test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what did you make of the ending of the iconian war(Midnight)

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »
    Consider the effect it had on starships. The signal it was putting out scrambled the circuitry of Federation and Klingon technology alike..... I think it may be where the devs got the idea for the EMP probe Intel power.
    Perhaps someone with greater engineering/physics knowledge could step in here, but that raises two questions for me:

1) What are the effects of an EMP underwater, versus a land/space scenario? Is the EMP mitigated or heightened underwater?
    Well, certain frequencies(coincidently the same ones that do the most damage to electronics) are absorbed by water, but otherwise it's the same. There's nothing I can think of that would make it worse.

Assuming a species launched a starship with a water "atmosphere" as opposed to air, could we safely assume that their sensitive electronics would be better shielded than they are in a land dweller's ship? Would energy across all frequencies be absorbed/mitigated more by water than by air?

If that's the case, and the Probe creators never thought land dwellers could become sentient, I do wonder if they would never have anticipated such "poorly" shielded electronics as to kill starships in their tracks.

That said, they could still have done it out of malice--I don't rule that out by any means.
    2) Why were the Federation and Klingon ships not shielded against EMP considering that on Earth we've known the possibility since the 20th century, and in canon multiple worlds have actually had a nuclear war? (And Earth got hit in the 19th century by the Carrington Event.) Were they just flat-out unshielded, or did the Probe cut through EMP shielding they did have in place?

The answers to these questions speak to the Probe creators' mindset and may increase or decrease the likelihood they deliberately engineered it as an offensive weapon as opposed to an unintended side effect.
    Well, the second one, sort of. IIRC the Probe wasn't an actual EMP and it was broadcasting on subspace channels as well as normal space.

That is one question I have too. Have we established anywhere what the nature of the signal is?
    Welll.... the frequencies that are absorbed by water heat the water. So a powerful signal might BOIL the water.... kinda like what happened when the probe started evaporating the oceans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    IMO, "Midnight" was as close to a TOS-style ending as I have seen in STO to date. It would have been interesting to have optional endings, but there was enough uncertainty in the mission to keep it interesting, and in the end, the Alliance maintains the dignity of its principles (mostly). One is left with the taste of irony with respect to the tensions that drive us to make hard choices, just as TOS episodes often did. I give Cryptic a "thumbs-up" for writing a pausible ending to a problematic story arc. B)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    Klingon is not about killing is about killing with honor, we dont kill for pleasure like other races do, we fight and died with honor. Kagran explained that in the several exchanges with Sela, you dont kill innocent people. At that particular time in history the Iconians were a peaceful race.

This is a culture that enslaves races because they're weak and kills it's captains for incompetence. What greater honor can there be than to save the Empire and the galaxy from a race bent on universal genocide. Sorry but I'm just not buying it. This would be like a Klingon captain refusing to fight because a few innocents were on board an enemy ship that might get hurt , someone like that would get executed or sent to Rura Penthe.

The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    Klingon is not about killing is about killing with honor, we dont kill for pleasure like other races do, we fight and died with honor. Kagran explained that in the several exchanges with Sela, you dont kill innocent people. At that particular time in history the Iconians were a peaceful race.

This is a culture that enslaves races because they're weak and kills it's captains for incompetence. What greater honor can there be than to save the Empire and the galaxy from a race bent on universal genocide. Sorry but I'm just not buying it. This would be like a Klingon captain refusing to fight because a few innocents were on board an enemy ship that might get hurt , someone like that would get executed or sent to Rura Penthe.

Enslavement is one thing, you're typically not taking lives unnecessarily in that situation, exectuting a crew member who called themselves a warrior and wound up putting their crew in unnecessary risk due to incompetance is another, both in their way are honorable actions.

Killing innocents who are incapable of fighting back is murder, there is no honor in murdering the innocent, from a klingon point of view it is far better to return and be slaughtered by the heralds than to murder the iconians as they were.
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    bluedarky wrote: »

Enslavement is one thing, you're typically not taking lives unnecessarily in that situation, exectuting a crew member who called themselves a warrior and wound up putting their crew in unnecessary risk due to incompetance is another, both in their way are honorable actions.

Killing innocents who are incapable of fighting back is murder, there is no honor in murdering the innocent, from a klingon point of view it is far better to return and be slaughtered by the heralds than to murder the iconians as they were.

In the episode the Doomsday machine the Klingon died to save the others. This is the song he sung before dying

"Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    The blood of battle washes clean.
    The Warrior brave and true.
    We fight, we love, and then we kill.
    Our lives burn short and bright.
    Then we die with honor and join our
    fathers in the Black Fleet where we
    battle forever, battling on through
    the Eternal fight."

There is an almost poetical view of how the Klingon live and die, for some races is impossible to understand the Klingon way of life and way of death.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    edited September 2015

In the episode the Doomsday machine the Klingon died to save the others. This is the song he sung before dying

"Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    the Eternal fight."

There is an almost poetical view of how the Klingon live and die, for some races is impossible to understand the Klingon way of life and way of death.

For the unaware, a true Klingon death, with (almost) guaranteed entry to the Black Fleet, is to die in battle against an enemy of equal or superior strength, but the Klingons don't just believe in this for themselves, for a true Klingon warrior, an enemy who fights them face to face with all their strength to their last breath would be granted the same respect in their death as they would give their allies in battle.

This is also the reason why there are so many ritual suicides in Klingon culture, the Klingon culture favors your own Death over the dishonor of running or unfair fights, as such most dishonors can only be redeemed through your own death, this is the main theme behind the Execute for Incompetence missions too, you and your ship have been potentially dishonored through your crewmans actions, as such he (or she) must submit to your judgement and sacrifice themselves to restore the honor their actions have caused you to lose.

To view Klingons as nothing more than murders and slavers however is a gross misrepresentation of their culture and their attitudes towards death and battle.
  • Options

But there's honor in aiding an enemy that's going murder billions of innocents? Lets not forget he or I should say we , not only refused to kill but we actually helped them along.

This is the equivalent of going back in time to stop a person from detonating a bomb that will kill 85% of the population on a planet. Though when we get there we find out the guy is a pretty nice guy aside from the fact he'll go crazy later and kill billions of people. So we don't kill him and in fact help him build the bomb because he's not evil yet.
    So when we go back to the future the guy still detonates the bomb killing billions of people but because we helped him before he was evil he apologizes and promises not to do it again and everyone is good with that. It's one of those "wait what?!?" moments.
    This just doesn't make sense to me and I can't see a Federation captain doing this and even less so a Klingon one.

The only reason this even worked out is because in Trek no good deed goes unrewarded no matter how stupid the reasoning behind it.

• Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    raj011 wrote: »
    i felt the celebration sucked a bit,i mean i just saved the galaxy and only a few officers say thanks.
    WHERES MY PARADE WHERE IS THE FEDERATION PRESIDENT, HELL WHERE IS QUINN?

True. Just saved billions of lives. They could of added more towards the celebration.
    raj011 wrote: »
    i felt the celebration sucked a bit,i mean i just saved the galaxy and only a few officers say thanks.
    WHERES MY PARADE WHERE IS THE FEDERATION PRESIDENT, HELL WHERE IS QUINN?

True. Just saved billions of lives. They could of added more towards the celebration.

Celebration shoulda been on q'onos since thats where the coalition started, and the visit from the Iconians when the planet killer was defeated.

KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Killing innocents who are incapable of fighting back is murder, there is no honor in murdering the innocent,

Except there is. The Klingons in TNG and DS9 would happily point that out.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015

But there's honor in aiding an enemy that's going murder billions of innocents? Lets not forget he or I should say we , not only refused to kill but we actually helped them along.
    Yes, there is honour in that, because you misconstrue the situation. We are not aiding them to murder billion of innocents. We are just saving their life. The dishonour using their life to murder billions of innocents is on the Iconians. It was their choice of them to do it.

A doctor that saves a patient's life is not at fault when that patient later decides to commit a crime. He fulfilled his duty as doctor.

Aside from that, at that time we didn't know the whole thing was a predestination paradox. And if Sela hadn't interfered, the Iconians would have remembered only a bunch of compassionate aliens that tried to help them in their time of need. That could just as well have been exactly what they had lacked in the original timeline and might have set them on a better path.

This is the equivalent of going back in time to stop a person from detonating a bomb that will kill 85% of the population on a planet. Though when we get there we find out the guy is a pretty nice guy aside from the fact he'll go crazy later and kill billions of people. So we don't kill him and in fact help him build the bomb because he's not evil yet.
    So when we go back to the future the guy still detonates the bomb killing billions of people but because we helped him before he was evil he apologizes and promises not to do it again and everyone is good with that. It's one of those "wait what?!?" moments.
    The guy is sitting on additional bombs and was ready to blow them up, too, and you made him not do that. That's a win.

Aside from that... Now what do you do if you learn later that one of the guys that would have died in the second bomb explosion turns out to be an even bigger bomb maker and now kills trillions of people? Are you also responsible for that? Or are you not, because you couldn't have known? But objectively, you made things worse! So would you still call it a win?

The problems with time travel are numerous. The Butterfly episode probably existed to remind us of that, too. In there, the lack of Iconian activity (which actually might indicate the Iconians went actually extinct in that timeline, since there was never a reason for "The Others" to go back in time and save the Iconians. Which at least completely eliminates that predestination paradox) let to the Borg assimilating Romulus. Great job breaking it, Hero. How many more would have died or be assimilated in that timeline?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited September 2015

"Hear! Sons of Kahless
    Hear! Daughters too.
    the Eternal fight."

For the unaware, a true Klingon death, with (almost) guaranteed entry to the Black Fleet, is to die in battle against an enemy of equal or superior strength, but the Klingons don't just believe in this for themselves, for a true Klingon warrior, an enemy who fights them face to face with all their strength to their last breath would be granted the same respect in their death as they would give their allies in battle.

This is also the reason why there are so many ritual suicides in Klingon culture, the Klingon culture favors your own Death over the dishonor of running or unfair fights, as such most dishonors can only be redeemed through your own death, this is the main theme behind the Execute for Incompetence missions too, you and your ship have been potentially dishonored through your crewmans actions, as such he (or she) must submit to your judgement and sacrifice themselves to restore the honor their actions have caused you to lose.

To view Klingons as nothing more than murders and slavers however is a gross misrepresentation of their culture and their attitudes towards death and battle.

A mug of bloodwine for the both of you!

I'll get this out of the way early on and be done with it. There are some doff missions I don't agree with. Most of them are a small loss for me as I don't do most of them anyway. Replicator for Nimbus, check. Spy on DS9, nope. Sell prisoners to the Orions, Hhhhhhelllllzzz NO! I have no fondness for doff missions where one takes part in slavery. I would actually like to see doff missions having to do with it be removed entirely based on principle alone. It simply has no place in this game, canon be damned. Not likely to happen, but I can dream.

I play my Klingon as one who knows a thing or two about being selective about his battles. He won't join a bar brawl at the drop of a hat, or even 5, but will fight to the end against a serious threat. He thought nothing of striking Earth itself in the war, but when he had to battle the Fek'ihri, he changed. He knew to be the greatest warrior of the age, he would have to take down the greatest threats to the Empire. To do that, he must make allies where he can, even with those currently being enemies.To him, honor is more than just a word used in threats. He sought to be honored rather than feared, and won't hesitate about earning it, including joining Tuvok in the defense of Earth against the Undine. I still am less than pleased about the dialog selection at that point being reluctant and more reluctant. I would have much rather seen the option "It would be an honor to join you in battle, Tuvok. It will be glorious!" He tries to put the best face of the Klingon race wherever he goes.

What is said in quotes I for the most part agree. There are some Klingons who do not do things honorably and decide to live to try for the throne, as did Duras. B'vat and Torg are also dishonorable to'bas, and probably spending too much time with them, J'mpok could have been corrupted by their counsel. Some like J'mpok are not perfect, but are not irredeemable bak'tag either.

As for some races who can't, or as I find it, won't understand the poetry, you can count many humans among them.

As to the result of Midnight, I was thoroughly satisfied. If there was another way that favored brutality and an outcome that differred from the FE as it is, I'd have tried that path with a Mirror Fed, if I decide to roll one. But I did like the fact that kindness and honor won the battle where thousands of ships and millions of torpedoes couldn't.

I also like that loose thread of T'ket still being a threat, It keeps the door open for more episodes involving the Heralds and keeps 2 if not all 3 STFs relevant.

As for understanding their culture, some do, some don't. I regret some of my reactions and disagreements on such matters. I no longer try to convince all that there are some decent, intelligent, actually honorable Klingons. Overall there are some bad points about their culture and some good points too. Some will just have this "disgusting, stupid, evil barbarian" in their head already and squeeze in every "fact" they can to reinforce it, excluding all of the good facts entirely. And there are those who understand all too well that Klingons, rough as they are, certainly not perfect, but not at the root of them all evil, and certainly handy in a fight.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Yes, there is honour in that, because you misconstrue the situation. We are not aiding them to murder billion of innocents. We are just saving their life. The dishonour using their life to murder billions of innocents is on the Iconians. It was their choice of them to do it.

I'm of the opposite opinion I think it's disgraceful that one would be so concerned about getting their honor a little blemished that they would rather let billions die for their own selfish needs. Good job Kargen billions died so you could hold your head hi and claim I'm honorable.
    A doctor that saves a patient's life is not at fault when that patient later decides to commit a crime. He fulfilled his duty as doctor.

So Klingons are now duty bound to save innocents were ever they may be? Great who needs starfleet relief efforts the Klingons will come to save us all riding on their white targ because they're honor bound to save all innocents.
    Seriously though just because they're bound by a code of honorable combat does not make them peace keepers of the universe.
    If he wasn't up to the task he could have not gotten involved. Kagran himself says what good is honor if everyone is dead but he goes and does a 180 degree spin when faced with doing something he doesn't want to do.

Aside from that, at that time we didn't know the whole thing was a predestination paradox. And if Sela hadn't interfered, the Iconians would have remembered only a bunch of compassionate aliens that tried to help them in their time of need. That could just as well have been exactly what they had lacked in the original timeline and might have set them on a better path.

We also didn't know helping them would have made any difference and if T'ket had her way it wouldn't have.

Post edited by vonhellsting on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Heh.... and this is why I prefer playing as an Orion pirate. Beltran LOVES pillaging! Although there is one Klingon saying he likes. "There is no greater honor than victory."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    I think this is fairly relevant to the way this discussion is going.

https://youtu.be/9PXdwqlJ19U
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    It felt like what Star Trek really is about for a change. Want to see more like it.
  • Options
    destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Just a thought, we're going to destroy the Krenim ship, right?
    Post edited by destroyer831642 on
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png