebies recently, and this is a pretty big one. Thanks, that's awesome! :smiley:

I hope if the series is set in the post-Picard era, there are more than a few nods to the great job that you guys have been doing with the franchise lately, in the absence of a show. Some of the stuff that's been in STO absolutely needs to be referenced into on-screen canon.

The person in charge is the one who produced the JJ-verse movies and co-wrote Into Darkness - it's likely going to be set there, rather than in Prime.
    It informs us on star trek.com that it is not leading into the film so I hope they stay in the prime universe and CBS own star trek tv so they may keep it there
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    tymersto wrote: »
    Yesh...

Well I already have the bundle, so... no help there.
    If the Hollywood Reporter article is accurate, outside of the Pilot, this new show is gonna be on CBS' VoD service. No thank you.

Thank you for the time...

Hmmm...I'm of two minds on the idea of it being Internet-only. On one hand it limits the exposure and marketing that the series will get, by paywalling it. On the other hand, I do wonder if it might allow them to take greater storytelling risks than they would otherwise (kinda like we see with Netflix series)...I especially think if they plan to go in the DS9 vein that could give them the liberty to do so. I only hope they don't go fully into "Crapsack World" like nuBsG. If they strike the same balance between optimism and realism that DS9 pulled off, I'll be good with that.

What I would ideally love to see if this DOES stay Internet only is for them to strike a deal with Amazon Prime, since I'm already carrying a Prime subscription partly to view the other episodes. (I know, I could buy the DVD's but except for DS9 I calculated the ratio of episodes liked vs. those not liked and realized I'd get a better deal with Amazon Prime when you add in all of the other Prime benefits.)

As far as the bundle, well, I never turn down free stuff, even though I doubt I'll use much of it. But hey, the ship, being a starter ship, will probably be useful for my Fed-Reman as well as my true Feds, in Admiralty, even if just as a tool to quickly dispose of assignments I don't feel like using a Pass token on or tying up my better ships with. ;)

Now one thing I am not clear on from the article about the series: is this going to be set in the reboot continuity, the prime universe, or even the STO prime universe? The Orci-Kurtzman involvement makes me think JJverse, but if there was an outright statement that it would be JJverse, I missed it.

CBS is doing the show so I imagine it will be the prime universe
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    The person in charge is the one who produced the JJ-verse movies and co-wrote Into Darkness - it's likely going to be set there, rather than in Prime.[/quote]
    Don't be surprised if it turns out to be that 'explore the Andromeda galaxy' idea that was pitched to them a few months back.

[/quote]

It's CBS so it'll more than likely be set in the prime universe. The guy who created the Andromeda galaxy pitch posted today that it wouldn't be based on his pitch
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    steve30xxsteve30xx Member Posts: 3 New User
    At the moment all I have is a light cruiser so this giveaway ship is very welcome.
  • Options

CBS said, at one time, that if they were ever to do another trek show it would have NOTHING to do with those TRIBBLE-fests. But we know how honest and trustworthy Hollywood is, so we'll just have to wait and see how we will suffer this time.

CBS can't make a show they don't have the rights to
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    steve30xx wrote: »
    How can I claim this?

It should be in promotions somewhere in-game. Look for the Enterprise Pack. It should be claimable.

It's actually in 'Discount Packs', where it normally is.
    Promotions is always a good place to look first, and if not there, just scour the rest of the C-Store, it's not that big.

As for the show, I hope it's prime verse, post Voyager for me. My own fanfic takes places at that time, so I want to see how they envision it (not to mention game elements could be MADE canon, how awesome would that be?). :wink:

Thanks for the giveaway, Cryptic!
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options

In contrast, could CBS acknowledge STO in any fashion? I would think that's technically a "yes"...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2015

[/quote]

It's CBS so it'll more than likely be set in the prime universe. The guy who created the Andromeda galaxy pitch posted today that it wouldn't be based on his pitch[/quote]

It could still be a re-imagining of Star Trek and have nothing to do with anything we have seen before. That would be one way to get rid of all the baggage that has accumulated in the franchise from TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. It's unfortunate that the reboot we were supposed to get in 2009 was a disaster instead of a reboot, but there ya go.

The problem with this new CBS plan is that even CBS does not believe in it enough to put it on broadcast. Instead they are going to bury it in some obscure service that no one will buy into.
  • Options
    freakshow046freakshow046 Member Posts: 44 Arc User

Thank God for that!
    signature-03.png
  • Options

It's CBS so it'll more than likely be set in the prime universe. The guy who created the Andromeda galaxy pitch posted today that it wouldn't be based on his pitch[/quote]
    It could still be a re-imagining of Star Trek and have nothing to do with anything we have seen before. That would be one way to get rid of all the baggage that has accumulated in the franchise from TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. It's unfortunate that the reboot we were supposed to get in 2009 was a disaster instead of a reboot, but there ya go.

The problem with this new CBS plan is that even CBS does not believe in it enough to put it on broadcast. Instead they are going to bury it in some obscure service that no one will buy into.
    [/quote]

Sort of like when they ditched Voyager on some no name network
    Your pain runs deep.
  • Options
    ciphertuesdayciphertuesday Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Well it's pretty obvious that cryptic had no better idea that CBS will announce the new show today than we do, so it's very unlikely that STO content will be in the show anytime soon...

I hope at least cbs will not put the new story in the exactly the same time frame with STO so some of game content can possible be screened as canon.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Sort of like when they ditched Voyager on some no name network

Old Viacom owned Star Trek at the time, and put it on UPN, which they owned half of. They didn't buy CBS, the television network, until 1999, so Voyager on CBS was never very likely.

Edit: Sumner Redstone holds controlling interest in both current Viacom (corporate parent of Paramount) and CBS, so there's not as big of a hurdle to this new series being set in the reboot universe as some might imagine.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    keithcooper1966keithcooper1966 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I thank Perfect World for the freebies, but the new Star Trek series is a non-starter for me. Just another cheap way to get money out of people. I refuse to pay for a "TV" series by subscribing to CBS All Access. Even though I can afford it, it's the principle of another money grab that bothers me. Make a show that is competent and strong enough to survive on network TV. I shell out enough money to subscription services already. Paying $5.99 per month (or whatever it is) for just one show (since I don't subscribe to it) is ridiculous. Others may be OK with it, but I'm not. To each his or her own.
  • Options
    danpmkdanpmk Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This is a good time to ask if anyone else is experiencing the same bug as I have been since I got the pack a long time ago:

Once you claim the pack, and dismiss the NX, can you claim the NX class again via the Ship Requisition NPC? For me, when I go to ship requisitions, it says the NX class still costs 500 Zen; the only way for me to reclaim it is to go to the C-Store and reclaim the Enterprise Pack (which thankfully you can do as many times as you want).

If that's a bug everyone will experience, now would be a great time to fix it.
    It is corporeal.
  • Options
    ednahax101#5140 ednahax101 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Finally got to see Star Trek get a star wars series lol

hope Star wars will get a TV show with star trek content cuz logic...
  • Options
    horizons2052horizons2052 Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    I noticed that, unlike the rest of their currently running shows, this one is going to be locked behind their all-access pay wall. If indeed that is the case, I am going to pirate this series. I will not allow CBS to stop me from watching nor will I allow them to make me pay for it twice, I already pay a cable bill though I do not own a television. I am not going top pay for all access on CBS' site(the only T.V. network site currently asking for any money at all) just to watch one series.

CBS can shove it if they choose to continue to go down the path they are on currently.
  • Options
    I noticed that, unlike the rest of their currently running shows, this one is going to be locked behind their all-access pay wall. If indeed that is the case, I am going to pirate this series. I will not allow CBS to stop me from watching nor will I allow them to make me pay for it twice, I already pay a cable bill though I do not own a television. I am not going top pay for all access on CBS' site(the only T.V. network site currently asking for any money at all) just to watch one series.

CBS can shove it if they choose to continue to go down the path they are on currently.

What I would like them to do if they are going to go down the Internet route, would be to continue licensing to Amazon Prime since I already have THAT subscription. They make the earlier series available that way for no additional fee past your subscription. New material would probably be pay, but if that rate is less than the All Access rate, I would prefer to go that route.

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Wow...what a cool Monday!

New Trek show - check.

Freebies - check.

Seriously though Cryptic, that's been nearly two weeks of freebies....are you guys felling ok :p ?
    Not complaining though as anything free is always much appreciated.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Wow. Thank you very much!
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

NOT RELATED. Interesting.

Thanks Cryptic. Keep on trekking.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    Not related to the new TV series, but with the theme for season 11 and possible T6 defiant (which was announced today) i expected the DS9 pack to be given away at some point.

Enterprise pack is appreciated though. Once i have some time i may do a T1 run of all episodes.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    You all know you will have to pay to be able to watch this show yeah?
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

Actually its already been confirmed that the new series will have nothing to do with the JJ films.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

[/quote]

that "obscure service" is one of CBS's most successful products with millions of subscribers already that already gives access to the entire series starting from TOS. lol
    7aamriW.png
This discussion has been closed.