What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Extended Platform Maintenance – October 13

Comments

• Options
    borganthborganth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Is there a reason a 175mb patch keeps patching everytime I load the launcher?

I'm getting the same thing...just started a couple days ago...
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    borganth wrote: »
    sov42 wrote: »
    Is there a reason a 175mb patch keeps patching everytime I load the launcher?

I'm getting the same thing...just started a couple days ago...

Prepatching for S11, maybe?

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I dunno... prepatching is usually when you close the game.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Same 87 meg patch every login for nigh on a week now.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Similar issue here, but it's not always downloading, more like every other time. And the actual download is ~12 MB.
  • Options
    yeah, it takes like 20 secs or so for whatever....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58
    tinyfisted wrote: »

Intriguing. If you guys have time, could I ask you to grab the version number it's trying to patch to? Also, if any of you play CO or NW, could you check whether this is also happening for those games? It'd help us figure out the issue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

Intriguing. If you guys have time, could I ask you to grab the version number it's trying to patch to? Also, if any of you play CO or NW, could you check whether this is also happening for those games? It'd help us figure out the issue.

Restarted the launcher, got another 136mb patch.

6r6kwz.jpg

• Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    A 173mb one for me:

tumblr_nw87vt9QGo1szzlhko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nw87vt9QGo1szzlhko2_540.jpg

Seems to be the same version as above. (Yes I have horrible screen res, I know)
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    The same version number and patch size as sov42.
    I'm playing on Linux (xubuntu utopic 64 bit, lowlatency kernel, the game was installed by PlayOnLinux script,) and had on-demand patching disabled, all files downloaded, and then re-enabled Saturday, just before "file not found" bug hit. Which is about the time when those weird patches started.
  • Options
    ilithyn wrote: »
    A 173mb one for me:

tumblr_nw87vt9QGo1szzlhko1_540.jpg

tumblr_nw87vt9QGo1szzlhko2_540.jpg

Seems to be the same version as above. (Yes I have horrible screen res, I know)
    I see the same version number. But also each time it brings up the patch it has a different size. it might be 169 this time and 173 the next.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    My version is the same too

hVFMtK3.jpg

But the patch size not. And it changes, too. It was 180 MB, 170, 160, and I think I've seen 68 or something like that too.

kSkpp42.jpg

I play on Linux, and the game is installed through Wine.

I haven't experienced the "file not found" problem people talk about myself. I think it happened in a time zone when I sleep.​​
    Post edited by guljarol on
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    Yup. Same patch number as everyone else. This time, it was a 137 meg patch.
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    And it seemed the patch thing fixed it. It now says 30 rather than 28 at the end and there's now stealth patch at the beginning. Yes after I had the whole patch down I closed the launcher and arc completely and brought it back up again. Behaved like normal now.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    siriusmusictownsiriusmusictown Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I got the donw load twice, changed options to VERIFY on startup (Or whatever that option says), and no problems since tuesday. Yay for team.
    nebfab wrote: »
    The same version number and patch size as sov42.
    I'm playing on Linux (xubuntu utopic 64 bit, lowlatency kernel, the game was installed by PlayOnLinux script,) and had on-demand patching disabled, all files downloaded, and then re-enabled Saturday, just before "file not found" bug hit. Which is about the time when those weird patches started.

BY the way: TIP OF THE HAT. I have been using UBUNTU for most of my other home computing, but it had not occurred to me to play games like STO on LINUX. Please post a link to related info.

• Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    Hmm not seeing the Kara in the ships store , just the zen section store.
    Also no module discount on the fleet haapax advance warbird t6 for buying the Kara , unless this is intentional?
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    And it seemed the patch thing fixed it. It now says 30 rather than 28 at the end and there's now stealth patch at the beginning. Yes after I had the whole patch down I closed the launcher and arc completely and brought it back up again. Behaved like normal now.

Excellent. We did some poking at it yesterday but couldn't get anywhere, and decided to wait for today to see if the patch fixed the issue. Glad to see it did.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2015

Excellent. We did some poking at it yesterday but couldn't get anywhere, and decided to wait for today to see if the patch fixed the issue. Glad to see it did.

@trailturtle While I see you around this thread, I do have one question. Is the part of this current patch aimed at dealing with memory overruns going to stop the whitescreen crashes during map transitions or when you Alt+Tab out of the window? Or was there a different symptom set you were aiming that fix at?

As I mentioned yesterday, I have been having the whitescreen crash problem in Windows 8.1 during map transitions and Alt+Tabs, and while I'm contemplating trying a full reinstall, if you think I may be able to hold off on that, I'd like to know. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »

@trailturtle While I see you around this thread, I do have one question. Is the part of this current patch aimed at dealing with memory overruns going to stop the whitescreen crashes during map transitions or when you Alt+Tab out of the window? Or was there a different symptom set you were aiming that fix at?

As I mentioned yesterday, I have been having the whitescreen crash problem in Windows 8.1 during map transitions and Alt+Tabs, and while I'm contemplating trying a full reinstall, if you think I may be able to hold off on that, I'd like to know. :)

My involvement with STO specifically is pretty limited these days -- I'm more reactive / LiveOps-emergency guy -- so I don't know whether any changes were made around that. For what it's worth, though, I haven't heard anything about that problem, nor fixing it.

Are other people experiencing this whitescreen crash?
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    Oh, OK...I have not been able to pin down whether the whitescreen crash is happening due to something server-side or something client side, so apologies if I sent my question the wrong direction. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    gulberat wrote: »

My involvement with STO specifically is pretty limited these days -- I'm more reactive / LiveOps-emergency guy -- so I don't know whether any changes were made around that. For what it's worth, though, I haven't heard anything about that problem, nor fixing it.

Are other people experiencing this whitescreen crash?
    I had the foundry editor crash on me earlier this week. Not sure why. I was just placing rock floor panels and it didn't crash until I got to around 12 or 13 panels placed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited October 2015

BY the way: TIP OF THE HAT. I have been using UBUNTU for most of my other home computing, but it had not occurred to me to play games like STO on LINUX. Please post a link to related info.

There are several ways, the simplest would be to get PlayOnLinux, It's a very neat front-end for running Wine stuff, and there are tons of community-made scripts for it that make setting up Wine, prerequisite stuff like .Net libraries and the game itself almost as straightforward as on Windows. It is in Ubuntu repositories, so use whatever package manager you prefer to install it, run the front end, click "install a program" and search for "Star Trek Online." The script should install all the necessary prerequisite stuff and then run the launcher, and then it goes exactly like Windows install (don't change any options like target directory),.. Until the first launch of the STO itself. The first start-up would take up to half an hour, that's normal and would go away (as far as I understand, some graphics stuff needs conversion to work properly on non-Windows systems, and that's what the game is doing.)

In case you need access to stuff like keybind files, etc. the path to the "live" directory is /home/<username>/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/StarTrekOnline/drive_c/Program Files/Cryptic Studios/Star Trek Online/Live

One issue I have with Wine is that it and Pulseaudio don't work together very well, and there's no single definitive solution to sound not working or sounding garbled or "sped up" in Wine. If you have that problem, there are several things that usually work, but they depend on your exact system and would probably be better explained somewhere like askubuntu than by me...
  • Options
    prapiliusprapilius Member Posts: 13 Arc User

STO + NW: Launcher Version: CL_2014_12_15_18_53
    concerned only the STO-launcher - not the NW-launcher
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    One thing I have noticed, for a while now, the FPS in social zones (ESD for example) get really slowed down when there's 15+ people in an instance. Been noticing that since the end of the Risa event.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy I've noticed that I had to wipe nearly all my internet files so I could get past the "maintenance" page. Please fix.
  • Options
    elvenaarelvenaar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy I've noticed that I had to wipe nearly all my internet files so I could get past the "maintenance" page. Please fix.

Other PWE games have their news page fixed, just STO has the bug of the maintenance page on it, it would seem. STO news page keeps saying it's udner maintenance. Individual news items that I get link to from outside sources liek the launcher will pop up, but once I hit the news button on them they go back to the maintenance page.
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    it was driving me nuts. Clear all catche, active log in and browsing history
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Hmm, I really don't feel like deleting browser history. And that persisting 'maintenance page' is annoying.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    Is it down to this maintainance that STO is sort of broken for me? Using Win10 if its appropriate I always got a client hang every time I changed toon in game which booted me out of the game. Changing to Admin mode left me in perpetual hang but never booted me. The game works normally if I go compatability mode for Vista SP2 suggesting the fix for older OS's messed stuff up for the newer OS's.

On that note I then logged back in to tribble and had a whopping 0.3 Frames/second as for some reason the game settings had changed to only use 128 MB of video ram. So given we had win 10 crashes on holo due to resolution changes and tribble slowdowns due to ram settings altered can we please stop messing with users GamePref files?

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    Hmm, I really don't feel like deleting browser history. And that persisting 'maintenance page' is annoying.

You don't have to delete your browser history, just your 'Temporary Internet Files' - your history remains untouched.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...