What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Herald Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    newnja wrote: »
    Am I the only one sick of fugly, unrealistic... stupid TRIBBLE ships flying all around?

The way I personally look at it, the other players' characters don't really exist...you're the only one with a captured [whatever] kind of ship. I just ignore the rest when I'm in game with a particular character.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)
    Since i've never been into lockboxes, is there any way to know what percentages of chance do I have to get an Herald dreadnought or even cruiser ?(...)

To this day Cryptic never published the odds and ignored all inquiries regarding them, so we will never know, unfortunately. Some dedicated players sampled them and came up with a figure of roughly 1% for a particular ship, that's as precise as it gets.

Bottom is and has always been: Lockboxes are gambling, nothing more, nothing less. You have a set chance on winning a particuler ship, this chance is secret but not very high. Your chances do not increase no matter how many keys you buy. If you purchase lockboxes for one particular prize be ready to spend a lot of money and be disappointed - it's gambling. The house always wins.​​

I would add to that the ONLY time it becomes "economical" to go for the lockboxes is if you place a significant enough value on the LOWER TIER prizes. You need to value the traits/kit modules/weapons, etc. sufficiently that you are fully satisfied if they are your ONLY prize. The ship IMO should be treated as "not realistically obtainable but a very happy accident if one happens to jump out in the process of getting the stuff you were REALLY planning to get."

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    geekguy79 wrote: »
    The only thing I find really dumb about this box is 4 ground kit modules that are all universal? So Tacs can drop turrets now? Somehow this just seems like an act of laziness on devs part. I think its a little obvious that its supposed to be 1 universal and 1 for each class.

I agree . . . my engineer would like to drop 2 turrets but I am pretty sure I only be able to one at a time.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    First, the Herald outfits look super cool...but I kind of feel like wearing it says, I am now an Iconian's pet/child/servant/TRIBBLE.

Second, the Triconipus is adorable and I'm kind of wanting one. But can we get those added to New Romulus' environment. Down by the river.

gulberat wrote: »
    The Herald look somehow seems like it will fit with my Reman, where it will not with any of my other toons. My EC is going to be standing by for that Thrall outfit when it hits the Exchange (and climbs down from its initial astronomical high)...
    Which I find ironic considering how much Obisek detested the Iconians and how under Hakeev's Iconian Guidance the Remans were the first race targeted for the Iconian war's machinations.
    johnnymo1 wrote: »
    The solar gate space set will be awesome, but the ground solar gate could be insane on an engineer on the ground....going to have to buy some keys!
    That caught my eye as well.
    velqua wrote: »
    We need a Pet Inventory tab or some kind of Pet "Dry Dock" for all these non-combat pets that we collect in-game and via the Lobi store.
    A ship's Vet-bay? I got it Exobiology Lab.

More ship interior functionality if you please.
    The ultimate technology of doom that is Iconian ships and weapons, conviently avalaible for everyone - nothing in this game can, from a story point of view, ever be a threat to the factions we play from this point forward. Well done pig-35.gif​​
    Which make sit seem all the more stupid. The Lobi Crystal Consortium is selling ultimate tier warships. With that gear they could secure trade routes for all time. Profit would be secured for generations. Never again would honest hardworking Ferengi have to worry about pirates stealing their latinum or "unwarranted search and seizures of contraband" or petty trade laws.
    questerius wrote: »
    The kit modules will see some use here, but I'm not thrilled to see all that iconian stuff in space.​​
    Agreed. Is it just me or shouldn't the Iconians who have their own Prime Directive, simply *BWOAOMP* gate any ships that they have unaccounted for back to the Andromeda Sphere in the Iconian System. Of all the species in the Galaxy, the Iconians are the LEAST likely to accidentally leave their toys laying around for the Ferengi to pick up.
    Really bro? Herald ships? Why not throw in a borg cube while youre at it...

Well, that would be the cheap tier 5 ship consolation prize compared to the Iconian ships now wouldn't it?

You can solo cubes in a tier 5 ship, I'm not that impressed with them anymore.
    The makeup of the box sounds to me like a welcome update, i.e. 3 ships with multiple new boff layouts sounds really cool, but I am against the player being granted access to the Iconian ships and technologies. We only just finished the story, not even resulting in an alliance yet we can fly there main fleet ships. I felt the same with the Vadwaar, Voth, Elachi etc as well but I think the Iconian's just goes a bit to far.

Anyway, I am sure people will love it, I want the game to make money, so I encourage people to open boxes and get the ships as always and just enjoy being in the trek universe :smiley:

Good Gaming Everyone!
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Why do I get the feeling you guys gave up on the Iconian storyline, and ended it asap just so you sell the god ships?

Not entirely sure Cryptic understands, that with these ships in Federation and KDF, no other power in the galaxy can stand against them.

Not entirely. I think that's a bit overstated.

We haven't had a problem destroying Iconian ships by and large. The issue is it's physically impossible to win a war of attrition against them, since they have literally and entire Dyson's Sphere's volume of warships that can just appear out of nowhere.

The Iconians have a vast Vast VAAASSST numerical advantage. The alliance was outnumbered like 100 to one. And the Iconians could surprise attack with every attack, bypassing all defenses.

These lockbox ships A) Don't come in numbers equating to all the other fleets in the galaxy and B) don't have unlimited access to the Iconian Gateway network, which I hope given their desire to be left alone, they have shut down except for the ones that the Alliance possesses and is actively utilizing such as the Jouret system, Jenolen, and Solanae Sphere connections.

So the Galaxy conquering capabilities of these ships is severely muted. Still it's likely something that will give someone pause if they show up in a system with bad intentions and there's an Iconian Dreadnought in orbit flying Starfleet IFF.

It's interesting because one would wonder what the reputation of the Alliance would be? It should be well known that a treaty was signed instead of actively killing them.
    Not entirely sure Cryptic understands, that with these ships in Federation and KDF, no other power in the galaxy can stand against them.
    Didn't we mostly trash those ships during the Iconian storyline and the only reason they were winning was because of superior numbers, hit-and-run tactics and Hollywood tactics from the Alliance?

Precisely.
    kelettes wrote: »
    Hell, even the Borg should be worried right about now.....

Agreed. Flick of a switch and *SNAP* one more cube gutted from the inside, using your ship's gateway tech.

IF we're going to use Herald ships, will they at least inherit the "gate-in" animation from the NPC ships? XD

I was wondering that. I mean I understand that all transwarp all the time would be a bit much, but having the Iconian ship's warp in and warp out animation be their normal gate porting is pretty sensible. Warp in sector space would have a subspace effect of a dark blue and purple overlay. Maybe? I don't know.
    In fact, wasn't that part of backstory, that the Iconians (and later the Dewans) developed Gate technology and never Warp Drive?

No the Dewans were developing warp drive, but cancelled the project when they rediscovered their master's gateway. Thus when the gateway failed they doomed their own species to extinction since they never finished exploring the alternatives. A perfect example of why non-interference is a positive thing. Without the Iconians left over technology, the Dewans would be an ancient species of distinction.

The Iconians we have no idea. I imagine a species that could develop Gateway technology from scratch either went through all the mathematics and a warp drive period and/or would be able to easily master warp technology. At the very least duplicate it with their own ships. If they can manipulate Omega Molecules to move small star systems, then creating an asymmetrical subspace bubble in real space should be a trifle.
    Awwww and here I was hoping to actually get my hands on an "Iconian" outfit.
    Ive wanted one of those since the first Iconian appeared a few years ago. :(

Wouldn't that...uhhh...the Iconian's pieces...I mean, would you want them to float over your uniform?

Because...for the most part the modern Iconians are naked. I mean from what I've observed they have a transparent force field over their skin...or maybe it is their skin now, but the floating attachments...aside from those, they're naked.

And wouldn't Iconians outfits by default only apply to female characters?

Wait...I see what you did there, carry on. :wink:
    The only thing I find really dumb about this box is 4 ground kit modules that are all universal? So Tacs can drop turrets now? Somehow this just seems like an act of laziness on devs part. I think its a little obvious that its supposed to be 1 universal and 1 for each class.
    That's a good point. I guess why sell two to each character when you can sell four.

Am I the only one sick of fugly, unrealistic... stupid TRIBBLE ships flying all around?

Define unrealistic.
    iamynaught wrote: »

To play devil's advocate, I think the section I highlighted is the key here. While no other power in THIS galaxy may be able to stand against them, Cryptic has already hinted that the Mirror Universe didn't just win against their version of the Iconians, they beat them.

Now it could be that they did the same thing the prime universe did and revert to time travel but instead decided to take the Sela option and wiped them out in the past, thereby changing their own timeline and now the Mirror Universe we will be seeing starting with Season 11 isn't your father's MU. This new (52 ;)) MU could have their own version of Iconian tech which may be how they are posing a threat to us.
    Here's the key. They may have also taken the World Heart for themselves and are decoding the info inside.
    tmassx wrote: »

You are not only one.. But after undine's flying spiky clubs, you can expect anything. 260px-Vonph_Battleship.png?version=2048a39a6685d0b452cd9a9ff4d2d928

Undine ships remind me of the X-29 actually.
    Bought STO on release date, been playing then and now, but never posted on the official forum. Feels like a special day.

Anyway, I've never wanted a ship so much as this Herald dreadnough carrier. I know some people don't like Herald ship design, but I don't care, I love it. (now the song will be stuck with you for a while)

Never been a fan of buying lockboxes for a specific ship (i prefer buying keys occasionnaly for a little surprise gift). However, I might make an exception for this dreadnought.

Since i've never been into lockboxes, is there any way to know what percentages of chance do I have to get an Herald dreadnought or even cruiser ?

Thank you in advance guys, and I'll see you on the final frontier. :-)

Since you've been playing for so long, what's your EC balance looking like. It may be far cheaper and less of a headache to buy the ships off the exchange if you're trying to minimize your chances.
    About time we get a dread carrier, hate that it is a lockbox prize but will buy keys to get it.
    Wouldn't be surprised if this is what they plan to do with the T6 Scimitar , T6 Odyessy , and T6 Bortasqu'.

Noooo. The faction ships are C-store. Lockboxes are for ships that you would normally never be able to fly. I do think the flagships will be the last T6s to come out though that are rereleases/updates.
    (...)
    Since i've never been into lockboxes, is there any way to know what percentages of chance do I have to get an Herald dreadnought or even cruiser ?(...)

To this day Cryptic never published the odds and ignored all inquiries regarding them, so we will never know, unfortunately. Some dedicated players sampled them and came up with a figure of roughly 1% for a particular ship, that's as precise as it gets.

Bottom is and has always been: Lockboxes are gambling, nothing more, nothing less. You have a set chance on winning a particuler ship, this chance is secret but not very high. Your chances do not increase no matter how many keys you buy. If you purchase lockboxes for one particular prize be ready to spend a lot of money and be disappointed - it's gambling. The house always wins.​​

I would add to that the ONLY time it becomes "economical" to go for the lockboxes is if you place a significant enough value on the LOWER TIER prizes. You need to value the traits/kit modules/weapons, etc. sufficiently that you are fully satisfied if they are your ONLY prize. The ship IMO should be treated as "not realistically obtainable but a very happy accident if one happens to jump out in the process of getting the stuff you were REALLY planning to get."

Agreed. Frankly those are the things that I look for on the exchange as well. Those ships are just two rare. It's like relying on winning the lottery, only this is vastly more expensive than the lottery.

I agree . . . my engineer would like to drop 2 turrets but I am pretty sure I only be able to one at a time.

Well...there's a DOFF for that. Fabrication Engineer.

But I don't know, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be able to drop the Iconian turret and a normal one. Consider that you can have two drones follow you around, support and seeker.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    captaind3 wrote: »
    First, the Herald outfits look super cool...but I kind of feel like wearing it says, I am now an Iconian's pet/child/servant/TRIBBLE.

I highly doubt my Reman would wear it without making her own modifications. She IS very exacting about her fashion that way. I think for her...assuming she didn't pull an "inwented in Rem[ia]" thing and claim she or some other Reman invented the outfit in the first place (which come to think of it is quite likely for her!), it would be more of a middle-finger, "Whatever you do, I can do it cooler and you can't control it or do anything about it so why don't you just give it a try, T'Ket, and see how that goes for you?" ;)

She similarly has no shame about the fact that her Dyson Science Destroyer uses stolen/reverse-engineered tech from the Solanae (she didn't get the ship a new paint job either; she shows that fact off) and if she can get hold of anything Iconian/Herald, she'll rig that to it too. It kinda works with the way I see that character.

That and even before the weapon made the lockbox I envisioned her grabbing one of those Herald staves (which we DO see getting left on the floor in game before the dead NPC fades out) and even if she gave one to Republic researchers, I know very well she would've kept one for herself either by arguing her right to claim it as a trophy, or just (intentionally) not bothering to report the thing.

(In contrast, I do not see my Starfleet toons doing that with the Herald gear.)
    [Regarding the aesthetic of the Thrall outfit seeming almost Reman]

Which I find ironic considering how much Obisek detested the Iconians and how under Hakeev's Iconian Guidance the Remans were the first race targeted for the Iconian war's machinations.

In a way yes. Though out of universe, when you consider that the Remans were, like the Heralds, also designed to resemble a fantasy character (Nosferatu) more than sci-fi, it actually makes a weird kind of sense.

• Options
    cervantes3cervantes3 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Highly disappointed, i expected a Terran lockbox.
    Honestly, i hate the design of the iconian's ship so i'll pass.
    I'm wondering if i should buy the Vaadwaur ships for my tac or waiting for a hypotetical mirror universe one.
  • Options
    cervantes3 wrote: »
    Highly disappointed, i expected a Terran lockbox.

My guess is that will be the NEXT lockbox. The pattern typically is that we get the lockbox once we vanquish an enemy (i.e. in the next season, not the one where we're fighting them).

• Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    tmassx wrote: »
    Herald kit modules are from fantasy games and not sci-fi.

Agreed: Star Trek is Science Fiction, not Fantasy. I'm surprised CBS doesn't seem to care it is being turned into fantasy with every new lockbox and still keep the name Star Trek.

The MMO market is hypersaturated in all things fantasy already. Give us Sci-Fi Star Trek fans a break.

The kaleidoscopic eye assault of strobe lights and multicolors filling 90% of the screen (literally) going on for seconds, and spamming combat areas to the point of cluster-b-ing all the NPC & PCs so you don't even see what's there anymore looks nothing like Star Trek. I'm happy some like this kind of thing, but to those that don't, give us an option to turn it all off.

Also if those ground kits are truly universal, why even offer different careers if they'll just be added to a melting pot. It is bad enough there are no more faction-specific stories, fleet holdings, or maps being added, everyone gets to be a 'happy' Fed colony, Klingon warriors embracing peace and fed-aristocracy, Romulans turned into extroverted xenophile scavenger-beggars.

I truly hope the Mirror Universe will expose the artificiality of this cease-fire and reveal the meaning of faction differences, and also force different careers and ship classes to shine at their specialty and team role, or perish. Perhaps the Romulan Star Empire will infiltrate the Terrans so we can bring the Prime Universe back to its senses.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    I have to be honest ,, to be releasing those Heralds T6 ships are the worst idea ever.. but I guess some people will be happy.
  • Options
    nathraelnathrael Member Posts: 264 Arc User

The way I personally look at it, the other players' characters don't really exist...you're the only one with a captured [whatever] kind of ship. I just ignore the rest when I'm in game with a particular character.

This is how I see it as well. If I get a ship it's basically from L'Miren as a way to help out the Other.

The dichotomy of course occures between the story and the nature of an MMO.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    We've been through the looking glass for some time now. Best to just enjoy the wild ride as long as it lasts.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    Yeah, I'm a bit put off by the decision to make this an Iconian lock box myself. Sure the Iconian's were the ones to really make these vessesls "pop", especially since they had superior numbers and such...BUT Seven of Nine DID SAY that the Borg were trying to acquire Iconian technology and that Iconian technology was superior to the Borgs... So

We might as well have a Borg lock box at this stage then, since this lockbox jumps the shark as it were. At least as I see it.

Also - One more thing regarding the Blog announcing the lockbox:

It states:

"By opening one of the new Herald Lock Boxes, players will be able to win the Herald Quas Flight Deck Cruiser [T6]. This ship is the workhouse of the Iconian Herald fleet."

Now, being a long time player myself, I know that it should say that "By opening one of the new Herald Lock Boxes, players
    HAVE A CHANCE to win the Herald Quas Flight Deck Cruiser"...

I really think it's important to add that players have a "Chance". I feel it's really It's important to be precise with the language here, as you normally are.

Just trying to help here. :D
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    When do we get the stats? I want to know the Baltim's weapon, console, and BOff layout.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    velqua wrote: »
    We need a Pet Inventory tab or some kind of Pet "Dry Dock" for all these non-combat pets that we collect in-game and via the Lobi store.

I agree whole heartedly!!!!!!
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Also, Trendy, dat secret link in the blog. "LT was here" :lol:
    Pinky scares me

[img][/img]8b55249305c6988e93c5aba77aa80caa1445573092.png

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    Pinky scares me

B)

Why, are you Pac-Man? ;)

• Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    Pinky scares me

B)

Is it sticking out it's tongue at us ? :p
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Yes he is, or otherwise his nose had a problem, maybe some snot.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Trendy: LOL

now I must have one. I wonder if it turns blue after being chased by the future release on Paman in the MU Terran lockbox...
    5rFUCPd.png

• Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    yakodym wrote: »
    tumblr_n5izkd22E01qhnegdo1_r1_500.jpg
    EXACTLY! This is dead on about the whole Lockbox Roulette!
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Just a thought with these new abilities that the Herald Lockbox ships have there are going to be a hell of a lot more whiners saying they are OPed in PVE and that they are getting AFK penalty for not meeting the minimum DPS threshold.
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yay!
    I have an Iconian descendant character and now I can get the ship, clothing and weapons for her!

THE LOVE IS REAL.
    ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I see some ground gear to get. Unless a ship is cheap enough. I will add these to my lockbox stash to be opened later in the future.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Looks great! Even if I won't try to open them, I'll try to get this raider. However, I'm disappointed the story behind the box is merely an attempt to reverse-engineer the Herald tech...
    Which brings me to the in-universe logical fail which applies to most lockboxes' content: how/why is this stuff being distributed by some business consortium instead of being found in the appropriate rep tracks' dilithium stores? Keep in mind when preparing an answer that a good many examples of rep gear are explicitly stated as being a result of reverse-engineering...
    I'd wondered about that, too. With the exception of the turret, all of these look Sort of related: even as universal modules, do they benefit from career-track-specific skills and traits? It looks like players who opted for the science track can get more out of the gravimetric modules...
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    The only thing that really interests me in this latest blog is the Triconipus pet.

I want one. It's awesome.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The only thing that really interests me in this latest blog is the Triconipus pet.

Too bad we can't name them Pinky and Inky. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User

Too bad we can't name them Pinky and Inky. :p

That would be even more awesome. :D

• Options
    barimanforumsbarimanforums Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    ok... so when are we getting our Cooperative/Borg ships? Story wise, the Herald ships are more advanced than the Borg, so that argument just went out the window....