What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Herald Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Herald ships? O.O For reals? Might as well go ahead and stuff a Borg cube in those boxes. :neutral:

At least you guys waited until our business with the Icos was concluded.
    Players having these ships during the war would've made them a lot less threatening.

And yeah I too expected a Terran box. :smile:
    Post edited by kelettes on
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    The consortium is quick to point out that while the Triconipus has tentacles and floats through the air
    Sorry, hentai fans! :tongue:

Looks great! Even if I won't try to open them, I'll try to get this raider. However, I'm disappointed the story behind the box is merely an attempt to reverse-engineer the Herald tech, instead of the Iconian Council (minus T'Ket, of course) offering them as a beginning of apology to the quadrants.

T'Ket is gonna feel even more insulted to see the "lesser races" use the ships of her people.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,330 Arc User
    Really bro? Herald ships? Why not throw in a borg cube while youre at it...

For obvious reasons: that would be overpowered. /ehm never mind.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
    The makeup of the box sounds to me like a welcome update, i.e. 3 ships with multiple new boff layouts sounds really cool, but I am against the player being granted access to the Iconian ships and technologies. We only just finished the story, not even resulting in an alliance yet we can fly there main fleet ships. I felt the same with the Vadwaar, Voth, Elachi etc as well but I think the Iconian's just goes a bit to far.

Anyway, I am sure people will love it, I want the game to make money, so I encourage people to open boxes and get the ships as always and just enjoy being in the trek universe :smiley:

Good Gaming Everyone!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Really bro? Herald ships? Why not throw in a borg cube while youre at it...

For obvious reasons: that would be overpowered. /ehm never mind.

As I said earlier, Starfleet and the KDF are now made up to a good portion of Iconic Iconian starships and opening solar gates becomes a standard armament. Effectively, nothing can threaten the Alliance any more, ever again at this point. This is what the writing suggests.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Why do I get the feeling you guys gave up on the Iconian storyline, and ended it asap just so you sell the god ships?

Not entirely sure Cryptic understands, that with these ships in Federation and KDF, no other power in the galaxy can stand against them.

Hell, even the Borg should be worried right about now.....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    (...)

To be fair, Star Trek's writing neutered the Borg so bad, one 8472 bioship could effectively wipe out a group of three to five cubes. And we already have a 8472 lockbox, so...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Agreed. Flick of a switch and *SNAP* one more cube gutted from the inside, using your ship's gateway tech.

IF we're going to use Herald ships, will they at least inherit the "gate-in" animation from the NPC ships? XD
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,330 Arc User
    The makeup of the box sounds to me like a welcome update, i.e. 3 ships with multiple new boff layouts sounds really cool, but I am against the player being granted access to the Iconian ships and technologies. We only just finished the story, not even resulting in an alliance yet we can fly there main fleet ships. I felt the same with the Vadwaar, Voth, Elachi etc as well but I think the Iconian's just goes a bit to far.

Anyway, I am sure people will love it, I want the game to make money, so I encourage people to open boxes and get the ships as always and just enjoy being in the trek universe :smiley:

Good Gaming Everyone!

Truth be told we all knew it would happen eventually when we could fly Undine vessels.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    Not entirely sure Cryptic understands, that with these ships in Federation and KDF, no other power in the galaxy can stand against them.
    Didn't we mostly trash those ships during the Iconian storyline and the only reason they were winning was because of superior numbers, hit-and-run tactics and Hollywood tactics from the Alliance?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    Predictable as always cryptic
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    (...)

To be fair, Star Trek's writing neutered the Borg so bad, one 8472 bioship could effectively wipe out a group of three to five cubes. And we already have a 8472 lockbox, so...​​

I was trying to be sarcastic about the Borg. I forget the it doesn't translate well in text, unless it is way way way to obvious. ;)

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    diggingcrumpetdiggingcrumpet Member Posts: 88 Bug Hunter
    questerius wrote: »

Good Gaming Everyone!

Truth be told we all knew it would happen eventually when we could fly Undine vessels.​​

Yeh true, they could of left the Iconians alone for a while with a Terren box for Season 11 I guess. Anyways...
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I'm just going to go find all the people who said that Iconian lockboxes would be the last straw and would definitely make them quit the game forever. I'm going to hang around them and see if I can have their stuff.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    So, the Iconians who folloowed something that is basically the Prime Directive were nearly wiped out by "lesser" races for their technology. The Alliance was loosing the war and only managed to escape total annihilation by time travel stuff.

But now, we are actively stealing their technology and tap into their gateway system for the lulz I guess. Seems rather careless...

:p
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Didn't we mostly trash those ships during the Iconian storyline and the only reason they were winning was because of superior numbers, hit-and-run tactics and Hollywood tactics from the Alliance?

I think the primary advantage for the Herald forces where their logistics. Their ships might have been a bit more advanced in some areas than others, but superior numbers and instant-gating technology made them superior.

I think the Hollywood Tactics cancelled each other out. You're probably referring to the attack on the Herald Sphere, which I am actually not convinced was a fundamentally terrible idea. It was just a fundamentally terrible situation. Normally, hit & run tactics are the choice of numerically lesser forces to keep a numerically superior force busy and force them to distribute their forces. But this time, we had a force with superior numbers and the ability to easily perform hit & run tactics, while we could actually not perform any hit & runs against them, since they didn't need to protect anything but the Herald Sphere. Attacking the Herald Sphere was an extreme long shot, but it was also the only target of value the Heralds had - damaging or even disabling it could have neutered their advantages. And the more forces you lose trying to defend yourself against the Heralds, the lower your chances are if you launch an attack.
    The Sphere also presented the only target where we might not have to actually beat every enemy ship to prevail - if we could damage the gateway infrastructure or kill the Iconian leaders, we might have broken their advantage or their will to fight.

But the real Hollywood Tactics were used by the Heralds, because they didn't really utilize their strengths. Just look at the space queue on Q'onos. Why do the Heralds have to arrive in waves? If they can't gate all in at the same time, shouldn't they assemble at least somewhere else so they can warp in "conventionally" as a huge fighting force? At the speed displayed in the game, they could assemble all ships in 10 minutes or so - that can't be enough time for our forces to mobilize a similar or superior number of ships.

The Heralds have of course reason to distribute their attacks a bit - they must force us to position a defence force on all potential targets (which are a lot), but there is no reason to do so by basically throwing ships at us in waves. It should be almost impossible for us to ever beat one of their "real" invasion forces, since we have to spread ourselves thin, while they can focus their forces.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    qjunior wrote: »
    So, the Iconians who folloowed something that is basically the Prime Directive were nearly wiped out by "lesser" races for their technology. The Alliance was loosing the war and only managed to escape total annihilation by time travel stuff.

But now, we are actively stealing their technology and tap into their gateway system for the lulz I guess. Seems rather careless...

:p
    They didn't follow it for 200 thousand years, and we have Solanae, Elachi and rearmed Vaadwaur now (not to mention T'Ket,) so "borrowing" some of their tech is only fair, and with the numbers they still must have they won't notice. :D

That said, yeah... Lot's of cheese in this lockbox, but I refuse to whine about it. And I kind of like Iconoan gun visuals, so if the proc isn't horrible...
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited October 2015

I think the primary advantage for the Herald forces where their logistics.
    That and their endless numbers. The ships themselves were defeatable.
    But the real Hollywood Tactics were used by the Heralds, because they didn't really utilize their strengths. Just look at the space queue on Q'onos. Why do the Heralds have to arrive in waves? If they can't gate all in at the same time, shouldn't they assemble at least somewhere else so they can warp in "conventionally" as a huge fighting force?
    I don't think Herald ships are warp-capable. I've never seen them warp in, ever. And why would you even need warp drive when you've had gateway technology for as long as you can think back?
    The specific development of warp drive is not required for interstellar travel. It's just the most common travel method.
    Transwarp is essentially gateway tech. Slipstream is quite different from warp. And then there's the ancient bajoran tachyon sail ship.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    And so it begins... :o
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    In fact, wasn't that part of backstory, that the Iconians (and later the Dewans) developed Gate technology and never Warp Drive?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    devilzaphandevilzaphan Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    About time we get a dread carrier, hate that it is a lockbox prize but will buy keys to get it.
    Romulan sexy time
    romulancommander1.jpg

• Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    Awwww and here I was hoping to actually get my hands on an "Iconian" outfit.
    Ive wanted one of those since the first Iconian appeared a few years ago. :(
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    simply ridiculous. herald ships for the players, it is a shame. Heralds are still the ultimate threat, their technology shouldn't be available. Even the story is a non sense now, how the iconians could let their technology at the other species?

everything is good to make money. I'm really disappointed by Cryptic, right now.
  • Options
    delliboydelliboy Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    I was going to save my zen for that carrier and buy me an intel ship but you got me seriously wanting to buy lock box keys now
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    In fact, wasn't that part of backstory, that the Iconians (and later the Dewans) developed Gate technology and never Warp Drive?

I think it was part of the Butterfly store that if the Iconians were removed from the time stream, warp was developed much later and the Federation never forms due to all the serious changes resulting from that.

Now, this isn't clear evidence that the Iconians had warp capability themselves, but it seems still very likely to me. And they certainly were able to give the Vaadwaur modern warp drives.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I'll just wait with the popcorn machine for the first people who spend an astronomical sum on keys trying to get that dreadnought and then come in here to whine about it when they don't and demand a refund.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky..... I WANT MOAR!!!!! :smiley:
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    IMO i don't like design of herald's ships with those of " non-attaching " pieces. They look like strange plastic things. Herald kit modules are from fantasy games and not sci-fi. This time the developers did not invent anything new and only give the players what they already have npcs. What I would like to commend is the thrall outfit and armor , surely someone will buy a shooting stick and flying jellyfish pet.
    Thrall outfit and armor are Lobi store , so there is no reason to opened the herald lock- box . Better open Xindi - terrestrial and hope for kemocite or vortex . The next lock -box could be mirror universe , T6 ships like Warship Voyager, klingon-cardassian alliance ship and red romulan bird-of-prey, I think that could be more interest among players . But maybe i am wrong , and we'll see a lot of these herald's monsters.
    I am glad that the season 11 we'll have a nice armor and weapons from the reputation and especially red disruptors :)
    thumb.jpg
  • Options
    geekguy79geekguy79 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    The only thing I find really dumb about this box is 4 ground kit modules that are all universal? So Tacs can drop turrets now? Somehow this just seems like an act of laziness on devs part. I think its a little obvious that its supposed to be 1 universal and 1 for each class.